• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Punk thread!

MKFC

Shade of Blue
I know that you could argue there's an Alternative Rock thread for this, but I think that this genre's evolved enough to be able to have its own thread.

...I'm not being a scrape, shut up.

Discuss Punk music here, whether it's the melodic guitars of pop-punk/emo, the extreme leaviness of hardcore punk or just plain, simple punk rock.

...Just look at the other genre threads if you want this in more detail, I cba to type it out.

And since nu-metal isn't allowed in the metal thread and post-grunge isn't allowed in the Alt. Rock thread...I'm going to be rebellious and say any genre related to punk is allowed here.

Anyway, I'm not really into much punk, but I have to say my favorite punk subgenres are centered around pop-punk, bands like Sum 41, Blink-182 and The Offspring.

GreenDay4ever

bye!, i had a blast
i like old punk bands like Sex Pistols, Ramones and such... but i also like the skatepunk music that was in 1990- 2001... old green day... blink 182 and such...

i hope moar people join this discussion :)

Rave

Banned
but i also like the skatepunk music that was in 1990- 2001... old green day... blink 182 and such...

That's called Pop Punk.

Anyways, favorite punk rock artists.

Sex Pistols will always remain up there.
Refused are fucking dead, but are fucking amazing.
MC5 and The Stooges are kinda the ones that issued in the age of punk, who I love listening to.

As for pop punk, I liked Brand New's first album which was pop punkish. And Say Anything is probably my most favorite of the pop punk genre. Not too into Blink 182, but I was a little more into Yellowcard back in the day.

Can't remember anymore atm.

RichRI322

I started taking the bus to work recently and I started listening to new bands like The Explosion, Anti-Flag, Thursday, Bouncing Souls they're all pretty good

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
One of my favourite genres! Punk Rock kind of energises me.

Favourite punk rock bands:

Billy Talent
Blink 182
Green Day
Rise Against
Limp Bizkit
Sex Pistols
Simple Plan
Sum 41

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!

Billy Talent
Blink 182
Green Day
Rise Against
Limp Bizkit
Sex Pistols
Simple Plan
Sum 41

I like some hardcore.

Minor Threat, The Exploited, Bad Brains, Danzig era Misfits, Discharge, etc.

Don't quite like a lot of the "original" punk from the 70's I've heard, to be honest... the Ramones, the Clash, etc, sure, but not a lot of it.

Zazie

So 1991
Refused are fucking dead, but are fucking amazing.

This. Some of my favorite punk and post-harcore bands include:
Husker Du
AFI
Hot Water Music
Les Savy Fav
Seaweed
Refused
Avail
Bad Religion
Pain
Superchunk (They're classified as indie, but they sound punk pop for most of their career to me)
probably a lot of others I can't think of at the moment.

I prefer punk on a song for song basis though and have found a lot of the newer bands like rise against, anti-flag and strike anywhere to be too preachy.

Last edited:

RichRI322

Bad Religion is pretty good they sound alot like Anti-Flag

Patches-Kun

Dawn Patrol
The only punk bands I listen to are The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, and Dead Kennedys. It makes up a very small percentage of my music library.

savatoreloaded

Billy Talent
Blink 182
Green Day
Rise Against
Limp Bizkit
Sex Pistols
Simple Plan
Sum 41

I always enjoy coming to this place just to see what people will refer to as punk.

My boys:
7 Seconds
Agent Orange
Angelic Upstarts
Anti-Flag
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
Big City Bombers (locals from Orlando)
Black Flag
The Bouncing Souls
Bomb the Music Industry!
The Casualties
Cheap Sex
Circle Jerks
The Clash
Cobra Skulls
Cockney Rejects
Crimeshrine
The Damned
Dead Kennedy's
Dead to Me
Descendants
Dillinger Four
D.O.A
Evacuate
The Flatliners
G.B.H
The Germs
Green Day
Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine
Koffin Kats
Lagwagon
Larf (nother local)
Lars Frederickson and The *******s
Left Alone
Leftover Crack
The Loved Ones
Minor Threat
The Misfits
Negative Trend
The Nerve Agents
Pennywise
Peter & The Test Tube Babies
Pinhead Gunpowder
Pour Habit
The Ramones
Rancid
Rites of Spring
Riverboat Gamblers
Roger Miret and The Disasters
Rollins Band
Social Distortion
The Spits
Star ****ing Hipsters
Strike Anywhere
Subhumans
Swingin Utters
Teenage Bottlerocket
Time Again
The Unseen
U.S Bombs
U.K Subs
Adrenaline O.D
Western Addiction
X
The Zero Boys

savatoreloaded

I like some hardcore.

Minor Threat, The Exploited, Bad Brains, Danzig era Misfits, Discharge, etc.

Don't quite like a lot of the "original" punk from the 70's I've heard, to be honest... the Ramones, the Clash, etc, sure, but not a lot of it.

There was actually an interview with Daryl from Bad Brains where he said he doesn't quite describe Bad Brains as hardcore. Nice little piece of history

http://www.punknews.org/article/39041

Personally I put punk and hardcore together most of the time. The two really go hand in hand and and the lines can get blurred, especially when listening to early bands like Black Flag.

New York Hardcore is unquestionably hardcore. I saw Agnostic Front touring for the 25th Anniversary of Victim in Pain, not too many punks. Me and them stayed out of the pit while the dingbat metal heads tore it up.

Last edited: