• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Rio!

Composer
So if my console breaks, so does my Blu-ray player? Sorry, no. That would be very inconvenient. I don't want an extra physical application tied to the life of my console. I also don't like the thing driving up the cost.

We have Netflix services and the like without the Blu-ray ability. Having the option to purchase those features is better to me.

^So much THIS. All those additions do is drive up the price of the final product. It's nice as an afterthought if there's plenty of space, but it isn't necessary.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
^So much THIS. All those additions do is drive up the price of the final product. It's nice as an afterthought if there's plenty of space, but it isn't necessary.

That's why the DVD drive for the Wii and Wii U won't play DVD's unless you hack it in. There's a Fee that that a console maker must pay to play DVD/BluRay video to Sony. Microsoft paid it as their E3 one year was focused on games but TV. Honestly, looking at Wii U's TVii.. Maybe it's a good thing.. That Icon Bugged me for ages as it never worked for me.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
This is why Nintendo is stuck in the past. Because their fans don't demand the best from them as a gaming and media company.

"Who needs DVDs?"

"Account system? You'll never lose your console anyway"

"No one needs voice chat, people only swear on it"

I can't wait until the year 2043 when the PS9 releases and Nintendo might actually have console that can stream games from the cloud or internet like PSnow.

BCVM22

It has nothing to do with what "we" demand from them. If that were the case, by your own logic, we'd have movie playback (which I don't need, personally) because "we" (other people) have been demanding it since the GameCube.

Even better is that for all the complaints about console prices, "up" is where the cost of Nintendo consoles would go for adding DVD/Blu-ray playback because that requires royalties be paid to the consortiums that control the media codecs and that gets passed down into the cost of the console.

There are many problems with Nintendo's consoles being behind the times. The purposeful omission of media playback on their part is not chief among them, if you believe it to be among them at all. For almost solely what that would add to the cost of the console, you can go buy a wonderfully full featured DVD or Blu-ray player these days. It can sit in your entertainment center next to your other stuff and they can all be bros.

And because I know someone is just itching to "well actually" me, I'm not saying there isn't value to an all-in-one device like a PS4 or an Xbox One that can play games and movie discs. I am saying there is value in the intentional omission of the latter functionality to the right consumer in order to save on console costs.

Last edited:

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
It has nothing to do with what "we" demand from them. If that were the case, by your own logic, we'd have movie playback (which I don't need, personally) because "we" (other people) have been demanding it since the GameCube.

Even better is that for all the complaints about console prices, "up" is where the cost of Nintendo consoles would go for adding DVD/Blu-ray playback because that requires royalties be paid to the consortiums that control the media codecs and that gets passed down into the cost of the console.

There are many problems with Nintendo's consoles being behind the times. The purposeful omission of media playback on their part is not chief among them, if you believe it to be among them at all. For almost solely what that would add to the cost of the console, you can go buy a wonderfully full featured DVD or Blu-ray player these days. It can sit in your entertainment center next to your other stuff and they can all be bros.

And because I know someone is just itching to "well actually" me, I'm not saying there isn't value to an all-in-one device like a PS4 or an Xbox One that can play games and movie discs. I am saying there is value in the intentional omission of the latter functionality to the right consumer in order to save on console costs.
The chief thing about disc video playback is really convenience - as it is nowadays with most consoles. The Wii-U not having Blu-Ray isn't why I haven't bought one, but it certainly would be added incentive had it come with one.

You are correct that that's not the reason it wasn't exactly hot-ticket - Nintendo has proven in the the past they don't "need" video playback to move consoles (the Wii of course). It begs the question of what will be so spectacular about the NX to make me want to skip over the inevitably cheaper Wii U when it arrives, when I can already get a backlog of games I do want to play on the console. I really don't have time any more to 100% a game more than half a dozen times a year at best, so the NX better be more of the same if it wants my attention

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Axiom Verge is coming to the Wii U.

We're finally getting a new Metroid game.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Nintendo's big indie announcements are just Sony's sloppy seconds.

Still got a ways to go.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Well, with the NX coming in nine months, they're obviously going to start winding down their current dumpster fire in preparation for the next one.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I think it's weird because the Wii U has a Mario Tennis game but doesn't have a Mario Golf game. IMO it's unusual for a Nintendo system to have just a Mario Tennis game and not have Mario Golf and vice versa because every other system that had Mario Tennis also had Mario Golf except for the Virtual Boy. Both Mario Tennis and Golf are the 2 biggest Mario Sports games, so to me having only a Mario Tennis game and not getting a Golf game and getting mixed reviews is a sign to me that Nintendo was just rushing something out. I'm sure the game is decent but I think other Mario Tennis games are better.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I think it's weird because the Wii U has a Mario Tennis game but doesn't have a Mario Golf game. IMO it's unusual for a Nintendo system to have just a Mario Tennis game and not have Mario Golf and vice versa because every other system that had Mario Tennis also had Mario Golf except for the Virtual Boy. Both Mario Tennis and Golf are the 2 biggest Mario Sports games, so to me having only a Mario Tennis game and not getting a Golf game and getting mixed reviews is a sign to me that Nintendo was just rushing something out. I'm sure the game is decent but I think other Mario Tennis games are better.

That has less to do with Nintendo and more to do with Camelot, who has been declining steadily in quality since the latest Golden Sun.

Last edited:

R_N

everything about mario tennis wii u screams "rushed out the door for the holidays"
It doesn't even have a tournament mode, a ring mode and perhaps most tellingly, it's using nothing but reused, many years old stock art assets. Which is baffling because if nothing else, Mario Party 10 introduced new assets but also they made new stock art for mario tennis. It's like they used some placeholder stuff, but then forgot to actually update them.

I mean, even the princesses are using their old artwork even though they're all in spots attire. Even Mario Tennis Open, which also reused old art, made a point to use the sporty art for peach & daisy

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
It's a shame that several game companies especially japanese ones have been declining in the past few years like Konami and Sega. How the industry has changed.

Pokemon Power

Man, I'm so interested in the Wii U version of M&S at Rio 2016 (everyone has their own opinions), but I can't afford it, and I'm planning to save my money for Christmas gifts for my relatives. And to top it off, I'm still looking for a job.

Vipsoccermaster

Man, I'm so interested in the Wii U version of M&S at Rio 2016 (everyone has their own opinions), but I can't afford it, and I'm planning to save my money for Christmas gifts for my relatives. And to top it off, I'm still looking for a job.
It's possible that the game will be on a special sale for download when the Opening Ceremony takes place on Friday, August 5, 2016.

Pokemon Power

I have a question about data. If I own the retail version of a game and then buy the digital version, will I still be able to play the data I had on the retail version when I start up the digital version?