• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official PUSA Dub Discussion

Kazeromaru

See, I thought the background music sounded too synthesizer-y to be the original Japanese score. At least they kept the moments of silence on occasion, though.

I really hear no problems with the new voices (except that May sounds a smidge too old for her age, but that'll probably be fixed after a while - remember, it took Veronica Taylor a while to get a bead on the voice, too). In fact, the PUSA voice actors are actually much better actors than the 4Kids cast were - the characters' performances are nowhere near as flat and forced as they used to be. That was my main gripe with 4Kids' vocal cast in the first place; the fact that they didn't instill any sense of life or emotion in their characters. When you're out-acted by the narrator, you know you're in trouble. PUSA doesn't have that problem - Ash yells, and you get the sense that he's really full of energy. Meowth screams, and you get the sense that he's really at the end of his rope. May whimpers, and you get the sense that she's really terrified. Everyone just feels more alive now, and it allows me to really get into the show in a way that I never could in the 4Kids era. I can't help but suspect that the 4Kids purists are hating on the new actors solely because they're not the old actors - just listen to their performances, and you'll realize that they outshine their predecessors in more ways than one.

I'm also quite satisfied at the fact that PUSA isn't using digital paint. Even though all the text on the signs in "Fear Factor Phony" was that nonsensical pseudo-Japanese that 4Kids ordered (and then painted away anyway starting in Season 7), PUSA doesn't touch it at all. Without anyone imposing any ridiculous eurocentric restrictions on their artwork, I'd like to think that the Japanese producers can start to loosen up again.

So really, all PUSA needs to do is keep more of the original score (the title screen music was a step in the right direction), and I'll be more pleased with the dub than I've ever been before.

Yeah ... well, Ash sounds as emotional as a wet towel. 'Pikachu. no. *yawn*' comes to mind ... just watch 'A chip off the old Brock" and you'll see what I mean. AS for the others, May is getting better and you can hear her squeal come back, Jessie is the most true to the character that's been established over these 8 some odd years of pokemon, James sucks more than anything in the world ... Zoppi needs to improve or be removed. He just doesn't sound like James, where's the voice that can one minute be cool and suave and then can turn whiny and comical the next, depending on the situation? I dunno, it's replaced with a voice that doesn't fit the character, to me he sounds like he's got a permananent headcold.

James, Meowth and Ash need to improve, GREATLY. Listen to the people, be like NewBrock and actually come here to LISTEN and improve upon your acting for the people you're trying to please.

ASH needs to sound like he's full of energy, not "Phanpy. roll out. Now." with hardly any emotion ... now Veronica ... listen to Ash ordering Phanpy around with the new girl's voice ... listen to it carefully. Look at Ash's face, look at the way his mouth is moving, it STRESSES intense motiviation and enthusiasm for what he's ordering ... the voice just doesn't fit it ... not like ...

"PHANPY! ROLL OUT! NOW! " ... Veronica, full of life, full of energy, full of zest just as Ash SHOULD be. James, Meowth and Ash. My only gripes, if the girl playing Ash could improve a little and have more zest and emotion in her voice, she'll be true to form. James needs to sound less ridiculous ... and needs to sound suave at times, if that's not within his field of voice he should find work elsewhere.

Those are my opinions and I'm sticking to them, it's nothing I'll end up not watching the show completely for ... but it'll be what I'm grumbling about while I watch it.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Yeah ... well, Ash sounds as emotional as a wet towel. 'Pikachu. no. *yawn*' comes to mind ... just watch 'A chip off the old Brock" and you'll see what I mean. AS for the others, May is getting better and you can hear her squeal come back, Jessie is the most true to the character that's been established over these 8 some odd years of pokemon, James sucks more than anything in the world ... Zoppi needs to improve or be removed. He just doesn't sound like James, where's the voice that can one minute be cool and suave and then can turn whiny and comical the next, depending on the situation? I dunno, it's replaced with a voice that doesn't fit the character, to me he sounds like he's got a permananent headcold.

James, Meowth and Ash need to improve, GREATLY. Listen to the people, be like NewBrock and actually come here to LISTEN and improve upon your acting for the people you're trying to please.

ASH needs to sound like he's full of energy, not "Phanpy. roll out. Now." with hardly any emotion ... now Veronica ... listen to Ash ordering Phanpy around with the new girl's voice ... listen to it carefully. Look at Ash's face, look at the way his mouth is moving, it STRESSES intense motiviation and enthusiasm for what he's ordering ... the voice just doesn't fit it ... not like ...

"PHANPY! ROLL OUT! NOW! " ... Veronica, full of life, full of energy, full of zest just as Ash SHOULD be. James, Meowth and Ash. My only gripes, if the girl playing Ash could improve a little and have more zest and emotion in her voice, she'll be true to form. James needs to sound less ridiculous ... and needs to sound suave at times, if that's not within his field of voice he should find work elsewhere.

Those are my opinions and I'm sticking to them, it's nothing I'll end up not watching the show completely for ... but it'll be what I'm grumbling about while I watch it.

We must be watching different shows. The Veronica Taylor I remember had virtually no emotional vocal range, and her performance as Ash paled in comparison to Rica Matsumoto's fiery, energetic performance as Satoshi. NewAsh comes closer to that than Veronica did - there are times where it's a little understated, but more often than not, the guy sounds genuinely aggressive when he needs to be.

Any problems that anybody has with the new VAs will undoubtedly be disappearing as the season progresses. If you don't like the new voices, just give them a chance to settle into the roles, and you won't even care anymore. Personally, I think they're doing a great job right now, even if there is some room for improvement. I don't expect them to be absolutely perfect right out of the gate, but they surprised me with how good they really are right now, and I'm pleased with the changes overall.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
NewAsh definitely doesn't have anywhere near the amount of emotion Veronica had.

She's just starting so I'm not too concerned at the moment, but I seriously hope she settles into her role soon. The tone is right, but the emotion is severly lacking.

We must be watching different shows. The Veronica Taylor I remember had virtually no emotional vocal range, and her performance as Ash paled in comparison to Rica Matsumoto's fiery, energetic performance as Satoshi. NewAsh comes closer to that than Veronica did - there are times where it's a little understated, but more often than not, the guy sounds genuinely aggressive when he needs to be.

After two episodes, and maybe Ash saying two lines? Please Jessie, please...Veronica Taylor was amazing in that role, no she was not "Satoshi", but she was perfect for the role she was in.

Chris

Old Coot
After two episodes, and maybe Ash saying two lines? Please Jessie, please...Veronica Taylor was amazing in that role, no she was not "Satoshi", but she was perfect for the role she was in.
Veronica Taylor, like Eric Stuart, used to be good as their primary role. Until they decided to tinker with the character's voice. Ash went from actually sounding like a boy with some emotion to be quite high pitched and really didn't have a whole lot of effort placed into any kind of yells that Ash would be doing. Though not to the point of the newer Ash, it was still rather bad hearing a forced attempt at a yell, rather than an actual one. Ms. Taylor's Ash only had two tones. Sad and quiet during actual said moments and loud and high pitched during everything else aside from drastic moments.

HoennMaster

I thought that Veronica was always great with Ash. I had my doubts with Sarah at first but she seems to be good at the role, But I do hope she adds the needed motion to the character since Ash will be on the show for a long time.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!

I just want to put it out there right now - everyone, please stop calling me Jessie. There is no "i" in my name. I am not a girl, and my name is not an abbreviation of "Jessica". Thank you.

Ed pretty much covered what I was going to say for a rebuttal to your point, so that takes care of that.

Rex Kamex

Me said:
This thread is to discuss how exactly PUSA handles the Pokemon dub, especially compared to 4Kids since, well, PUSA is handling the dub and we'll see their first episode tonight. The only exception in the discussion would be the voices, since there is already a topic on this. That leaves the music, the script, any paint edits, etc. Or, will they, for some reason, make a new and unexpected edit in the show? What will they do with Ash's badge case? Also, if this thread is a bad idea and should be closed, then I'm sorry for making it (because people would probably discuss any dub changes in the discussion thread for the actual episodes). If it is okay to keep this thread, then... discuss (please).

Anyway...

I was just wondering... are there any upcoming scenes that if 4Kids had dubbed the show, they might've edited? Just wondering.

Anyway... only eight more minutes until two more episodes.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Their is that part wheir Brock throws off his clothes when he realizes his goal and....nevermind.

Well, 4kids began to cut out PHYSICAL CONTACT lately, and the Arena Episode has alot of that.

Rex Kamex

Oh geez... so far the Battle Arena episode has been using 4Kids music piece after 4Kids music piece after 4Kids music piece after 4Kids music piece, with one Japanese piece in the middle of it. That's just so far. Hopefully, they'll use more Japanese music in the actual battle.

EDIT: It turns out that they did!

Last edited:

Trainer Mike

Fione Luver
I want the old voices back. other than that, i like it. PUSA, please bring back the old voices, please. ='(

darza77

Banned
Ash has no emotion in his voice at all, and is it just me or did grovyle sound really messed up?

Kez

Hoenn Champion
What was the new episode like on a whole then? I heard that it was pretty good and they kept some original music.

Hikarii

Two i's, not one!
Agreed. ^^a At least in some lines, there's some.. emotion in Ash's voice as it is. For one split second I'd be like, "She's got it!" then I'm blown away with another passive line. xP I was actually quite surprised in the lines where Ash does not have that monotone voice, like when he's asking a question. There's still room for improvement. ^^

Wheel of Frontier is about to air. A chance for everyone to pay close attention to the voice! XD

Veronica Taylor, like Eric Stuart, used to be good as their primary role. Until they decided to tinker with the character's voice. Ash went from actually sounding like a boy with some emotion to be quite high pitched and really didn't have a whole lot of effort placed into any kind of yells that Ash would be doing. Though not to the point of the newer Ash, it was still rather bad hearing a forced attempt at a yell, rather than an actual one. Ms. Taylor's Ash only had two tones. Sad and quiet during actual said moments and loud and high pitched during everything else aside from drastic moments.

Kez

Hoenn Champion
When I say the episode as a whole, I do not just mean the voices. OK, I get that some people are not pleased with them, but how was PUSA with the rest? Any edits? Music? Voices for new characters? Would someone please tell me something about how PUSA is doing, without saying how monotone Ash voice is?