• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Tier Thread for Ash's Pokemon

Genaller

Silver Soul
Well you can't definitively say that it wouldn't have been able to. Confuse Ray just lets out a sinister light coming out of Dusclops's eye, and Brandon earlier used it when Charizard was in physical contact with Dusclops.

Well I'm pretty sure that Ash's "blunder" was done to take Charizard out of the battle early so that Ash's other Pokémon could shine while still protecting Charizard's image so I don't think Dusclops would outright win despite having the definitive upper hand at that point (just like how Articuno had the upper hand for most of the match) though maybe it would have been a down to the wire type of battle either way.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well I'm pretty sure that Ash's "blunder" was done to take Charizard out of the battle early so that Ash's other Pokémon could shine while still protecting Charizard's image so I don't think Dusclops would outright win despite having the definitive upper hand at that point (just like how Articuno had the upper hand for most of the match) though maybe it would have been a down to the wire type of battle either way.

That's true. Charizard wouldn't have surely lost mid-difficulty if not for the blunder. But that tells that Charizard is hardly superior to Dusclops, about on the same level.

Navin

MALDREAD
Yeah, my point is how can struggling to Primals be comparable to Ash's Charizard going toe - to - toe with minor legendaries (still impressive) as a means to to discredit AG and MCX. Anyone would struggle against freaks like the Primals. MCX beat an E4 Mega, and that to me is a bigger feat than Charizard beating a wild Articuno, since Frontier Brains and their Pokémon aren't on the level of E4.

Lol, "minor legendaries." Considering what the birds are capable of (M2), beating an Articuno under the command of a FB (who are on par with some E4s anyway) is impressive. Anyway, the poster was comparing A-G to Charizard, not MCX to Charizard. A win is always a win.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Lol, "minor legendaries." Considering what the birds are capable of (M2), beating an Articuno under the command of a FB (who are on par with some E4s anyway) is impressive. Anyway, the poster was comparing A-G to Charizard, not MCX to Charizard. A win is always a win.

I know he was comparing AG to Charizard, but he tried to do so by downplaying MCX as a means to justify why AG losing to it makes it weaker than Ash's Charizard which I was disagreeing with.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Considering how Zapdos got its *** kicked by Noivern, we all know what Legendary birds are capable of. A-G putting up a great fight against MCX and going toe to toe with Mega Gardevoir are anyday better feats than beating an Articuno who is =< Brandon's Dusclops.

And lol, if Frontier Brains are on par with E4, then Tauros, Donphan and Corphish are all E4 level Pokemon. A Frontier Brain commanded Pokemon can never go toe to toe with a Champion's Pokemon. It is impressive but comparing Articuno to Primals deserve a Jordanlaugh. gif.

And the poster was also comparing Charizard to MCX claiming that Charizard is also superior to MCX to whom A-G lost, because it beat a Legendary.

Last edited:

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Hey guys calm down I said you are free to disagree or agree.

But it boils down to this the Pokémon anime has more inconsistent powerlevels than Dragonball

Like the previously mentioned Charizard winning against Articuno and loosing to Dusclops
Ash's low tiers beating BF Brains.
Pikachu KOing Latios to immediately loose to a Snivy the next battle
AG almost beating the Champion with type disadvantage and winning against Mega Sceptile despite the type disadvantage and Sceptile's 4x resistance to immediately loose to a MCX.
And like the previous comment said Noivern in his first battle "kicked Zapdo's *ss" only to loose to a Salamence and Weavile.

Strength levels in the anime could never be full gauged because of the the writers make Pokémon strong or weak depending on where the story is headed.

This also the reason we "might" never see AG again. They wrote themselves into a corner by giving Ash this OP Pokémon which if he brought to other regions he would have no challenge. And if they do bring it they can't make AG loose to regular Pokémon or there would be more fan outrage than when Pikachu lost to Snivy.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

But it boils down to this the Pokémon anime has more inconsistent powerlevels than Dragonball

Like the previously mentioned Charizard winning against Articuno and loosing to Dusclops
AG almost beating the Champion with type disadvantage and winning against Mega Sceptile despite the type disadvantage and Sceptile's 4x resistance to immediately loose to a MCX.
And like the previous comment said Noivern in his first battle "kicked Zapdo's *ss" only to loose to a Salamence and Weavile.

Strength levels in the anime could never be full gauged because of the the writers make Pokémon strong or weak depending on where the story is headed.

This also the reason we "might" never see AG again. They wrote themselves into a corner by giving Ash this OP Pokémon which if he brought to other regions he would have no challenge. And if they do bring it they can't make AG loose to regular Pokémon or there would be more fan outrage than when Pikachu lost to Snivy.

We still have to make an overall estimation of everyone's strength, dude. The anime is inconsistent, but you have eliminate this notion that all Legendaries are equal. There are huge disparities between lower level legendaries and God-tier legendaries.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul

Well I wouldn't even say you're wrong but there's surprisingly more consistency in this anime than it seems to let on.

- It could just be that Brandon's Dusclops really was a tough Pokémon which if anything just elevates Bulbasaur for being able to defeat it.
- Pikachu to a certain extent has always been "reset" in every region with BW being the most extreme case and yes the 1 consistent thing about Pikachu is that it's inconsistent though there is a way to work around this which is the "Peak" model where Pikachu's strength is defined by a progression of successive "best" feats. One nice interpretation of Pikachu's battles where it goes "Peak" mode is that for those battles Pikachu's limiter is removed and he is allowed to battle with full cumulative experience. In the end I'll admit this is just fan conjecture to cover up bad writing but it is still a pretty good explanation.
- Well it's not like all FBs were equal. We have no clue how strong Noland actually was since Articuno was wild and hence not a good representation of his strength. Brandon was the leader of the FB and definitely the strongest overall while both Spencer and Greta were higher end FBs that required high caliber Pokémon to deal with. With Anabel it wasn't that her Pokémon were exceptionally strong but rather her telepathic battle style that messed with other trainers' reaction time/battle rhythm which made her such a difficult opponent to beat. That just leaves Tucker and Lucy who were likely just lower end FBs (comparatively speaking).
- Eh tell me if there's anything inconsistent about this scaling:

- High God Tier
Alain's MC-X

- Mid God Tier
Upper Champion Aces, Upper E4 Mega Aces

- Low God Tier
Ash-Greninja, Lower Champion Aces, Lower E4 Mega Aces

- High Tier-0
Alain's Base Charizard

- Mid Tier-0
Sawyer's Mega Sceptile

where "God" = (-1). This scaling satisfies A-G being in the Champion Ace/E4 Mega Ace spectrum, being decisively above Mega Sceptile and being decisively below Mega Charizard X. While type matchup can certainly influence the course of a battle, it's usually to a far lesser extent in the anime than in the games.
- If we accept that the "floor" of a legendary Pokémon would still be in the t-1 spectrum (making that Zapdos low t-1 at a low ball) then Noivern at a low ball needs to be within 2 full tiers of it (low t-3) to be capable of damaging it. Also consider Ash's strategic use of the battle environment and it's not unbelievable that Noivenr could get 1 good hit in. The low t-3 estimate is definitely compatible with the rest of his performances henceforth. Noivern tied with Salamence
- Well you may be partially right but at the same time it wasn't coincidence that Pikachu and Sceptile were the only ones to get KOs vs Tobias or that Snorlax has had phenomenal consistency in all of its battles or that Charizard and Infernape were given the honur of being able to sweep half a major rival's team or that A-G was the one who broke new ground by being able to battle at lvls that were previously deemed unrealistic for Ash Pokémon to attain.

If A-G ever comes back it should only be for League Arc(s) or a special arc like say an arc about Ultra Beasts.

EDIT: So this is a points system for my tiering that I've been working on with the intent that 2 sets of Pokémon with an equal number of overall points would trade even in a neutral case.

- Upper Transcendant Tier: 11,520
- Mid Transcendant Tier: 9,600
- Low Transcendant Tier: 7,680
- High God Tier: 5760
- Mid God Tier: 4800
- Low God Tier: 3,840
- High Tier-0: 2,880
- Mid Tier-0: 2400
- Low Tier-0: 1,920
- High Tier-1: 1,440
- Mid Tier-1: 1,200
- Low Tier-1: 960
- High Tier-2: 720
- Mid Tier-2: 600
- Low Tier-2: 480
- High Tier-3: 360
- Mid Tier-3: 300
- Low Tier-3: 240
- High Tier-4: 180
- Mid Tier-4: 150
- Low Tier-4: 120
- High Tier-5: 90
- Mid Tier-5: 75
- Low Tier-5: 60

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Just having some fun here:

- King
(Ash-)Greninja

- General
Peakachu, Charizard

- Lieutenant General
Sceptile, (Blaze) Infernape

- Major General
Snorlax

- Brigadier General
Bulbasaur, Heracross, Krookodile

- Colonel
Swellow, Gliscor

- Lieutenant Colonel
Kingler, Glalie, Hawlucha

- Major
Squirtle, Gible

- Captain
Torkoal, Torterra, Pignite, Talonflame, Goodra

- First Lieutenant
Bayleef, Quilava, Corphish, Staraptor, Buizel, Leavanny

- Second Lieutenant
Tauros, Noctowl, Noivern

- Warrant Officer
Donphan, Palpitoad

- Sergeant Major
Snivy

- Sergeant
Muk

- Corporal
Boldore

- Lance Corporal
Unfezzant

- Private
Totodile, Oshawatt, Scraggy

EDIT: Here are the “aggregate win rates of Pokémon by region”:

Kanto: 64%
Johto: 49%
Hoenn: 50%
Sinnoh: 45%
Unova: 52%
Kalos: 56%

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul

Genaller

Silver Soul

Navin

MALDREAD
I was bored so I made a tier list with graphics. Note that it is NOT ordered within each tier.

View attachment 16917

This is sweet.

I would have done the perfect curve of:

6: Pikachu/Charizard/Ash-Greninja/Infernape/Sceptile/Snorlax
8: Krookodile/Swellow/Bulbasaur/Heracross/Gliscor/Glalie/Kinger/Hawlucha
11: Squirtle/Gible/Torterra/Talonflame/Pignite/Goodra/Corphish/Buizel/Staraptor/Torkoal/Quilava
8: Noctowl/Tauros/Leavanny/Bayleef/Donphan/Noivern/Palpitoad/Muk
6: Snivy/Boldore/Unfezant/Oshawott/Scraggy/Totodile

Genaller

Silver Soul
This is sweet.

11: Squirtle/Gible/Torterra/Talonflame/Pignite/Goodra/Corphish/Buizel/Staraptor/Torkoal/Quilava

Remind me but what’s your argument for Staraptor over Bayleef? Also I’d swap Snivy and Muk since Snivy > Unfezzant by a significant amount and Muk for all intents and purposes isn’t even accurately tierable because of lack of showings with it’s only win being due to a gag. Apart from that though if this system is based on the rules A) Pokémon of a higher tier is better than a Pokémon of a relatively lower tier and B) the ordering within a tier is ambiguous and subject to indivdual interpretation then barring the above 2 swaps I would completely agree with your list (I guess a 90% agreement rate is god enough). While I previously did praise you for making a perfect bell curve I’d be cautious of preserving that in the long run since then for every new tier-1 either another new Pokémon goes in tier-5 or an older Pokémon retroactively gets moved down.

Navin

MALDREAD
Remind me but what’s your argument for Staraptor over Bayleef? Also I’d swap Snivy and Muk since Snivy > Unfezzant by a significant amount and Muk for all intents and purposes isn’t even accurately tierable because of lack of showings with it’s only win being due to a gag. Apart from that though if this system is based on the rules A) Pokémon of a higher tier is better than a Pokémon of a relatively lower tier and B) the ordering within a tier is ambiguous and subject to indivdual interpretation then barring the above 2 swaps I would completely agree with your list (I guess a 90% agreement rate is god enough). While I previously did praise you for making a perfect bell curve I’d be cautious of preserving that in the long run since then for every new tier-1 either another new Pokémon goes in tier-5 or an older Pokémon retroactively gets moved down.

That gimmicky style prevents Muk from being in the worst 'tier' because it can pull out those wins. Staraptor had better feats; only thing I remember about Bayleef is Vs. Chuck. Nah, bell curve is where I'm at right now.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
This is sweet.

poketierlistv2.jpg

I really have nothing to do right now lol