• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So, in case nobody bothered to find out, The Wonderful 101 Demo is available right now for NA, EU, and JP.

I may have to give it a shot, everyone's talking about it. Gotta check out all the hype.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I'm considering buying a Wii U, is it really worth my time/money?

I'd really only be buying it for a few games, namely:
-Zelda
-Smash Bros
-Mario Kart

So I'm not sure if it's worth getting one. I'm sure I'd get more games for it if I got one though

I would get it for sure, and I reccomend Pikmin 3 as well as the games you mentioned.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I watched the W101 Direct and it was amazing. I didn't realize how fun and interesting it looks. It is a DEFINITE must have for the Wii U...now if I only had the money for W101, Pikmin 3, X and Y, and all the other games coming out...

PokemonFan13

Is anyone having issues with the Wii U e shop cards? I have used them from the local CVS for 3DS and they work fine but today I tired for Wii U for Duck Tails Remastered and the code won't work and tried it 6 times.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
I'm considering buying a Wii U, is it really worth my time/money?

I'd really only be buying it for a few games, namely:
-Zelda
-Smash Bros
-Mario Kart

So I'm not sure if it's worth getting one. I'm sure I'd get more games for it if I got one though

Well at the moment the Wii U doesn't have any new games in those series, but they will be coming out (unless Smash Bros 4 gets delayed) within the next year. I would recommend getting it for sure, but make sure you get the Deluxe version. I'd also recommend getting games like Pikmin 3 and the Wonderful 101 when it comes out, they are very fun and cool games.

So, in case nobody bothered to find out, The Wonderful 101 Demo is available right now for NA, EU, and JP.

I tried it, and my only complaint is confusion as to what's going on. It's definitely fun to play, but it's just sort of all over the place, which is a positive but moreso a negative. Hopefully the actual game will be a bit better.

Orithan

Anyway, back to the Wii U. Unfortunately, this one's a video, as I couldn't find the article to this. I know the fact that this is just a video will make BCVM22 sad, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. For all you other people out here, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkBbEjgmBk

To paraphrase, Bethesda isn't supporting the Wii U, due to the fact that they think the system 'can't handle their games'.

Now, I'm going to call BS on what they said about the Wii U for many of the same reasons he did in the video. The Wii U has more processing power than the PS3 (from what I read, nearly twice as much if it's maxed out), and Bethesda had games coming out for the PS3 throughout its life cycle. So saying it's because a system can't handle the games isn't an excuse when you're making the games cross-generation anyway (that means they'll be on both next-gen and current-gen systems). What's the real reason, Bethesda? Come on. Tell us. Stop dancing around the issue.

I know I've been talking about processing power and graphics when it comes to the PS4 and Xbox One compared to the Wii U, and that was from a business perspective which is an unfortunate but real issue when it comes to selling consoles and games. But the thing people need to realize is that graphics don't necessarily make a good game. I've seen games with gorgeous visuals that were absolutely terrible and shovel-ware at best. And at the same time, I've played games that still have 2-d graphics (on the PS3 and 360, no less), which were amazing (Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown are two of those games, though the former was a PS2 game). This is why when I personally go out and buy games, I look at story and gameplay first and graphics are secondary. So this goes to developers and gamers alike. Stop being graphics munchkins and learn to enjoy games for what they are.

So yeah, in this case, I'm coming down on Nintendo's side, mainly because it irritates me to no end when the only thing people talk about are graphics when it comes to whether they like a game or not.

It's different to when the PS3 was out because they have a new engine; Unreal 4. It probably doesn't support the Wii-U for reasons other than graphics. It's also about the console's architecture. The PS3's Cell architecture held it back because it was difficult to program on. Developers want to spend as little money as possible on porting games, and having a difficult console to port to isn't going to work out for them as well as you would imagine. I can imagine that Bethesda would find it impractical to port to the Wii-U on a combination of poor processing power (for the Next-Gen consoles) and difficulty to port to.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
It's different to when the PS3 was out because they have a new engine; Unreal 4. It probably doesn't support the Wii-U for reasons other than graphics. It's also about the console's architecture. The PS3's Cell architecture held it back because it was difficult to program on. Developers want to spend as little money as possible on porting games, and having a difficult console to port to isn't going to work out for them as well as you would imagine. I can imagine that Bethesda would find it impractical to port to the Wii-U on a combination of poor processing power (for the Next-Gen consoles) and difficulty to port to.

Bethesda still released their games on the PS3. Both Oblivion and Skyrim were released on the console. Sure, Skyrim didn't run perfectly and needed half a dozen patches to get it to run well, but Bethesda took the time to make those patches and updates for the game, as well as all the DLC expansions. The Wii U is nowhere near as hard to program for as the PS3 was. So I doubt that was the issue at all.

No, it's just because the Wii U isn't powerful enough to run UE4.

If that was the case, Bethesda wouldn't be making their games cross-gen.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Not sure what you mean, Bethesda isn't developing with Unreal Engine 4.

Then what does what you said there even have to do with their decision?

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0
Is there any reason why the Wii U sucks for downloading speed? My Wii U takes forever to download, The Wonderful 101 demo is over 3 hours and 30 minutes to download, my 3DS has very fast download speed compared to anything my Wii U does.

KillerDraco

Is there any reason why the Wii U sucks for downloading speed? My Wii U takes forever to download, The Wonderful 101 demo is over 3 hours and 30 minutes to download, my 3DS has very fast download speed compared to anything my Wii U does.

Dunno what to tell you, W101 only took a couple minutes for me. It's definitely not all Wii U's.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It's definitely circumstantial, as with anything network based. Load was high at the time you were trying to download, so you were downloading slower. Or, you're underestimating the size of a Wii U game/demo vs that of the 3DS. 3DS games and demos are much smaller.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
So I went to GameStop today to get New Super Luigi U and they ran out. The clerk said with any Nintendo stuff recently that they only get as many shipments for about as many preorders they receive. For example, they received 28 preorders for Mario & Luigi Dream Team so they only got 30 copies on release day.

This was surprising for me so I immediately preordered and paid for Pokémon X and Y in full(and got the awesome poster haha). So my question is, have any of you encountered something like this? I was always used to there always being a bunch of copies of anything near me but I guess they're changing things up now. Would this have anything to do with digital sales or rising costs of anything? Or is this most likely me just being clueless and this is how it has been for a while?

Recon

So I went to GameStop today to get New Super Luigi U and they ran out. The clerk said with any Nintendo stuff recently that they only get as many shipments for about as many preorders they receive. For example, they received 28 preorders for Mario & Luigi Dream Team so they only got 30 copies on release day.

This was surprising for me so I immediately preordered and paid for Pokémon X and Y in full(and got the awesome poster haha). So my question is, have any of you encountered something like this? I was always used to there always being a bunch of copies of anything near me but I guess they're changing things up now. Would this have anything to do with digital sales or rising costs of anything? Or is this most likely me just being clueless and this is how it has been for a while?

It was like that with Pokemon Conquest for the store near me. They only had two extra copies. However with big release games, they're more likely to get in a much larger extra shipment.