1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by DaAuraWolf, Dec 27, 2011.

1. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

Exactly. It's about profits. If something isn't making a retailer money, it's gone. The Wii U wasn't making any money, so it was taken off the shelves in favor of things that are selling.

2. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Except how it's been explained to you repeatedly that the retail chain was not of the sort that has anything to gain by selling Wii U hardware in-store and how their decision not to do so isn't even remotely news. From people who shop at the chain in question, no less. You're making this out to be significantly more important than it actually is.

3. TheFonz

TheFonz Pokemon Semi-Master

Exactly. What is with some people going crazy about the Wii U? Sure it had a slow start and is far from perfect, but it doesn't deserve all the hate from people who have no idea what they're talking about. Nintendo gets hated either way I guess

4. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

And with the PS3, it happened then. You have to keep time relevance in mind. The Wii U could have a better turn for success after slower momentum.

5. Mewtwo152

Mewtwo152 Not dead yet.

I don't like linking you guys to IGN, but this actually a good article from them.
    Unlike most IGN articles, this one actually puts the Wii U and Nintendo into perspective, and I think it could help anyone who doesn't know what to believe get things straight.

6. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

You sell the main item to draw people in, and then have the buy your items that give you a profit. That's how sales works. That's why retailers sell computers, they make no money and in many cases lose money but they stock them so people will purchase profitable items with them.

7. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

That isn't how it works at all.

Retailers do what's called a markup. So yes, they do make money off it. They might not make as much money off a console as the company that made it, but they still get money for selling it. And if it isn't earning them money, then they drop it and move onto something that will earn them money. That's how it works. This is why if you work retail, your boss will tell you to push certain products, because every time you sell one, the store gets x amount of money (which in turn helps with the store's TNR).

Why do you think that company dropped the Wii U in favor of other product?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. Hydrohs

... That is how it works. I work in retail.

9. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

If that was the case, then what would the company have to gain from dropping the Wii U from their shelves in favor of another system?

That may indeed happen down the line. But I'm talking about the present. If the Wii U does start doing better, I'll mention it.

10. Hydrohs

In this case I'd say they stopped stocking it to free shelf space. This is something that's happening a lot in retail, online arms of retailers carry many, many times more items than what can be found in a store because you don't need to worry about merchandising it all. The company didn't even drop it for another system, they just took it off the shelves, likely they'll then fill the space with more accessories or games. As for your second question, one is never told to do that. Retail stores make profit on markup, they're not paid by manufacturers.

11. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

So retailers do make money when they sell the products, as I said.

12. Hydrohs

Not quite what you were saying, but even so that's only if there is any markup, which there isn't on high ticket electronics, not enough to truly consider an item profitable, anyhow.

13. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

Question, since I don't really get this. Don't retail stores make some profit from MSRP and stuff, or does it all go back to the manufacturer? I've heard retail gets some money from selling the consoles, but this is the first time I heard that they don't

14. quadpants

quadpants New Member

to be honest...i disapprove of the WiiU, it seems too me like Nintendo is running out of ideas.

15. Hydrohs

It's very little, for the most part retailers are selling the product at close to cost. Cost being the price they pay for the item from the vendor. In terms of profit from an item, Nintendo would be the one making the most profit from the Wii U as it's bought by vendors to sell to retailers. Retailers aren't making much buying from a vendor to sell to a consumer.

16. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

17. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

god no, nintendo should stay away from anime

18. Hydrohs

You've got to remember that Miyamoto doesn't really do a whole lot any more.

Also an interesting perspective from Games Radar: http://www.gamesradar.com/wii-u-gamecube-not-virtual-boy/

Basically, Nintendo doesn't much care how well their home consoles do as long as their handhelds are doing well. It's definitely true that they rule the portable space.

19. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Are you saying it because of how bad the Pokémon anime is, or because you just don't want them in the market?

20. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

some of both tbh