• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official "What Game(s) Should I Get?" Topic

Raokiji

I never played Sonic games before, but I have this free theme in my 3DS which I toggled with Zelda & Pokemon themes both I have games with. So I decided I'll get 1 Sonic game from the limited time Sonic games on sale in the eShop.
So what do you guys think is best from these 3?
3D Sonic The Hedgehog, 3D Sonic The Hedgehog 2 or Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble.
Thanks!

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
Alright I'm planning to start one of the longest games I ever played (and never finished), Final Fantasy VI. There are two main versions of it. One is the American version Final Fantasy III for SuperNES, and the other is the GameBoy Advance version. The only thing that's keeping me from choosing are the games themselves. So, which one? When it comes to completion, both are 100% "completable". The GBA version apparently has more stuff in it, but does it deviate to much from the original's gameplay and feel? If you played both, which one did you like best?

KillerDraco

Alright I'm planning to start one of the longest games I ever played (and never finished), Final Fantasy VI. There are two main versions of it. One is the American version Final Fantasy III for SuperNES, and the other is the GameBoy Advance version. The only thing that's keeping me from choosing are the games themselves. So, which one? When it comes to completion, both are 100% "completable". The GBA version apparently has more stuff in it, but does it deviate to much from the original's gameplay and feel? If you played both, which one did you like best?

Aside from the extra dungeon at the end and a few more Espers, the GBA version is pretty much the same. The only real appreciable difference is the fact that the translations are better in the GBA version, putting them more in line with what they're supposed to be. The SNES games were notorious for some laughable translations at times.

So, go for the GBA version.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
Aside from the extra dungeon at the end and a few more Espers, the GBA version is pretty much the same. The only real appreciable difference is the fact that the translations are better in the GBA version, putting them more in line with what they're supposed to be. The SNES games were notorious for some laughable translations at times.

So, go for the GBA version.

Excellent. Just what I like to hear. Nothing lost, extras added. GBA version it is. Thanks for your input. This gonna be good...

Leafy Sea Dragon

I'm having trouble deciding on if I should get titles on the 3DS Virtual Console or not. I originally wanted to get a Wii U due to a lot of old games that I haven't played were cheaper there than on other platforms. Assuming the NX may bring back the eShop and is backwards compatible with Wii U games, I'm now leaning towards waiting for the NX unless things are ever announced otherwise. I've also learned that a lot of the Wii U vc games are colored differently/darker.

Are the 3DS VC games similar in quality to the Wii U VC games, or to the original?

Limiting my list of wanted games to those that are 3DS eShop exclusive(?), do any of these games look different from their original version/other ports? Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Seasons, Pokemon Yellow, Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, Wario Land II, and Wario Land 3. I also have a GBA and a Wii if the games are much better on those platforms. Granted some of these games aren't entirely colorful so it probably wouldn't matter to get on the 3DS for some of them.

Would the above games be better to play on the Wii if I was able to buy them from the Wii's Shop channel? I've also heard that some of the Wii vc games are dark as well. Noticeably Kirby's Dream Collection has old games (Or was it only Super Star?) that are not as colorful/bright as before.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
Should I pick up Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS immediately? Do you think they going to become rare and expensive games or should I wait on them?

Feline

Why?
The Gunvolt games are coming out on October 4th, two games in one cartridge. One being the original in Japanese but will be translated into English. Is it better than Megaman?

Should I get the Wii U or 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors? I don't care about graphical differences & prefer to play handheld games, but is the Wii U version significantly better than the 3DS version (graphics aside)?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Should I get the Wii U or 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors? I don't care about graphical differences & prefer to play handheld games, but is the Wii U version significantly better than the 3DS version (graphics aside)?

3DS version it is, then, since it is the version that has more content, at the expense of making everything look cheap.

By the way, do NOT try it on the OG 3DS. It doesn't perform well.

Last edited:

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
3DS version it is, then, since it is the version that has more content, at the expense of making everything look cheap.

By the way, do NOT try it on the OG 3DS. It doesn't perform well.

Seconding this. The 3ds version has more stuff, especially with the DLCs, but it lags like hell on old 3DSes. They really should have listed it as a N3DS game, because it's apparently almost unplayable on original 3DS.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I've been thinking about getting sonic unleashed for wii but I'm not sure. Is it good? I've seen so many reviews and they are mostly mixed.

BCVM22

I've been thinking about getting sonic unleashed for wii but I'm not sure. Is it good? I've seen so many reviews and they are mostly mixed.

Sonic Colors replicates everything good about Sonic Unleashed, and ditches the utter slogs that were the nighttime Were-Sonic levels.

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer

get BOTH. Wii U edition is of course better looking but also has local multi-player. If you get the 3DS version, you can play the game on the go, plus you get a code to get a free DLC for the Wii U version basically.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
get BOTH. Wii U edition is of course better looking but also has local multi-player. If you get the 3DS version, you can play the game on the go, plus you get a code to get a free DLC for the Wii U version basically.

The problem is both versions are strange. The Wii U version may be better looking, but it lacks content and the fairy feature the 3DS version has already. The 3DS version has more story, all the DLC from the Wii U version from the get go, and has the exclusive DLC it has going for it, but its processing power even on the N3DS makes it look uglier than the Wii U version. It's as if Super Mario Maker on the 3DS had the online feature and some more extras over the Wii U version that has less stuff and online but looks prettier.

In the end, you're burning money getting the Wii U version just because you want to see the characters without too many polygons at the expense of content. Oh, and by the way, you need to spend like $15 more to get the rest of the characters and the maps that can't be transferred from the 3DS to Wii U. You're more likely than not spending over $100 buying everything, games included.

As a Wii U version owner, I was disgusted how the 3DS version was created and they didn't even bother upgrading the Wii U version with those extra features. I'm sure as hell don't want to waste 100 more hours getting everything all over again.

Last edited: