• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Yeah, with NX coming next year, and Zelda once again being the Swan Song of a Nintendo console, I'd think they'll just all their assets to push their new system and make HD remakes. Maybe some more GC titles will end up on the Shop but I dont expect any more than that.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I think in a few years people will look back on the Wii U and realize how great some of it's games were and it will be revered as an underrated console much like the Gamecube.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think in a few years people will look back on the Wii U and realize how great some of it's games were and it will be revered as an underrated console much like the Gamecube.

I already think that, so I sure hope everyone else realizes too.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
It's like the Dreamcast but worst. I mean, it still can't play DVDs.

Hey man, don't compare the Dreamcast to the Wii U. The Dreamcast actually innovated by having online console gaming. What does the Wii U have, a tablet that they thought were original?

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
'Home console that didn't need to use a TV all the time'? More than four players?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The Dreamcast and Wii U are very different, the Dreamcast's hardware was actually fantastic for the time. Whereas the Wii U was not, at all.

'Home console that didn't need to use a TV all the time'? More than four players?

The not needing a TV thing really isn't that innovative, the purpose of home consoles is to play on the TV, after all. Coupled with the fact that not all games even support the feature. The more than 4 players thing is also a bit of a stretch, so little used it and even ignoring that it's been possible with past consoles as well.

Rio!

Composer

The games aren't really the problem as much as the console itself. At least in my mind. I mean really, a tablet controller? =/

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I know this is a controversial statement, but I have never seen any major problems with the Wii U. It has everything I need from a game console, and the Game Pad, while not used to the fullest potential, was still a nice addition that helped out certain games. I just can't agree with any of the complaints brought up against it.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
I know this is a controversial statement, but I have never seen any major problems with the Wii U. It has everything I need from a game console, and the Game Pad, while not used to the fullest potential, was still a nice addition that helped out certain games. I just can't agree with any of the complaints brought up against it.

All of the this. It wasn't in itself a bad console in my books, it's just that it wasn't particularly stand-out in any real way.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't really have a problem with the Wii U itself, I've enjoyed the games that I got for it as I expected I would. I don't like the GamePad myself, but the main problem is just that the console was doomed to fail from the start, it was way too little way too late. They released a console with the same power as the PS3/360 as those consoles were being phased out with new consoles that were significantly different and Nintendo rediscovered that they can't succeed without third party support.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't really have a problem with the Wii U itself, I've enjoyed the games that I got for it as I expected I would. I don't like the GamePad myself, but the main problem is just that the console was doomed to fail from the start, it was way too little way too late. They released a console with the same power as the PS3/360 as those consoles were being phased out with new consoles that were significantly different and Nintendo rediscovered that they can't succeed without third party support.
I'm not going to contest with any of what you are saying (mainly because I agree with the majority of it), but I did want to say that the Gamepad had some good qualities. While the controller itself was a tad clunky, I did like the some of the potential of a better interface. If they did release a proper Animal Crossing game for the Wii U, for example, they could have used the Gamepad for better interaction, than having to move the Wiimote endlessly to give your villagers something to say, or send mail (which was just too much trouble, especially since City Folk didn't have good villager interactivity). This kind of relates to my next point, that (at least IMO), the Wii had a better line up of Nintendo published games than Wii U mostly. Super Mario 3D World, for example, was a great game for me, but did it beat Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2? Metroid and Animal Crossing didn't get meaningful releases, while other franchises had very little to offer (I would have like a traditional Kirby game for Wii U as Return to Dreamland was very good in its regard).

What's done is done, but I wish the Wii U at least outsold the PS Vita. I don't really hate the system, but Sony pretty much cut out its support.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I understand where the complaint comes form, but I really do feel myself like people blow it out of proportion. Regardless of being a lower powered console, it put out many high quality games, and in the end, it's the quality of the games that matters, not the power of the system.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
Despite the lack of high budget third party games there are still many indie games for the Wii U. And for physical games there are at least a dozen if not 2 dozen physical games worth playing on the Wii U. So there's at least something to play on it. And it was the first time we saw Nintendo series games in HD despite being underpowered. I don't have a Wii U anymore but it was interesting.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not going to contest with any of what you are saying (mainly because I agree with the majority of it), but I did want to say that the Gamepad had some good qualities. While the controller itself was a tad clunky, I did like the some of the potential of a better interface. If they did release a proper Animal Crossing game for the Wii U, for example, they could have used the Gamepad for better interaction, than having to move the Wiimote endlessly to give your villagers something to say, or send mail (which was just too much trouble, especially since City Folk didn't have good villager interactivity). This kind of relates to my next point, that (at least IMO), the Wii had a better line up of Nintendo published games than Wii U mostly. Super Mario 3D World, for example, was a great game for me, but did it beat Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2? Metroid and Animal Crossing didn't get meaningful releases, while other franchises had very little to offer (I would have like a traditional Kirby game for Wii U as Return to Dreamland was very good in its regard).

What's done is done, but I wish the Wii U at least outsold the PS Vita. I don't really hate the system, but Sony pretty much cut out its support.

And we likely would have gotten a lot more first party releases if the console did better, but Nintendo only stood to lose more money by developing more games, they were unlikely to recoup the cost because the install base was so low. That's the biggest shame. Maybe we finally would have gotten that goddamn F-Zero (I know we never will).

Despite the lack of high budget third party games there are still many indie games for the Wii U. And for physical games there are at least a dozen if not 2 dozen physical games worth playing on the Wii U. So there's at least something to play on it. And it was the first time we saw Nintendo series games in HD despite being underpowered. I don't have a Wii U anymore but it was interesting.

The problem with indie games, though, is that almost all of them could be obtained on a better console, often cheaper thanks to more frequent sales. And indie games don't sell consoles.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I'm personally not a fan of Metroid, F-Zero, or Animal Crossing. But if I were a huge fan of those series, I would've at least liked to see HD remakes of Metroid Prime 1-3, F-Zero GX, or Animal Crossing: New Leaf. If they were not going to make new games for those series on Wii U it still would've been nice to see HD remakes rather than have nothing.

BCVM22

The existence of Metroid Prime: Trilogy (however limited the supply) dictates there would have been zero point in an "HD remake" (everyone's new favorite term!) for the Wii U.

There would have been even less point (less than zero?) in an "HD remake" of Animal Crossing: City Folk (what I assume you meant, because New Leaf was the 3DS title), given how meaningless graphics are in that game and that franchise. Maybe if they go in and integrate the Gamepad deeply, but even then, would enough people really buy that to make it worth the effort?

Last edited: