• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Sun & Moon Help Thread

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
i have a quick question about hacked pokemon and getting your games online functions disabled.

i breed my pokemon myself or catch them or soft reset some etc.

however i have traded for the odd pokemon with a desirable hidden power such as manectric with HP ice. hes also shiny. not sure how legit it is. He is currently in my Alpha Sapphire game.

so im wondering how safe it is to bring him over through pokebank. if it was a generated pokemon but is still within the realms of 'its technically' possible to obtain will it count as a hack and will my Moon game be penalized for it?

thanks.

If it can pass through the pokebank- Consider it legit. If it was artificially created- you didn't do it yourself and your game data is legal so you can't be banned for any of that. If the Manetric does have illegal flags- it simply won't be able to be transferred through the pokemon bank.
But you won't ever receive a game ban unless you're the one editing the data on your games.
Hope that clears up your worries :)

Jacianna

So I'm not sure if this has been asked yet but I haven't been able to find a definite answer but... does anyone know if they have mythical pokemon besides Mew allowed on the pokemon Wifi? Also, will the Wifi allow you to use the Gameboy Virt Console pokemon?
Cause I remember when I was trying to battle a friend it wouldn't let me use my Red transferred Charizard in the battle, kept saying it wasnt allowed and it wasnt letting me use Mewtwo when I tried testing it out, but this was all on the first day of the pokebank release. Is it possible it has been changed yet?

YonaNoveau

Okay, I had a weird issue with my file getting corrupted and then "uncorrupted".

At first my game froze at the battle tree a couple of times, once during a streak and once while manually saving in front of the reception lady. The game just got stuck in the "saving" clock animation and nothing could be done except turn off the 3DS. Then it happened again when I went to the Pokemon League location to catch a Vulpix, game froze during Saving and had to turn off the 3DS. After that when restarted the game a message said that the save file was corrupted and I should check the manual. The manual itself didn't say anything about corrupted files, but did mention that by pressing B+X+Up you could delete the file. So I tried to see what happened. In the corrupt file screen I tried that and the game asked me if I wanted to delete the file, I said no, then the game started as normal. After that I could save normally once then it froze again when tried again to save and got the Corrupt File screen again.

I decided to simply try to take out all my Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank to save them in the case however the Bank simply did not recognize the save file and said that there were no save files to work with. I tried again with the game, put the input to delete the file, chose no, the game didn't begin, I restarted the game and this time it said the cartridge was removed and I had to put it again. Removed the cartridge and put it again, the game started normally, could save normally and then the Bank did recognize the file so I could take out almost all of my pokemon.

After that the game has worked normally, no further problems with saving or anything (though I have avoided saving in the places where the game froze). I did take out all of my pokemon and put them in the bank just in case, using just a few pokemon in case the file gets corrupted again and I can't fix it.

I looked for possible answers to why this happened. All I could find was that the issue happens to hacked games due to a specific file creating issues in the game. However, I don't hack. I don't even know how to hack the game. The most I can think of is that I have gotten hacked Pokemon via the GTS or Wonder Trade in past generations given I haven't traded yet in Sun and Moon and even then all my Pokemon could pass through the Pokemon Bank without problem. So I really don't know what's the deal, especially since the corruption of the file goes on and off.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
thanks, i'll keep it in the 3ds for the time being. i dont have any urgent need to get on the 2ds anyway.

WOW, i really regretting not checking the item on Froslass before submitting a team. i wont be able to get very far with the team i put in and already the Z moves VS me are plain annoying... too bad they cant have a gen7 tourney without Zmoves.

something tells me im not gonna have much fun in gen7 battles..

At least you won't have to deal with more than one Z-Move per opponent. I was at the Anaheim Regionals, and I didn't know it was best 2 out of 3. I got used to seeing the opponent use a Z-Move and assuming it's the only Z-Crystal they have, and it really threw me for a loop when I'd see a second Pokémon use a Z-Move.

This is the hypothetical cross-section of people you've created, which is only people who fit all of the following:

• Already owned a 3DS system
  • Bought a second system bundled with digital Pokémon Red/Blue
  • Did not do a system transfer to their new hardware
  • Started playing Pokémon Red/Blue on the system that was not signed in to their Pokémon Bank account

That is a very specific set of conditions, a set of conditions in which most people will not find themselves if they care enough about Pokémon to eventually transfer their digital Generation I Pokémon. I think if you were to poll any sample of Pokémon fans, you would find a bare minimum who fall into all four of those criteria and find themselves in the same spot you are - a spot, I might add, that is not without a way out, as I detailed earlier. How exactly would you have had Nintendo guard against users tripping themselves into this spot in the first place?

Programming-wise, Nintendo and its 2nd-party companies tend to be of the sort to account for every possibility and every combination of possibilities, and Pokémon is one such case. That being said, this concerns a specific combination of software and hardware, and it's more up in the air regarding that.

...because... why would anyone need that spelled out? How could it have possibly worked any differently?

Well, I can think of a line of logic leading to that: Pokémon Bank was promoted as a means to store your Pokémon via cloud storage. The biggest thing people know about cloud storage is that the data is stored somewhere other than the device and can be accessed from anywhere using any authorized device. Thus, I can see people thinking that, because Pokémon Bank uses cloud storage, they assume they can take their Pokémon out from any other device using their Nintendo Network ID and also has Pokémon Bank. (I am anticipating Game Freak doing this for upcoming Nintendo systems, by the way.)

I've also been in a line of work that drilled into me that it's impossible to completely foolproof anything. Someone will eventually stumble into a bad situation and need help getting out of it.

So I'm not sure if this has been asked yet but I haven't been able to find a definite answer but... does anyone know if they have mythical pokemon besides Mew allowed on the pokemon Wifi? Also, will the Wifi allow you to use the Gameboy Virt Console pokemon?
Cause I remember when I was trying to battle a friend it wouldn't let me use my Red transferred Charizard in the battle, kept saying it wasnt allowed and it wasnt letting me use Mewtwo when I tried testing it out, but this was all on the first day of the pokebank release. Is it possible it has been changed yet?

I have seen Mewtwo used online. I have also seen Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Yveltal, Darkrai, Kyurem, Victini, and Meloetta used online, so I can confirm they are available. (And if Yveltal can be used, Xerneas can too.)

Okay, I had a weird issue with my file getting corrupted and then "uncorrupted".

At first my game froze at the battle tree a couple of times, once during a streak and once while manually saving in front of the reception lady. The game just got stuck in the "saving" clock animation and nothing could be done except turn off the 3DS. Then it happened again when I went to the Pokemon League location to catch a Vulpix, game froze during Saving and had to turn off the 3DS. After that when restarted the game a message said that the save file was corrupted and I should check the manual. The manual itself didn't say anything about corrupted files, but did mention that by pressing B+X+Up you could delete the file. So I tried to see what happened. In the corrupt file screen I tried that and the game asked me if I wanted to delete the file, I said no, then the game started as normal. After that I could save normally once then it froze again when tried again to save and got the Corrupt File screen again.

I decided to simply try to take out all my Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank to save them in the case however the Bank simply did not recognize the save file and said that there were no save files to work with. I tried again with the game, put the input to delete the file, chose no, the game didn't begin, I restarted the game and this time it said the cartridge was removed and I had to put it again. Removed the cartridge and put it again, the game started normally, could save normally and then the Bank did recognize the file so I could take out almost all of my pokemon.

After that the game has worked normally, no further problems with saving or anything (though I have avoided saving in the places where the game froze). I did take out all of my pokemon and put them in the bank just in case, using just a few pokemon in case the file gets corrupted again and I can't fix it.

I looked for possible answers to why this happened. All I could find was that the issue happens to hacked games due to a specific file creating issues in the game. However, I don't hack. I don't even know how to hack the game. The most I can think of is that I have gotten hacked Pokemon via the GTS or Wonder Trade in past generations given I haven't traded yet in Sun and Moon and even then all my Pokemon could pass through the Pokemon Bank without problem. So I really don't know what's the deal, especially since the corruption of the file goes on and off.

If it involves taking the card out and putting it back in, most likely it means the connectors were slightly misaligned, and the 3DS was having trouble reading the game. This is a rare occurrence but can happen if there is a slight manufacturing defect in the shape of the game card or 3DS. It used to be pretty common in earlier days of video gaming, but it isn't completely eradicated yet. You should be careful in case it gets misaligned again, because now you know it can happen with your game or system.

Something to keep in mind, by the way, is that it's hard for a Pokémon game save to be truly destroyed without it being done deliberately by the player. Pokémon games keep three game saves: The immediate one, the most recent save before that, and a copy of the immediate one that will become the recent save the next time you save. They're updated each time you save.

i accidentally put my arcanine into my ingame party while "healing" the current ingame party with the pokemon PC. i promptly put him back on all my battle teams (including tourney team) and re-registered the current Alola team. i did manage to register the team again but did that just cancel and renew my previous competition ID?

would another attempt to put the froslass in my party be able to fix the bad item on it? i wont try it again if it cancelled my participation in the tourney but i might atleast be able to fix the bad item.

I would answer your question, but I don't want to take the risk by doing it deliberately and finding out.

BCVM22

Well, I can think of a line of logic leading to that: Pokémon Bank was promoted as a means to store your Pokémon via cloud storage. The biggest thing people know about cloud storage is that the data is stored somewhere other than the device and can be accessed from anywhere using any authorized device. Thus, I can see people thinking that, because Pokémon Bank uses cloud storage, they assume they can take their Pokémon out from any other device using their Nintendo Network ID and also has Pokémon Bank. (I am anticipating Game Freak doing this for upcoming Nintendo systems, by the way.)

And yet you had to do a fair bit of logic gymnastics to arrive at this, which reconfirms how convoluted of an issue it is to have. And if it's going to be blamed on "well, people assume things from what they've heard," that's not really a good excuse either, as Bank's own FAQ covers the subject and says, quite firmly, that you can't move your Bank account - tied to your Nintendo Network ID - from system to system.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I would answer your question, but I don't want to take the risk by doing it deliberately and finding out.

fair enough, i understand there's a pretty good risk in testing it out. i should find out in a few days to see what happens. i would try it again to fix the Froslass but rather not risk it at this point.

EDIT: is there any EV suggestion for the JPN Suicune i got from GTS. its in a love ball fron Johto lvl 41, its a calm nature with 2 perfect IV ATK/DEF with hidden power flying. im tempted to run a full HP/SPA with calm mind, ice beam, scald and hidden power flying. the moves are for the most part chosen but in still not sure if the 252 EVs should go to SPA or SDF along with full HP EVs. also if i go hyper train this Suicune can someone please confirm the hidden flying power will remain the same? i believe the hyper training will boost the stats but keep the original hidden power typing.

i put up a spare brave Tapu Fini in search for Suicune, my first UB for Suicune GTS trade got me a one nicknamed woof freeze (ORAS).......

can someone please shed some light here? i was challenged to a single battle and led with timid life orb Lucario VS their sableye. WOW missed me but hit on 2nd try, in the mean time i got 2 nasty plots up and OHKO'd sableye with flash cannon. the player brought in shiny darmanitan as next pkmn and i just OHKO'd it with vacuum wave. they took a few seconds and DC'd the battle. i tried the damage calcs with the Lucario and only came up with 1 solution to it. they must have had 0IVs in speed and SDF VS +6 SPA boost Lucario. is there any other reason for the insane damage on darmanitan? it wasnt even a a crit from what i remember it to be.

Last edited:

YonaNoveau

If it involves taking the card out and putting it back in, most likely it means the connectors were slightly misaligned, and the 3DS was having trouble reading the game. This is a rare occurrence but can happen if there is a slight manufacturing defect in the shape of the game card or 3DS. It used to be pretty common in earlier days of video gaming, but it isn't completely eradicated yet. You should be careful in case it gets misaligned again, because now you know it can happen with your game or system.

Something to keep in mind, by the way, is that it's hard for a Pokémon game save to be truly destroyed without it being done deliberately by the player. Pokémon games keep three game saves: The immediate one, the most recent save before that, and a copy of the immediate one that will become the recent save the next time you save. They're updated each time you save.

So it would be actually an issue in the physical cartridge rather than the save file itself? Do you think that by reinserting the cartridge when needed I can keep playing the game normally?

AlolaSherwood

Lost Wayfinder
Anyone else been unable to claim the most recent Global Mission award? I got my 4,000 FC and all, but the Mystery Gift part of it just always tells me 'The gift was not there.'.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Anyone else been unable to claim the most recent Global Mission award? I got my 4,000 FC and all, but the Mystery Gift part of it just always tells me 'The gift was not there.'.

you need to log into PGL site to get the code first. then go to the game start menu for mystery gift and redeem the code with the last option given.

BTW, what were the gifts? i got 2 gifts, one being the freind ball. what was the other one? i do now have 6 rare candies where as i dont recall having them before.

AlolaSherwood

Lost Wayfinder
you need to log into PGL site to get the code first. then go to the game start menu for mystery gift and redeem the code with the last option given.

BTW, what were the gifts? i got 2 gifts, one being the freind ball. what was the other one? i do now have 6 rare candies where as i dont recall having them before.

Five rare candies and the friend ball. The rare candies are for doing 5 or more GTS trades during the mission, and the Friend Ball is because we went over 2,000,000 for the mission.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Five rare candies and the friend ball. The rare candies are for doing 5 or more GTS trades during the mission, and the Friend Ball is because we went over 2,000,000 for the mission.

thank you for the answer, i have so many rare candies in X and barely any here in Sun as i dont really bother to get them. it hard to keep track of some items if i dont even try to farm them.

AlolaSherwood

Lost Wayfinder
thank you for the answer, i have so many rare candies in X and barely any here in Sun as i dont really bother to get them. it hard to keep track of some items if i dont even try to farm them.

I keep track of the Global Mission stuff because I've been obsessed with them since the first one. I really enjoy Festival Plaza, although that might be because I've never experienced any of the other side content for games with Moon being my first and then me working backwards.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I keep track of the Global Mission stuff because I've been obsessed with them since the first one. I really enjoy Festival Plaza, although that might be because I've never experienced any of the other side content for games with Moon being my first and then me working backwards.

im still a fan of the plaza but it has lately been dulled for the most part. i check Johto Tent 5* and the fortune usually dictates what i'll do. if is WT FC boost then i do that, if it the best one for any FC gain in plaza then i go full out to boost my plaza level as much as possible (atm lvl 181). if i dont have anything useful from the reading i tend to other stuff. i dont do too many missions right now but im trying to do 3 more just so i can hit 500 mission total.

AlolaSherwood

Lost Wayfinder
im still a fan of the plaza but it has lately been dulled for the most part. i check Johto Tent 5* and the fortune usually dictates what i'll do. if is WT FC boost then i do that, if it the best one for any FC gain in plaza then i go full out to boost my plaza level as much as possible (atm lvl 181). if i dont have anything useful from the reading i tend to other stuff. i dont do too many missions right now but im trying to do 3 more just so i can hit 500 mission total.

I didn't actually know that... I've just been doing the walk around and globals. Only level 60.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I didn't actually know that... I've just been doing the walk around and globals. Only level 60.

yeah, the fortune tents are very easy to overlook. you can triple the FC with the right fortune and get 60-120FC for the right/lucky avatar interactions ("listening" seems to be one of the better gains in those fortunes). other time you 2x the rewards for WT or GTS. its a bit slower there but 30 trades and the FC reward are still 60 FC or 120 gained after a box is sent out. you can get better odds for the higher ranked prizes if you have any haunted houses/lottery stalls with the right fortunes.

Last edited:

Chloe Cassandra

Long time no see.
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but if you breed an Alolan Pokémon with a regular form, will the offspring be a 50% chance to be Alolan or normal? Another thing I'm wondering about is say if I breed an Alolan Muk with a normal Muk in a Dream Ball. Does this also mean that I can legally obtain an Alolan Grimer in a Dream Ball?

Much appreciated, thanks!

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
And yet you had to do a fair bit of logic gymnastics to arrive at this, which reconfirms how convoluted of an issue it is to have. And if it's going to be blamed on "well, people assume things from what they've heard," that's not really a good excuse either, as Bank's own FAQ covers the subject and says, quite firmly, that you can't move your Bank account - tied to your Nintendo Network ID - from system to system.

Well, if someone has Bank on multiple systems, I don't see it as particularly unreasonable for people to think that they can use it as a means of transfering Pokémon from one device to another. Cloud storage is already being used as a means to share files between different devices, most notably with Dropbox. I don't think it's that much of a stretch for people to think they could use Bank to share Pokémon between different systems (especially if they don't read the instructions).

Cloud storage is something that's poorly understood though. But it's something I keep encountering with new technology: People treat it like it is magic.

So it would be actually an issue in the physical cartridge rather than the save file itself? Do you think that by reinserting the cartridge when needed I can keep playing the game normally?

Well, obviously not when you're still playing. But save early, save often. (Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that it can also be caused by physical damage to the card or the system, such as a chipped-off corner or a bent metal connector. That being said, it's very unlikely on a Nintendo system, as they're built incredibly sturdy.)

Since I can't play your game, I can't verify 100% of any particular cause, just likely ones. Certainly, when I was younger and played on my Sega Genesis, occasionally, the game would load all strange or my save data was inaccessible, and I realized one side of the cartridge was not inserted all the way in, and I am 90% sure what you're encountering is something like that.

The fact that you got your save data back means it's safe, however. The problem lies in the 3DS being unable to load or write it properly.

EDIT: is there any EV suggestion for the JPN Suicune i got from GTS. its in a love ball fron Johto lvl 41, its a calm nature with 2 perfect IV ATK/DEF with hidden power flying. im tempted to run a full HP/SPA with calm mind, ice beam, scald and hidden power flying. the moves are for the most part chosen but in still not sure if the 252 EVs should go to SPA or SDF along with full HP EVs. also if i go hyper train this Suicune can someone please confirm the hidden flying power will remain the same? i believe the hyper training will boost the stats but keep the original hidden power typing.

Suicune DOES have the defensive stats to get away with a stat-boosting move in a double battle, but either you focus on defensive Effort Points or you give Suicune a healing move (Rest is the only option I can find, but you got healing items too, like the Figy Berry). Based on my experiences playing online double battles since it got started, Legendary Pokémon like Suicune are a magnet for the opponent's strongest attacks. They're seen as big threats, and your typical Pokémon battler will want to end them as soon as possible. Suicune can withstand being ganged up on and is fast enough to take advantage of these stat boosts, but you'll need to last at least 3 turns for Calm Mind to be useful (not counting the Special Defense boosts). I've seen Tapu Fini being able to use Calm Mind really well in double battles, but then again, Tapu Fini also has Aqua Ring, whereas Suicune doesn't.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Well, if someone has Bank on multiple systems, I don't see it as particularly unreasonable for people to think that they can use it as a means of transfering Pokémon from one device to another.

I think that's a particularly unreasonable assumption, given how much of Pokémon is still physical media vs. digital. But that's neither here nor there. My point is...

I don't think it's that much of a stretch for people to think they could use Bank to share Pokémon between different systems (especially if they don't read the instructions).

...Nintendo made Bank's functionalities and limitations as clear as they possibly could, in writing. What people choose to do with that information, whether it's heed it or be ignorant of it, isn't on them.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
...Nintendo made Bank's functionalities and limitations as clear as they possibly could, in writing. What people choose to do with that information, whether it's heed it or be ignorant of it, isn't on them. So yes, I would say it is unreasonable for people to make assumptions on their own and not clarify them before using the product, when the means of clarification are fairly easily accessible to anyone.

They made it as clear as they could. But the fact remains that many people, if not the majority of people, don't read the instructions or the manual, which is why everything has to be foolproofed and designed to be usable without a hitch right out of the box. (You know, the "any key" dilemma.) The mistake made when showing off Pokémon Bank is the mention of cloud storage, which makes people think of programs like Dropbox or Soundcloud, which are designed with prolific sharing in mind. Had they just said it's a means of depositing your Pokémon to take out via the same system later, and you must be online for it to work, there wouldn't be this problem.