• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
^ But one of those is SSBB, which is one of the better games on Wii.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
There are very little wii games one might want to play with a gamecube controller
And yet Mario Kart Wii gets no respect. I actually find the GCN controller better for control than the Wiimote tilted to the side.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
^ Well I never bought that ._.

And I really liked the Wii mote controls for Xenoblade Chronicles(that may come as a surprise lol) The Last Story and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Last edited:

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
And yet Mario Kart Wii I actually find the GCN controller better for control than the Wiimote tilted to the side.

I find the Wiimote and Nunchunks combo to be much better. Although I don't really play or like Mario Kart Wii due to the cheap AI always somehow winning.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I find the Wiimote and Nunchunks combo to be much better. Although I don't really play or like Mario Kart Wii due to the cheap AI always somehow winning.

It's because the Blue Shells break the game.

I've always preferred the Classic Controller, myself.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Though I liked Mario Kart Wii with a GCN controller, I really thought Excitebots was a very enjoyable game with the motion controls. Now that game really used the motion controls well.

BCVM22

It isn't baseless.

You can add a qualifier like "sort of" or "pretty much" if you'd like. I'm flexible.

More than enough people have made it known that they dislike motion control being the main control scheme of the system.

This isn't even remotely close to true. And even if it were, tough sh*t for them. The Wii U uses Wii Remotes for some titles. It's not the main input method or control scheme, no, but it's still pretty deeply ingrained in a few games. Get over it and move on.

One could completely ignore anything and everything new to the Wii U that uses such controls, but that would be cutting off one's nose to spite one's face in the worst way.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The motion control "debate/argument" reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy, specifically the spider boss. You know why that particular boss was fun. It's because of the great motion control scheme behind it.

The controls can be used right such as those in Excitebots. Now where's that darn list I made earlier?

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Im going to thank you for mentioning that Pyschic^

You know what I always find funny, the old time nintendo fanboys who hate all the new complicated controls but also hate motion controls. Those poor ashamed bastards XD. Cant find anything fun for them these days.

Though personally for me playing from the bathroom has been happening since SSBB came out. Playing brawl wirelessly from the bathroom XD

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
You can add a qualifier like "sort of" or "pretty much" if you'd like. I'm flexible.
No, nay, never, no way, no how.
This isn't even remotely close to true.
It sure a heck is. Just about any game that gives the option of using either the Classic/Pro/GCN or the Wiimote/Nun have people favor the former. Sure there are some outliers like Shovelware and the first party games like Skyward Sword(Which still had control problems for a Zelda title), but you can't honestly say the people that prefer a non-motion based controller are in the minority.

I agree motion controls(Wiimote in this case) can be used right but it really hasn't been yet, or rather consistently.

And even if it were, tough sh*t for them. The Wii U uses Wii Remotes for some titles. It's not the main input method or control scheme, no, but it's still pretty deeply ingrained in a few games. Get over it and move on.
Few is way better than most in this case.

BCVM22

but you can't honestly say the people that prefer a non-motion based controller are in the minority.

Nor can one claim them to be even remotely close to the majority, as you're doing.

I agree motion controls(Wiimote in this case) can be used right but it really hasn't been yet, or rather consistently.

Motion control has been used just fine and consistently. The only "problem", if problem it is, is that so often in the games where it's used without being problematic, the motion gestures are used simply in place of a button control. But that doesn't make the control scheme a poor one, it simply means that the control method hasn't been used to its full potential yet.

woot21

super noob
Quick question, would you rather play the Metroid Prime games with the GCN controller, or with the motion controls?

woot21 out dawgs

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
To be specific, Excitebots was great for the Wii motion controls since it allowed room for error, and it seemed like you were feeling every inch of the race, the game was everywhere with the schemes, but in a good way.

I do think the best Wii games are ones like Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 as well as Metroid Prime Trilogy (which Prime 1 worked better with Wii controls), and Wario Land: Shake it!

Within the three categories of Wii games, I mentioned that there are control heavy games like Smooth Moves and Excitebots, control integrated games such as those I mentioned above, and the minimal approach like Brawl and Radiant Dawn.

Is it really fair to mention shovelware in this conversation. Shovelware can make anything look like crap.

Edit: @woot21, I answered your question without realizing it. I didn't even see your post before I posted this.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Quick question, would you rather play the Metroid Prime games with the GCN controller, or with the motion controls?

woot21 out dawgs

That's really what I think of when I think of motion controls done right. There were times, while playing through the three, that I thought "Man I really wish I could use a GCN controller." But actually thinking about it, I really don't think it would have been better.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Nor can one claim them to be even remotely close to the majority, as you're doing.
It's a pretty reasonable assumption that the majority of video game players, Wii or otherwise prefer stationary controls as opposed to motion based. If only for familiarly.

Motion control has been used just fine and consistently. The only "problem", if problem it is, is that so often in the games where it's used without being problematic, the motion gestures are used simply in place of a button control. But that doesn't make the control scheme a poor one, it simply means that the control method hasn't been used to its full potential yet.
There's plenty more than that. Such as swipes and rotations not registering. Lack of good camera control on most games. Hell, they had to released the Plus just to make some of that bearable.

Perhaps it's not being used to its full potential, but with a system being based on that one gimmick, it should of had been pretty damn close.