• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official PUSA Dub Discussion

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Well, Wobbuffet was done by Kayzie Rogers....and since she is with PUSA (she does Max now)........

The random Pokemon in Fear Factor Phony sounded like 4kids clips, or the Japanese voices.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
"Hands got handed to our homies" (or w/e they said) - Okay, that is just totally over doing it. WTF is it with this "homies" crap. That doesn't sound cool, I know it means "Friends" - but it has no place in Pokémon. Now see, that's even more Americanization than 4Kids ever did if you ask me.
I distinctly remember Meowth saying something about 'Bling' in an earlier contest episode, so..umm...yeah.
Seriously, I've heard of nit-picking, but god damn. This one takes the cake. It's like you're deliberately looking for anything as minor as possible to justify you not watching the show in english anymore.

"OMG, James said something that doesn't make him sound like a flaming homosexual! I am SO not watching this crud anymore!"

Last edited:

Konoko_Hasano

Ralts Line Samba
I distinctly remember Meowth saying something about 'Bling' in an earlier contest episode, so..umm...yeah.
Seriously, I've heard of nit-picking, but god damn. This one takes the cake. It's like you're deliberately looking for anything as minor as possible to justify you not watching the show in english anymore.
Resistance to change maybe?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
So far, I'm liking the new dub.

The voices have all improved tremendously since Mastermind, and of course by the time we're 15 or so episdoes into the season, I'm sure they'll all sound more natural.

May sounds a bit too squeaky at times, as if she's trying to imitate Veronica's "high-pitched" May, but it's decent enough.

Overall I'm fine with the new dub. I just hope Harley gets a good voice.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
We still get retarded questions regarding that event. :) The fact is, it was said. All of those mistakes happened. More than they should have. A company that was dubbing the show for 8 years shouldn't have made that many mistakes as often as they did.

You do know at this point, the cast is just starting up, right? Music? The added BGM is about on the same page as 4Kids, so I don't see what the problem is there. Though the fact that they're at least retaining some of the original BGM is better than none, like 4Kids was known for changing.

"Homies?" We've heard worse. Namely from Misty's sisters.

Only after comparing TWO episodes compared to how many that 4Kids has dubbed? Brilliant!

Okay, first of all I was mentioning that the 1st Movie errors happened years ago...and the Eyecatch error happened like what - 3 years ago? o_O I haven't seen anyone carry on about that but you, so what do you mean by?

"Far Worse?" Are you kidding me? I would rather have Misty's sisters sound like total idiots then here them use the word "Homies" - let alone Team Rocket.

I heard a little bit of BGM music, but they replaced most of it and it distracted me...4Kids replaced music that I heard sounded like Japanese music from other episodes...but this music god no.

That country music and/or pop music had no place in Sweet Baby James, AT ALL.

I could care less about an eyecatch. I don't care about little mistakes - but their was no emotion behind those voices. It seemed like James didn't really care too much about his Chimecho...the only thing that showed he cared was the image, not the voice, which ruined it for me and many a more.

I know I'm judging it after two episodes, but still - this is a disgrace. I was perfectly fine with 4Kids (except for the kiddiness) but this was unbearable to my ears.

I'm sorry but since I can't do anything about it according to you, I'll just stop watching it after 3 more episodes. If they **** up on an Ash VS Battle Brain episode I will completely boycott the dub.

For now I will continue to watch Seasons 1-8 & the 8th Movie because you know, this new dub is nothing compared to the old as of yet.

~Scott;229;

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
4kids "musical" score sounded nothing like the Japanese version, it sounded like something I would hear on a PBS show. Hell, even Spongebob has actual music playing for more then 5 seconds!

And I suggest you watch the GX dub to see how much "mastery" 4kids has with Slang.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
4kids "musical" score sounded nothing like the Japanese version, it sounded like something I would hear on a PBS show. Hell, even Spongebob has actual music playing for more then 5 seconds!

And I suggest you watch the GX dub to see how much "mastery" 4kids has with Slang.

I did watch it. And it was just as boring as Yugioh.

Did I mention trying to talk about Yugioh in a Pokémon thread doesn't convey anything. I get what your heading towards - with slang being thrown around, but 4Kids Yugioh GX doesn't explain why Pokemon USA's dub sucks now does it?

Besides, I wasn't really interested in Yugioh to begin with. I know 4Kids had mistakes, and replaced the Japanese Music starting after Johto, but atleast their music didn't murder the Emotion I was supposed to experience during the episodes, such as the Ralts. I could tell Max really cared for that Ralts, but it seemed like James didn't really care for his Chimecho very much. Country music is the 2nd worst music to use for anime after Rap.

~Scott;229;

Last edited:

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
Oh well, arguing with yall is about as pointless as attacking other people's opinions. Because they aren't gonna change. Everyone has different opinions on everything, and I say that 4Kids overall did a better job. The voices is my main complaint, the music and some of those lines just ****ed it over.

Calling me "close-minded" and "nit-picky" still doesn't explain why Pokemon USA did a horrible job.

When in fact they actually changed the majority of music, and then went as far as to use something created by 4Kids, which made their music look even worse...

Anyways, say what you want. But attacking me for being "nit-picky" about having a good dub doesn't explain why Pokemon USA did such a crappy job.

But anyway, I'm gonna give it a chance. If they screw up on an Ash VS Frontier Brain episode then I won't watch it anymore.

~Scott;229;

Last edited:
Overall I'm fine with the new dub. I just hope Harley gets a good voice.

xD Haha that is what I'm afraid of. What will Harley sound like? Ahh and how I loved his voice so much =[ But it's gonna be a while till we see him again anyways. Ooh, and I hope they don't mess up Drew's voice that much either. It's a shame we have to wait so long to see them both again.

I can't believe some people are still upset about the voices. I think they did great with them. May does sound a little older, but I think her new VA is doing well with the voice. Ash is alright. Not as good as some people's new VAs, but I'm sure we'll all get use to all the voices after a few episodes. I really like Jessie's, I think her's is my favorite out of everyone. I'm so glad James still has that 'stupid' accent to his voice xD I mean, he sounds a little smarter, but that's fine.

Rex Kamex

Guys, I made this thread mainly to talk about how the dub was handled besides the voices, since there's already a thread on that.

Anyway, I've watched the first episode. Voices aside, I thought that the episode was pretty good. While I wasn't expecting them to keep "Spurt", I didn't mind the dub theme song, though it would've been a lot better if it were longer. I also hope that in future episodes the dub uses more Japanese music instead of 4Kids music (or, they handle the 4Kids and Japanese music the way they did in Kanto- a good mixture, with moments of silence). It was nice to hear moments of silence in the episode. Oh, and I didn't like the song for the ending credits (I never liked it from the Mastermind dub.)

You're absolutely right. I just hate those a**holes for doing so. Why butcher a great production like this its insane. This is almost as bad as the One piece dub> These people shouldn't even be allowed to obtain the license for this. *Throws shuriken at TV* *calms down* *learns japanese*

Everyone has opinions, but you're comparing one episode's dub to a dub that has all of their music removed, 30+ episodes of content skipped, and lack of scenes with character development?

Last edited:

Rex Kamex

Not to mention, Spongebob Squarepants had tons of moments of silence.

All I'd want this new dub to do is keep more Japanese music in the show (particularly instead of the 4Kids kind) and I'll be happy (not that I'm upset or anything).

Kabuto

little punks!
Everyone has opinions, but you're comparing one episode's dub to a dub that has all of their music removed, 30+ episodes of content skipped, and lack of scenes with character development?

I was exaggerating. of course the one piece dub is the worst dub ever but this isn't much better. I think I have a right to complain about the pokemon dub ever since mid johto. But I'll compare the two dubs (despite them both being mediocre)

4Kids-

Better Vas
Music = PUSAs
Dialogue= PUSAs

So yeah, this is basically the same dub as before except with worse Voice Actors. Same errors and bad music as before too.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
The only 4Kids song in that entire thing was the Bellossom theme from the 2nd movie. Those horrid vocals were created by PUSA.

~Scott;229;

Crystal Clair

What will Harley sound like?
I'm hoping he sounds like those Kecleon from the Pokemon MD Special.

Honestly, I didn't think the PUSA dub was too bad. That weird song in Sweet Baby James was kinda weird.
I think the new Ash is kinda hot. It makes him sound sexy in a way. May's a lot more tolerable now that she sounds less annoying. Brock sounds good too.
Jessie now has this accent that seems sort of British.

The only thing that irks me is that 90% of the male characters besides Ash, Max and Brock sound like that Zoppi dude. James sounds like low, mild version, Meowth sounds like an "accented" version of him. Heck Meowth sounds nearly exactly like Gary. At least Zoppi can do different variations.

Overall, this dub aint bad. It's actually worth watching every Saturday morning on my dvr again because 4kids made May sound so annoying. IMO May just didn't sound good when she was done by Taylor.

I hope they do Harley and Drew well. And remember
when Gary returns, he'll sound the same.... however Prof Oak will not

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The only 4Kids song in that entire thing was the Bellossom theme from the 2nd movie.

Pfft, no it wasn't. There were plenty of other music cues that were blatantly snatched from 4Kids archives. When the Rockets were conversing with the ghost pokémon, shortly after their motto during the explanation of the ghost's plight, when the psychics and ghosts began attacking each other, with Kirlia deflecting the barrage of Shadow Balls. There were plenty of others besides these (a few of them sped up for some reason, like the jingles during Cacnea and Seviper's release), and I don't see how anyone who has been watching this show from the begining couldn't have noticed them.