• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Sun & Moon Help Thread

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
Anyone have pics of the Subdued/Fairytale theme castle?

Debating if I feel like working towards a new theme or leaving my plaza with Glitz.

SDR152

In regards to ev training, do evs for hp only show up upon level up? That used to be a thing in gen 4 but I believe 5 and 6 got rid of that. I ask because I was ev training my pokemon (and yes it was only in the 20s but still-) but hp didn't seem to change until it leveled up during the S.O.S. ev training chain (and level up brought with it 8 evs to hp). So not sure if it's just because it's still low level and not all evs are shown to be used yet or if they changed the mechanic (at least in regards to hp, don't think it affected sp def but not sure) back to gen 4 with evs only being applied to level up?

HP EVs are counted when the battle ends or upon leveling up. If you're defeating a bunch of Pokémon in an SOS chain, the Pokémon you're raising won't have its HP increase mid battle unless you level up. If you were to end the battle (by either running, being forced out by Roar or something similar, knocking out the last Pokémon, etc.) and NOT level up, the HP would increase on the Pokémon's status screen. This is actually how all the stats work. They won't show gain mid-battle, only after or upon level up.

SDR152

Have you tried other apps on the 3DS that use the outer camera, such as 3DS Camera or Face Raiders? If so, what do they look like? Do they function properly?

Well, you're still ahead of me on both fronts.

I've not seen anything significant about the Pokémon revealed in scanning QR codes, though they are consistent if you scan the same one more than once. Either it's there to provide the illusion of having a random Pokémon from the Island Scan, or it's just introducing new players to the idea that there are more Pokémon than just the ones on Alola.

Yeah I've tried checking the camera in other apps and it still functions normally. I even went into the System Settings and tried recalibrating it, but that only changed the 3D functionality on the camera. It's just really weird that it only seems to be my game having this specific problem with the QR Scanner.

Aetius

That's incorrect--as long as at least one Pokémon of the original species or its evolution line is still on the field, the chain will continue. It is broken only if the battle ends or if there are only wild Pokémon of a different evolution line.

For instance, you attempt to SOS chain Pancham on Route 17. It's raining. These are the rules:
1. If Pancham summons another Pancham, you can knock out the first one and continue the chain as it's the same species.
2. If Pancham summons a Pangoro, you can knock out the first one and continue the chain, as Pangoro is part of the same evolution line.
3. If Pancham summons Goomy, knocking out Pancham will break the chain because Goomy is not the same species or the same part of the evolution line.

I knew I was wrong. XD
Thanks for the clarification. :D
Anyway, can you help me with what I asked just above?
I would really appreciate it.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
The three-star dye services have the dark color. It's the five-star ones that offer the medium color in addition to pastel and dark. (Also, before you ask, sorry about it, but I wasn't sure if you wanted my Team Green three-star or not, so I've since changed it to Team Purple three-star.)

im sorry about that, dont worry about it too much. i was looking to get the pastel and dark varieties for the stalls. i got an idea for a dark red/pink outfit to match to some character's from an anime series but lack the dyes for it. i am growing out a bunch of berries for certain colors. i got an ample supply of ev berries atm so im just making the other berries more plentiful. though doesnt 5* give the bright green rather than medium shade? ive seen some players during missions with bright green and i wasnt the tone i was looking for.

@clbgolden12: yes it is still active as a chain, Ophie sums it up very well for the SOS battles.

There's something that I still cannot understand...
Why my Pokèmon on Avue island started losing happiness when 24 hours didn't even pass?
Today at 00.15 AM I put them on the island and then at 19.00 PM I turned my console on and went to check how they were doing.
When I did, I found out that they were losing happiness...
Can someone explain why this happened?
The effect of the Pokèbeans was still active by the way.

the pokemon lose happiness if they are left too long in the pokepelago area there. i havent tried that part yet but i suggest you pull them out before they lose happiness in the future. you might've also had some happiness values on them to begin with which might have made them max out earlier than expected.

once the happiness is maxed out they will continue to lose happiness if left too long, i suggest you take them out and do what you need to do to max the happiness again.

EDIT: i did the soft reset trick and was offered purple3* and red 3* 2x. i didnt save them but i did try the red dye variety for a little test for the clothing. it was a satisfactory result for what i was looking for. i managed to SR green 3* and i was also offered orange 5* but chose green 3*. i'll settle or green 3* for the time being but will aim for green 5* next time so i can dye the needed clothing to what i want.

Last edited:

YonaNoveau

So, been thinking on giving a shot at the battle tree. For that I was thinking on building a good team with proper Natures, Abilities, EVs and IVs. I was wondering something. Well, from what I know Pokemon Bank is still some months away to just transfer my older teams, so to start making new teams in this games what's better, start breeding or try to get bottle caps for Hyper Training. I remember that in XY you could get Pokemon with two perfect IVs in Friend Safari (IIRC or was it somewhere else?) and also hidden abilities. From what I know HA aren't available yet this time around, Dittos are catcheable in the route where Sophocles' trial is. Is there a way to get a good start for IVs? Also is there a good place to level up for level 100 for Hyper Training?

Thanks in advance!

KillerDraco

Is there a way to get a good start for IVs?

SOS battles. Every 10 Pokemon you chain guarantees a perfect IV, up to a maximum of 4 perfect IVs on a chain of 40+.

Also is there a good place to level up for level 100 for Hyper Training?

Elite Four and Poke Pelago. The postgame Poni Island Routes work to an extent but you'll notice they fall short when you get to about the 70's.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
is there any ideal way to SOS call riolu while avoidng having them use final gambit outside of pure luck? i want to get a female in a certain ball but the final gambit looks like its gonna be a pain to deal with, same for reversal on snorlax.......

goodpeople25

A ghost type should do it, missing doesn't seem to make it faint like some similar moves. (Though this is just going off the bulbapedia page)

nel3

Crimson Dragon
A ghost type should do it, missing doesn't seem to make it faint like some similar moves. (Though this is just going off the bulbapedia page)

thank you very much, i'll put my Dhelmise to work to get my riolu. i dont know why i didnt consider ghost typing....

edit: it worked wonders now i only run into issues spamming swords dance and rapid spin KO'ing the other riolu. they cant touch dhelmise which means i can stall time with potions...

Last edited:

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I think I already know the answer to this, BUT: When a Pokemon's met date is before the release of Sun and Moon, that's just because the person either a) fiddled with their 3DS clock for some reason or another or b) their 3DS clock was just off, correct?

I know this was an issue in VI and previous gens, but I don't know if it was confirmed for VII.

Juan87

Pokeball question: is it possible to get more than one of the johto custom pokeballs? That Samson Oak gives you, I'd like to buy/get more lure balls if possible?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yeah I've tried checking the camera in other apps and it still functions normally. I even went into the System Settings and tried recalibrating it, but that only changed the 3D functionality on the camera. It's just really weird that it only seems to be my game having this specific problem with the QR Scanner.

I see. And it's like this no matter how brightly lit the areas is, is it? The QR scanner in this game is ridiculously underexposed, so even normal lighting can look like total darkness.

I knew I was wrong. XD
Thanks for the clarification. :D
Anyway, can you help me with what I asked just above?
I would really appreciate it.

While I have found cases of Pokémon losing happiness, I don't now what triggers it. However, I have found no cases of Pokémon losing happiness when you keep them in Avue for so long that they have dizziness spirals over their heads.

im sorry about that, dont worry about it too much. i was looking to get the pastel and dark varieties for the stalls. i got an idea for a dark red/pink outfit to match to some character's from an anime series but lack the dyes for it. i am growing out a bunch of berries for certain colors. i got an ample supply of ev berries atm so im just making the other berries more plentiful. though doesnt 5* give the bright green rather than medium shade? ive seen some players during missions with bright green and i wasnt the tone i was looking for.

Yes, it's the bright shades. That was my mistake.

So, been thinking on giving a shot at the battle tree. For that I was thinking on building a good team with proper Natures, Abilities, EVs and IVs. I was wondering something. Well, from what I know Pokemon Bank is still some months away to just transfer my older teams, so to start making new teams in this games what's better, start breeding or try to get bottle caps for Hyper Training. I remember that in XY you could get Pokemon with two perfect IVs in Friend Safari (IIRC or was it somewhere else?) and also hidden abilities. From what I know HA aren't available yet this time around, Dittos are catcheable in the route where Sophocles' trial is. Is there a way to get a good start for IVs? Also is there a good place to level up for level 100 for Hyper Training?

Thanks in advance!

Whether breeding or Hyper Training is better will depend on the Pokémon itself. Breeding is better if you're starting from scratch, whereas Hyper Training is better if you already have the Pokémon you need with only suboptimal IVs, if you have a lot of Bottle Caps (I have 11), or if it's an unbreedable Pokémon, like Legendary Pokémon, Ultra Beasts, or Ditto.

Hidden Abilities ARE available: Every wild Pokémon species in Alola that has a Hidden Ability can have it eventually pop up as an SOS-summoned Pokémon. Under normal circumstsances, they most often appear after the 15th Pokémon in the chain. SOS chaining is, in fact, what I did so I could use Rough Skin Garchomp for the Battle Tree.

In addition to the Elite Four and Isle Evelup, there's also the Rare Kitchen in Festival Plaza. They are seldomly found (true to their name), but even a 1-star Rare Kitchen has the Rare Dinner, which, for 100 FC, lets you take a Pokémon whose level is 78 or below and have it gain 7 levels immediately like that. I have not been able to get the 3-star or 5-star Rare Kitchen (I had the opportunity for the latter, but at 1,500 FC to install, I didn't have enough), but I hear the 5-star Rare Kitchen has a means to bring a Pokémon at a specific level (89, I think) straight to Level 100.

edit: it worked wonders now i only run into issues spamming swords dance and rapid spin KO'ing the other riolu. they cant touch dhelmise which means i can stall time with potions...

You don't need to stall with Potions. If there is a turn where you're best off doing nothing, use up an Adrenaline Orb. It will fail, and you won't lose one for it. This means you can stall indefinitely without running out of anything.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
This may be a weird question but does anyone know if there is a compass of some sorts in places where the Rotom compass doesn't work? Primarily asking for the desert on the third island (where all the Sandile are), the camera angle is inconsistent between areas and it makes it easy to get lost. I feel like I went west a lot in there and then south and then I suddenly ended up where I started again.

Aetius

While I have found cases of Pokémon losing happiness, I don't now what triggers it. However, I have found no cases of Pokémon losing happiness when you keep them in Avue for so long that they have dizziness spirals over their heads.

I see....thanks anyway for your kind assistance. :D

My question just sort of got answered looking through this page. I was going to ask about the lack of Pokemon from earlier games in the GTS but apparently you can't transfer to Sun and Moon yet with Pokemon Bank? When will that be possible?

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
My question just sort of got answered looking through this page. I was going to ask about the lack of Pokemon from earlier games in the GTS but apparently you can't transfer to Sun and Moon yet with Pokemon Bank? When will that be possible?

Sometime in January is the only information we have on the pokebank update I'm afraid. But it will coincide the the original RBY connection to pokebank as well

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Ive got a bunch of questions related to SOS battles

1) Serebii's wild pokemon listings are confusing when it comes to the weather-triggered SOS battles. Why are Castform and the others listed as Initial Slot? they only appear when another pokémon calls for them, don't they?

2) Do Castform and the other weather-triggered pokémon appear no matter which pokémon starts the battle?
Edit: One finally appeared while I was chaining Pelipper. Im guessing it doesn't matter who you battle first.

3) I don't like how often help doesn't appear when they call for it. Do some pokémon have a better chance of help appearing than others?

4) Do Adrenaline Orbs have a time limit or do you only need one for an entire chain?
edit: I got the answer to this one. Attempting to use a second one yields the message, "it had no effect."

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

welcometorapture

This may be a weird question but does anyone know if there is a compass of some sorts in places where the Rotom compass doesn't work? Primarily asking for the desert on the third island (where all the Sandile are), the camera angle is inconsistent between areas and it makes it easy to get lost. I feel like I went west a lot in there and then south and then I suddenly ended up where I started again.

Haina desert is purposefully disorienting though. Maybe you're aware but you have to follow set patterns to get where you wanna go. The routes you have to take are marked by rocks piled on each other. To get to the ruins, I think you have to follow the 2-1-4-3 or somesuch (numbers indicate piled rocks).