• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Sun & Moon Help Thread

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Is there someplace that describes the meaning behind the patterns of each vivillon? I mean some are obvious (pokéball, ocean, monsoon, etc), but wondering about the more obscure (modern, meadow, etc).

BCVM22

No. It's "what colors vaguely match this word/environment." Meadow is pink, red and blue, i.e. flowers.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Language question. If I get US version Sun & Moon game, but play it in Japanese, will I get US event Pokémon, e.g., from Gamestop, or Japanese event Pokémon? What happened in previous ORAS and XY?

Region and language is different. Your 3ds determines region your cartridge determines language so if you play on a US 3DS but choose Japanese language your events will be US events but with the Japanese language tag and the Pokémon name will be Japanese. I believe this is how it works but correct me if I'm wrong. For example when I started over my Y Cartridge over and over for the vivillon events I chose a different language every time and each vivillon had a different language tag but it was all the US wifi event

BCVM22

That question was asked eleven months and over 2,600 posts ago. One imagines (hopes?) they've found an answer in that time.

Last edited:

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Oops well blame the mobile skin it had me on the wrong page.

A couple questions: looks like cloning is still acceptable here for Pokémon on serebii. Is there anything against cloning items or is it just up to your trade partner?

Also: to nature breed alola forms you have to use an everstone which makes it breed into normal form. Say I breed two vulpix and I want the offspring to be a timid alola vulpix. Is there any way to use an everstone to do this? Like make the male hold the everstone or something?

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
to nature breed alola forms you have to use an everstone which makes it breed into normal form. Say I breed two vulpix and I want the offspring to be a timid alola vulpix. Is there any way to use an everstone to do this? Like make the male hold the everstone or something?

The everstone is used with Kanto forms to make the offspring a Kanto form. If it is not used than the Kanto form Pokémon will have an Alola form offspring. Giving a timid female Alolan Vulpix an everstone will yield a timid Alolan Vulpix. If I gave an everstone to a female Kanto Vulpix than the offspring would be an identical nature Kanto Vulpix. Make sense?

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Does Anyone Know what location the MATTLE ho oh registers as showing up from? I thought it would be from a distant land since it's from Colosseum but mine is showing up from the Hoenn region in gen 6 so I'm wondering what the story is. I know I got one myself but I think I got one in a trade too so just wanted to check and I can't seem to find both to compare.

also it would be nice if we could get the right info on serebii after several years. it does not get your ID it gets a preset one like an event

https://www.serebii.net/colosseum/ho-oh.shtml

Road

Shiny Master
Does Anyone Know what location the MATTLE ho oh registers as showing up from? I thought it would be from a distant land since it's from Colosseum but mine is showing up from the Hoenn region in gen 6 so I'm wondering what the story is. I know I got one myself but I think I got one in a trade too so just wanted to check and I can't seem to find both to compare.

also it would be nice if we could get the right info on serebii after several years. it does not get your ID it gets a preset one like an event

https://www.serebii.net/colosseum/ho-oh.shtml
Serebii's info is terrible and will probably never be updated. Bulbapedia is a better reference if only because they have more info and they keep it up-to-date.

Anyway, Ho-Oh, like all Event Pokemon, will have the origin location depending on which game it was received in. Yours has Hoenn because you received it on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. If it was sent to FRLG however, it would be coming from Kanto.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to breed a 5 IV Aerodactyl in everything but Sp. Attk, witout using hyper training and with its hidden ability Unnerve

In the daycare I have....

Female Aerodactyl
Adamant nature
Unnerve as its ability
Holding a Everstone
HP - Best
Attack - best
Defence - Pretty Good
Sp Attack - Decent
Sp. Defence - Best
Speed - Best
Outstanding potential

and a

Male Aerodactyl
Adamant nature
Unnerve as its ability
Holding a Destiny Knot
HP - Best
Attack - Best
Defence - Best
Sp Attack - Decent
Sp. Defence - Best
Speed - Fantastic
Outstanding potential

I must be on 100 plus eggs and still no 5 IV baby with its hidden ability.
I'm getting 4 Ivs and its hidden ability and 5 Ivs with its normal abilities, but never together.
Am I getting super bad luck or is there some math/coding thing going on where passing down the Hidden ability is stopping the passing down of 5 Ivs?
This is getting both boring and frustrating now.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to breed a 5 IV Aerodactyl in everything but Sp. Attk, witout using hyper training and with its hidden ability Unnerve

In the daycare I have....

Female Aerodactyl
Adamant nature
Unnerve as its ability
Holding a Everstone
HP - Best
Attack - best
Defence - Pretty Good
Sp Attack - Decent
Sp. Defence - Best
Speed - Best
Outstanding potential

and a

Male Aerodactyl
Adamant nature
Unnerve as its ability
Holding a Destiny Knot
HP - Best
Attack - Best
Defence - Best
Sp Attack - Decent
Sp. Defence - Best
Speed - Fantastic
Outstanding potential

I must be on 100 plus eggs and still no 5 IV baby with its hidden ability.
I'm getting 4 Ivs and its hidden ability and 5 Ivs with its normal abilities, but never together.
Am I getting super bad luck or is there some math/coding thing going on where passing down the Hidden ability is stopping the passing down of 5 Ivs?
This is getting both boring and frustrating now.

Is bad luck. With that combination you should approximately have a 1 in 30 chance to get what you want. One thing you can do to improve your chances is take one of the 5IV male offsprings without the hidden ability (assuming the imperfect IV is in Sp.Atk) and replace your current father with it. The father's ability is irrelevant when it comes to breeding unless you're breeding with Ditto. If you do that the odds should increase to 1 in 15.

Last edited:

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Is bad luck. With that combination you should approximately have a 1 in 30 chance to get what you want. One thing you can do to improve your chances is take one of the 5IV male offsprings without the hidden ability (assuming the imperfect IV is in Sp.Atk) and replace your current father with it. The father's ability is irrelevant when it comes to breeding unless you're breeding with Ditto. If you do that the odds should increase to 1 in 15.

Yep just bad luck. Switched the male to one of the 5 IV ones with Pressure and after another 50+ eggs finally got it. Thanks

That's my longest breeding run yet.

pokeplayer9994

My Neighborhood Gamestop ran out of codes for the Shiny Silvally before I could get one. Getting to a different Gamestop would be a pain for me. Does anyone have a spare code to give me? Please PM if you do. Thanks in advance.

Road

Shiny Master
My Neighborhood Gamestop ran out of codes for the Shiny Silvally before I could get one. Getting to a different Gamestop would be a pain for me. Does anyone have a spare code to give me? Please PM if you do. Thanks in advance.
See the Event Trading Thread, you can check it out and see if anyone else is offering one, and if not, post there with better luck.

JohnLynch

Will event Pokemon for Sun/Moon end once Ultra Sun comes out? Or because they're both gen 6 will both games get them?

BCVM22

Once OR/AS were released and became the then-current standard, events for X/Y didn't cease but they did slow considerably. In 2015, with OR/AS being the game of choice, the North American event count was 0 exclusively for X/Y, 10ish exclusively for OR/AS, and 4 for both sets of games.

That's probably your best indicator for now. You can see for yourself what that ratio was like in other regions in the event database - just sort by year for 2014 and 2015.

https://www.serebii.net/events/

Last edited:

Road

Shiny Master
Will event Pokemon for Sun/Moon end once Ultra Sun comes out? Or because they're both gen 6 will both games get them?
No and yes. In 6th Gen (last gen, we are in 7th now haha), most events were able to be received by XYORAS (all the games), but there were some events that were ORAS only. So, events will generally be for SM and USUM, while some will be USUM exclusive (or some other division of exclusive, like S/US or M/UM).

(Also what BCVM said, we posted at the same time it seems haha.)

BCVM22

I should clarify my response to the original question, based on further review. In 2015, the year immediately following the release of OR/AS, the considerable majority of North American events were exclusive to those games. And of the few events that were generation-wide - for all four Generation VI games - Hoopa was one of them. There remain no event Legendary Pokémon unreleased for Sun/Moon. Japan got more events that were generation-wide, but they also had a larger sample size, as they do.

However, in 2016 - for over ten months of which Generation VI was still the standard - the majority of the events were generation-wide.

Collectively, that all makes for the best indicator at this stage. Next year's slate of events will likely be skewed towards Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, understandably, and then potentially 2019's events (assuming we're still waiting on Pokémon for the Switch until the end of that year) will be across all four Generation VII titles.

Last edited:

JohnLynch

Thanks everyone.

Navarch

I'm breeding a Male, HA Gible with a Female Non HA Gible, but none of my eggs have the HA. Am I doing something wrong?