• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Unova Battles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderblade12

Something we don't really have a specific thread to discuss is the battles of the show. Criteria like whether or not you think a certain battle made one of Ash or someone else's pokemon look strong/weak. Who do you think needs more battles or needs to take a backseat to the others for a while? Anything retaining to battles. What ones do you think had the best animation? Try to limit it to Unova pokemon and battles.

I'll start:

Sewaddle hasn't had many battles, but the battle against Burgh makes me think he's one of Ash's strongest at the moment. He had a disadvantage against both of the pokemon he beat (Rock/Bug>Bug/Grass, Bug>Grass) and he took so many hits before finally going down. Solarbeam from Whirlipede, Steam Roller, Leaf Storm, and finally Hyper Beam.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
Tranquill really needs to be used for battles. If you ask me, BW25 was a great opportunity, they could've put in there both Swadloon AND Tranquill.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
You know, Snivy I feel is Ash's most neglected starter, but thankfully it's being used in the Don Battle Tournament. Also Scraggy's getting the Meowth episode, so that's cool. Now all we need is for Tranquil to have a episode to itself instead of pulling a bad interpretation of Pidgeotto and Noctowl, meaning only fighting Team Rocket and rarely appearing

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
You know, Snivy I feel is Ash's most neglected starter, but thankfully it's being used in the Don Battle Tournament. Also Scraggy's getting the Meowth episode, so that's cool. Now all we need is for Tranquil to have a episode to itself instead of pulling a bad interpretation of Pidgeotto and Noctowl, meaning only fighting Team Rocket and rarely appearing

It did help Archen to fly.... but that was filler, so hopefully it gets a gym battle win against Clay and Skyla.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
It did help Archen to fly.... but that was filler, so hopefully it gets a gym battle win against Clay and Skyla.

Why Clay? Wouldn't Brycen or Dryden/Iris be better?

thunderblade12

It wouldn't be hurt by Ground type moves. Oshawott should be ready to evolve by now with all of its wins. Pansage, Watchog, Blitzle, Timburr. That's four major wins already.

Edit: Oh, and Palpitoad. That makes five.

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

I'm hopping after the tournament it get's an episode or two to train and maybe get's used in the next gym to show off what it's learned and win ^
Scaggy should have it's turn soon, yah.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
There should be a Ash vs Cilan battle where the battle should be:

Palpitoad vs Dwebble (Dwebble recalled)
Palpitoad vs Stunfisk (Stunfisk recalled because Stunfisk refuses to battle its freind)
Palpitoad vs Pansage (Palpitoad learns Echoed Voice)
Palpitoad vs Pansage (Pansage)
Tranquill vs Pansage (Tranquill)
Tranquill vs Dwebble (Tranquill)
Tranquill vs Stunfisk (Stunfisk)
Roggenrola/Snivy vs Stunfisk (Roggenrola/Snivy)

And, Tranquill gets to battle.

RandomOne

Randomization
Swadloon, Tranquil, Scraggy and Roggenrola needs a screentime and some battles right now. I don't get it how come the writers couldn't make some episodes for them instead of damn fillers.
--
battle made one of Ash or someone else's pokemon look strong/weak
I think the first battle against Trip made Ash's pokemons (except Snivy and maybe Pikachu) look like a freakin' noobs. OHKO for Tepig and Oshawott, and Pidove after like 2 hits. I know Tranquil used Work Up and has the ability Super Luck, but still - it shouldn't OHKO.
Also, I was a bit dissapointed that after Pikachu easily beat Tranquil, he lost quickly to Servine (which his attacks aren't effective over Pikachu).

Maxulus

Also, I was a bit dissapointed that after Pikachu easily beat Tranquil, he lost quickly to Servine (which his attacks aren't effective over Pikachu).

Servine's grass attacks are normal affective to Pikachu. Pikachu's electric moves aren't very effective on Servine.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
I had a thread like this where we could discuss rival battles, gym battles and league battles (I think, all of them). Anywho, I think Scraggy, tranquil, roggenrola, swadloon and oshawott should be having a battle each soon. In order of who needs development through battles:
Scraggy>Tranquil>Roggenrola>Swadloon>Oshawott>Tepig>Palpitoad>Snivy>Pikachu

KibaLG8

I had a thread like this where we could discuss rival battles, gym battles and league battles (I think, all of them). Anywho, I think Scraggy, tranquil, roggenrola, swadloon and oshawott should be having a battle each soon. In order of who needs development through battles:
Scraggy>Tranquil>Roggenrola>Swadloon>Oshawott>Tepig>Palpitoad>Snivy>Pikachu

I think this thread is more about who deserves to battle, not like how in the other thread, it gets into detail, like how pokemonbw01 did get into detail with his post. ^ Not saying he did anything wrong but this thread isn't a Who Battles Who Thread, its more along of the lines of Who Needs Battling Screentime.

Lunanight

I do not think Tranquill will get development, I KNOW it will get it's development.
Besides, ALL the regional birds get a lot of development (Noctowl, Swellow and Staraptor are the ones I mean. Not Pidgeot, obviously)

For all we know, it may learn a new move down the road like Sky Attack, Brave Bird or another powerful move and evolve.

But considering that when it finally evolves again, it will be compared to Noctowl, Staraptor and Swellow.
So if anything, I suspect that it will not be a strong as those three but still a big powerhouse on Ash's Unova team overall.

I say it will not be as strong since Swellow can take electric attacks like a beast, Staraptor is just a powerhouse and Noctowl is a special attacker.
I wonder how Tranquill will compare. (Tranquill? More like Unfezant in about 20-30 episodes from now, it will happen sooner or later)

I really think that the fact that Ash's Oshawott beat Trip's Timburr in one hit and then Cilan will beat it when it evolved into Gurdurr ain't exactly making Gurdurr look strong at the moment.
I was hoping that it would be like Paul's Ursaring or Drapion was but I guess I was wrong. Besides, that is what I think Frillish/Lampent will be for.

Maybe around episode 50 to 60, the less used or weaker pokemon will get some development and evolve or learn a new move (Like Tepig or Scraggy).

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

It wasn't a filler, we got development on TR story and the professors(important characters) appeared again.

Anyway I have been fine with the battles till now, I liked all of them, I liked Arty Gym unlike others who didn't like the Gym just because Tranquill wasn't used.

The other two gyms were pretty nice also, the battle club and rival battles have been good to establish what needed to be established between the rivals.

I feel Tranquill, Scraggy and Roggenrola need an oficial battle win at this point, screentime Tranquill and Roggenrola have been appearing in the episodes, I think Tranquill besides Pikachu is probably the pokemon that battled Team Rocket most this region and no she didn't lost to Yamask Shadow Ball, we didn't see anything else of it after that.

I would love the writers to throw a curve ball and make Tranquill beat an Emolga in the next gym if not I am assuming Roggenrola might get its first battle there.

If Tranquill isn't used(which I'm not expecting) in the gym battle, I hope Satoshi has some kind of battle with Kenyan or Belle after the gym and uses Tranquill there, like I said screentime wise it isn't bad, that just people complaining, battle wise it needs one, it was the first capture we are on the 40+ and it hasn't battled yet, just because the writers decided that Oshawott, Tepig need to battle in every important battle or atleast until the tournament.

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
The thing is. In D/P episodes. Ash's starters do evolve later (Turtwig, Chimchar) even though they get loads of battles and Starly evolved pretty quick.

So I think his starters will evolve later on and his Tranquill with probably evolve soon. However, I think it will be a turn around and even though Oshawott battles alot I think it'll be the last of the starters on evolve. Just my opinion.

Bell56

The One and Only
There definitly have not been enough true battles so far, especially for the amount of captures Ash has. And every time he has had a battle against another trainer he has used at least one of Tepig/Oshawott. This is why I am glad they had the Don Battle it gave a few other team members a chance to get some use. I just hope we get some more battles, maybe a 6-6 or two so even more of his Pokes get used.

RandomOne

Randomization
techniquely, Oshawott should have evolved already by this point with all his battle experince, but the writers, ofc, make them evolve last. Idk why.

KibaLG8

techniquely, Oshawott should have evolved already by this point with all his battle experince, but the writers, ofc, make them evolve last. Idk why.

Well........

Kanto-

• Charmander: Evolved between Gym 6 & Gym 7.

Johto-

• Chikorita: Evolved between Gym 4 & Gym 5.

Hoenn-

• Treecko: Evolved between Gym 4 & Gym 5.

Sinnoh-

• Turtwig: Evolved between Gym 4 & Gym 5.

• Chimchar: Evolved between Gym 7 & Gym 8.

I'm expecting any starter to not evolve at least not until Ash gets past the 4th Unova Gym, and I am expecting a starter evolution before getting to the 5th Gym.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
Well........

Kanto-

• Charmander: Evolved between Gym 6 & Gym 7.

Johto-

• Chikorita: Evolved between Gym 4 & Gym 5.

Hoenn-

• Treecko: Evolved between Gym 4 & Gym 5.

Sinnoh-

• Turtwig: Evolved between Gym 4 & Gym 5.

• Chimchar: Evolved between Gym 7 & Gym 8.

I'm expecting any starter to not evolve at least not until Ash gets past the 4th Unova Gym, and I am expecting a starter evolution before getting to the 5th Gym.

That's what I wish too. Most likely, Snivy could evolve in the tournament. If not her, maybe Oshawott.

Status
Not open for further replies.