• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Sun & Moon Help Thread

SDR152

There aren't any further ways to get the Apricorn balls, regrrettably. They're really good to use, but it feels like such a tease. This site's Itemdex also shows where you can find Samson, though I don't think there is any list of them all in one place. Not all of them are derived from Samson though.

From what I can put together, the following are obtained through finding Samson:
Friend Ball - Malie City (first encounter)
Love Ball - Malie City (after seeing him in the other locations)
Lure Ball - Blush Mountain
Moon Ball - Mount Hokulani

The following are just available out in the open:
Fast Ball - Mount Hokulani
Heavy Ball - Mount Hokulani
Level Ball - Mount Hokulani

What I use to verify Hidden Abilities varies on a case-by-case basis. You're looking for Impostor Ditto, an ability that should activate as soon as Ditto enters the battle, which means you don't need anything special. Whenever I can, I'll look for a way to induce an automatic trigger. For instance, when looking for Contrary Fomantis, I raised a Surskit to have Sticky Web, then deployed it at the start. Each time a Fomantis appeared, I'd watch carefully and wait for the one whose Speed rose instead of fell. For Anticipation Eevee, I simply kept in a Pokémon with a Fighting-type attack and looked for the one that shuddered when it appeared. For Sniper Fearow, I watched the damage my Absol with False Swipe sustained and looked for the ones that did damage out of proportion to their normal critical hits. (It helps that most wild Fearow know Focus Energy.) For Gooey Goomy, I attacked each one with False Swipe as they appeared and looked to see if my Pokémon's Speed decreased.

For cases that cannot be verified through in-battle effects, I have a Kadabra with Role Play. I learned the hard way NOT to evolve it into Alakazam, as Alakazam learns Calm Mind instead. Role Play has 20 PP as opposed to Skill Swap's 10, though it's not that much when you often have to chain well past 20. For that, I have a huge supply of Leppa Berries.

By the way, Alolan Sandshrew's Hidden Ability is Slush Rush, is this correct? If so, one way to verify it automatically is to catch a bunch of Alolan Sandshrew and determine what the range is in their Speed stat. Then, bring in a Pokémon with Hail or Snow Warning whose Speed is more than that but not twice as much. (And a lot of healing items and PP-restoring items.) Since wild Sandshrew have no priority attacks or Speed-modifying moves, you look for the one that outruns your Pokémon when it's hailing.

The QR reader for Pokémon Sun and Moon makes use of the 3DS's bottom-quality camera without allowing you to change the exposure or white balance. The QR codes will not scan unless the room is very brightly lit (meaning I cannot scan these at night under artificial light), and for some reason, it cannot read QR codes from my monitor or tablet unless the contrast is turned up to its maximum.

In fact, my first QR code was on my computer--I had to print it out and stick the paper under direct sunlight of an open window to get it to scan.

In this situation, you would receive 4 points in Special Defense and 32 points in...Speed, or whatever stat Power Weight increases.

Celesteela is RIDICULOUSLY hard to trade for though. Every time I see one where they ask for Kartana or Buzzwole or some other Sun-exclusive Ultra Beast, someone else has snatched it before me. No other Pokémon I've seen has demand this insane.

Thanks for replying (about the QR thing). Unfortunately being in an extremely bright room didn't seem to help :/
I went into the brightest room in the house with all the lights on, the blinds open for some sunlight, and turned the 3DS screen brightness all the way up just in case. It still continued to load the cameras without actually turning them on :/

BlitzGirl41

Does the Zygarde cube that holds the cells tell you how many cells out of 100 you currently have? I decided that I won't bother re-integrating the cells until I get 100 (especially since I don't care about Zygarde anyway).

BCVM22

It does. Select it in your Key Items pocket and "Check" is among the options, which will give you your running total out of 100.

Akashin

Does the Zygarde cube that holds the cells tell you how many cells out of 100 you currently have? I decided that I won't bother re-integrating the cells until I get 100 (especially since I don't care about Zygarde anyway).

To add onto what BCVM22 said, the Cube will also tell you how many are currently inside of it, including Cells that have been added to it from Zygardes you got from other people. This can result in situations where it says you have 72/100, and then say there are currently 82 inside of it, for example. You can still make Power Construct Zygarde this way, though.

BlitzGirl41

It does. Select it in your Key Items pocket and "Check" is among the options, which will give you your running total out of 100.

To add onto what BCVM22 said, the Cube will also tell you how many are currently inside of it, including Cells that have been added to it from Zygardes you got from other people. This can result in situations where it says you have 72/100, and then say there are currently 82 inside of it, for example. You can still make Power Construct Zygarde this way, though.

Thanks for the responses! I just haven't selected the item, since, without bikes and other such items this gen, I am under the impression that not many Key Items are interactive.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Question about EV Training through the Plaza. Can you EV train a stat all the way to 252 that way or does it cap at 100 like the vitamins?
Shameless self-quote, but answer plz.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Shameless self-quote, but answer plz.

Seeing as you can only purchase them once per day, I doubt there is a limit. Haven't bothered to test, though. The once per day limit is too slow for me.

Why not just use Poké Pelago instead? it doesn't cost anything (unless you speed it up with beans) and It definitely doesn't have a limit beyond the 252 stat limit. I've EV trained quite a few pokémon using it now and I think it's great.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Yep. I can't find your Litten in the listings. Just another one of the numerous bugs the online aspects of Sun and Moon have I guess. I don't want to complain too much since the Festival Plaza missions work fine, but I hope they get a patch out soon.

Btw, lol at what most others want in exchange for their Littens. XD

I took the Litten off and traded it the other way so that's why it wasn't there. I wonder if something I put up would appear now. I'll test later.

I haven't been on the GTS since but I'm guessing people are wanting Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Type: Null and Ultra Beasts for them? That's what they wanted last time I looked. Do these players really think someone will be dumb enough to trade a legendary for something like Litten? The GTS never changes.

goodpeople25

Well with multiple of some UBs and legendaries it's not quite the same as it used be. The thing with the GTS Situation I noticed is that razor claw hunting could be quite profitable with Weiviles bieng part of the dex.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Thanks for replying (about the QR thing). Unfortunately being in an extremely bright room didn't seem to help :/
I went into the brightest room in the house with all the lights on, the blinds open for some sunlight, and turned the 3DS screen brightness all the way up just in case. It still continued to load the cameras without actually turning them on :/

Heh. Looks like I'm not the only one who is having a problem with QR codes. I'm trying to scan the one on Serebii's page concerning Magearna, but I got a message saying something like "this QR code cannot be scanned with this system". This sounds different though I think.

This is my first time trying out scanning a QR code btw.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Okay..... somebody please explain to me how I'm supposed to compete in this tournament to get 50 BP? I only want to "participate" to grab the BP to get a King's Rock and complete my dex.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
If I scout a trainer in the Battle Tree, and I end up facing them again, can I update their team or are they stuck using the same ones permanently?

MrSkuz

After I first got to battle Tapu Koko, I one hit ko'd him. I came back and fought him again, but failed to catch him because I ran out of balls, and I forgot to save before. Now when I go up to its shrine and touch the statue, nothing happens. Can I still catch Tapu Koko?

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Okay..... somebody please explain to me how I'm supposed to compete in this tournament to get 50 BP? I only want to "participate" to grab the BP to get a King's Rock and complete my dex.

if you just want a king's rock, forget the BP path, its too slow/hard.

get a pkmn with compound eyes in 1st slot in your team and follow it with a frisk/thief or basic capture of a hariyama in poni plains. you are looking for the rustling grass in 2 spots in poni plains. i got 4 kings rock within 1 hour or less of searching from the hariyama in poni plains. i believe compound eyes makes the 5% chance of kings rock into 10-20% of appearance. just exit the path and re-enter if you dont get luck in the first 2 attempts. it will save you hours of BP grinding.

Last edited:

Hyokaze

Heh. Looks like I'm not the only one who is having a problem with QR codes. I'm trying to scan the one on Serebii's page concerning Magearna, but I got a message saying something like "this QR code cannot be scanned with this system". This sounds different though I think.

This is my first time trying out scanning a QR code btw.

Alright I'll see if I can help.

First thing to check is if you're using the the right QR code (Not all regions are the same).

Second, one thing that I've done before is if it isn't registering, is to highlight the image, and zoom in as much as possible (This almost always does the trick).

Also (just in case) the code needs to be done in the in-game menu, and not the 3DS Camera app.

Hyokaze

After I first got to battle Tapu Koko, I one hit ko'd him. I came back and fought him again, but failed to catch him because I ran out of balls, and I forgot to save before. Now when I go up to its shrine and touch the statue, nothing happens. Can I still catch Tapu Koko?

Yeah you can, just beat the Elite Four again and any Legendary you've knocked out will respawn.

Last edited:

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
Question about/for anyone who has a 5 Star Dye shop in Plaza.

I have a 3* Orange Dye shop, with pastel/dark orange colors available. I am aware that 1* is pastel only and 3* is pastel/dark/bright. However, my question is about the berry dyeing part.

Even though the 3* Orange can dye all stuff pastel/dark orange, using berries for all the other colors ONLY allows the Dark option. Does this stay the same for a 5* berry dye shop? If that is the case, would having a 1* + 3* + 5* shop be ideal to have all available colors (either by the stands natural color or by berry dye?). Considering how EASY berry farming is now, I'd much rather pay for colors via berry than FC (FC collecting is booooooooring and long).

All the other plaza stands are kinda useless to me, and wasting 1800 FC for 7 color stands seems kinda pointless when you can get all colors with just 3.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Question about/for anyone who has a 5 Star Dye shop in Plaza.

I have a 3* Orange Dye shop, with pastel/dark orange colors available. I am aware that 1* is pastel only and 3* is pastel/dark/bright. However, my question is about the berry dyeing part.

Even though the 3* Orange can dye all stuff pastel/dark orange, using berries for all the other colors ONLY allows the Dark option. Does this stay the same for a 5* berry dye shop? If that is the case, would having a 1* + 3* + 5* shop be ideal to have all available colors (either by the stands natural color or by berry dye?). Considering how EASY berry farming is now, I'd much rather pay for colors via berry than FC (FC collecting is booooooooring and long).

All the other plaza stands are kinda useless to me, and wasting 1800 FC for 7 color stands seems kinda pointless when you can get all colors with just 3.

id also like to know more about this too. i only have team green 1* atm but hope to find green 5* someday and use berries for the other colors.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Darn. It's a good thing, then, that I accidentally left one pair of double battle in-game trainers unfought. I'll save that for when I want to make a set of moves for Smeargle...wait, nevermind. Smeargle can only ever have one Sketch at a time. Dangit!

One trick for teaching Smeargle specific moves is by using wild Ditto. Get a pokémon that only knows the move you want your Smeargle to learn up front (yes, there's an actual use for the Move Deleter right here), and Smeargle in another slot in your party. Look for a wild Ditto and let it transform into your first pokémon, then switch to Smeargle. As the transformed Ditto will only know one move, it will be guaranteed which move it will use and you can easily sketch it.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Regarding the Magearna QR code, if I scan it into my game, collect the Pokemon and then start a new game, can I rescan the code to get another Magearna? I'm guessing you can but I want to be sure before I collect mine.