• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Nintendo brought back Kid Icarus and that was dead for about 20something years, I don't see why they can't do another Colosseum/XD type game, or at least a spiritual sequel. It's not impossible, it's just a matter of whether or not someone wants to do it. And since the circumstances are pretty much perfect for this style of game, I think they will.

Those are two very different situations.

BCVM22

Nintendo brought back Kid Icarus and that was dead for about 20something years, I don't see why they can't do another Colosseum/XD type game, or at least a spiritual sequel. It's not impossible, it's just a matter of whether or not someone wants to do it. And since the circumstances are pretty much perfect for this style of game, I think they will.

Pit as a character and Kid Icarus as a franchise had the benefit of front-and-center appearances in a hugely notable console title and an unabashed patron in Sakurai, who was given free reign to revive and update the series as he saw fit.

Colosseum/XD have none of those.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Pit as a character and Kid Icarus as a franchise had the benefit of front-and-center appearances in a hugely notable console title and an unabashed patron in Sakurai, who was given free reign to revive and update the series as he saw fit.

Colosseum/XD have none of those.

The point is, dead gameplay can be brought back under the right circumstances. Looking at the current state of console Pokemon gaming, X and Y renders the current Stadium/Battle Revolution completely obsolete, the draw in a tournament add on on the big screen is gone when X and Y can do both the 3D graphics and the tournament system. So any future iteration of that series will see less and less appeal and at this point are not worth doing anymore. Add to that the new console has a new communication feature (Miiverse), the very thing that Game Freak cited as the reason they refuse to develop console games, and you have a scenario where it's entirely feasible for Colosseum/XD style gameplay to see a revival.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The point is, dead gameplay can be brought back under the right circumstances. Looking at the current state of console Pokemon gaming, X and Y renders the current Stadium/Battle Revolution completely obsolete, the draw in a tournament add on on the big screen is gone when X and Y can do both the 3D graphics and the tournament system. So any future iteration of that series will see less and less appeal and at this point are not worth doing anymore.

I don't think it was ever just about the 3D graphics. Seeing a battle on a larger screen is much more impressive, not to mention how much better it looks on a console versus a low powered handheld. The console games never really had the same appeal as the main series games in the first place.

Add to that the new console has a new communication feature (Miiverse), the very thing that Game Freak cited as the reason they refuse to develop console games, and you have a scenario where it's entirely feasible for Colosseum/XD style gameplay to see a revival.

Miiverse has nothing to do with anything. GameFreak keeps it on handhelds so you can bring it around with you, so you can interact with people in person, not just over the internet. They like that sort of community.

KillerDraco

I don't think it was ever just about the 3D graphics. Seeing a battle on a larger screen is much more impressive, not to mention how much better it looks on a console versus a low powered handheld. The console games never really had the same appeal as the main series games in the first place.

Well, speaking from personal experience only, I'd say the 3D graphics were always a factor. Keeping in mind that prior to Crystal, all Pokemon games utilized 2D Sprites that weren't even animated, seeing the Pokemon in 3D graphics in Stadium/Stadium 2 was kind of a big deal. Even in Gens 3 and 4, the only animation was a brief, 2-second movement that only happened upon switching in, so it was always a visual upgrade of the grandest kind. Mind you, I wouldn't say it was the only reason for the games' appeal (far from it), but at the same time, it's silly to discount it as a whole.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, speaking from personal experience only, I'd say the 3D graphics were always a factor. Keeping in mind that prior to Crystal, all Pokemon games utilized 2D Sprites that weren't even animated, seeing the Pokemon in 3D graphics in Stadium/Stadium 2 was kind of a big deal. Even in Gens 3 and 4, the only animation was a brief, 2-second movement that only happened upon switching in, so it was always a visual upgrade of the grandest kind. Mind you, I wouldn't say it was the only reason for the games' appeal (far from it), but at the same time, it's silly to discount it as a whole.

No, but just because the X/Y have animated 3D battles doesn't mean that no one wants a console battler. I'm not discounting it as a whole, I'm saying it's not wholly responsible for the game's success.

KillerDraco

No, but just because the X/Y have animated 3D battles doesn't mean that no one wants a console battler. I'm not discounting it as a whole, I'm saying it's not wholly responsible for the game's success.

No one's saying it's wholly responsible but it does play a fairly significant role.

But, at the end of the day considering that Battle Revolution's reception was average at best, I think that at least implies that console battlers need a bit more than just the bare bones 3D battling. So if a console battler game were to come to the Wii U, it would need more than just that, since by today's standards it's no longer enough; the novelty of Stadium/Stadium 2 has worn off, hence the need for things like a strong singleplayer which Colosseum/XD incorporated.

BurningWhiteKyurem

The point is, dead gameplay can be brought back under the right circumstances. Looking at the current state of console Pokemon gaming, X and Y renders the current Stadium/Battle Revolution completely obsolete, the draw in a tournament add on on the big screen is gone when X and Y can do both the 3D graphics and the tournament system. So any future iteration of that series will see less and less appeal and at this point are not worth doing anymore. Add to that the new console has a new communication feature (Miiverse), the very thing that Game Freak cited as the reason they refuse to develop console games, and you have a scenario where it's entirely feasible for Colosseum/XD style gameplay to see a revival.

It's contradictory to acknowledge that Stadium/Battle Revolution is going to be outdone by Pokemon X and Y, and then make the assertion that it's feasible that Colosseum and XD can see a revival. Since X and Y also plays as an RPG, hence making a revival for Colosseum/XD redundant, when the consumer can just pick up a cheaper console and game to get the same experience. The right timing would've been in the Wii era seeing how poorly received Battle Revolution was for being solely a battle simulator rather than a decent RPG like Colosseum/XD, but with the 3DS, advent of 3D Pokemon gaming, there is no more right circumstances for Colosseum/XD to flourish in the Wii U.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Actually a "Stadium" game wouldn't flourish on the Wii U, since their purpose was to display Pokemon in 3D. Which 6th Gen will now do. But Colo/XD were games with an actually storyline. People would be more inclined to buy that a another PBR.

I'm not saying Shadow Pokemon will come back but a 3D Pokemon RPG title for the Wii U isn't wishful thinking.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Visuals were a major part of it, though, since there was a stark contrast between the visuals of the main games and the visuals of Stadium/Stadium 2, making it a lot more exciting to see battles animated much more realistically. At this point, the Wii U doesn't have much to offer visually, the difference between 3DS graphics and Wii U graphics is less noticeable.

Miiverse has nothing to do with anything. GameFreak keeps it on handhelds so you can bring it around with you, so you can interact with people in person, not just over the internet. They like that sort of community.

That kind of community might work in Japan (IDK their culture enough to say on this), but in the west, face to face interaction doesn't really add to the experience. The communication itself is, though, and quite frankly refusing to develop a console Pokemon game on those grounds when online gaming and Miiverse can provide a unique and almost equivalent social experience is a ******** excuse if I ever heard one.

No one's saying it's wholly responsible but it does play a fairly significant role.

But, at the end of the day considering that Battle Revolution's reception was average at best, I think that at least implies that console battlers need a bit more than just the bare bones 3D battling. So if a console battler game were to come to the Wii U, it would need more than just that, since by today's standards it's no longer enough; the novelty of Stadium/Stadium 2 has worn off, hence the need for things like a strong singleplayer which Colosseum/XD incorporated.

Actually a "Stadium" game wouldn't flourish on the Wii U, since their purpose was to display Pokemon in 3D. Which 6th Gen will now do. But Colo/XD were games with an actually storyline. People would be more inclined to buy that a another PBR.

I'm not saying Shadow Pokemon will come back but a 3D Pokemon RPG title for the Wii U isn't wishful thinking.

Exactly my point, thank you. X and Y have essentially incorporated much of the appeal of the console battling games and incorporated them into the main gameplay, exposing the console battlers as being too shallow. The reception from that style of gameplay can only go down from Battle Revolution at this point. So yeah, they can't simply get away with a flashy battling game anymore, they need to step up their game and do something more.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
That kind of community might work in Japan (IDK their culture enough to say on this), but in the west, face to face interaction doesn't really add to the experience. The communication itself is, though, and quite frankly refusing to develop a console Pokemon game on those grounds when online gaming and Miiverse can provide a unique and almost equivalent social experience is a ******** excuse if I ever heard one.

That may be true, but GameFreak definitely has no reason to change their minds now. Pokemon doesn't need help selling and the WiiU will do fine without it in the end.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
That may be true, but GameFreak definitely has no reason to change their minds now. Pokemon doesn't need help selling and the WiiU will do fine without it in the end.

Well yeah, it doesn't need to happen really, but it's disappointing if we don't get some sort of console battling game, and their logic behind having Stadium/Battle Revolution style over Colosseum/XD style doesn't really hold up anymore.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Well yeah, it doesn't need to happen really, but it's disappointing if we don't get some sort of console battling game, and their logic behind having Stadium/Battle Revolution style over Colosseum/XD style doesn't really hold up anymore.

What if the potential game was both? There would be a story mode you'd have to clear out first and then you could transfer Pokémon from your 3DS to your game and battle Stadium style?

Then there could be prizes and stuff you could buy like past console games had. I'd love to have a Pokémon Wii U Stadium style game and could use two gamepads at once. One for each player. Minigames would be nice too...

I'm asking for way too much haha but people would be interested in it at least

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
What if the potential game was both? There would be a story mode you'd have to clear out first and then you could transfer Pokémon from your 3DS to your game and battle Stadium style?

Both Colosseum and XD already had Stadium modes in addition to their story modes where you could do just that.

BurningWhiteKyurem

As I've said before, the thing is X and Y is going to play a lot like Stadium/Battle Revolution through (potentially) Streetpass, and Wi-Fi Battling, then it's also going to play a lot like Colosseum/XD through X and Y's story...so really, both potential revivals are outdated and won't really help slumping Wii U sales when people can just go get a cheaper 3(2)DS and X and Y.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
As I've said before, the thing is X and Y is going to play a lot like Stadium/Battle Revolution through (potentially) Streetpass, and Wi-Fi Battling, then it's also going to play a lot like Colosseum/XD through X and Y's story...so really, both potential revivals are outdated and won't really help slumping Wii U sales when people can just go get a cheaper 3(2)DS and X and Y.

You mistakenly believe that the handheld and console games would be in competition with each other, which would not be the case. The console games are always designed to enhance the main game experience, not necessarily replace it. The best thing they can do for a console Pokemon game is make a game that can benefit from connecting with the 6th gen games, but still be enjoyable by itself. Colosseum/XD were much better at this than Stadium/Battle Revolution.

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
Kotaku's review of Rayman Legends says that Murfy Mode was solely meant for the Wii U version for its touchpad scheme. The other versions are somewhat unresponsive to that mode.

Eww kotaku

Though that makes sense, given it was originally an exlcusive

Last edited: