• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Shonen Jump Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Old Coot
You know what the funny thing about the I"s edits are? They choose to censor the nipples there..but left ALL of Bulma's chest intact when they were bringing over Dragon Ball. Considering how kid targeted the Dragon Ball franchise is here, they chose to leave that untouched yet choose to edit a manga directly targeted for teens. Why?

Edward Elric said:
You know what the funny thing about the I"s edits are? They choose to censor the nipples there..but left ALL of Bulma's chest intact when they were bringing over Dragon Ball. Considering how kid targeted the Dragon Ball franchise is here, they chose to leave that untouched yet choose to edit a manga directly targeted for teens. Why?

You know, it one of those things that always will puzzle us.

also in the DBZ manga, they edited middle fingers

Chris

Old Coot
Viz's standards are greatly messed up. They'll allow everything in Dragon Ball despite changing the hell out of some lines that end up becoming confusing (at one point Oolong mentions Chichi had a hick accent..when the manga failed to properly give her and Goku the accent).

What's funny is that they went ahead and used the original names for the attacks and gave a small explanation of the attacks literal name meaning in English during Dragon Ball. Yet they go about not following suit with Naruto. o_O

D

drTomoe123

Edward Elric said:
Viz's standards are greatly messed up. They'll allow everything in Dragon Ball despite changing the hell out of some lines that end up becoming confusing (at one point Oolong mentions Chichi had a hick accent..when the manga failed to properly give her and Goku the accent).

What's funny is that they went ahead and used the original names for the attacks and gave a small explanation of the attacks literal name meaning in English during Dragon Ball. Yet they go about not following suit with Naruto. o_O

Viz's inconsistency disgusts me.

I LOVE Viz's version of Rurouni Kenshin. It leaves the original kanji used for the attack names while having TWO translations of the attack next to it (romaji and literal translation). It leaves honorifics and basically everything else. Sure, there are a few typos, but that's it.

Then, we have titles like Naruto and Whistle! We all know about Naruto, but Viz's overall translation of Whistle! is TERRIBLE. Worldwide soccer superstars are commonly named wrong and misspelled, brands are changed ('Mizuno', an inside joke, is changed to 'Tatsuya"??), and soccer terms are *******ized. (I don't know ANYTHING about soccer, but dang, a four-year old could point these mistakes out!) Whistle! is such a great manga with the very inner workings of the shounen spirit, but Viz's presentation of it really doesn't do it justice.

What makes it even worse, Viz's shoujo and Editor's Choice titles ALL get better translation and treatment than the Shonen Jump/Shonen Jump ADVANCED lines, plus the added bonus of being UNCENSORED. Video Girl Ai, by the same author as I"s and published by Viz, had uncensored nipples, but happened to be in the Editor's Choice line, if I remember correctly.

It might have to do with the different editors for each of the series (if so, let's get Kenshin's editor to work on every SJ series. ;D), so they need to have a big meeting and get this stuff straightened out.

Viz just needs to realize that this isn't 1998 anymore, manga is more mainstream than they could ever imagine it would be back then, and it doesn't need to be censored.

Heheh, you don't want to get me started on Tenjou Tenge. ;D

P-fan

Storm Trainer
I didn't even know that viz would edit manga, but there was some go reason. Some words are change for american reader could understand them.
There is the Shaman King editing of Ponchi's I can't said.

Chris

Old Coot
P-fan said:
There is the Shaman King editing of Ponchi's I can't said.
What's hilarious is how they even MENTIONED that tanooki were viewed as having large testicles in one of their articles long ago during part of YuYu Hakusho (I think it was) yet they go about editing away any reference to 'em.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Why would they have ANY reason to edit the Manga? The comics released are to allow us enjoy the original story and such, I feel just so, mortified when I'm not allowed to take the true whole of my faveriot comics, just because the Animé has a certain [dub version] standard to go by, I'm also-displeased by the handling of the Yu-Gi-Oh! comic and how it was rearranged to become split into certain series, i.e. when the last chapter of Volume seven was place in the begining of V8/D1.

I'm also displeased as how One Piece seems to get top priority in the Monthly Jump magizine, with issue thirty, OP has FOUR CHAPTER4444444444444444444444444 This displeased me as HnG and Shaman King are the two comic that really need polishing.

If I had some sort of positing with Viz, I'd make Jump weekly here in the states and possibly Canada, depending on sales, and collect all SJ releated titles and releasing 1-2 chapter a week, that way are issues like the Weekly JPN ones, 450 pages long! And they should also color code the pages by genre, like in a Weekly Jump magizine my friend was borrowing from a friend.

Please don't tell me tPot and Bleach are getting edited too....(meaning tell me so).

~Yuugis Black Magician

I

Ichijin

Yuugis Black Magician said:
Why would they have ANY reason to edit the Manga? The comics released are to allow us enjoy the original story and such, I feel just so, mortified when I'm not allowed to take the true whole of my faveriot comics, just because the Animé has a certain [dub version] standard to go by, I'm also-displeased by the handling of the Yu-Gi-Oh! comic and how it was rearranged to become split into certain series, i.e. when the last chapter of Volume seven was place in the begining of V8/D1.

I'm also displeased as how One Piece seems to get top priority in the Monthly Jump magizine, with issue thirty, OP has FOUR CHAPTER4444444444444444444444444 This displeased me as HnG and Shaman King are the two comic that really need polishing.

If I had some sort of positing with Viz, I'd make Jump weekly here in the states and possibly Canada, depending on sales, and collect all SJ releated titles and releasing 1-2 chapter a week, that way are issues like the Weekly JPN ones, 450 pages long! And they should also color code the pages by genre, like in a Weekly Jump magizine my friend was borrowing from a friend.

Please don't tell me tPot and Bleach are getting edited too....(meaning tell me so).

~Yuugis Black Magician

Uh... making the USSJ weekly is pretty near impossible- Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan sells exponentially more than Shonen Jump in the states. Just look at what happened to Raijin- they were a weekly US manga mag (with great titles to boot!), but nobody even noticed they existed. What happened? They went bankrupt. Plus WSJ has more than twice the number of titles that SJ has, making it easier to publish a magazine of that length. It just wouldn't work.

R

RaquazaMaster

heh, Biiig collecter. have all issues cept Zero.
My Rating for this months Issue:
I"S (Preivew): Its AWSOME!!!!! i want the GN's of it but my mom probly wouldent let me... 100000/10 (Heh, Normal mark 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10 but some o the pics aint fully.... ya know)
Yugioh: Hehe, Obelisk... MUAHAHAHAHA 10/10
Shaman king: They could make it longer... But they need SOME suspence in it 9/10
YuYu Hakusho:I havent read it yet but... 10/10 (jus cuz i like it in particular)
Hikaru No Go:That was close...

Anyopne with the GN for I"S, is it worth Getting? or do the censors make it useless?

EDIT: HEY!! Maybe we can create a Petition. Everyone who signs agrees that shonen jump should take out ALL edits, so its like they are coming strait from japan.... If you like this idea PM me and we'll talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
That's why I said gather all Jump titles (GN and all) and post a chapter a week I mean God, they seem to have enought titles to do a weekyl magizine, that is if they are gonna do it, but I guess I can thrwo that idea down the drain.

Citrus Man

Citrus Man AWAY!
Did anyone get the full I"s GN just cause they were P'Oed that it ended so soon? I know I did. I got it. all the junk they had in the monthly is in the drain

Hikaru no Go is awexome! ;324;

Last edited:
S

Shadow Xino

Shaman King - I have all the volumes out so far

in #6

[SPOIL]As his second Shaman Fight comes to an end, Yoh uses a last-ditch strategy-and his last mana-against Faust's army of skeletons! Recovering from his wounds in the hospital, Manta becomes separated from Yoh and makes a fateful decision to travel to Yoh's faraway home in Izumo, Japan...by motorcycle...with "Wooden Sword" Ryu for company! As Manta and Ryu travel across Japan, Yoh undergoes his own journey, travelling into a pitch-black cave in search of shamanic inspiration. But before the two easy riders can reach their destination, they'll have to face the terrifying guardians of Izumo, the "land of the gods"! [/SPOIL]

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
That's pretty much old news, seeing as how most of us have just read the magizine. Has anyone gotten their issue 31 yet? Spoil 'way.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Edward Elric said:
What's hilarious is how they even MENTIONED that tanooki were viewed as having large testicles in one of their articles long ago during part of YuYu Hakusho (I think it was) yet they go about editing away any reference to 'em.

I found it weird how his "Belly Buster" came out of that area and even looked like testicles.

Now I'm wondering how the Zatch Bell Manga will turn out......although, the dub is better then most dubs I see nowadays.

Chris

Old Coot
Oddly, my latest Jump hasn't come in the mail yet. o_O; Anyone else having this problem? Ain't my subscription running up since I renewed it recently.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Well, got my last issue (The one with I's) extremely early, like a week after the Issue before that.

Anyway, I usually get mine by now too.......

Memeorial Day might have something to do with it.

Rex Kamex

I haven't seen the July 2005 edition of Shonen Jump in bookstores yet. Maybe I should just do the old fashion method of going to the bookstore the day Shonen Jump is supposed to come out (which is June 7th, unfortunately)...

S

Sasuke

Well, I just got the July Issue yesterday and finished reading it yesterday to, but forgot to post about it.
[spoil]Preview of the Month: None, there was no preview for a manga this month
New manga: None, according to SJ preveiws of Mangas are taking DBZ's slot for the rest of the year.
YuGiOh: Im not a big fan of YuGiOh, but it was ok
One Piece: Excellent, but I missed all the action. Oh, and the Arlong Arc began in this issue.
Naruto: Excallent, with the end of the second exam
Shaman King: Could have been better, Yoh and Ren still fight in this one
YuYu Hakusho: Im beggining to like this Manga and I thought this was a good chapter. An added bonus was there was a half naked girl, only her chest and between her legs was covered by vines, in it
Hikaru No Go: This is one of my favorites.We begin to see how much Hikaru has improved in his game and what his future plans are.[/spoil]
Anyway, hope you guys enjoy this issue as much as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.