• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official "What Game(s) Should I Get?" Topic

^^: I’ve never played or seen Nightshade before so I couldn’t say. Thanks for the recommendation though!

If you don’t want to worry about translation problems in an Otome game, I’d recommend Cinderella Phenomenon. It’s a Western Otome for PC that’s free-to-play, and it’s got some gorgeous storytelling, characters and art abound. Amnesia is also a very good direct translation from the creators that I really like (and I’ve ranted about that game enough on this site so I’ll stop there).

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I'm not really interested in Smash Bros., Red Dead 2, or Kingdom Hearts 3, so I'm kind of out of games to play right now, and nothing that's currently out sounds appealing. So I'm wondering if there's any hidden gems on the GBA or DS (we'll save the 3DS for another day) that I've just completely missed for whatever reason. I'd be looking for RPGs (turn-based or tactics) or platformers in particular, but I wouldn't mind trying something else out if it strikes my fancy.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is a good turn based game, with random generation like PMD. Your level and inventory reset if you die, but you keep items in storage, so you can exploit that to fashion the ultimate sword as you keep challenging yourself to go further. (Tao's Adventure is another turn based in and out of the dungeon game, but it feels more like standard grinding.)

If you've not tried it The World Ends with You is an interesting one, the fights are more like arcade style (but on two screens, which is challenging).

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Have you ever played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? That's a pretty good turn-based strategy RPG.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
@VampirateMace The only Mystery Dungeon games I've played are the Pokemon ones. I'm actually waiting for the Chocobo one to come out! I'll look at Shiren and Tao then. The two screens aspect of TWEWY always put me off back then, but maybe now that it's on the Switch, it'll be easier for me to handle.

@Hydrohs I have played FFTA, along with War of the Lions and FFTA2. They're what convinced me to give FF12 a shot, since they all take place in the same land. I really liked them.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Has anyone gotten the Dragon’s Lair Trilogy Collection on the Switch? If so then does it have the famous animated cutscenes and voice acting? I’ve wanted to play the game as close to its arcade version since I first learned about the game on YouTube a year ago.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I'm not really interested in Smash Bros., Red Dead 2, or Kingdom Hearts 3, so I'm kind of out of games to play right now, and nothing that's currently out sounds appealing. So I'm wondering if there's any hidden gems on the GBA or DS (we'll save the 3DS for another day) that I've just completely missed for whatever reason. I'd be looking for RPGs (turn-based or tactics) or platformers in particular, but I wouldn't mind trying something else out if it strikes my fancy.
I sure wouldn't call them "hidden" gems, but Golden Sun is one of my favorite RPG series and on GBA/DS, if you haven't played them.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
@The Teller I’m not very versed in the DS RPG library yet (although I want to be), so this isn’t a suggestion for that genre, but the Professor Layton games are good if you’ve got patience for both puzzles and trick questions. They can be a little crazy sometimes and I will admit some are better than others, but they’ve got so much charm and atmosphere to them that I can’t help but recommend.

I also haven’t played this one myself, but Drawn to Life is meant to be really good. Heard someone call it Undertale except it’s from 2008 and everyone forgot about it. Character design looks pretty good for it.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Dark Dawn is only good when you intentionally turn off all the Djinn, so you get the difficulty of the other two previous games (which would be harder than hard if you actually DID turn off the Djinn over there).

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
@The Teller I’m not very versed in the DS RPG library yet (although I want to be), so this isn’t a suggestion for that genre, but the Professor Layton games are good if you’ve got patience for both puzzles and trick questions. They can be a little crazy sometimes and I will admit some are better than others, but they’ve got so much charm and atmosphere to them that I can’t help but recommend.
I played the first Layton game a long time ago and remember getting frustrated with the puzzles very quickly. I guess I just didn't want to think too hard in a video game at that time.
Dark Dawn is only good when you intentionally turn off all the Djinn, so you get the difficulty of the other two previous games (which would be harder than hard if you actually DID turn off the Djinn over there).
If I remember correctly (it's been years since I played), I didn't turn off any Djinns, but I also didn't mess around with the mechanic too much. So my playthrough was neither too difficult nor too easy, which is typically how I like it.

SummerHaze

No particular order (besides the top 3)
  1. Diablo 2

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

3. Super Mario 64

4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

5. Half-Life 2

6. Resident Evil 1/7

7. Dark Souls 1/3

8. Bioshock

JayZz

I like to play online game with the element of gamble where every player need to buy loot boxes with cool items. In the end of the game each player will win one randon item from the box in any case. So entertaining! Hope this time I'll win a PS4

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Would you recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 2, if:
  • A. I have never played the series before. (In case 2 is reference to a sequel.)
  • B. I enjoyed Zelda: BoTW.
I have just bought Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but also looking for other alternatives to try and keep me entertained during Sword & Shield period.

Or, should I prioritize getting Super Mario Odyssey first?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
  • A. I have never played the series before. (In case 2 is reference to a sequel.)
I have just bought Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but also looking for other alternatives to try and keep me entertained during Sword & Shield period.

I’d suggest Odyssey first. The game is really fun and easy to learn the controls. It’s similar to Mario 64 except the collectibles are a bit easier to grab and the movement is much smoother and no real delay when you jump or turn while running. Also regaining health is easy as standing still for ten seconds will replenish it to full which is handy if you’re one hit away from death.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

I think that would depend on how much of a JRPG fan you are (and possibly if you enjoyed the XC1) vs how much you want a Mario game that has wide appeal.

Personally, if I were to make the choice, I would choose Odyssey, but you may want to consider a couple of things.

KillerDraco

90% of Xenoblade 2 is self contained, i.e., you don't need to play Xenoblade 1 to be able to understand and enjoy it. It's just that 10% is more impactful if you have played Xenoblade 1. That said, as far as JRPGs go, the pacing in the first half of Xenoblade 2 is a bit slower and more trope heavy, while the action really picks up in the second half.

I'd say Super Mario Odyssey is probably a better buy overall if you haven't played Xenoblade 1. It's more easy to play Odyssey in short sessions as compared to Xenoblade 2 which favors a bit longer gameplay sessions, and in terms of gameplay it's more consistent since platformers tend to be always going as opposed to JRPGs which stop-and-go with the story. That said, Xenoblade 2 has a good narrative if you're looking for a good story, it's just that it can take a little while to get off the ground.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I just bought a Sega Dreamcast today with Mortal Kombat Gold, anyone have any game suggestions besides the obvious one Sonic

KillerDraco

I just bought a Sega Dreamcast today with Mortal Kombat Gold, anyone have any game suggestions besides the obvious one Sonic

Dreamcast? Haven't heard that name in years...

Skies of Arcadia is probably one of my favorite RPGs ever, although it's worth noting there's an enhanced port for Gamecube that's generally the better option. Still, you can't go wrong with Skies of Arcadia if you're an RPG fan. For the fighting genre, the Power Stone games are really solid, and a lot of fun to boot. It's just that fighters aren't really everyone's cup of tea so without people to play with your mileage may vary.