• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
I tried using a Archeops for competitive, and it was useless after a couple of hits with its ability.

The person who asked the question was specifically asking about in-game.

Dattebayo

Banned
I really wished it learned Sky Drop so it woudn't have to rely on acrobatics, which loses power if it holds a berry to keep its ability from activating.

R_N

I really wished it learned Sky Drop so it woudn't have to rely on acrobatics, which loses power if it holds a berry to keep its ability from activating.

Why on earth would it hold a berry?
I believe the typical set is Flying Gem to take full advantage of Acrobatics.

Would be nice if more things got Sky Drop, though.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I found this on another forum. Some Japanese people took the sprites from Pokedex 3D. I think we should use 3D sprites for the 6th generation of Pokemon games.

Do you know how much data space that would require for each pokémon so it isn't likely to happen.

BCVM22

I think we should use 3D sprites for the 6th generation of Pokemon games.

No part of this is close enough to be worthy of discussion yet.

They didn't actually "take sprites" from Pokédex 3D either; it looks like they Photoshopped the AR markers for Reshiram and Zekrom onto a Generation V battle scene, with the markers skewed and angled appropriately, and then photographed that tableau with the Pokédex's AR camera. Which is pretty clever, don't get me wrong, but it certainly isn't "zomg future of the franchise!" like some would believe.

Dattebayo

Banned
Why on earth would it hold a berry?

So its ability won't activate.

I believe the typical set is Flying Gem to take full advantage of Acrobatics.

Even without a Flying Gem, STAB Acrobatics is still good as long as it's not holding an item, which puts Archeops at a disadvantage for not using a berry to keep him alive and preventing Defeatist. That's why I recommend Sky Drop (as soon as GF fixes that glitch regarding it and Gravity in the third game).

R_N

Do you know how much data space that would require for each pokémon so it isn't likely to happen.

Not just Pokemon.
Something I think people forget when suggesting or arguing for, say, polygonal models in Pokemon games is the amount of everything else besides the Pokemon.
Off the top of my head, we have: models for different buildings (which can vary wildly from city to city), the stuff that goes inside the buildings, trainers (and their animations), attack animations, battlefields, the increased size of having full-3d towns & routes in general, the models and things that make up the routes and this is in addition to normal stuff like sound n things

Assuming everything they do is at a good quality across the board (let's use the 3d Pokedex as our "bar" for quality), it would take a great deal more space than a primarily sprite-based game would. And more space = more money

So its ability won't activate.

Even without a Flying Gem, STAB Acrobatics is still good as long as it's not holding an item, which puts Archeops at a disadvantage for not using a berry to keep him alive and preventing Defeatist. That's why I recommend Sky Drop (as soon as GF fixes that glitch regarding it and Gravity in the third game).

No one uses Sitrus Berry, and if it's a strong hit it will probably either kill him or not activate the berry in time to deactivate the ability (especially when considering entry hazards). He's better off just ignoring defenses and going for an aggressive assault. And it would only prevent it once.

Also, actually double checking Sky Drop, I don't think he'd really have a lot of use for it. It's basically a delayed Wing Attack; he avoids a hit for a turn, but he's still going to get hit the next turn. I mean I guess he could hold Leftovers with it, but that seems more suited towards more defensive birds (Mandibuzz wants this move so bad, I think)

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Also, actually double checking Sky Drop, I don't think he'd really have a lot of use for it. It's basically a delayed Wing Attack; he avoids a hit for a turn, but he's still going to get hit the next turn. I mean I guess he could hold Leftovers with it, but that seems more suited towards more defensive birds (Mandibuzz wants this move so bad, I think)

eh, the main use for Sky Drop is not for the damage or avoiding a hit, but for the "locking an opponent" feature.

Not sure if this is what Dattebayo is going after, though.

R_N

eh, the main use for Sky Drop is not for the damage or avoiding a hit, but for the "locking an opponent" feature.

Not sure if this is what Dattebayo is going after, though.

But it basically just delays that turn in a single battle. Locking them down doesn't really do much.

Now doubles/triples, there's some usefulness.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
No part of this is close enough to be worthy of discussion yet.

They didn't actually "take sprites" from Pokédex 3D either; it looks like they Photoshopped the AR markers for Reshiram and Zekrom onto a Generation V battle scene, with the markers skewed and angled appropriately, and then photographed that tableau with the Pokédex's AR camera. Which is pretty clever, don't get me wrong, but it certainly isn't "zomg future of the franchise!" like some would believe.

That said, if you view the blank image made by the same people, which has two wild-card ar cards, through Pokedex 3Ds AR mode, it fits the screen and gives a pretty good indication of what playing such a game would be like. It's damn impressive and easy to imagine they'd use it. You can't get the same impression from a still image.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
From what we know the Pokemon all together take about 500MB so if you were to think of putting all 650, that's around 2 gigs or so. And if you consider how the game carts will eventually go up to 8, its pretty easy....

Grei

not the color
Last edited:

Pokechan

HOLY WOW

I found this site with amazing artwork of the 5th Gen Starters. Here. Has anyone else seen these yet?

I figured I'd post it here since it's relevant to the 5th Gen Pokemon. Even though Samurott may or may not be able to stand like that, he looks epic. Same with... well, all 8 of the other Starter forms.

EDIT: Also, here are most (if not all) of the older Pokemon.
Wow those are amazing Pokemon artwork images! I have a question how is Sigilyph compared to Archeops? Sigilyph seems like an interesting Pokemon to use.

KickAsh

halted development
HOLY WOW

I found this site with amazing artwork of the 5th Gen Starters. Here. Has anyone else seen these yet?

[IMG200]http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog/BW/503.jpg[/IMG200]

I figured I'd post it here since it's relevant to the 5th Gen Pokemon. Even though Samurott may or may not be able to stand like that, he looks epic. Same with... well, all 8 of the other Starter forms.

EDIT: Also, here are most (if not all) of the older Pokemon.

Wow. That art was incredible. The Unovan starts look especially good, but everything from Pidgeot to Toxicroak looks fantastic.
This is really good. Who makes it?

I have a question how is Sigilyph compared to Archeops? Sigilyph seems like an interesting Pokemon to use.
Sigilyph has Magic Guard, which is neat, but Sigilyph is more of a defensive Pokemon while Archeops is a full-out, do-or-die attacker. So they fulfill different roles, but for in-game Archeops is definitely better.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
Wow those are amazing Pokemon artwork images! I have a question how is Sigilyph compared to Archeops? Sigilyph seems like an interesting Pokemon to use.

Also, this. :3

Sigilyph is a special attacker (and a good one at that). Archeops is a physical attacker that is very strong until its HP drops below half. After that, it's complete crap. I'd suggest using Sigilyph, although if you don't mind Archeops' crippling ability, I'd so no problem in using that one. Since they're both good at different things, it helps to consider how your team is as far as Physical attackers and Special attackers.

Wow. That art was incredible. The Unovan starts look especially good, but everything from Pidgeot to Toxicroak looks fantastic.
This is really good. Who makes it?

No idea. Some Japanese (I think?) artist. I found it while Google Image searching.

Accipitri

Space relic
That is cool, thanks for sharing it. I love how Weepinbell, Venonat, Mawile, Vespiquen, Carnivine, and Giratina look. I'd like to see them do Scolipede and Garbodor.

Pokechan

How are Mandibuzz and Braviary in their roles? They both have cool designs and stats in different places, but they come so late that they might not be worth training. Another issue is that they evolve so late at level 54 while there are a lot of good Pokemon who evolve earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.