• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official "What Game(s) Should I Get?" Topic

Amacitare

Ninja Cat
"A Link to the Past" or "Ocarina of Time"
I've played a bit of Phantom Hourglass and Twiltight Princess.
I've played all the way through Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword.

I love the Legend of Zelda games. Without spoilers (anything major), which would you all say is better. I don't know much about them because I don't want to spoil them for me. At some point I will probably end up with both, so which should I get first?

Thank you!

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Ocarina of Time is probably more similar to the Zeldas you've already played in that it's a 3D world as opposed to a 2D one; it's technically also considered first chronologically by the official Zelda timeline, though that means almost nothing in terms of plot.

If you're just going to end up playing both, I don't know what standards you'd use to decide which one to play first; it really doesn't matter. Use a coin or some other PRNG if you want an arbitrary decision.

CptDrDigi

Chickity China
Just saw Darksiders 2 for 7.50 on Steam, and was wondering if it was any good. Anyone here got something to say about it?

Grey Wind

Ocarina of Time isn't the first game chronologically, there are three other games that come before it. Which you play first doesn't really matter though; both are similar in that they introduce many of the series' staples, so there's nothing in that department that really makes one stand out. ALttP does take place a little after Ocarina though, so there's that.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Ocarina of Time is probably more similar to the Zeldas you've already played in that it's a 3D world as opposed to a 2D one; it's technically also considered first chronologically by the official Zelda timeline, though that means almost nothing in terms of plot.

If you're just going to end up playing both, I don't know what standards you'd use to decide which one to play first; it really doesn't matter. Use a coin or some other PRNG if you want an arbitrary decision.

Uhhh... Skyward Sword is the origin. OoT isn't even in the first 3 in the timeline. To buy Hyrule Historia if you want the official chronological timelines of the games. SS is first, then Minish Cap, then Four Swords, THEN OoT.

Anyways, I still feel really salty about Bit.Trips. People on GAF were saying how good the games were, and since it was on sale on the eShop, they said it was definitely a steal. I said okay, went and bought it with the last $6 from the FEXSMT $30 promotion, and downloaded it. I played it, saw several games, tried the first game... WTF is this?? Second game, third game... Then the last. None of the games interested me, nor did I has fun with them... It's all my fault for not researching the game. $6 down the drain, when I could have saved it for the Resident Evil Revelation sale which happened not too long after that :(

Enough about that waste. I just preordered the Bravely Default Collectors Edition last night. I was pretty surprised there were still CEs around. I thought for sure it was only gonna be a limited run, just like I was really bummed out when I tried to preorder the Persona 4 Golden CE a month before release, but Gamestop ran out. I can't wait for it. The CD case looks really, and we actually get a hard case, unlike SMTIV's sleeve thing. I'm gonna keep that CD unwrapped. It looks too good, and I'd want it as a Collector's item. I can just listen to the soundtrack in game or on Youtube. Also, 34 AR cards!! I bought the giant Mii AR card from Club Nintendo (I have it somewhere lying around the house), but I haven't used it yet because the feature has been really useless for me so far. The AR exclusive Dream Eaters for KHDDD were great partners, but I could have finished the game without them. Still, I'm also gonna keep it unopened, and just scan the cards from the Internet, like I did with DDD.

Anyways, to the people who have the game, how is it? I heard it's a sequel to the DS FF games. The Crystal Chronicles or something like that? I'm familiar with FF, but not the CC spin-offs. I've played the demo, but only for like 20 minutes before getting owned by those frog things on the southwestern part of the map. Any user reviews?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Uhhh... Skyward Sword is the origin. OoT isn't even in the first 3 in the timeline. To buy Hyrule Historia if you want the official chronological timelines of the games. SS is first, then Minish Cap, then Four Swords, THEN OoT.

no, I meant first as in first out of OoT and ALttP

which, again, is largely irrelevant

Amacitare

Ninja Cat
Hmm, that's interesting. I never could figure out any sort of timeline. I kind of figured they were in parallel universes or something.
I would never have guessed Skyward Sword was first. Is is supposed to take place before the world was created, so there were no people there? I was thinking it took place after the world destroyed itself or something.

Anyways, thank you for your help. Still working on pokemon y so I'll think more about it after that!

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?

Anyways, I still feel really salty about Bit.Trips. People on GAF were saying how good the games were, and since it was on sale on the eShop, they said it was definitely a steal. I said okay, went and bought it with the last $6 from the FEXSMT $30 promotion, and downloaded it. I played it, saw several games, tried the first game... WTF is this?? Second game, third game... Then the last. None of the games interested me, nor did I has fun with them... It's all my fault for not researching the game. $6 down the drain, when I could have saved it for the Resident Evil Revelation sale which happened not too long after that :(

Enough about that waste. I just preordered the Bravely Default Collectors Edition last night. I was pretty surprised there were still CEs around. I thought for sure it was only gonna be a limited run, just like I was really bummed out when I tried to preorder the Persona 4 Golden CE a month before release, but Gamestop ran out. I can't wait for it. The CD case looks really, and we actually get a hard case, unlike SMTIV's sleeve thing. I'm gonna keep that CD unwrapped. It looks too good, and I'd want it as a Collector's item. I can just listen to the soundtrack in game or on Youtube. Also, 34 AR cards!! I bought the giant Mii AR card from Club Nintendo (I have it somewhere lying around the house), but I haven't used it yet because the feature has been really useless for me so far. The AR exclusive Dream Eaters for KHDDD were great partners, but I could have finished the game without them. Still, I'm also gonna keep it unopened, and just scan the cards from the Internet, like I did with DDD.

Anyways, to the people who have the game, how is it? I heard it's a sequel to the DS FF games. The Crystal Chronicles or something like that? I'm familiar with FF, but not the CC spin-offs. I've played the demo, but only for like 20 minutes before getting owned by those frog things on the southwestern part of the map. Any user reviews?

Well, firstly, it is a spin-off of the DS title, Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (Which I also own). It is partly a spin-off, but most enemies and all the main characters are the same from T4HoL.

I really like the game. It is difficult, so it lasts a long time, but no so difficult so that you play it once and then never again. The bosses are smart and know who can take them, so they'll focus on killing them ASAP. The music, again, is very nice and well orchestrated. The story itself is quite obscure, but so is the game, so it fits in nicely.

Overall, a very good game, and anyone who likes JRPG's should get it!

Aurath8

I'm not sure how it fits in with other games as its my first good old-fashioned JRPG as FE:Awakening is more Turn-based strategy and while Pokemon is Japanese, it doesn't quite fit my definition of 'JRPG'.
The difficulty is really good. Normal maintains a good difficulty level throughout the game as long as you do all the sidequests and fight through every random encounter. The only thing that changes difficulty-wise as you progress is that the game gets more complicated as you get more command abilities and support abilities and jobs etc.
Speaking of which, the battle system is vast and complex like any RPG, but the only part that feels overbearingly complicated are the fully customisable special attacks. The game also goes out of its way to provide little incentives to learn the more non-standard stuff yourself.

As for the story: the premise certainly isn't obscure. The world is swallowed by darkness and a few teenagers must go awaken 4 crystals around the world. Even to me, this sounded cliché at first but the dynamic between the 4 heroes, and the constant stream of memorable bosses make it deeply engaging. The voice acting is also very good imo. Apart from Airy who is basically Navi with a body.

Overall, I can't recommend this game enough, for providing the traditional RPG experience via the premise that looming over the story while keeping it fresh with a good battle system, story and a difficulty that always keeps me on my toes.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I'm planning to get Lollipop Chainsaw. I just want to know how sexually it is. Is it similar to GTA V? Or how far the sexual stuff goes. I don't mind violence or language, nya~

Abstinence Pistols

Is the GOG version of Dungeon Keeper Gold worth the purchase? I've heard droves about how great it is but I also was told the GOG version had performance issues.

SilverCharizard

Is animal crossing a good game? I got a three ds and after finishing pokemon X i am looking for games to play. I have friends who play it and they seem to like it but i am not sure

Nulava

Banned
Is animal crossing a good game? I got a three ds and after finishing pokemon X i am looking for games to play. I have friends who play it and they seem to like it but i am not sure

Yes.

Animal Crossing has been very popular among fans since it first debuted back in 2001.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf received a lot of positive reviews.
Look at the trailer: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=z09iRo44Mcs

I was also recommended by friends to get this game as well.
Hope this helps. :)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi, I'm looking for a fighter/JRPG game for PS3/Wii I'm asking that the fighter should be T rated or below, since I don't want a fighter with too much suggestive content and something easy for begginers. And my experience with JRPGs are Kingdom Hearts, Fire Emblem, and Pokémon.

I don't have many suggestions for fighting games, but I have plenty for JRPGs. Since you've got a PS3 the Tales or Final Fantasy series would both be great to start with. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles just recently came out for PS3, it's an HD remake of two previously released games in the series, it'd be a good start.

MarcusKincaid

Hi, I'm looking for a fighter/JRPG game for PS3/Wii I'm asking that the fighter should be T rated or below, since I don't want a fighter with too much suggestive content and something easy for begginers. And my experience with JRPGs are Kingdom Hearts, Fire Emblem, and Pokémon.

Record of Agarest War for PS3 IMO is a good JRPG, the voice acting isn't translated and it has some suggestive content, but I don't think it's too bad and I think you can skip it too. For fighters you could try Injustice, it's from the makers of Mortal Kombat without the blood and gore.