• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Sun & Moon Help Thread

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Dark is usually the one I use for Fighting, because you can reach it easily by pushing up four times. Only when they ask for Fighting-Psychic go for Fighting itself, that type combination has very few weaknesses in inverse, I think only fighting and rock.

Another one that doesn't have much inverse weaknesses is Psychic-Dark, for that one you've got to pick Psychic attacks, I think that's the only weakness of that combination in inverse.

thank you very much. that helps out alot, those 3 types trip me up more than a few times. ice is also a tricky one to learn that its the only weakness there, that one took me a while to get.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Assuming it had no boosts, it didn't have Salac Berry (you would have seen the activation for it I think), and it wasn't using a priority move, Choice Scarf is the only thing I can think of. Or hacks.

Thanks for the reply. It must have been a choice scarf then. It was only using one move the whole time: Iron Head. Good stuff. No wonder he has that peace sign battle pose.

porygonfan

I am trying to evolve Pichu and having no luck! Caught it wild, fed it over 35 beans, its refresh is all filled, and it's lvl 14 and still hasn't evolved!?

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I am trying to evolve Pichu and having no luck! Caught it wild, fed it over 35 beans, its refresh is all filled, and it's lvl 14 and still hasn't evolved!?

Pichu actually evolves by having a high friendship stat, the affection stat is not the same as friendship.

porygonfan

Pichu actually evolves by having a high friendship stat, the affection stat is not the same as friendship.

How do you see how friendly it is? It's been 1st in my team and I've used it for every battle and it never fainted, it blocks stat changes saying it's happy, maybe mine is glitched?

gliscor&yanmega

How do you see how friendly it is? It's been 1st in my team and I've used it for every battle and it never fainted, it blocks stat changes saying it's happy, maybe mine is glitched?
There is a Friendship checker in Konikoni City. You can check serebii to see what the quote the npc gives you means in terms of value(Need 220 at least I believe).

It's doubtful there is any glitch, it can take a while especially if you are only leveling up, believe 20ish levels without fainting. There are other means to increase Friendship which you can find on serebii.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Thanks for the reply. It must have been a choice scarf then. It was only using one move the whole time: Iron Head. Good stuff. No wonder he has that peace sign battle pose.

Yep, according to the Global Link website, 27% of Garchomps over Ranking Battles carry Choice Scarf. It's the second most common hold item for Garchomp, after Groundium Z (28%).

If you mean blocking stat changes as in it dodges moves and such, that's based on the affection stat, not happiness. A Pokémon's happiness has nothing to do with Pokémon Refresh whatsoever.

But yeah, as gliscor&yanmega said, be patient. I take it you haven't reached Konikoni City yet, so your options for increasing happiness are pretty limited at the moment.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Yep, according to the Global Link website, 27% of Garchomps over Ranking Battles carry Choice Scarf. It's the second most common hold item for Garchomp, after Groundium Z (28%).

If you mean blocking stat changes as in it dodges moves and such, that's based on the affection stat, not happiness. A Pokémon's happiness has nothing to do with Pokémon Refresh whatsoever.

But yeah, as gliscor&yanmega said, be patient. I take it you haven't reached Konikoni City yet, so your options for increasing happiness are pretty limited at the moment.

is the main reason why scarf chomp is a thing primarily to beat the fast Tapus?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
is the main reason why scarf chomp is a thing primarily to beat the fast Tapus?

Them, and anything faster than it like Kartana and Gengar and Mega Metagross, and other Choice Scarf Pokémon. Garchomp is a Pokémon meant to go first. If it can't do that, it's at a disadvantage, asit doesn't have a huge variety of moves the way Salamence does, or a sought-after Ability the way Dragonite does.

The Choice Scarf is far less common in double battles than single battles, however. In double battles, Garchomp is supposed to be highly adaptable and all-purpose, meaning it needs other options for moves, like Groundium Z or Life Orb.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Them, and anything faster than it like Kartana and Gengar and Mega Metagross, and other Choice Scarf Pokémon. Garchomp is a Pokémon meant to go first. If it can't do that, it's at a disadvantage, asit doesn't have a huge variety of moves the way Salamence does, or a sought-after Ability the way Dragonite does.

The Choice Scarf is far less common in double battles than single battles, however. In double battles, Garchomp is supposed to be highly adaptable and all-purpose, meaning it needs other options for moves, like Groundium Z or Life Orb.

thank you very much for the reply. its good to know what my enemy might be holding in battles. Flygon rarely wins the speed battles VS chomp. i hate having to VS a chomp unless i got some sort of tailwind or speed advantage. or for that matter any chomp is a big threat to my team.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
thank you very much for the reply. its good to know what my enemy might be holding in battles. Flygon rarely wins the speed battles VS chomp. i hate having to VS a chomp unless i got some sort of tailwind or speed advantage. or for that matter any chomp is a big threat to my team.

My way of dealing with Garchomp is to use a slow, defense-heavy Pokémon: In these situations, the Choice Scarf becomes a liability because Garchomp gets locked into one move without any extra effect. There are other ways to deal with Garchomp too, but that's the most reliable for me. Remember that when people bring out Garchomp, they typically want to keep it in there for as long as possible. They get kind of confident that Garchomp can carry them through the battles. (Try putting Ice Beam on a Pokémon that they might not expect.)

In addition, Garchomp has no reliable priority attacks, and its Ground-type means it's unaffected by Thunder Wave. Hence, Garchomp going first is a huge part of its success.

By the way, Flygon's base Speed is 100, and Garchomp's is 102. Flygon will have a tough time outspeeding Garchomp at any rate because of that.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
My way of dealing with Garchomp is to use a slow, defense-heavy Pokémon: In these situations, the Choice Scarf becomes a liability because Garchomp gets locked into one move without any extra effect. There are other ways to deal with Garchomp too, but that's the most reliable for me. Remember that when people bring out Garchomp, they typically want to keep it in there for as long as possible. They get kind of confident that Garchomp can carry them through the battles. (Try putting Ice Beam on a Pokémon that they might not expect.)

In addition, Garchomp has no reliable priority attacks, and its Ground-type means it's unaffected by Thunder Wave. Hence, Garchomp going first is a huge part of its success.

By the way, Flygon's base Speed is 100, and Garchomp's is 102. Flygon will have a tough time outspeeding Garchomp at any rate because of that.

thanks, i do have a few options when it comes to dealing with chomp. i do run a bulky tailwind Suicune (ice beam) on my team now so my SPA Flygon can have a chance to outspeed chomp. my main counter to chomp is my ice fang gliscor. other than that i just try to out prioritize with chip damage. with my competition team i usually run a focus sash Froslass with 4 attacks including ice beam. although i always had issues beating chomp in gen6, the newest problem i have to face now are the Z moves used against me. id rather face garchomp than have to deal with those annoying Z moves. ive mentioned this before but i dont use or like the Zmoves so i have in a way put a voluntary handicap on my team with conventional items.

Last edited:

SlyFox

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I was going to do a ranked battle spot just for the hell of it however ran into a problem.
My shiny crobat (caught it in Emerald) could not participate and I can't figure out why. I could use a different pokemon if need be but I've had it for years and just want to use it. I did not use a game shark to get it. Anyone have any ideas? Bellow are his details...

Lvl 100
Lonely nature
Inner Focus
Poisoning Z
Aerial Ace
Steel Wing
Sludge Bomb
U-turn

332 HP
265 Atk
197 Def
321 Speed
210 sp def
194 sp Atk

Hyper trained

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I thought that with ranked battles the Pokemon had to either have the Alola clover or the Kalos pentagon. I'm not sure why that is, but it means that any mon originally from a game earlier than gen 6 can't participate :( sorry

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is the Pokemon Global Link website down for maintenance for everyone? I keep trying to log in to get the Heavy Ball and Rare Candy reward but it just takes me a page that says "We're currently in the process of making Pokemon.com an even better experience for Pokémon fans! Please check back in a little while. Thanks!"

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is the Pokemon Global Link website down for maintenance for everyone? I keep trying to log in to get the Heavy Ball and Rare Candy reward but it just takes me a page that says "We're currently in the process of making Pokemon.com an even better experience for Pokémon fans! Please check back in a little while. Thanks!"

For anyone that doesn't have a Japanese account, it was down. As I type this it is now back up.

porygonfan

Two questions:

1. When I select mystery gift and connect to internet nothing happens, is there something else to do?
2. If I transfer diglett or ratatta or exeggcutor from r/b/y pokebank to sun and moon will they stay normal or turn Alolan form?

Edit one more. What's the top 20 best Pokémon you should keep from wondertrade? I got charmander and beldum lvl 1 are they good?

Last edited:

SlyFox

Two questions:

1. When I select mystery gift and connect to internet nothing happens, is there something else to do?
2. If I transfer diglett or ratatta or exeggcutor from r/b/y pokebank to sun and moon will they stay normal or turn Alolan form?

Edit one more. What's the top 20 best Pokémon you should keep from wondertrade? I got charmander and beldum lvl 1 are they good?

Answer 1: make sure you chose Internet and not local. If you get a message that says the gift was not there then that just means you already received I ever the current gift.

Answer 2: I could be wrong but I believe since rattata and diglet are not the alola version they will not evolve into their alola form however because execute is the same in and out of alola he will evolve into the alola form. Again I could be wrong.

Answer 3: there's really no top 20. Your best bet is to unlock the judge feature in your pc and when you trade check the pokemon ivs a lot of people myself included trade pokemon hatched from breeding that have 4 or 5 sometimes even 6 max ivs just cause they're extra and will help others breeding their own pokemon for good ivs. Another example just last week I wonder traded 30+ adamant bagons with 4-5 max ivs and I got a mimikyu with 5 max ivs in return

SlyFox

I thought that with ranked battles the Pokemon had to either have the Alola clover or the Kalos pentagon. I'm not sure why that is, but it means that any mon originally from a game earlier than gen 6 can't participate :( sorry

Awe really? That blows I love using my pink crobat lol

porygonfan

Another question. If I transfer a Pokémon from r/b/y from pokebank to s/m, can those Pokémon then be sent omega r/s or x/y from s/m?