• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Is this, like, a real thing that people think? As in, there are people who complain that a hugely effective 22-minute weekly commercial with expendable viewership doesn't meet their high standards?

No, just all the craziness Best Wishes has caused. There weren't as many big problems with it before.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The worse that happened was that mother *******, sh**** anime that I shamefully say was supposed to represent F-Zero. It was terrible and then they made some less than stellar games of that stupid damn show that had the worst sh**** writing. 4kids did not ruin it. It was already ruined to begin with.

What are you talking about? This is ****ing amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HT5eBNR3_g

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The one diamond in the rough, or rather, a load of garbage. I will say that was awesome. Here's the ultimate F-Zero challenge! Don't worry, you don't have to touch GX, just name me another awesome scene from the anime.

Never watched it, but honestly, that one scene alone warrants its creation.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
I've been playing the story mode and it's pretty fun. I still haven't found the captain but the graphics are really awesome. The only complaints I have is the camera controls are a little bit more difficult than Pikmin 2 (other than the lock-on feature) and the Gamepad controls, but I can just use the Wii remote anyway so that doesn't matter :)

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0
So I finally got Pikmin 3, but now I need to do an update before I can play, then later it failed, then I got a pop up for Nintendo Network ID, I tried it, but it said I didn't enter my info right or something, I don't what to do for it. What's with all the unnecessary stuff just to play the game? Why can't the update just be on disk like the Wii games?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So I finally got Pikmin 3, but now I need to do an update before I can play, then later it failed, then I got a pop up for Nintendo Network ID, I tried it, but it said I didn't enter my info right or something, I don't what to do for it. What's with all the unnecessary stuff just to play the game? Why can't the update just be on disk like the Wii games?

Because the update might be too big/was pushed after the game shipped?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
to be honest...i disapprove of the WiiU, it seems too me like Nintendo is running out of ideas.

I don't disapprove of the console. I've loved Nintendo since the days of the NES. I grew up with all the cheesy 80s Mario and Zelda shows. I've been a fan as every system up to this one has come out, and it's likely that nothing is going to change that. And honestly, I don't think Nintendo's really running out of ideas. They're definitely playing it safe with some of their franchises, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't say they're running out of ideas. But that's not what I was talking about with my previous posts.

All I was originally saying is that Nintendo should have had more exclusives for the Wii U this past year, in order to make the console more competitive and sell more units. Do I think it sold horribly? Not really (at least in total; this quarter was pretty atrocious), but it definitely had the potential to sell much better, especially if one of those games they announced at E3 had been out at the time. I'm not saying they should have had every single game out at launch. But if they had one or two of those really good looking titles they announced at E3, and they had them back when the system launched in the first place, more people would likely own a Wii U right now. Therefore, there would be more potential for people to buy any exclusives that would be coming out this fall.

And as expected, when I started to criticize the Wii U and mention all this, the Nintendo fans jumped on it with 'Oh, it's fine. Games take a long time to make.'. The thing that's funny about fanboys, is that there is a double standard when it comes to them. Let me explain what I mean.

Back when the PS3 came out, people here were bashing the console as being 'dead on arrival' and my favorite 'the final nail in Sony's coffin'. And they did have a lot of the same problems with the PS3 that the Wii U has right now (which is why I'm NOT saying those kinds of things about it; they made mistakes the first year, but the console is nowhere near 'dead on arrival'). A console with few exclusives for its first year, and even I said they needed more exclusives. Now admittedly, I didn't own a PS3 the first year it came out (mainly because I usually have a policy of not getting a console in its first year, which I broke when the Wii U came out by the way). But I did understand where a lot of them were coming from.

Now the same thing is happening with the Wii U in its first year, but there are two differences. First, the Wii U didn't have another big next gen system to compete with for its first year. And second, people here have suddenly changed their tune. It's now suddenly ok for a new console to have only a couple exclusives when it launches, and for it to not sell well right away. And anyone that says differently is wrong and doesn't know what they're talking about. But I promise you that if this had been the PS4 or the Xbox One that had done this, everyone here that is defending the Wii U would jump on them and attack them for it.

And like the PS3, I don't think the Wii U is going to completely fail or anything extreme like that. I think it'll do fine, eventually. I just think Nintendo should have used their initial year more wisely, much like how I think Sony should have used the first year of the PS3 more wisely. Now granted, if the new Mario and Zelda games come out, and then after that the console STILL isn't selling well, well then we might have a problem. But I really don't foresee that happening.

Is this, like, a real thing that people think? As in, there are people who complain that a hugely effective 22-minute weekly commercial with expendable viewership doesn't meet their high standards?

Just because kids watch it, doesn't mean it needs to be dumbed down. This has been proven true time and again. Kid's shows don't need to treat their audience like idiots.

Last edited:

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
I think he achieved exactly what he intended, if poorly worded. Read his post closely.

Problem loading page doesn't tell me anything.

Cmack102

I'm considering buying a Wii U, is it really worth my time/money?

I'd really only be buying it for a few games, namely:
-Zelda
-Smash Bros
-Mario Kart

So I'm not sure if it's worth getting one. I'm sure I'd get more games for it if I got one though

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
I'm considering buying a Wii U, is it really worth my time/money?

I'd really only be buying it for a few games, namely:
-Zelda
-Smash Bros
-Mario Kart

So I'm not sure if it's worth getting one. I'm sure I'd get more games for it if I got one though

Oh its well worth it. Considering the WiiU seems to be the only machine that seems to have the games preforming great on the machine

And Platinum Is making games for it lol.

In general if you can afford to go PC this gen. You really should do it.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
I don't disapprove of the console. I've loved Nintendo since the days of the NES. I grew up with all the cheesy 80s Mario and Zelda shows. I've been a fan as every system up to this one has come out, and it's likely that nothing is going to change that. And honestly, I don't think Nintendo's really running out of ideas. They're definitely playing it safe with some of their franchises, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't say they're running out of ideas. But that's not what I was talking about with my previous posts.

All I was originally saying is that Nintendo should have had more exclusives for the Wii U this past year, in order to make the console more competitive and sell more units. Do I think it sold horribly? Not really (at least in total; this quarter was pretty atrocious), but it definitely had the potential to sell much better, especially if one of those games they announced at E3 had been out at the time. I'm not saying they should have had every single game out at launch. But if they had one or two of those really good looking titles they announced at E3, and they had them back when the system launched in the first place, more people would likely own a Wii U right now. Therefore, there would be more potential for people to buy any exclusives that would be coming out this fall.

And as expected, when I started to criticize the Wii U and mention all this, the Nintendo fans jumped on it with 'Oh, it's fine. Games take a long time to make.'. The thing that's funny about fanboys, is that there is a double standard when it comes to them. Let me explain what I mean.

Back when the PS3 came out, people here were bashing the console as being 'dead on arrival' and my favorite 'the final nail in Sony's coffin'. And they did have a lot of the same problems with the PS3 that the Wii U has right now (which is why I'm NOT saying those kinds of things about it; they made mistakes the first year, but the console is nowhere near 'dead on arrival'). A console with few exclusives for its first year, and even I said they needed more exclusives. Now admittedly, I didn't own a PS3 the first year it came out (mainly because I usually have a policy of not getting a console in its first year, which I broke when the Wii U came out by the way). But I did understand where a lot of them were coming from.

Now the same thing is happening with the Wii U in its first year, but there are two differences. First, the Wii U didn't have another big next gen system to compete with for its first year. And second, people here have suddenly changed their tune. It's now suddenly ok for a new console to have only a couple exclusives when it launches, and for it to not sell well right away. And anyone that says differently is wrong and doesn't know what they're talking about. But I promise you that if this had been the PS4 or the Xbox One that had done this, everyone here that is defending the Wii U would jump on them and attack them for it.

And like the PS3, I don't think the Wii U is going to completely fail or anything extreme like that. I think it'll do fine, eventually. I just think Nintendo should have used their initial year more wisely, much like how I think Sony should have used the first year of the PS3 more wisely. Now granted, if the new Mario and Zelda games come out, and then after that the console STILL isn't selling well, well then we might have a problem. But I really don't foresee that happening.

Just because kids watch it, doesn't mean it needs to be dumbed down. This has been proven true time and again. Kid's shows don't need to treat their audience like idiots.

They dumb down the show because ret conning and the writers change often and so does the target audience

SBaby

Dungeon Master
They dumb down the show because ret conning and the writers change often and so does the target audience

I'm going to do this fast, because I really want to get back to talking about the Wii U.

The target audience really isn't the issue when it comes to the Anime. It has been kids, and it always will be kids, because the show is based on a Nintendo product. In general, most Nintendo products are geared toward kids (or at the very least, all age groups), so logically the show would be geared toward kids. This much, I can understand. But that doesn't mean they need to talk down to their audience. Japan of all places should know that kids are smarter than adults give them credit for being. Even if the Pokémon Anime had an ongoing plot where every episode built on the previous ones and they didn't 'reset' things every Region or they dealt with more serious subject matter, I promise you that kids would still tune in, even if they didn't see how the entire series began all those hundreds of episodes ago. That's a testament to the marketability of Pokémon. Even if they were to change things up in the plot department, kids (and probably most of us on this site) would still tune in.

Anyway, back to the Wii U. Unfortunately, this one's a video, as I couldn't find the article to this. I know the fact that this is just a video will make BCVM22 sad, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. For all you other people out here, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkBbEjgmBk

To paraphrase, Bethesda isn't supporting the Wii U, due to the fact that they think the system 'can't handle their games'.

Now, I'm going to call BS on what they said about the Wii U for many of the same reasons he did in the video. The Wii U has more processing power than the PS3 (from what I read, nearly twice as much if it's maxed out), and Bethesda had games coming out for the PS3 throughout its life cycle. So saying it's because a system can't handle the games isn't an excuse when you're making the games cross-generation anyway (that means they'll be on both next-gen and current-gen systems). What's the real reason, Bethesda? Come on. Tell us. Stop dancing around the issue.

I know I've been talking about processing power and graphics when it comes to the PS4 and Xbox One compared to the Wii U, and that was from a business perspective which is an unfortunate but real issue when it comes to selling consoles and games. But the thing people need to realize is that graphics don't necessarily make a good game. I've seen games with gorgeous visuals that were absolutely terrible and shovel-ware at best. And at the same time, I've played games that still have 2-d graphics (on the PS3 and 360, no less), which were amazing (Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown are two of those games, though the former was a PS2 game). This is why when I personally go out and buy games, I look at story and gameplay first and graphics are secondary. So this goes to developers and gamers alike. Stop being graphics munchkins and learn to enjoy games for what they are.

So yeah, in this case, I'm coming down on Nintendo's side, mainly because it irritates me to no end when the only thing developers talk about are graphics and processing power when it comes to whether gamers will like a game or not.

Last edited: