1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by DaAuraWolf, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Nor can one claim them to be even remotely close to the majority, as you're doing.

Motion control has been used just fine and consistently. The only "problem", if problem it is, is that so often in the games where it's used without being problematic, the motion gestures are used simply in place of a button control. But that doesn't make the control scheme a poor one, it simply means that the control method hasn't been used to its full potential yet.

2. woot21

woot21 super noob

Quick question, would you rather play the Metroid Prime games with the GCN controller, or with the motion controls?

woot21 out dawgs

3. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

To be specific, Excitebots was great for the Wii motion controls since it allowed room for error, and it seemed like you were feeling every inch of the race, the game was everywhere with the schemes, but in a good way.

I do think the best Wii games are ones like Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 as well as Metroid Prime Trilogy (which Prime 1 worked better with Wii controls), and Wario Land: Shake it!

Within the three categories of Wii games, I mentioned that there are control heavy games like Smooth Moves and Excitebots, control integrated games such as those I mentioned above, and the minimal approach like Brawl and Radiant Dawn.

Is it really fair to mention shovelware in this conversation. Shovelware can make anything look like crap.

Edit: @woot21, I answered your question without realizing it. I didn't even see your post before I posted this.

4. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

That's really what I think of when I think of motion controls done right. There were times, while playing through the three, that I thought "Man I really wish I could use a GCN controller." But actually thinking about it, I really don't think it would have been better.

5. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

It's a pretty reasonable assumption that the majority of video game players, Wii or otherwise prefer stationary controls as opposed to motion based. If only for familiarly.

There's plenty more than that. Such as swipes and rotations not registering. Lack of good camera control on most games. Hell, they had to released the Plus just to make some of that bearable.

Perhaps it's not being used to its full potential, but with a system being based on that one gimmick, it should of had been pretty damn close.

6. Auraninja

As I have mentioned with my "three types of Wii games" the Wii is not a one trick pony, and the level of motion control use is highly varied in both use and application.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No it isn't.

Often alleviated by the increased motion sensitivity of the Plus, among other things.

Which has nothing to do with the motion control.

Uh, no. No, that's not what they "had to released" [sic] the Plus. They released the Plus because it greatly increased the sensitivity of the motion control to a degree, at costs and with components that weren't feasible at launch. They weren't scrambling to do it (it took three years) and it certainly didn't have anything to do with "camera control".

8. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Only if you're a robot.
    Which still didn't totally correct the problem.
    But of the Wiimote itself which is a direct result of motion control.

I'm pretty sure a capable Wiimote could have been released at launch.

Either way, if motion control was so great and mighty as you say and most of people preferred that, then I am sure Nintendo wouldn't have released multiple versions of the Classic Controller to the public. You've said multiple times that video game companies don't aim to please the minority. Nintendo clearly saw there was a significant amount of people that would purchase the CC as a alternate form of controlling the game.

9. Iris Mist

Iris Mist Hylian Princess

I love motion controls better than stationary, does that make me a robot?

Uhhh.. The classic controller was released so people could play VC games (which do not support the Wiimote) and GC games. Simple as that.

10. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Possibly.

Just about every VC game could be modified to use the Wii Remote. As for GC games, look at Metroid Prime trilogy.

11. arceus7

arceus7 Arcane Of The Wild

It doesnt matter what you say JB BVCM22 is going to explain to you explicitly why you're argument is largely invalid till he turns purple like a swampert.

12. Auraninja

Well, you know what happens when somebody brings a largely incorrect and biased testimonial.

Anyways, we have the Wii U, which has its own capabilities. It will still have Wiimote support, and as Miyamoto says, chucking Pikmin with the Wiimote is a lot of fun.

13. arceus7

arceus7 Arcane Of The Wild

But it doesnt support Wii Remote pluses, now please tell me whats up with that...

The control scheme on this console is so convoluted its ridiculous

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  14. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

If this is true, then saying opposite would be largely incorrect and biased as well.

15. Zibdas

Zibdas not bad

I thought the opposite of bias and opinion was fact.

16. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Not in this case. A play on a phrase, if you will.

17. Iris Mist

Iris Mist Hylian Princess

The VC games I have downloaded do not work with the WiiMote. Gamecube game that's in the Wii at the moment: Super Mario Sunshine.

Since I'm being accused of being a robot, imagine that phrase in robot speak :D

18. Aegon

Aegon Well-Known Member

It doesn't?

19. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

That's inaccurate. Of course the Wii U supports Remote Plus controllers. Some games, like Nintendoland, outright require them for some gameplay.

No idea what the poster in question is saying.

20. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Well that wan't what I was saying. Doesn't matter anyway since the Wii U's main focus isn't motion control and they a dedicated traditional controller.