• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
'Home console that didn't need to use a TV all the time'? More than four players?
Like Hydrohs said, these are home consoles. Besides, the Wii U isn't even the first to let you play your console game outside the TV, nor was it the first to let you have more than 4 players at once.

You're buying a console. Not a DVD player. You know that, right?
The Wii U has movie and television streaming apps. Consoles nowadays are basically entertainment devices, which is why for me I feel these streaming boxes like Apple TV or Chromecast are unnecessary. How expensive would a DVD drive have made the Wii U? Probably not even noticeable compared to the Gamepad money sink. Hell, the Wii U discs are a modified type of Blu-Ray discs.

What's done is done, but I wish the Wii U at least outsold the PS Vita. I don't really hate the system, but Sony pretty much cut out its support.
It's been a long time since official Vita hardware sales were revealed, but at least the Wii U outsold the Dreamcast! Yeah, Sony 1st-party isn't supporting the Vita anymore, but 3rd-party support is still going extremely well. At least you don't get months of drought like the Wii U.

I understand where the complaint comes form, but I really do feel myself like people blow it out of proportion. Regardless of being a lower powered console, it put out many high quality games, and in the end, it's the quality of the games that matters, not the power of the system.
PS4 is the ONLY home console so far to be the strongest AND market leader, so obviously the power of the console isn't the deciding factor of a console's success. I'll never buy a Wii U though because of how effing expensive it still is because of the Gamepad, just like how I wont buy a new PS3 to replace my broken one because the CELL is too expensive still.

The existence of Metroid Prime: Trilogy (however limited the supply) dictates there would have been zero point in an "HD remake" (everyone's new favorite term!) for the Wii U.
I think s/he meant HD "Remaster", which wouldn't be a bad idea actually. HD Remake for the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy would be dumb though. Just make a new Prime instead *cough* other than Fed Force *cough*

BCVM22

You can do the semantics dance around the campfire however you'd like. An "HD" any kind of re-doing of Metroid Prime: Trilogy would have been wholly unnecessary, given what that compilation was, specifically. It would have been what it already was, just slightly shinier and prettier.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I still would have bought an HD Prime Tilogy remake. Along with three other people in the world, which would have made it a total flop.

Hell, Metroid on its own is pretty much a flop. That's why we don't get Metroid games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
PS4 is the ONLY home console so far to be the strongest AND market leader, so obviously the power of the console isn't the deciding factor of a console's success. I'll never buy a Wii U though because of how effing expensive it still is because of the Gamepad, just like how I wont buy a new PS3 to replace my broken one because the CELL is too expensive still.

Isn't the Wii U cheaper than both the PS4 and Xbox One?

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam

Yes but not by much. I think for only $50 more you can get an Xbox One or PS4 and Wii U is still $300. Not to mention right now the Xbox One is temporarily $300 the same price as Wii U. I think if they bundled a Pro Controller rather than a Gamepad, it would've cost about $200-250 if not lower. Also while the Wii U is underpowered, the PS4 and Xbox One are even less powerful than PC. I think for $300-400 you can get a PC that's on par if not more powerful than PS4.

Though a console more than $200-250 is personally too much for me. I'd much rather by a new computer, phone, or any other electronic with $300-400.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It would be tough to build an equivalent PC to an Xbox One or PS4 for the same price, mostly just because Microsoft and Sony get their parts much cheaper because they buy them in such large volume, and because of the nature of consoles you can optimize a game much better than a regular PC release. But you wouldn't have to go much higher in price, and then you'd have a machine that's a lot more capable.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
You can do the semantics dance around the campfire however you'd like. An "HD" any kind of re-doing of Metroid Prime: Trilogy would have been wholly unnecessary, given what that compilation was, specifically. It would have been what it already was, just slightly shinier and prettier.
This whole post gave me a good laugh, so thanks. This is exactly what HD Remasters are for. They're totally unnecessary other than to sell you the same game with better graphics. They've always been low investment, high profit.

If I'm not willing to spend $250 on a new PS3, what makes you think I'd spend $300 on a Wii U?

Also while the Wii U is underpowered, the PS4 and Xbox One are even less powerful than PC. I think for $300-400 you can get a PC that's on par if not more powerful than PS4.
And the Wii U is even less powerful than Xbone. And NX is even less powerful than the rumored Neo and Scorpio, so I don't know what you're going for here. Also lol good luck with that.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If I'm not willing to spend $250 on a new PS3, what makes you think I'd spend $300 on a Wii U?

I thought that was a specific complaint about the Wii U, not consoles in general.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
If I'm not willing to spend $250 on a new PS3, what makes you think I'd spend $300 on a Wii U.

That is not a fair comparisons. The PS3 actually has games and is still supported.

You're buying a console. Not a DVD player. You know that, right?

I know both the Xbone and PS4 can play blu-rays. Nintendo can't hind behind "Games only" forever. Times are changing and while I know that DVD/BR had nothing to do with the failure of the Wii U, its not in competing companies best interest to skimp on features that have been around for the last 17ish years.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I think a huge problem with the Wii U's game library is that it lacks variety compared to other systems. I mean the Wii U only has a handful of games from most genres, and some genres have a little to no games on the Wii U. In comparison the Dreamcast while it has a small library, many genres were well represented on it but on the Wii U most genres are not well represented much like the N64 but a lot worse.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I thought that was a specific complaint about the Wii U, not consoles in general.
I did say both the Wii U's Gamepad and PS3's CELL chip are what's preventing huge price drops. The refurbished Wii Us sold on Nintendo's site are $200, and they're basically new Wii Us, but I want an official price drop under $150. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are already 11 and 10 years old respectively, and they're both still $200+. It's insane how expensive they still are.

That is not a fair comparisons. The PS3 actually has games and is still supported.

I know both the Xbone and PS4 can play blu-rays. Nintendo can't hind behind "Games only" forever. Times are changing and while I know that DVD/BR had nothing to do with the failure of the Wii U, its not in competing companies best interest to skimp on features that have been around for the last 17ish years.
Can't believe it's been 16 years since the PS2's introduced console DVD playback. Maybe the NX should have VHS support. No PS has had VHS support so far, so that's something they can market.

I think a huge problem with the Wii U's game library is that it lacks variety compared to other systems. I mean the Wii U only has a handful of games from most genres, and some genres have a little to no games on the Wii U. In comparison the Dreamcast while it has a small library, many genres were well represented on it but on the Wii U most genres are not well represented much like the N64 but a lot worse.
Platformer - Mario
Strategy - Pikmin 3
Creator - Marioker
Racing - MK8
Fighting - Sm4sh
Character action - Bayo2
Musou - HyWar
TPS - Splatoon

As you can see, the variety was there. It's just that there just aren't enough. When people say the Wii U has months of drought, they aren't just words from Nintendo haters. The Wii U's been out for 3 1/2 years, and you only have this much to offer? Obviously I'm missing quite a bit, but even with those included, the droughts still happened. The Dreamcast only lived for like 2 years, and even it had more games that had just as much high quality games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Why is playing DVDs such a big deal? Does no one have a dedicated DVD player? I know that I've never once wished for my Wii U to play DVDs, it's just not necessary to me.

Rio!

Composer
As you can see, the variety was there. It's just that there just aren't enough. When people say the Wii U has months of drought, they aren't just words from Nintendo haters. The Wii U's been out for 3 1/2 years, and you only have this much to offer? Obviously I'm missing quite a bit, but even with those included, the droughts still happened. The Dreamcast only lived for like 2 years, and even it had more games that had just as much high quality games.

Besides awkward tablet implementation, this was another one of the issues I had with the WiiU; there were such long periods of time in-between games. It's a great way to kill whatever hype players have left at that point, lol.

As far as playing discs though, wouldn't the average person have player specifically for that instead if they don't stream already? To be honest of anything, it would seem more beneficial to focus their assets towards the system itself but eh, to each their own. Then too, I'm one of those people that still have a separate CD and MP3 player that I refuse to fully import to a phone.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Why is playing DVDs such a big deal? Does no one have a dedicated DVD player? I know that I've never once wished for my Wii U to play DVDs, it's just not necessary to me.
I think it's because since the other consoles have it, why can't this one too?

At least it have apps like Netflix and Crunchyroll. Which some of Wii U users do with it lol

Spock

Live Long & Prosper

people like the convenience, things break and it's good to have a backup, many well-selling consoles have had this feature since 2000

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
people like the convenience, things break and it's good to have a backup, many well-selling consoles have had this feature since 2000

So if my console breaks, so does my Blu-ray player? Sorry, no. That would be very inconvenient. I don't want an extra physical application tied to the life of my console. I also don't like the thing driving up the cost.

We have Netflix services and the like without the Blu-ray ability. Having the option to purchase those features is better to me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think it's because since the other consoles have it, why can't this one too?

At least it have apps like Netflix and Crunchyroll. Which some of Wii U users do with it lol

I get that it's certainly a plus, but I just don't understand why it's something worth complaining about.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I only skimmed the convo but does anyone even still use dvds? Including one in a console would be as useful as including the ability to access MySpace

Only due to the fact that Classic Doctor Who isn't in HD. Actually, most of my DVD have been on my Shelves for years now. But really I don't watch DVDs and stuff at all. I've never used my PS3 as a Movie player, partly as most of time I'd be happier playing a game than watching a Movie. I used to do it on my PS2, but that was before my I had my own PC that could play DVDs, and that was about 10 years ago. Mind you it was part down to where I had my PS2 and where I could put my laptop back then.

But really, Most of the TV show that I didn't get live or recorded via Sky+/Tivo, has to be BBC iPlayer. Modern Doctor Who, Top Gear most shows in the last week on the BBC.