• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Jb

Tsun in the streets
The total number of Nintendo units sold closely matches the sales reports on Nintendo's IR site.
I can't find an official PS list quite yet, but other sources show very similar numbers.

In not saying it isn't true, in saying lolchartz pull numbers from their ***. The fact that their numbers don't even match up with official Nintendo numbers is telling.

That said I'm pretty sure the wii is 3rd behind the Ds and ps2.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
VGchartz is credible for physical sales only, they don't tally anything digital. Otherwise, they certainly don't pull numbers out of their *** and their numbers match pretty much exactly with what Nintendo is reporting.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
VGchartz is credible for physical sales only, they don't tally anything digital. Otherwise, they certainly don't pull numbers out of their *** and their numbers match pretty much exactly with what Nintendo is reporting.

Unless the Developer, Publisher or Store front owner releases numbers, you can't really work out how many people have it Digitally or Retail for consoles. (With Steam, you can get these numbers as Steam makes them Public.)

I could argue Achievement/Trophy stats help, but for PS3 and PS4 one copy (both Digital and Retail) could be used for several PSN accounts. Plus some retail games are sold on, which could make the "digital" count even Higher, especially for non-digitial games.

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets

Really? They have 3D world at 4.23 Mil while official Nintendo numbers have it at 5.01 mil. That's a pretty big gap.

On all the fourms I've been on, almost no one takes VGchartz numbers seriously. I don't where they get their data from but from what I seen almost no one takes it as valid in a debate.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
In not saying it isn't true, in saying lolchartz pull numbers from their ***. The fact that their numbers don't even match up with official Nintendo numbers is telling.
How would VGChartz have true sales numbers if they made them up? You couldn't get lucky like that 10 different times.

That said I'm pretty sure the wii is 3rd behind the Ds and ps2.
Playing by your assumption that VGChartz is a terrible source, the IR report clearly lists the Game Boy as being higher.

Really? They have 3D world at 4.23 Mil while official Nintendo numbers have it at 5.01 mil. That's a pretty big gap.
Are you sure that the 0.88 million sales difference would be attributed to digital sales? Hydrohs mentioned that digital sales are not counted by them. You either would need to prove that there were more than 4.23 million physical sales that would show a significant margin of error, or prove that Hydrohs' statement is false.

On all the fourms I've been on, almost no one takes VGchartz numbers seriously.
Testimonials at best.

I don't where they get their data from but from what I seen almost no one takes it as valid in a debate.
You don't know where they get their data. You also haven't not proven that a better source nullifies their numbers. The burden of evidence would be on you to show data that I have backed up with the IR report.

Also, this only became a debate when you were telling me that the numbers were fabricated. I originally posted VGChartz as a source to clarify with Nutter that two systems other than DS and PS2 outsold the Wii. This was further backed up by the report, which would be a tall order to disprove. Once again, the burden of evidence is on you.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Nintendo is a better source.

Or Famitsu or Media Create. I don't need to prove they're inaccurate. That Nintendo link did it. I don't wanna totally highjack the thread for this but simply googling VGcharts Inaccurate would bring up tons of examples as to why a lot disregard them.

Also Gameboy is higher because for Whatever reason Nintendo counts them all as the same system. The GBC was totally a different beast. They should treat it that way imo. It looks better since they already own the handheld market.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Nintendo is a better source.

Or Famitsu or Media Create. I don't need to prove they're inaccurate. That Nintendo link did it.
Can you provide something that perhaps I didn't see that shows an inaccuracy that the IR report disproved the site.

I don't wanna totally highjack the thread for this but simply googling VGcharts Inaccurate would bring up tons of examples as to why a lot disregard them.
The main reason I posted the link was to show the Wii in fifth position. More than anything, show something that would prove that the statement is untrue.

Also, I could google "Vaccines cause autism" or "World is 4000 years old". All three of the searches yield two different arguments. I'm not saying that VGChartz potential inaccuracy is on the line of the wacky conspiracies, but it does call into question of what results you can find when you type in a confirmational statement.

Also Gameboy is higher because for Whatever reason Nintendo counts them all as the same system. The GBC was totally a different beast. They should treat it that way imo. It looks better since they already own the handheld market.
That would call more into question of how Gameboy sales figures were handled by the main source Nintendo provided. This doesn't have much to do with VGChartz, but if you find that the case, perhaps you can provide an argument providing sales data from the Gameboy Color compared to the older set of handheld systems.

Maybe the data should be split, but you would have to provide a decent explanation with a decent amount of data.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

On all the fourms I've been on, almost no one takes VGchartz numbers seriously. I don't where they get their data from but from what I seen almost no one takes it as valid in a debate.

Like I said, they don't count digital sales. They're perfectly fine for physical numbers.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Don't know why you folks are arguing about hardware sales. Wikipedia has these magical wonderful things called "sources".

Top hardware so far
#1: PS2
#2: DS
#3: PS1 (Wiki combined OG GB and GBC sales for whatever reason despite being different gens)
#4: Wii
#5: Xbox 360 or PS3, no one knows. Sales for these two haven't been updated in quite a while now although last time they were still neck-to-neck, with X360 edging by 1-2m
#6: X360 or PS3
#7: PSP
#8: GBA
#9: SNES
#10: 3DS

Wiki probably even has software sales, linking sources to publisher reports itself.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I think Only the DS and PS2 out did in sales.. It doesn't help that the PS2's Last game shared the name with a a PS4 Launch Era title, Fifa 2014.

We're going to get Wii game as a Launch Title on the NX.. Just Dance 2017.

Both games could just get a slap of paint to work with things happening over the year and be fine.. Seriously.. These games come out like clockwork.

I'm actually worred about Just Dance 2018.. It may be Wii and NX, but not Wii U!

That would be funny tbh
But yeah Wii U support after October seems pretty dull.

Pokemon Power

I'm not sure which thread this should go in, but what Wii U game would you like to see ported to 3DS? I'd like to see Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.