• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Sun & Moon Help Thread

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i got the Hoenn cap Pikachu with (iron tail), i like to put the pkmn in the pelago to level up but i need to be wary i dont lose move tutors or moves that cant be relearned. has anyone yet tested to see if the ash cap pikachu can relearn iron tail? im likely gonna put the pikachu in the party to level up to 58 but it always nags me that you cant relearn that gen7 left out of the games.

Miss Alexis

Event Collector :)
i got the Hoenn cap Pikachu with (iron tail), i like to put the pkmn in the pelago to level up but i need to be wary i dont lose move tutors or moves that cant be relearned. has anyone yet tested to see if the ash cap pikachu can relearn iron tail? im likely gonna put the pikachu in the party to level up to 58 but it always nags me that you cant relearn that gen7 left out of the games.

I just tested this and you can learn Iron Tail from the move relearner.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I just tested this and you can learn Iron Tail from the move relearner.

thanks, thats good to hear. im thinking of keeping the moveset it came with for the hell of it.

on a question for the magikarp method. i have a HA fish (everstone) with a SPA ditto (d-knot). i got the shiny fish after 21 eggs in a particular batch and it had no HA. i SR the game and put a sandveil garchomp im place of the fish and still got a shiny Gible. will changing out the HA fish with the everstone keep the shiny number even if the replacement/target has a normal ability? so far i got the shiny gible in the order that i expected it to have.

now i just need a female shiny normal ability fish and 2 other HA fish.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
What are all the moves that are named similarly to like "after you", "me first", etc?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
What are all the moves that are named similarly to like "after you", "me first", etc?

After You is a move that's specifically for double battles. It basically forces the target to move immediately after the user, so if you use a very fast pokémon with After You, and target your slow teammate, you can basically make that teammate go much earlier in the turn than normally. Lilligant is a pretty popular user of After You in Sun teams as it's really fast with the Chlorophyll boost.

Me First is a move that only works if you move before the target, and only if the target uses a damaging move that isn't a Z-Move. It uses the move that the target intends to use and boosts the power by 50%. It's a situational move that can catch opponents off-guard, for instance by hitting an Alolan Marowak intending to go for Shadow Bone, or a Latios going for Draco Meteor, for super effective damage, but it requires a lot of good prediction to pull off, as you simply waste a turn if your opponent is faster, goes for setup, or uses a Z-Move. Some fast users of it are Mega Absol and Hawlucha.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
After You is a move that's specifically for double battles. It basically forces the target to move immediately after the user, so if you use a very fast pokémon with After You, and target your slow teammate, you can basically make that teammate go much earlier in the turn than normally. Lilligant is a pretty popular user of After You in Sun teams as it's really fast with the Chlorophyll boost.

Me First is a move that only works if you move before the target, and only if the target uses a damaging move that isn't a Z-Move. It uses the move that the target intends to use and boosts the power by 50%. It's a situational move that can catch opponents off-guard, for instance by hitting an Alolan Marowak intending to go for Shadow Bone, or a Latios going for Draco Meteor, for super effective damage, but it requires a lot of good prediction to pull off, as you simply waste a turn if your opponent is faster, goes for setup, or uses a Z-Move. Some fast users of it are Mega Absol and Hawlucha.
I think Frankie is looking for a list of moves with names similar to those, not an explanation of those moves.

If you're looking for a list of similarly named moves, there is also Follow Me, but I don't think any others are similar unless you think something like Hold Back works too.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I think Frankie is looking for a list of moves with names similar to those, not an explanation of those moves.

If you're looking for a list of similarly named moves, there is also Follow Me, but I don't think any others are similar unless you think something like Hold Back works too.
Thanks, yea I couldn't remember what moves all sounded similar. I knew there was a group but wasn't sure how many. So just the three then I guess. And yea, wasn;t considering hold back. Thanks you two

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Well so I've been living under a rock and apparently 6 gen RNG and also 7 gen RNG abuse is here and available.

I also heard from a post in a trade shop that RNG'ed pokemon are not legal at tournaments. Does anyone have any further info on this? like how would they be able to tell if a pokemon has been RNG if they are using the natural in game RNG system?

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Well so I've been living under a rock and apparently 6 gen RNG and also 7 gen RNG abuse is here and available.

I also heard from a post in a trade shop that RNG'ed pokemon are not legal at tournaments. Does anyone have any further info on this? like how would they be able to tell if a pokemon has been RNG if they are using the natural in game RNG system?

I may not be the authority on RNG manipulation but I have done it for Gen IV and there is not a way to tell if a Pokémon came from RNG or if it was hatched naturally. All I was doing was plugging some numbers into a spread sheet and getting the number of eggs produced that would lead me to whatever shiny, nature, etc. I was looking for. I never did RNG for IVs when I was doing it. I have traded for Pokémon that were produced through Gen VII RNG manipulation and although it is shiny and has the correct everything it needs it can still be used in the Battle Spot without issue. So the RNG’d Pokémon appear to be legitimate because the manipulation is basically just finding out where in the sequence the ideal Pokémon would be.

Also according to the Bulbapedia page on RNG abuse RNG’d Pokémon have been used in tournaments in the past. So it could be that it is allowed. I believe it is just frowned upon because the person doing the manipulation knows which egg is correct and only has to hassle with the one instead of spending hours trying to find the egg by hatching them all. I have never been to a tournament but I don’t know why, or even how, they could ban said Pokémon with no way to check for this.

Road

Shiny Master

3DS RNG does require Custom Firmware, however, and Nintendo went on a campaign to ban that. I know plenty of people who had it and couldn't do WiFi battles or trades for awhile. That might be where the warning against RNG comes from for this gen.

Otherwise, like Viper said, there's no real difference between an RNG Pokemon and a normal Pokemon, even if you looked at the files themselves.

masterbreeder42

Beast Ball-catching Legend Wiz
Does anyone have any idea why I can't use Synchronize to get a Marshadow with a Jolly Nature? It worked just fine on all other event Legendary/Mythical Pokémon.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Does anyone have any idea why I can't use Synchronize to get a Marshadow with a Jolly Nature? It worked just fine on all other event Legendary/Mythical Pokémon.

Hmm I'm new to gen 7 but I've never been able to synchronize mystery gift Pokémon it only works on encounter Pokémon not from the mystery gift. Please correct me if I'm wrong for sun and moon but in my opinion you must have done it previously on encounter Pokémon or gotten lucky with mystery gift

Houka

I don't think you can Synchronize mystery gift Pokemon, It only works for normal encounters. You might have been lucky with the others. I'm not sure but Marchadow might be nature lock if not then your just lucky here.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Synchronize also affects Zygarde assembly.

I find this very hard to believe unless they decided to add that just so that people don't have to sit there and assemble/disassemble over and over to get a specific nature. Can you provide a source saying Zygarde assembly is affected by Synchronize?

Edit: I found this on Bulbapedia:

"From Pokémon Emerald onward, if a Pokémon with Synchronize is in the first place in the party (even if fainted), any wild Pokémon encountered has a 50% chance of having the same Nature as the Pokémon with this Ability. Starting in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, if a Pokémon with Synchronize is leading the party, gift Pokémon (except Pokémon obtained via Mystery Gift) in the Undiscovered Egg Group will always have the same Nature."

I didn't know gift pokemon could be affected by Synchronize now! That's pretty cool! Still not confirmation that it works on Zygarde, but he might be considered a gift. It definitely doesn't work on Mystery Gift events, though.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Well, I haven't done an elaborate testing series on Zygarde, but when I got it it seemed to work, I think I got 3 Careful ones in like 5 tries. It may seem like a small sample size but mathematically it's very unlikely to be just luck.

masterbreeder42

Beast Ball-catching Legend Wiz
The thing is, Synchronize has worked for me on pokemon obtained via Mystery Gift before. With the Shiny Tapu Koko event, I put a Timid Synch pokemon first in my party, and kept grinding until I got one with HP Fire, and every one of them was Timid, with about a hundred soft resets. Why wouldn't it work on Marshadow?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The thing is, Synchronize has worked for me on pokemon obtained via Mystery Gift before. With the Shiny Tapu Koko event, I put a Timid Synch pokemon first in my party, and kept grinding until I got one with HP Fire, and every one of them was Timid, with about a hundred soft resets. Why wouldn't it work on Marshadow?

The Shiny Tapu Koko event is always Timid. It wasn't Synchronize, that one is just nature-locked to Timid.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Okay, so I leveled my Marshadow to Lv 100 and took it to the Effort girl in the Battle Royal Dome for the Effort ribbon and she says it still can put a bit more effort. But how am I supposed to do that since it hit Lv 100? Can someone explain this to me?