• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official "What Game(s) Should I Get?" Topic

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
It sounds like Control would be right up your alley.

The SX is backwards-compatible with a lot of XBox One and 360 games, so I would recommend looking into their libraries as well if you've never had those consoles. You might enjoy the Saints Row games (mainly 3 and 4), the Resistance games (especially 3), Assassin's Creed IV, Sleeping Dogs, and Transformers: Devastation. Also look into the Rare Replay collection if you're interested in older, more cartoony games.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will look into those games. I seem to recall hearing some things about Control, but I don't remember much about what I heard. I will take special note of that suggestion and see what all I can find.

-forgets to post this reply before checking out your suggestions-
Ok, the ones that look the most interesting to me so far are Control and Assassin's Creed IV.
From what I can find, the Resistance series seems to be a Playstation exclusive. It sounds sort of interesting, so that may help anyone with any more ideas. I'm not really a Transformers person (I did check out that game just to be sure though), and Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs don't look like the sort of game I'd enjoy. Saints Row seems to be about playing through the life of a gang in an informal combat playstyle (from what I can tell), which isn't necessarily a turn-off for me, but I looked into them, and they don't seem to fit what I like much. Similar with Sleeping Dogs. I'm not really one for most sorts of martial arts combat, but like Saints Row, I did look into it.
I haven't looked into the Rare Replay collection yet.
Again, I am very appreciative for your suggestions.

EDIT (just in case anyone is wondering what happened next):
I have decided on Control and Assassin's Creed IV. I am getting them for Christmas, along with an Xbox Series X (yes, I was able to purchase one recently, and it should arrive early January). The Xbox console will just be a late Christmas gift.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Don't know about you but if I had to be specific in describing the hack & slash nature of games like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Nier, or No More Heroes, high octane hack and slash would make too much sense as a genre to describe such games don't you think? If it's just hack and slash, then games like Breath of the Wild would be thrown in there. But you know what I love most about these types of games. The action is often great in these types of games but what really draws you into the action, what motivates you to keep on going is just the high octane music that goes with the high octane action against these high octane bosses in these high octane set pieces. High octane!

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
In that case, you could look into the Dynasty Warriors series. Cutting through whole armies worth of enemies, coupled with the amazing music that gets you pumped for said cutting through enemies just makes you feel like an absolute boss! It also helps if you like or at least appreciate that it takes pages from Japanese history, including historical figures and major events, but that's something else to be talked about...In any case, look into it if you have the time!

NPC

sleep researcher
Don't know about you but if I had to be specific in describing the hack & slash nature of games like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Nier, or No More Heroes, high octane hack and slash would make too much sense as a genre to describe such games don't you think? If it's just hack and slash, then games like Breath of the Wild would be thrown in there. But you know what I love most about these types of games. The action is often great in these types of games but what really draws you into the action, what motivates you to keep on going is just the high octane music that goes with the high octane action against these high octane bosses in these high octane set pieces. High octane!

Games like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and Nier: Automata are usually described as "character action" (or previously, "stylish action"). If you're looking for games like that, check out Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Astral Chain. If you want the over-the-top spectacle without so much of the combos, try Asura's Wrath. If you want a more cartoony approach, try The Wonderful 101. As for older games in this style, consider God Hand and Bujingai: The Forsaken City.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
It’s Halloween, and I feel like playing some horror games on my Switch. I prefer creepy, psychological stories with plenty of lore over other types of horror. I don’t like jumpscares in the slightest, but I guess I can tolerate them if there aren’t any horror games without them. I have a Switch, and any games I’d play would be in the preferable price range of $5-30.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
First thought is Layers of Fear. I don't know if it's got a lot of lore, but from what I know of it, it's psychological horror since, well, you know, you're an insane artist going through your house that constantly shifts and shows you reminders of your dead wife and old life.

shoz999

If you like Pokemon but are disappointed by the quality of Pokemon releases recently, I have a couple of suggestions.

Shin Megami Tensei V - Atlus has so much confidence in this flagship title that they had reviewers reviewed this game a week early with critical acclaim. Although, I must warn you that although it doesn't have a lot of gore or blood like other M-rated games, it does live up to its M-rating through it's subject matter and philosophy.

Monster Hunter Stories 2 - More kid friendly than the above mention, Monster Hunter Stories 2 is a strong fan letter to Monster Hunter fans with a lovely light-hearted story at the beginning. If you like dinosaurs and dragons, you'll fit right in home with this game.

corruptZ

It’s Halloween, and I feel like playing some horror games on my Switch. I prefer creepy, psychological stories with plenty of lore over other types of horror. I don’t like jumpscares in the slightest, but I guess I can tolerate them if there aren’t any horror games without them. I have a Switch, and any games I’d play would be in the preferable price range of $5-30.
did you see a rabbit get hit on the road? maybe you want to keep it later.
Pet Game I recommend.
Absolutely based
Criteria, maybe tactics. i prefer to use board game go!

SerebieNi

I have been playing a lot of MMORPGs, now my favorite is New World. It feels a bit more casual to me than most MMORPGs. Yes, you can invest thousands of hours into it, to be fair, I'm not super far into FFXIV either (about level 40, not even to expansions yet). But I'm enjoying my time in New World far more than FFXIV, I think for the sheer fact it's newer, we'll see if that lasts. I also enjoy only paying $40 once with no subscription fee.

As I saw someone else mention, the game kind of has a "next gen" feel. Now, the graphics aren't ridiculously beautiful (its not like Cyberpunk on Insane level) but the game world looks nice. The combat system is interesting. It feels good actively fighting and blocking and not just auto-attacking enemies. Though there aren't a ton of skills this makes every battle feel that much more alive.

The crafting system is excellent (at least so far). I have never played a game before where I spent this much time crafting, am genuinely excited to craft things and even think about and plan what I'm going to gather and craft each time I leave town/a settlement. New World definitely picked the right sound effects and visual flairs to give you that dopamine hit every time you level a trade skill, a weapon skill or get this your map skill (lol, well you have "territory" levels kind of like reputation).

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I already have around 85 hours on BDSP. Like these games.
I will get LA when it gets out, if it has Kalos (=perfect) Pokemon in it.

Humuskk1

If you're into Minecraft I strongly recommend Dragon Quest Builders 2. I've always enjoyed Minecraft (still do) however single player survival is so boring that it's unable to hold my attention for long. I'm more interested in multiplayer or mods, but they share the same issues, IMO.

DQB2 is a great game because it has a lot of really good characters which makes the experience feel more alive . They also provide you with goals and objectives that keep me interested to the experience. It's somewhere between survival MC and creativity which means that building things feels as if you've achieved something, without becoming a chore. There are also plenty of amazing tools available in the game to accelerate and automate the building process , so you can create massive complex structures quicker.

ToonsJazzLover

I’m super behind on Nintendo gaming, so I’m planning to play retro games through Virtual Console/Switch Online. I’m also planning on buying GameCube/Wii games through Facebook’s shop. But my main goal is to buy some Switch as well as a microSD card.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
A few questions for you all:

I have enough money to get these games:
Root Double: SF mystery VN with nuclear explosions
Fatal Twelve: Horror (?) VN involving death and the afterlife
Nurse Love Addiction: Yuri mystery VN
Nurse Love Syndrome: Same as above.

Which of these would you all recommend? Feel free to look then up.

I could also get Steins;Gate Elite once it goes on sale. I don’t have any way of getting the original SG, since I don’t have a PC or another console other than my Switch. Would it still make sense for me to buy it if it’s $25 or so? Or since I’ve seen the S;G anime, would it be pointless, since Elite seems to be an adaptation of the anime?

shoz999

I finished Inscryption and this is going to sound strange, but trust me on this. If you love Pokemon TCG on Game Boy Color, you are going to love Inscryption lol.