• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Yeah, compared to its competitors, Nintendo has a pretty darn low failure rate, even at launch. I certainly don't recall hearing of any major problems with the Wii launch, and I (and no one I know) have never had any issue with them, ever, so you can probably categorize yourself as knowing a lot of unlucky people. Shiro to Kuro, I understand and mostly agree with everything you're saying about why you're not going to buy a Wii U anytime soon - what I don't understand is why you're saying it, as everything you've mentioned can be attributed to every console launch ever, or are based on your bizarre personal opinions (Nintendo doesn't have a diverse selection of games? What?).

Grim Heaper said:
The possibility of a Wii U price drop is like the possibility of us dying on the 21st, slim to none.

I hope you mean "anytime soon", but it almost sounds as if you think the price will never go down, which is ludicrous. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a drop next holiday season if the PS4 and/or new Xbox are out (granted, I don't think it's terribly likely even then, but you never know).

sceptile33

Any kinks that are bound to be found with the system. The Wii had problems when it was released. I mentioned earlier the rather large failure rate of the launch Wii system. Alex and I had a number of friends whose launch Wii systems broke. Whose to say that won't happen with the launch Wii U?

Do you get this idea that the Wii had a high failure rate simply from the small sample size of your friends? Because, as far as I know, the Wii had a lower failure rate than both the PS3 (YLOD) and, of course, the 360 (RROD). Gamestop says the same. If you can show me a more credible source that says otherwise, besides what happened to your friends, please show me.

woot21

super noob
I mentioned earlier the rather large failure rate of the launch Wii system.
This is the second or third time you have mentioned this. What is your source on this? Anecdotal evidence doesn't count. The only thing I can find about any kind of issues with Wii systems from launch is people braining each other and chucking their Wiimotes into their TVs.

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
This is the second or third time you have mentioned this. What is your source on this? Anecdotal evidence doesn't count. The only thing I can find about any kind of issues with Wii systems from launch is people braining each other and chucking their Wiimotes into their TVs.

And even that is just natural selection.

BCVM22

No they haven't. Remote wrist straps have just been thickened and the GamePad is just harder to throw accidentally.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Do you get this idea that the Wii had a high failure rate simply from the small sample size of your friends? Because, as far as I know, the Wii had a lower failure rate than both the PS3 (YLOD) and, of course, the 360 (RROD). Gamestop says the same. If you can show me a more credible source that says otherwise, besides what happened to your friends, please show me.

Only 23.7% for Xbox? HA! Original models are at over 50% at this point.

its too expensive D: if it wasn't too expensive i would buy it, get super mario for the wii u and become the platform god >:D

Recon

its too expensive D: if it wasn't too expensive i would buy it, get super mario for the wii u and become the platform god >:D

...you really think you can become a platform god by playing just Super Mario Bros U? That's arrogance at it's finest right there.

Dreamcast

I find the amount of nintendo fan boys in here going after Shiro hilarious. Offer one negative opinion on the Wii U and they come swarming like a pack of twilight fan girls. The bottom line is the Wii U isn't good enough. Why would anyone spend money on a slightly improved Wii when they could save their cash for PS4 or the new xbox. The fact that Nintendo still refuses to get with the program and have a DVD player is ridiculous. No college student or anyone for that matter wants to carry around both their game console and an individual dvd player. I'm not even talking about Blu-Ray here. Also, the Zelda and Mario titles are getting milked to death.

This whole pseudo-ipad strategy from Nintendo is going to go down as one of the biggest failures in console history. Nintendo got spooked. Instead of sitting on a great system like the Wii until they could develop something revolutionary they decided to give us an overpriced Wii that comes with a different controller.

GalactaRay

I find the amount of nintendo fan boys in here going after Shiro hilarious. Offer one negative opinion on the Wii U and they come swarming like a pack of twilight fan girls. The bottom line is the Wii U isn't good enough. Why would anyone spend money on a slightly improved Wii when they could save their cash for PS4 or the new xbox. The fact that Nintendo still refuses to get with the program and have a DVD player is ridiculous. No college student or anyone for that matter wants to carry around both their game console and an individual dvd player. I'm not even talking about Blu-Ray here. Also, the Zelda and Mario titles are getting milked to death.

This whole pseudo-ipad strategy from Nintendo is going to go down as one of the biggest failures in console history. Nintendo got spooked. Instead of sitting on a great system like the Wii until they could develop something revolutionary they decided to give us an overpriced Wii that comes with a different controller.
I get your point with WII U being a slightly better wii. Zelda still has stuff that a new and fresh where else Mario has to follow the concept ofnjuing on goomba and defeating bowser all the time. The 3DS had the same case with slighly better graphics but in the end everyone bought it because of the remakes and cool games.
Ipads, iphones and all those other stuff are destory the video game market for good. Smart phones can do about everything better but thats not the point. Nintendo took what was popular, which was the Ipad and then made it into a gaming console.
The Wii U doesn't have a DVD or Blue-Ray player because it is not a Dvd/Blue-Ray company whereelse both Sony and Microsoft make DVD player and other electronics stuff.

Canto

...you really think you can become a platform god by playing just Super Mario Bros U? That's arrogance at it's finest right there.

I think he was talking about the mode in NSMBU where the player with the Gamepad can create platforms for the other players to use.

Zibdas

not bad
I find the amount of nintendo fan boys in here going after Shiro hilarious. Offer one negative opinion on the Wii U and they come swarming like a pack of twilight fan girls. The bottom line is the Wii U isn't good enough.
We don't swarm after opinions; we swarm after stupidity.

Why would anyone spend money on a slightly improved Wii when they could save their cash for PS4 or the new xbox.
Speak of the devil.
The fact that Nintendo still refuses to get with the program and have a DVD player is ridiculous.
If you think a little, it makes sense. They don't make DVD players, unlike Microsoft and Sony.

No college student or anyone for that matter wants to carry around both their game console and an individual dvd player.
Who carries aorund stuff like that anyway? There's a reason why it's a home console.

Also, the Zelda and Mario titles are getting milked to death.
Mario, I can understand, but Zelda? Also, this coming from a person who supports Xbox and Playstation is absolutely mind-boggling hilarious.

This whole pseudo-ipad strategy from Nintendo is going to go down as one of the biggest failures in console history.
source plz

Nintendo got spooked. Instead of sitting on a great system like the Wii until they could develop something revolutionary they decided to give us an overpriced Wii that comes with a different controller.
Completely. Come to think of it, isn't that the Ps3 as well? Launch price of $600, they couldn't even give us a new controller. OH, BUT IT HAS BLU-RAY!

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I get your point with WII U being a slightly better wii. Zelda still has stuff that a new and fresh where else Mario has to follow the concept ofnjuing on goomba and defeating bowser all the time. The 3DS had the same case with slighly better graphics but in the end everyone bought it because of the remakes and cool games.
Ipads, iphones and all those other stuff are destory the video game market for good. Smart phones can do about everything better but thats not the point. Nintendo took what was popular, which was the Ipad and then made it into a gaming console.
The Wii U doesn't have a DVD or Blue-Ray player because it is not a Dvd/Blue-Ray company whereelse both Sony and Microsoft make DVD player and other electronics stuff.

If you think smartphones/tablets whatever is any threat to the video game market, you are mistaken.

Any, I'm not sure why Nintendo won't add a DVD player. It's not a big problem, but most people would expect current systems to have one. I do agree that the Wii U doesn't feel like a big upgrade from the Wii. Atleast compared to the Xbox vs the 360 or PS2 vs PS3. Hell even the Vita and 3DS felt like bigger upgrades from their previous versions.

The Wii to Wii U transition is best described as DS to DSi with more graphic power.

Completely. Come to think of it, isn't that the Ps3 as well? Launch price of $600, they couldn't even give us a new controller. OH, BUT IT HAS BLU-RAY!

The difference is, when the PS3 was released. Blu-ray players cost more than the whole system.

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
The difference is, when the PS3 was released. Blu-ray players cost more than the whole system.

Here's the thing: I'd take a dedicated video game system over one with a mandatory overpriced movie player any day. Apparently many people like paying for additional nonsense like that, but I'm not one of them. It isn't as if it's free to add DVD/Blu-Ray capabilities to a device.

Maybe people are being too defensive about Nintendo, but others are just stretching and finding ridiculous reasons to complain about a video game product line.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Any, I'm not sure why Nintendo won't add a DVD player.

Because it's a useless feature that would have bump the price of the Wii U up.

It's not a big problem, but most people would expect current systems to have one.

I am sure that "most people" have already got access to 1 DVD player,if not more, so they would be fine in that department.

Nintendo did the right thing by not adding a DVD player to it.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I find the amount of nintendo fan boys in here going after Shiro hilarious.

Did you ever think that it was just people with at least half a brain? The WiiU is far from perfect, but there are people, yourself included, hating on it just because you can.

The bottom line is the Wii U isn't good enough. Why would anyone spend money on a slightly improved Wii when they could save their cash for PS4 or the new xbox.

Besides the fact that the WiiU is not a slightly improved Wii, it's the same step up that the PS2>PS3 or Xbox>Xbox 360 was, there are games on each system that can only be obtained for that system. If you want to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. then you need Nintendo's console. Halo, Gears of War, Microsoft's and Sly Cooper, God of War, Little Big Planet, Sony's. There will always be exclusives.

The fact that Nintendo still refuses to get with the program and have a DVD player is ridiculous. No college student or anyone for that matter wants to carry around both their game console and an individual dvd player.

No college student does that... who even watches DVDs any more?

Also, the Zelda and Mario titles are getting milked to death.

No. Call of Duty is getting milked to death, maybe even Mario to an extent, but certainly not Zelda.

If that's how you feel then what are the 360 and PS3? An pverpriced Xbox and Ps2, except with the same controller.

I do agree that the Wii U doesn't feel like a big upgrade from the Wii. Atleast compared to the Xbox vs the 360 or PS2 vs PS3. Hell even the Vita and 3DS felt like bigger upgrades from their previous versions.

The Wii to Wii U transition is best described as DS to DSi with more graphic power.

It's not like that at all, it's got the same stuff on offer that every other transition you mentioned does.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
It's not like that at all, it's got the same stuff on offer that every other transition you mentioned does.

Not really, or lacks in execution. The apps on the Wii U are terrible. The online play still isn't as good as the 360. I mean, there's still time to make things better but I'm almost positive that at lauch, or a week or so within, the 720/PS4 will feel like more of step into next gen.