1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by DaAuraWolf, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Recon

Recon 11001101011101010100

Complete speculation, doesn't even have to do with the Wii U itself. And even if one small part of this is about the Wii U, it doesn't mean that this whole video is about this. This is about Nintendo as a company, and speculation on a current event.

Besides, we have an topic on this in the OVGD already.

2. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

That GamePad because it's close to a handheld hybrid. I trolled a hotel that wanted to force me to play their costly Nintendo 64 games by simply plugging the console into a socket.

3. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

I have to say that my favorite aspect of the Wii U (yes, there are positive things about it, lots of them), has to be the fact that it's still really big with local multiplayer. As most people here know, I prefer local multiplayer where you play against people you personally know, as opposed to online multiplayer where you play against names with no faces. You don't see that too often in games anymore. I probably play more older console games than newer ones because of this. So yeah, local multiplayer is definitely something I never want to see go away.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. Shadow XD001

Shadow XD001 Well-Known Member

Local multiplayer along with online multiaplyer is nice. I prefer having both. You act like we don't think there's anything positive about it. Are you talking about how the Wii U doesn't have a strong library of games yet?

5. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

Online multiplayer is not always like this. A big part of online multiplayer is being able to play with friends who may not live just down the street from you. While I'm definitely a fan of local multiplayer, if I had to pick one of the two I'd rather have online multiplayer. You can always play with people online, you don't always have someone close to you to play with.

6. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

This is especially true for handheld devices.
    -

I'm curious to see if anyone else is like me, in regards to buying games.

I don't have a Wii U because I can't afford it, but there are all these great games, I would like to play. In the event I do ever get a Wii U, and pick a random game that exists then and there, in the future, however if I get money to buy Wii U games, I'll be more focused on buying the newest and latest games that pique my interest. Unfortunately leaving the other games I wanted to play that were released much earlier at the store.

Are any of you like this, or do you actually get the games you wanted to play and work your way to newest and latest games?

7. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

I was talking about that awhile ago.

Online multiplayer can be alright, but it's situational. I prefer to be able to play against people that don't constantly drop f-bombs or play obnoxiously loud music in the background (reference Call of Duty and Battlefield). If I know the people in real life, then that doesn't tend to happen. That's why I never do online multiplayer, unless I can make it invite-only. Happily, invite-only is starting to become an option for alot of games.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  8. TheFonz

TheFonz Pokemon Semi-Master

Well to me it depends on the games that I want to play more and not how new or old they are. It also depends how much money I have saved up haha. Like Pokémon X and Y are an absolute first day buy, while I may get Pikmin 3 or W101 a bit later, but then again I also want NSLU and SM3DW. WW and DKCTF are tempting buys too

I'm a mess...a job could help buy all these games haha

9. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Well, Serebii (and the Europeans) got Pikmin 3, as evidenced by his Pikmin 3 pictures in Miiverse.

10. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

So yeah. A major retailer in the UK is no longer going to carry the Wii U console. The explanation of why is in the article itself, as well as Nintendo's reaction to it (which is also interesting). Most of you probably don't know who this company is, but I guarantee that Serebii Joe knows who they are.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/uks-second-biggest-supermarket-stops-stocking-wii-u-6412164

Now to be fair, this isn't necessarily all bad news. It is still going to be available in their online store. It just isn't going to be in their physical stores anymore (at least not right now). And they did sell out of the Wii U consoles that they did have in stock, though after they went on clearance. However, this does illustrate the fact that retailers aren't going to wait forever for a product to become successful. They want to make money. And if they're not making money on a product, they're not going to have it in their stores.

Now this might change when the new games come out. But right now, things could definitely be looking better for the console.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  11. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

The Wii U already had spurts of success. Besides, if we applied that logic, should we exclude nearly all consoles for not becoming immediate successes? I'm looking at you PS3, and I want to play more Sonic Generations.

12. Hydrohs

Retail stores don't really make money on consoles anyway, they're like computers in that regard.

13. TheFonz

TheFonz Pokemon Semi-Master

According to Serebii Joe and some others in the UK, they never saw any Wii U systems being in those stores anyway. I don't see why they would be selling many game systems anyway since it's not a common place for people to buy a game system

14. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

Do you have a link to where Joe said that? And I'm pretty sure that people do indeed buy consoles in the UK.

If that was the case, then what would retailers have to gain from carrying consoles in their stores?

This is true. However, this is not about the PS3. This is about the Wii U, and this is happening now.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  15. FusionKT

FusionKT *cough*

I'm pretty sure they meant the store, not the country.

Retailers still make money on consoles, just not a whole lot.

16. Aurath8

Aurath8 Well-Known Member

UK resident incoming, and I don't see Wii Us(or any consoles really) in Asda stores. Asda is primarily a supermarket chain, with a few other stores running under the premise of 'we. sell. everything.' Either way, most people aren't going to buy a Wii U alongside their weekly shop, and tend to go to the other stores for home appliances and other things that aren't consoles. I'm not surprised it's not profitable in stores, as if I had to buy a games console I'd do it via GAME, Amazon or somewhere else online.

The hope that people will buy games. Even people who rarely buy games like me are going to go through at least 9 or so during its lifetime.

17. DucksGoMooful

DucksGoMooful Evergreen tail?

18. Hydrohs

It's all about selling accessories. Games, controllers, warranties etc. These are all high-profit items. The consoles are what draws people in, then you want them to buy extra things.

19. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

If that was the case, then the store wouldn't have anything to gain by dropping the Wii U.

20. Aurath8

Aurath8 Well-Known Member

Space for more profitable items to have in stock?

And I'm not sure where else to post this, but lifetime sales of the Wii just crept above 100 million. Coupled with the DS, Nintendo got 250 million in hardware sales last generation.