• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official "What Game(s) Should I Get?" Topic

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
But... What is it? Like... I've never played an Animal Crossing game before.

It's exactly what you see if you watch any videos, you walk around a town and talk to animals and decorate a house.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
So, I'm trying to branch out from just Pokémon games on the 3DS I got late last year. Aside from Inazuma Eleven and Super Mario Bros. The other four games I have both virtual console and physical are PokéGames.

So, I was wondering.... Should I try Youkai Watch and the sequels? Maybe see about ordering Animal Crossing: New Leaf? Is Hatsune Miku Mirai games fun?

yokai watch isn't as much fun as pokemon imo, I couldn't get into it. The monsters lvl up weird, the battles are based on chance it seems, and they aren't as unique as pokemon. I went into it also wanting to branch off from pokemon and it didn't do it for me. I suggest playing it a bit before buying it or buying it used for cheap.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I liked Yokai Watch personally (though haven't have much interest in premise of Animal Crossing, so I can't speak to that one). It's similar to pokemon, but there's a lot of differences. The battle style is probably a big piece, it's more like Spectrobes, except instead of fighting alongside the yokai, you use a mini game component to make them use their soultimate move and use items/targets. If you get one, you should probably get one of the new ones, the world's bigger, and there's more Yokai to find. You'll miss some story from the first game though.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
So, I'm trying to branch out from just Pokémon games on the 3DS I got late last year. Aside from Inazuma Eleven and Super Mario Bros. The other four games I have both virtual console and physical are PokéGames.

So, I was wondering.... Should I try Youkai Watch and the sequels? Maybe see about ordering Animal Crossing: New Leaf? Is Hatsune Miku Mirai games fun?

I love animal crossing new leaf. It is my favorite game of all time but it isn't for everyone. I would suggest looking at a let's play of it on youtube. Chuggaaconnroy did one a couple of years ago and Marriland has a stream archive of it.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
I personally don't have it yet, but from reviews and general consensus, yes RE7 is an absolutely return to form to a more scary atmosphere and gameplay than RE4-6. If you have a PSVR, it's even better as people have said it greatly enhances the scare factor. If you only have a PC however, you'll have to wait until 2018 as the VR feature is exclusive to PSVR until then.

Right, that's good - I like the older gameplay so I'll definitely consider picking RE7 up now. Thanks for the response!

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
I have a question about the Yo Kai Watch Series.

I really want to play Yo Kai Watch 2 Fleshy Souls, but I haven't played the 1st Yo Kai Watch yet. Do I need to play the 1st one first, or can I just jump in with the 2nd one?

Thanks for answering.

You don't have to, but it would make the second game 'better' in terms of the very beginning.

Guys need inputs...
I have some games in my eshop watch-list that I'm going to buy when it gets on sale. Atm, I have 20$ & it will be for another month or 2 when I get more.
Currently Story of Seasons (in my watch-list) is in sale for 18.90$. I was going to buy it, but then I got the news that Shovel Knight (in my watch-list) will be up priced on spring. I have been waiting for Shovel Knight to get on sale but I guess that won't happen anytime soon & instead gets up priced.
So which should I buy now? Story of Seasons or Shovel Knight? Thanks!

Sory of Seasons: Trio of Towns just came out.

I got $71 for selling a buttload of old games, and I was wondering if I should get Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity and Kirby Triple Deluxe or buy Wii U games/Virtual Console games. I can't decide. All will be digital downloads.

Last edited:

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I'm gonna suggest you get a kirby game :p Just cuz i am a sucker for cute games as a whole and would enjoy seeing others enjoy them too :)

Does anyone have any good otomes they'd recommend? Not any sexual scenes in them, but ones with good plots, characters and cutesy romance with kisses and hugs. One like Amnesia: Memories.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Does anyone have any good otomes they'd recommend? Not any sexual scenes in them, but ones with good plots, characters and cutesy romance with kisses and hugs. One like Amnesia: Memories.
I'm not even sure what an otome is XD I may look it up sometime :p

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
((Sorry for bumping up such an old thread.))

Should I get Stardew Valley on PC or the Nintendo Switch version? I have mild cerebral palsy on my right side, affecting my right hand, and I would like to make sure I can play either version of this game before buying one. What are the general controls for the PC and Switch versions? Do you need both hands? I love the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games and would love to play this game too.

Edit 12/26/2017: I decided to get Stardew Valley for the Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
So I bought a Switch near the end of February and I want to get a new game as a birthday gift to myself this month but I can’t afford the top six games on my list. Well GameStop is having a $10 off sale for select Lego games and I’m leaning towards either Lego Worlds or City Undercover. Has anyone played both of them? Which one do you recommend? The sale is only until next Tuesday.

*edit* I’ve decided to get Worlds for its creativity construction in free mode and online play. I can get it New for about $30 or $20 preowned which is better than the usual $40 it runs for plus I can get an additional 20% off if I buy preowned since it’s my birthday month. I’m going to try and get something preowned though.

Last edited:

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
So I've been looking at these two games Shining Resonance Refrain and Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana, I looked up both gameplay footage on them even the trailers but I am still not sure whether or not to get them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Resonance_Refrain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_VIII:_Lacrimosa_of_Dana

So for those of you who have played either of them, are they worth getting? They look good but I am just not sure on them

If I do decide to get them I intend to get them for the Switch since that's the only system I own that I can play them on.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So I've been looking at these two games Shining Resonance Refrain and Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana, I looked up both gameplay footage on them even the trailers but I am still not sure whether or not to get them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Resonance_Refrain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_VIII:_Lacrimosa_of_Dana

So for those of you who have played either of them, are they worth getting? They look good but I am just not sure on them

If I do decide to get them I intend to get them for the Switch since that's the only system I own that I can play them on.

Shining Resonance Refrain has a demo on the eShop.

I can't say much for Ys, but the game still needs patches that will release on a schedule.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Shining Resonance Refrain has a demo on the eShop.

I can't say much for Ys, but the game still needs patches that will release on a schedule.

Ah ok thanks :)

I downloaded the demo, and while it was good it didn't help my decision, oh well I guess I'll have to wait for the reviews and let's plays to come out for it and Ys before I can hopefully come up with a final decision

Ah ok thanks :)

I downloaded the demo, and while it was good it didn't help my decision, oh well I guess I'll have to wait for the reviews and let's plays to come out for it and Ys before I can hopefully come up with a final decision

I haven’t played Ys myself but I have heard good things about the game itself... not so many good things about the dub, at least pre-patch alone. Apparently the patches are fixing a lot of the issues. Either way you’re gonna stay for Mishy.

*totally tries their hardest to hold back on aggressively recommending Trails of Cold Steel for in the meantime as it’s by the same Japanese developer and has one of my all-time favourite localisations*

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Hello all!

Im coming here at a total loss of gaming guidance to hopefully receive some from fellow internet nerds. Turn based JRPGs, more or less, are what I'm after. In the past year I've played:

I Am Setsuna (completed, loved it)
Lost Sphear (barely started but finished the demo and really liked it)
Octopath Traveler Demo (brilliant)
Trails in the Sky FC (absolutely amazing)
Trails of Cold Steel (also amazing)
Final Fantasy I (completed, loved it)
Final Fantasy II (started, decent progress)
Final Fantasy III (DS) (started)
Fire Emblem Fates (finished Brithright and Conquest, loved both)
Fire Emblem Echoes (nearly finished, hated Alm's party but adored Celica's and liked the game)
Final Fantasy X HD (quite good, just haven't found the time to finish)
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (kinda detested the gameplay)
Xenoblade Chronicles (really good, but super long and didn't finish)
Xenoblade 2 (really not loving the gameplay yet and feels like I barely started after 15+ hours of gameplay - an exceptionally long game with a loooong tutorial phase)

Issue is, currently, I have no systems to play these on - so part of the advice I need is whether to pick up a Switch again, a 3DS again, or a Vita again. I can afford any one system, but only one. I know the latter two have outstanding JRPG catalogues; the former one, however, enables me to play Octopath finally, after nearly 100%-ing the demo (and it gets me I Am Setsuna again!). The 3DS has the most I already know I'd like to try, but at the unfortunate expense of having no previously purchased digital games waiting for me as I didn't transfer or unlink my old NNID. The Vita comes with some downloads of the PSP and digital games I tried (mostly some FF and Trails in the Sky games).

On a list of games I really want to play, but haven't started and thus don't know tons about:

Bravely Default
Bravely Second
Alliance Alive
Legend of Legacy
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Trails in the Sky SC
Trails of Cold Steel II
Final Fantasy 6

Are there other games I should consider getting? Anything on this list that's totally essential and I have to play it? A different system entirely? (I highly prefer handheld gaming, keep that in mind).

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and offer some advice.

Hello all!

Im coming here at a total loss of gaming guidance to hopefully receive some from fellow internet nerds. Turn based JRPGs, more or less, are what I'm after. In the past year I've played:

I Am Setsuna (completed, loved it)
Lost Sphear (barely started but finished the demo and really liked it)
Octopath Traveler Demo (brilliant)
Trails in the Sky FC (absolutely amazing)
Trails of Cold Steel (also amazing)
Final Fantasy I (completed, loved it)
Final Fantasy II (started, decent progress)
Final Fantasy III (DS) (started)
Fire Emblem Fates (finished Brithright and Conquest, loved both)
Fire Emblem Echoes (nearly finished, hated Alm's party but adored Celica's and liked the game)
Final Fantasy X HD (quite good, just haven't found the time to finish)
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (kinda detested the gameplay)
Xenoblade Chronicles (really good, but super long and didn't finish)
Xenoblade 2 (really not loving the gameplay yet and feels like I barely started after 15+ hours of gameplay - an exceptionally long game with a loooong tutorial phase)

Issue is, currently, I have no systems to play these on - so part of the advice I need is whether to pick up a Switch again, a 3DS again, or a Vita again. I can afford any one system, but only one. I know the latter two have outstanding JRPG catalogues; the former one, however, enables me to play Octopath finally, after nearly 100%-ing the demo (and it gets me I Am Setsuna again!). The 3DS has the most I already know I'd like to try, but at the unfortunate expense of having no previously purchased digital games waiting for me as I didn't transfer or unlink my old NNID. The Vita comes with some downloads of the PSP and digital games I tried (mostly some FF and Trails in the Sky games).

On a list of games I really want to play, but haven't started and thus don't know tons about:

Bravely Default
Bravely Second
Alliance Alive
Legend of Legacy
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Trails in the Sky SC
Trails of Cold Steel II
Final Fantasy 6

Are there other games I should consider getting? Anything on this list that's totally essential and I have to play it? A different system entirely? (I highly prefer handheld gaming, keep that in mind).

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and offer some advice.

Firstly, makes me very happy to see another Trails fan around! It’s always good to have a bigger fandom.

Now, here’s a dilemma - I haven’t played on the Switch so I wouldn’t know about that side of things, but both the 3DS and Vita are incredibly good consoles. The PSvita has recently been announced to be ceasing production (at least in Japan, where JRPGs originate from) in 2019, so it may be a good idea to buy one before then. If I had to make a choice game-wise, then it’d be tricky, but I’d probably say Vita because I played Trails of Cold Steel (+2) and Persona 4 Golden on it, and the console is incredibly easy to play on and comfortable to hold as well. The 3DS is also great, but I haven’t had as much experience playing non-Pokemon JRPGs on on it. There are also some great games on the non turn-based RPG side of things, namely Gravity Rush (hard to define the genre but really fun and crazy yet awesome). Akiba’s Beat (JRPG using real time instead of turn based) isn’t a game for everyone by any standards (mostly because of its weak story), but its gameplay and music are good enough for it being worth £16 for a physical copy. So yeah, I say go Vita.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The Switch would really only get you I am Setsuna and Octopath, otherwise it's pretty sparse right now. I'd probably vote for Vita as well as it's my preference over the 3DS, but the 3DS has a generally bigger library. A lot of the JRPGs on Vita are Japan only, which isn't a problem if you can read Japanese as they're not region locked.

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
I'm interested in getting Nightshade for my Nintendo Switch (An otome game priced at $50 on the Switch but as $35 on Steam, so maybe it comes bundled with all the DLC in the Switch version?). Also, I'm tired of buying otome games with bad translations, and most mobile or PC to system ports seem to be direct ports, so if anyone has Nightshade for Steam/PC, how's the translation? If anyone's interested, Nightshade comes out December 20, 2018 on the Nintendo Switch. Just in case, if anyone replies to this after December 20,2018 and has Nightshade for the Nintendo Switch, how is it? Is the translation good?