• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Then explain why Gaikai, a cloud gaming service, claimed a mere one week before being bought out by Sony that one of the Big 3 console manufacturers wouldn't have a console next generation. Explain why Sony is currently developing TVs capable of having video games streamed directly to them. Explain the lack of funding increase in Sony's R&D Division, which is indicative of a console not being developed.

The only thing pointing towards Sony entering the next console generation would be developers claiming they have dev kits, which could easily be a lie.

woot21

super noob
Then explain why Gaikai, a cloud gaming service, claimed a mere one week before being bought out by Sony that one of the Big 3 console manufacturers wouldn't have a console next generation. Explain why Sony is currently developing TVs capable of having video games streamed directly to them. Explain the lack of funding increase in Sony's R&D Division, which is indicative of a console not being developed.

The only thing pointing towards Sony entering the next console generation would be developers claiming they have dev kits, which could easily be a lie.
Because this is the internet, and rumors abound, and gain steam with no rhyme or reason, until the truth is lost in the sea of ignorance.

BCVM22

It could be a lie. But I don't think it is. I think, as is usually the case, that the truth is found somewhere in between. I do think it's exceedingly implausible that Sony has done zero development on a next-gen system yet. What's been done beyond that start is where there's room for guessing.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Regardless of that, this is the thread for the Wii U rather than PS4 speculation. Move that to a new topic if you want but keep on topic here please.

Dreamcast

Really dislike the Wii U. It's not radically different enough from the Wii to justify the price. If I had to guess I'd say going first in the next generation of consoles will hurt more then help. The Wii U isn't exactly going to corner the market when people are expecting to see the PS4 and Xbox prototypes soon. It reminds me of my beloved dreamcast which got a head start on the PS2 in 1999 but ended up getting crushed. If you have a really successful system with longevity like the Wii, why rush into the next generation with only a few new features.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
We've been over this, comparing it to the Dreamcast is stupid because Nintendo isn't even close to in the same situation SEGA was in at that point, and the other consoles aren't even going to be out next November, if at all.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
We've been over this, comparing it to the Dreamcast is stupid because Nintendo isn't even close to in the same situation SEGA was in at that point, and the other consoles aren't even going to be out next November, if at all.

It's not stupid because of that. It's stupid because the Dreamcast was the greatest console ever made and therefor cannot be compared to the systems of today that are utter garbage by comparison.

Shiro to Kuro

Aspiring Author
So far, I'm not liking the Wii U. My boyfriend works at Toys R Us, so he's been around them almost as much as someone at GameStop has, and he says that they're almost not worth it. One of the first releases barely has enough memory for anything. Not to mention, you can't buy the game pad. Anywhere. They don't market them separately. What happens if you break one? Are you just going to have to suck it up and send it to Nintendo and hope that they can fix it, and that it won't break the bank?

Better hope companies don't want to make games that require more than one game pad.

There's also the matter that, unlike with Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo seems to have refused to make the Wii U look any different from the Wii. It looks almost exactly like the Wii. I like my systems to look different. PlayStation didn't look like PlayStation2, and they practically share a name. Same for XBox and XBox 360. Bleh...

I only ever find myself playing third party games, Zelda, or Pokemon on Nintendo systems anymore, anyway. They need to broaden their horizons.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
So far, I'm not liking the Wii U. My boyfriend works at Toys R Us, so he's been around them almost as much as someone at GameStop has, and he says that they're almost not worth it. One of the first releases barely has enough memory for anything. Not to mention, you can't buy the game pad. Anywhere. They don't market them separately. What happens if you break one? Are you just going to have to suck it up and send it to Nintendo and hope that they can fix it, and that it won't break the bank?

Better hope companies don't want to make games that require more than one game pad.

There's also the matter that, unlike with Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo seems to have refused to make the Wii U look any different from the Wii. It looks almost exactly like the Wii. I like my systems to look different. PlayStation didn't look like PlayStation2, and they practically share a name. Same for XBox and XBox 360. Bleh...

I only ever find myself playing third party games, Zelda, or Pokemon on Nintendo systems anymore, anyway. They need to broaden their horizons.

You realize, of course, that by the time games that use two gamepads are actually, uh, extant (which they will be - eventually), there's a pretty good chance that you'll be able to buy a second one. And if you break a piece of equipment that would run, at the very least, $100, is needing to have it repaired rather than buying a new one really so bad?

I guess aesthetics are a matter of opinion, but I still think that's a ridiculous reason to dislike a system. And who really needs to broaden their horizons?

Anyway, I still haven't gotten my Wii U yet. Kmart apparently doesn't honor their pre-orders very well, so I'm just going to have to go elsewhere once I've gotten a refund. I'm getting antsy to play it, since I already have Scribblenauts, and I'd really like to explore all of the features.

Zibdas

not bad
So far, I'm not liking the Wii U. My boyfriend works at Toys R Us, so he's been around them almost as much as someone at GameStop has, and he says that they're almost not worth it. One of the first releases barely has enough memory for anything.
That's why they invented this magical thing called "external storage".

Are you kidding? It's vastly different, especially the Premium model.

that's nice dear

Shiro to Kuro

Aspiring Author
Are you seriously treating me like a child?

Do you watch X Play? Even they aren't impressed with the Wii U. None of my serious gamer friends are. They think it's crap. Everyone I talk to says Nintendo has basically been going downhill since the Wii.

I've read about it. I've had discussions with people. Honestly, I'm definitely looking forward to the PlayStation4. Even if it isn't backwards compatible, the games on it are sure to be better. Everything on the Wii U so far is Mario or a port. Thanks, Nintendo. That's what I want; a game I've already played.

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
So far, I'm not liking the Wii U. My boyfriend works at Toys R Us, so he's been around them almost as much as someone at GameStop has, and he says that they're almost not worth it.

Oh well, if your boyfriend who works at Toys 'R' Us has developed such an informed opinion based simply on being around the WiiU "almost as much as someone at GameStop has", maybe I should get a refund on my purchase.

Why are we expected to care about the opinion of people who have not only not played the system, but are posting based on second-hand information?

One of the first releases barely has enough memory for anything.

Given there is external storage available for very low prices today, that shouldn't really make a difference. I am personally glad Nintendo didn't include a great deal of internal storage, so I don't have to pay more for the system itself just for storage I can get from an external device.

Not to mention, you can't buy the game pad. Anywhere. They don't market them separately. What happens if you break one? Are you just going to have to suck it up and send it to Nintendo and hope that they can fix it, and that it won't break the bank?

If you send it to Nintendo and have to pay for them to fix it, how is that any more bank-breaking than simply being able to purchase a new one?

If games are released requiring a second game pad, and Nintendo haven't made these readily available, then you can complain. Otherwise, leave hypothetical scenarios out of it. They have no bearing on the real world.

Are you really that much of a slave to aesthetics that you need the console to look completely different from its predecessor? As long as the console works well and doesn't look awful, I am happy. The WiiU achieves both of these criteria.

Do you watch X Play? Even they aren't impressed with the Wii U. None of my serious gamer friends are. They think it's crap. Everyone I talk to says Nintendo has basically been going downhill since the Wii.

Do you rely on critics telling you if a movie is good before you work out whether you will see it or not? I couldn't care less what X Play think of a console or a game. I care about what I think, and the best way to make an informed opinion is to experience it myself.

I've read about it. I've had discussions with people.

So, no actual personal experience with it. Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Honestly, I'm definitely looking forward to the PlayStation4. Even if it isn't backwards compatible, the games on it are sure to be better. Everything on the Wii U so far is Mario or a port. Thanks, Nintendo. That's what I want; a game I've already played.

So, based on no information whatsoever, you are convinced the games on PS4 will be better than what Nintendo have to offer at the time. Also, there are still plenty of games (released and imminnent) which are neither Mario nor ports.

Last edited:

Zibdas

not bad

I've read about it. I've had discussions with people. Honestly, I'm definitely looking forward to the PlayStation4. Even if it isn't backwards compatible, the games on it are sure to be better.
For my views see O Fortuna's post above.
Everything on the Wii U so far is Mario or a port. Thanks, Nintendo. That's what I want; a game I've already played.
0Trine 2
-Rayman Legends
-Lego City: Undercover
-Little Inferno
-Fifa 13

And that's just scraping the breadbasket.

Zibdas

not bad
Trine 2 is a port. Fifa 13 is also a port. Just saying.
sh you're not helping
Wait, when were the two released? Are they being launched at the same time as their release on other consoles, or are they late to the Wii U?

Recon

I've read about it. I've had discussions with people. Honestly, I'm definitely looking forward to the PlayStation4. Even if it isn't backwards compatible, the games on it are sure to be better. Everything on the Wii U so far is Mario or a port. Thanks, Nintendo. That's what I want; a game I've already played.

We're only treating you like a child cause your acting like one. You're basing your opinion on a newly released console from second-hand information. Stop being such a slave to reviews. You can't just judge a console or game by any single review. Your opinion has to be based on your own experience, not someone else's. However if this is what's stopping you from purchasing or even trying out the system, let me say this. "Congrats, you're missing out."

Shiro to Kuro

Aspiring Author
I've just noticed that the games that Sony releases have more replay value than those that Nintendo releases. Not to mention, that, so far, all of the games I'm looking forward to owning or playing are for PlayStation or XBox.

My boyfriend researches these things, too. He doesn't just blindly follow a company like they're the most precious thing in the world. Your trusting that it will be as good as you clearly believe it will be is just as bad as my distrusting it until I see that it has some hope. I don't hate the system, I just haven't seen any reason for me to like it, yet. I don't blindly follow anything: not faith, not politics, not gaming companies.

I never said that all of the games that will be released for the Wii U are ports or Mario. Notice that I said "Everything on the Wii U so far is Mario or a port." Don't read half of what I type and think that you've read it all.

I would believe that the best way to get an informed opinion on something is to experience it yourself if it weren't for the fact that the system costs hundreds of dollars. Excuse me, but I don't have that kind of money that I can just throw away on something that I hope will be good. I've played around on the consoles that are on display in GameStop and the games are utter crap. The Wii U is nothing impressive so far.

By the way, the hobby of gaming is just as expensive as my hobby of traditional art. I don't exactly want to go broke on a string of hope that I'll enjoy this game, or that system. I don't want to need to buy memory for me to use when they could just as easily put it in the system itself. I would rather need to save up a little extra for the system as a whole after finding out that I do, in fact, want the damn thing than needing to buy more things for it so that I can actually use it. I already need to buy enough and pay for enough as it is.

I never needed any extra storage on my Wii, and I have yet to need extra storage on my 3DS, so why would I be so willing to be okay with needing to buy extra storage for the Wii U when Nintendo can easily make all of the copies they're releasing of the Wii U as good as the Premium package?

I just need a little incentive to buy the system; not just knowing that it's by Nintendo.

You have to admit, though, that Nintendo can't just keep relying on their mascots to keep them afloat.

Zibdas

not bad
I've just noticed that the games that Sony releases have more replay value than those that Nintendo releases. Not to mention, that, so far, all of the games I'm looking forward to owning or playing are for PlayStation or XBox.
You really oughtta play more games, would be my suggestion.

I don't blindly follow anything: not faith, not politics, not gaming companies.
Except apparently internet critics and males of close relations.

I never said that all of the games that will be released for the Wii U are ports or Mario. Notice that I said "Everything on the Wii U so far is Mario or a port." Don't read half of what I type and think that you've read it all.
Excuse me, but Little Inferno and several others I cannot be bothered to find at the moment are neither Mario nor a port. Also Nintendo Land.

I would believe that the best way to get an informed opinion on something is to experience it yourself if it weren't for the fact that the system costs hundreds of dollars. Excuse me, but I don't have that kind of money that I can just throw away on something that I hope will be good. I've played around on the consoles that are on display in GameStop and the games are utter crap.
One demo available, and you're basing your entire opinion on it. Neat.

The Wii U is nothing impressive so far.
Oh you know, sans the tablet, the scanner, the HD graphics, the online, the camera...

I never needed any extra storage on my Wii, and I have yet to need extra storage on my 3DS, so why would I be so willing to be okay with needing to buy extra storage for the Wii U when Nintendo can easily make all of the copies they're releasing of the Wii U as good as the Premium package?
Because (choose your answer)
A) That would be expensicve and drive up the cost as as a whole.
B) It's the same amount of storage as most 360s I see.
C) External storage is pretty cheap.

I just need a little incentive to buy the system; not just knowing that it's by Nintendo.
I can respect that. But if you need incentive, you'll have to try harder than sitting there and basing opinions on second parties.

You have to admit, though, that Nintendo can't just keep relying on their mascots to keep them afloat.
I don't have to admit that, because they're doing great with these mascots and they already have quite a bit of third party support so far anyway.

Shiro to Kuro

Aspiring Author
I play a ton of games. I've played most of the Zelda games, all of the Pokemon games, a few Harvest Moon games, a few Final Fantasy games, Tales, Animal Crossing, Pinball, some Sonic, Warriors Orochi, Samurai Warriors, Monster Hunter, Castlevania, Mario, Kirby, Kingdom Hearts... I know their are others...

Oh my God... Nintendo Land just looks so bad...

What? They had like...six demo games up.

The tablet, the scanner, the camera, the blah blah... They don't impress me. I don't get my system for stuff. I get my system for, well, playing.

It's not cheap if your bank account stays at a hefty $400 and never seems to move anywhere but down.

We're only treating you like a child cause your acting like one. You're basing your opinion on a newly released console from second-hand information. Stop being such a slave to reviews. You can't just judge a console or game by any single review. Your opinion has to be based on your own experience, not someone else's. However if this is what's stopping you from purchasing or even trying out the system, let me say this. "Congrats, you're missing out."

Oh, I'm sure to buy it eventually, after all the launch Wii Us are out and problems that are inevitable have been fixed, and after better games are released. Right now, as I've said, they're just ports and Mario. I've played Rayman, and I don't enjoy his games.

I wouldn't be basing my opinion so harshly on reviews if I hadn't been so disappointed in the Wii itself. I have one game on it that I play, and that's a stupid Pinball game. It's fun as hell, but...really? I mean, I barely even play Harvest Moon on it. Harvest Moon: ToT isn't really that good. The original - which was ported - beats it so hard.

Still, though. That's not what I wanted the Wii to be. They hardly use the Wii mote and nunchuck for what they were originally intended for. The motion control. You only really see that in Wii Sports. I didn't even play Twilight Princess on the Wii - because I had it on GameCube - or Skyward Sword - because I watched my boyfriend play it. When I tried to play I just couldn't get in to it. Could not get into it.

It just seems like, anymore, the only games I enjoy that are Nintendo are solely for the handheld systems. I want something fun to play on my TV. I want more than just Tales and Final Fantasy - which are, again, on PlayStation.

Come on, Nintendo. Impress me. :/