• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Perhaps it's not being used to its full potential, but with a system being based on that one gimmick, it should of had been pretty damn close.
As I have mentioned with my "three types of Wii games" the Wii is not a one trick pony, and the level of motion control use is highly varied in both use and application.

BCVM22

It's a pretty reasonable assumption that the majority of video game players, Wii or otherwise prefer stationary controls as opposed to motion based. If only for familiarly.

No it isn't.

There's plenty more than that. Such as swipes and rotations not registering.

Often alleviated by the increased motion sensitivity of the Plus, among other things.

Lack of good camera control on most games.

Which has nothing to do with the motion control.

Hell, they had to released the Plus just to make some of that bearable.

Uh, no. No, that's not what they "had to released" [sic] the Plus. They released the Plus because it greatly increased the sensitivity of the motion control to a degree, at costs and with components that weren't feasible at launch. They weren't scrambling to do it (it took three years) and it certainly didn't have anything to do with "camera control".

Jb

Tsun in the streets
No it isn't.
Only if you're a robot.
Often alleviated by the increased motion sensitivity of the Plus, among other things.
Which still didn't totally correct the problem.
Which has nothing to do with the motion control.
But of the Wiimote itself which is a direct result of motion control.

Uh, no. No, that's not what they "had to released" [sic] the Plus. They released the Plus because it greatly increased the sensitivity of the motion control to a degree, at costs and with components that weren't feasible at launch.
I'm pretty sure a capable Wiimote could have been released at launch.

Either way, if motion control was so great and mighty as you say and most of people preferred that, then I am sure Nintendo wouldn't have released multiple versions of the Classic Controller to the public. You've said multiple times that video game companies don't aim to please the minority. Nintendo clearly saw there was a significant amount of people that would purchase the CC as a alternate form of controlling the game.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Only if you're a robot.

I love motion controls better than stationary, does that make me a robot?

Either way, if motion control was so great and mighty as you say and most of people preferred that, then I am sure Nintendo wouldn't have released multiple versions of the Classic Controller to the public. You've said multiple times that video game companies don't aim to please the minority. Nintendo clearly saw there was a significant amount of people that would purchase the CC as a alternate form of controlling the game.

Uhhh.. The classic controller was released so people could play VC games (which do not support the Wiimote) and GC games. Simple as that.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
It doesnt matter what you say JB BVCM22 is going to explain to you explicitly why you're argument is largely invalid till he turns purple like a swampert.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It doesnt matter what you say JB BVCM22 is going to explain to you explicitly why you're argument is largely invalid till he turns purple like a swampert.
Well, you know what happens when somebody brings a largely incorrect and biased testimonial.

Anyways, we have the Wii U, which has its own capabilities. It will still have Wiimote support, and as Miyamoto says, chucking Pikmin with the Wiimote is a lot of fun.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
But it doesnt support Wii Remote pluses, now please tell me whats up with that...

The control scheme on this console is so convoluted its ridiculous

Last edited:

Zibdas

not bad
If this is true, then saying opposite would be largely incorrect and biased as well.

I thought the opposite of bias and opinion was fact.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Possibly.

Just about every VC game could be modified to use the Wii Remote. As for GC games, look at Metroid Prime trilogy.

The VC games I have downloaded do not work with the WiiMote. Gamecube game that's in the Wii at the moment: Super Mario Sunshine.

Since I'm being accused of being a robot, imagine that phrase in robot speak :D

BCVM22

That's inaccurate. Of course the Wii U supports Remote Plus controllers. Some games, like Nintendoland, outright require them for some gameplay.

No idea what the poster in question is saying.

Aegon

That's inaccurate. Of course the Wii U supports Remote Plus controllers. Some games, like Nintendoland, outright require them for some gameplay.

No idea what the poster in question is saying.
Thought so. After all, Nintendo are currently selling repackaged Wii Remote Plus controllers in boxes that display the Wii U logo.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
There are a few games on the Wii U that require Wii motes, but they do not function with with wii mote pluses apparently. Its very weird

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
Well that wan't what I was saying. Doesn't matter anyway since the Wii U's main focus isn't motion control and they a dedicated traditional controller.

That's precisely what you said.

Just about every VC game could be modified to use the Wii Remote. As for GC games, look at Metroid Prime trilogy.

How the hell would most of the SNES and N64 games be modified to use the Wii Remote when it doesn't have enough buttons, even if you equip the Nunchuk?

Besides, the fact they adapted a handful of GCN games to be played with motion control on the Wii doesn't do anything to change the fact it's unusable for the vast majority.

There are a few games on the Wii U that require Wii motes, but they do not function with with wii mote pluses apparently. Its very weird

Do you have a source for that? I have not heard of any games on the WiiU not supporting Motion Plus. It's bizarre given how, as BCVM22 has stated, some of the games in NintendoLand explicitly require Motion Plus.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
That's precisely what you said.
No, it wasn't. I said VC games could have been modded to use the Wiimote. As in, if Nintendo wanted, they could incorporate a Wiimote control scheme the same way they did with Metroid Prime 1/2.

How the hell would most of the SNES and games be modified to use the Wii Remote when it doesn't have enough buttons, even if you equip the Nunchuk?
What? Nunchuck has a analog stick, C, Z. Wiimote has D-pad, A, B, 1, 2, +, and -. That's 8 input methods assuming that + and - would be used as Start and Select and D-pad as a whole. SNES only uses 7 with the D-pad as a whole. Most N64 games don't even use both sides of the controller. So that's 9 buttons counting the Analog to the right(most common control scheme). The N64 lacks a Select button so take a + or - button and add it to the Wiimote, bringing it up 9.

Besides, the fact they adapted a handful of GCN games to be played with motion control on the Wii doesn't do anything to change the fact it's unusable for the vast majority.
Eh, fair enough for this.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
No, it wasn't. I said VC games could have been modded to use the Wiimote. As in, if Nintendo wanted, they could incorporate a Wiimote control scheme the same way they did with Metroid Prime 1/2.

... Except then they're not virtual console titles, and they have to be completely redesigned.

What? Nunchuck has a analog stick, C, Z. Wiimote has D-pad, A, B, 1, 2, +, and -. That's 8 input methods assuming that + and - would be used as Start and Select and D-pad as a whole. SNES only uses 7 with the D-pad as a whole. Most N64 games don't even use both sides of the controller. So that's 9 buttons counting the Analog to the right(most common control scheme). The N64 lacks a Select button so take a + or - button and add it to the Wiimote, bringing it up 9.

You can't just throw button assignments around, it does still need to make sense. The SNES for example, try playing a SNES game with a Wiimote + Nunchuk, good luck using the DPad, face buttons and then shoulder buttons comfortably. It just doesn't work.