• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Don't tell me, Ferrothorn? It'll get hurt by those Iron Barbs combined with Rocky Helmet, and of course, Life Orb.
Skarmory, I'd assume.
I don't think Ferrothorn typically uses Rocky Helmet, but it will still pack a wallop.

edit: Some of the most basic checks, but even Fire Fang would be a 260 BP move against Ferrothorn (compared to, say, Brick Break's 150)

Dattebayo

Banned
^ A physical Fire move against Ferrothorn is still a no no.

Dattebayo

Banned
Even from a competitive stance, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I do know what I'm talking about, iron barbs shouldn't be taken lightly, even if it takes a bit of your HP, because then you won't be able to have enough to survive a SE move from the opponent's other Pokemon.

Grei

not the color
I do know what I'm talking about, iron barbs shouldn't be taken lightly, even if it takes a bit of your HP, because then you won't be able to have enough to survive a SE move from the opponent's other Pokemon.

Wouldn't Mold Breaker cause Iron Barbs to not affect Haxorus?

EDIT: Never mind, no it wouldn't. Haxorus could still use Fire Fang, though, considering that if Haxorus ever has to face a Ferrothorn, it can probably just be switched out for a Pokemon that can use special Fire-type attacks.

Dattebayo

Banned
Tauros is good, it finally received a stat-boosting move to abuse its physical attack. But yeah, Afro Bull is better. It just needs Zen Headbutt and Agility.

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Depending on your team stragey, taking down Ferrothorn could in many cases mean removing a very annoying wall, allowing another team mate to successfully set up or sweep. Haxorus taking some damage would probably not be a major problem then, seeing how ferrothorn would be gone (now not taking mold breaker into account, I'm not sure if it would take damage, but it could also be running rivalry). Also, it's not like Iron barbs really hurts much without the rocky helmet.
This is not what I really wanted to discuss though, as it seems from this discussion, people tend to want competitively viable moves to be available for every type, and available to most pokémon (like exactly such a fire move, or wild bolt that many with a shallow movepool got access to etc.). However, I think the restrictions really are a contribution to the meta-game, being able to check and wall certain threats as well as having to think slightly harder about which pokes to add to the team. If every pokémon could learn good moves from every type, only the ones with the very highest base stats would be popular, at least when it comes to sweeping.

Toge Tamer

<- First Radar Shiny
Generally Iron Barbs isn't a nuisance. If the only way for people to eliminate Ferrothorn is to use a physical Fire move, an ability such as that wouldn't hinder people from making that decision.

And FYI, most Ferrothorn will hold Leftovers, not Rocky Helmet.

And generally, if you feel you won't be able to survive an attack you switch out to a counter or check, unless sacrifice really is the best option. That just wouldn't be a problem for a serious competitive player.

Last edited:

tinker6bells

Meh..... Leftovers

Yes, I know this makes me sound stupid, but were do u get leftovers?! I've been lookin and lookin and i cant find them anywhere! If its through trade, don't even bothr to say that, because i live with no other kids.:587::587::587::587::587:;205;

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
Ferrothorn isn't that threatening really.. faced them..used them.. and it really doesn't do too much. the metagame is too powerful and quick to really be bothered by it.

Smogon isn't that great.

Well, BlueCookies won VGC 2010 or something, as far as I know, and he's from Smogon...

Lol what do you want, then? Fire Blast Haxorus coming off a 60 Base SAtk? If Fire Fang means it OHKOs (or 2HKOs, I don't know) Ferrothorn, then it's perfect.

Skarmory, I'd assume.
I don't think Ferrothorn typically uses Rocky Helmet, but it will still pack a wallop.

edit: Some of the most basic checks, but even Fire Fang would be a 260 BP move against Ferrothorn (compared to, say, Brick Break's 150)

Funnily enough, a set of Dragon Dance / Dragon Tail / Outrage / filler is enough to deal with Skarmory; Dragon Dance while Skarmory switches in, Dragon Tail while it *tries* to Whirlwind you, and then it's at Outrage 2HKO range.

Ferrothorn isn't that threatening really.. faced them..used them.. and it really doesn't do too much. the metagame is too powerful and quick to really be bothered by it.

The metagame (at least the Smogon one, no idea about VGC, Random Battle and PO's Official Server) has not degraded into utter chaos yet just because of Ferrothorn's (and Tyranitar's) presence. Lol best wall in the game.

Last edited:

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
Hey guys thoughts on Swampert i'm thinking of using one over ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Geekachu

Yes, I know this makes me sound stupid, but were do u get leftovers?! I've been lookin and lookin and i cant find them anywhere! If its through trade, don't even bothr to say that, because i live with no other kids.

This should be in the questions thread, however they can be found in a trash can under the village bridge, as well as being held by a Munchlax in an in-game-trade, which is only available in summer.

Dattebayo

Banned
Hey guys thoughts on Swampert i'm thinking of using one over ferrothorn.

Swampert's what makes water types one of the best in the series, but I'd seuggest keeping both Pokemon if you want a sandstorm team.

Grei

not the color
Yes, I know this makes me sound stupid, but were do u get leftovers?! I've been lookin and lookin and i cant find them anywhere! If its through trade, don't even bothr to say that, because i live with no other kids.:587::587::587::587::587:;205;

That question didn't make you sound stupid. What made you sound stupid was

:587::587::587::587::587:;205;

this.

Well, BlueCookies won VGC 2010 or something, as far as I know, and he's from Smogon...

Are you arguing that Smogon should be held on the highest possible pedestal, though? Because my point was saying that that's what we shouldn't do. Smogon's not that great where it's the end-all-be-all for everything Pokemon. In fact, in the context of the original subject--in-game playing--Smogon sucks.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^This.

Anyway, How good was Archeops in-game for everyone who used it?

Status
Not open for further replies.