• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Not really, or lacks in execution. The apps on the Wii U are terrible. The online play still isn't as good as the 360. I mean, there's still time to make things better but I'm almost positive that at lauch, or a week or so within, the 720/PS4 will feel like more of step into next gen.

Of course, the Wii U isn't technically next-gen. It's next-gen for Nintendo, but it's equal to what Sony and Microsoft have got now. It's a huge improvement over the Wii, just like the PS3 is a huge improvement over the PS2 and the 360 a huge improvement over the Xbox.

lindsy95

FC: 4428-2451-8791
I generally don't watch DVDs...
I just stream stuff :T

Granted, I don't watch TV/movies much at all anymore.

...and don't most laptops play DVDs?

Last edited:

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
I find the amount of nintendo fan boys in here going after Shiro hilarious. Offer one negative opinion on the Wii U and they come swarming like a pack of twilight fan girls.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't taking issue with her opinion; I was taking issue with how the opinion was formulated.

No college student does that... who even watches DVDs any more?

That's silly. I get the point you're trying to make with regards to Netflix, Hulu, etc., but it's as dumb as saying, "We have Kindle, who even reads books anymore?"

Icay4321

And with laptops in mind, shall we pretend like piracy is non-existent?

Recon

Now that I think about it, I barely even use my TV except for playing videogames. I get my news from online sources, watch old shows with Netflix, play DVD movies with my computer, looking at it now, there's no real reason for me to get a DVD player for that matter.

Don't forget piracy, everyone loves dem pirates.

Also, I do admit I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but that doesn't mean I go ballistic over a negative Nintendo opinion, it was how the opinion was formulated I have a problem with.

Last edited:

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
That's silly. I get the point you're trying to make with regards to Netflix, Hulu, etc., but it's as dumb as saying, "We have Kindle, who even reads books anymore?"

No it isn't.

Watching a movie or tv show is much quicker, cheaper and faster than buying a DVD, plus the person can just go to Netflix without even having to get up and move to put the DVD in the DVD player or leave the house.

but it's as dumb as saying, "We have Kindle, who even reads books anymore?"

No it isn't.

People are buying less physical books and are opting to download them since it's cheaper, quicker and allows them to carry more.

The printing medium is slowly dying.

Recon

As established recently with the final issue of NP.

"Video killed the radio star." meet "Internet killed almost everything else"

Shiro to Kuro

Aspiring Author
We don't swarm after opinions; we swarm after stupidity.

No, you were swarming my opinion. I'm not stupid. I've played a number of different games from Nintendo and Sony both, and I have formed an opinion based on my knowledge of my experience with both Nintendo and Sony consoles and games. So, from my experience, my level of satisfaction, and what I know about the Wii and Wii U systems from what I have heard, read, and done, I do not believe that the Wii U is worth the price that we will pay for it.

Think about it. Nintendo is just now getting HD graphics while Sony and Microsoft already went there with the PS3 and 360. The graphics are about as good as that of the PS3, which is unimpressive and disappointing. I mean, I don't play games for graphics, but I do enjoy being actually impressed with a console that I may consider buying once my funds will allow me, and games that are up my alley are out.

The impressive thing about the Wii with the motion controls? Only a few games even bothered to use that to its full potential. The impressive touch pad feature of the DS systems? A lot of the games I played that utilized that you could play just as easily without it. Come on, Nintendo.

Now here we are with a tablet controller that you can't even buy a second one of that probably won't even be used to its full potential. Since Nintendo likes to do that.

I do not have a lack of knowledge or experience with these systems that I keep talking about. I am, as of right now, fairly certain that PS4 is going to blow the Wii U out of the water. The graphics will be better, for certain, and the library will undoubtedly be more expansive. Especially for a hardcore gamer. I don't want to play just little kid games, or games that are solely oriented towards people that only play video games every other Friday.

I am, frankly, sick of Nintendo just sticking to games that, literally, everyone can play. They're too easy. They're dull. There's nothing to them.

Now, don't get on my ***. I get that the Nintendo has Zelda and Metroid. Alright, fine. Those are actual games, and they're fun. But most of these other games they release? Seriously. I want a challenge. I want to have to really try to beat the game.

You know what games I'm looking forward to? Monster Hunter 4 and Phantasy Star Online 2. Monster Hunter being one of the only hardcore titles to grace Nintendo systems, and I don't even need a Wii U for it. I've got my 3DS ready for when they - hopefully - release it in America. As for PSO2, my boyfriend and I will gladly go buy two PlayStation VITAs if it's released here.

I just hope the new Zelda title will be good enough to make me willing to spend the money on the Wii U when it comes out.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
No, you were swarming my opinion. I'm not stupid. I've played a number of different games from Nintendo and Sony both, and I have formed an opinion based on my knowledge of my experience with both Nintendo and Sony consoles and games. So, from my experience, my level of satisfaction, and what I know about the Wii and Wii U systems from what I have heard, read, and done, I do not believe that the Wii U is worth the price that we will pay for it.

Think about it. Nintendo is just now getting HD graphics while Sony and Microsoft already went there with the PS3 and 360. The graphics are about as good as that of the PS3, which is unimpressive and disappointing. I mean, I don't play games for graphics, but I do enjoy being actually impressed with a console that I may consider buying once my funds will allow me, and games that are up my alley are out.

The impressive thing about the Wii with the motion controls? Only a few games even bothered to use that to its full potential. The impressive touch pad feature of the DS systems? A lot of the games I played that utilized that you could play just as easily without it. Come on, Nintendo.

Now here we are with a tablet controller that you can't even buy a second one of that probably won't even be used to its full potential. Since Nintendo likes to do that.

I do not have a lack of knowledge or experience with these systems that I keep talking about. I am, as of right now, fairly certain that PS4 is going to blow the Wii U out of the water. The graphics will be better, for certain, and the library will undoubtedly be more expansive. Especially for a hardcore gamer. I don't want to play just little kid games, or games that are solely oriented towards people that only play video games every other Friday.

I am, frankly, sick of Nintendo just sticking to games that, literally, everyone can play. They're too easy. They're dull. There's nothing to them.

Now, don't get on my ***. I get that the Nintendo has Zelda and Metroid. Alright, fine. Those are actual games, and they're fun. But most of these other games they release? Seriously. I want a challenge. I want to have to really try to beat the game.

You know what games I'm looking forward to? Monster Hunter 4 and Phantasy Star Online 2. Monster Hunter being one of the only hardcore titles to grace Nintendo systems, and I don't even need a Wii U for it. I've got my 3DS ready for when they - hopefully - release it in America. As for PSO2, my boyfriend and I will gladly go buy two PlayStation VITAs if it's released here.

I just hope the new Zelda title will be good enough to make me willing to spend the money on the Wii U when it comes out.

The graphics aren't impressive because they're the same as another system, when you're clearly impressed with the PS3's graphics?

You've stated that you don't like the current LAUNCH titles for the Wii U, but now you're saying that the PS4's title library will be expansive? I don't understand what you're saying here.

Again I stress, there are many games already out for the Wii U that are not just casual games, such as ZombiU, Darksiders 2, Tekken or Black Ops 2, for example.

No, you were swarming my opinion. I'm not stupid.

No, we were swarming the extremely weak basis for your opinion, which was pretty stupid.

woot21

super noob
The graphics are about as good as that of the PS3, which is unimpressive and disappointing.
With the developers not fully 100% sure of how to get the most out of the tech yet. The Wii U's graphics will actually improve down the line most likely, where as the other consoles have most likely peaked, with Halo 4 (best looking game I've played in terms of graphics).

Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Prime 3, Skyward Sword, Epic Mickey, all games that off the top of my head that made good use of Wiimote/motion controls. As for the DS, I don't have a lot of games, but for Chrono Trigger, I prefer the battle menus in it, as opposed to the ones in the original. Makes it a lot easier to control, since the battles happen in real time.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

It's not the same, at least not yet. Ebooks are still relatively new, not nearly as highly adopted as streaming services, and other means of watching moves using the internet.

Shiro to Kuro

Aspiring Author
With the developers not fully 100% sure of how to get the most out of the tech yet. The Wii U's graphics will actually improve down the line most likely, where as the other consoles have most likely peaked, with Halo 4 (best looking game I've played in terms of graphics).
Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Prime 3, Skyward Sword, Epic Mickey, all games that off the top of my head that made good use of Wiimote/motion controls. As for the DS, I don't have a lot of games, but for Chrono Trigger, I prefer the battle menus in it, as opposed to the ones in the original. Makes it a lot easier to control, since the battles happen in real time.

And I've played those games on the Wii. I just think that a disappointing amount of games utilized the wii motion controls. You only listed a handful of games.

Oh, and, the Metroid game barely uses the motion controls. I saw my boyfriend play it. Most of the game involved him, well, not swinging or aiming the wii mote. So, I'm convinced that that game doesn't even count. If you don't need to be moving or aiming the wii mote for over 90% of the game, then it may as well be useless. Come on. It's more than obvious that they just put in the motion control in some of the games just because it was there. It wasn't needed, and it didn't add to the game play.

Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort were just to demonstrate what the motion controls were capable was in a game form. They weren't cleaver. They're fun, but they're hardly games.

I don't even know the extent of motion controls in Epic Mickey, but if it's anything like Metroid, then they clearly weren't necessary, and not enough to convince me that Nintendo actually cares about using the motion controls.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are the only games that I've seen that do anything worth it with the motion controls that aren't Wii Sports.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
If you don't need to be moving or aiming the wii mote for over 90% of the game, then it may as well be useless.

You do realize you need to have it pointed at the screen to aim, right? And aiming is a very important thing in games where you shoot a lot, if you didn't know.

Shiro to Kuro

Aspiring Author
You do realize you need to have it pointed at the screen to aim, right? And aiming is a very important thing in games where you shoot a lot, if you didn't know.

Yes, I know, but I didn't see my boyfriend doing that often in Metroid, and with a fair number of games where you need to aim you barely have to move your hand. How unimpressive is that?

BCVM22

The hell?

Metroid is a shooter game. The game is based around aiming. How could you have not seen him aiming "often"? This isn't a matter of differing opinions - this is you claiming you watched someone play a shooting game with an IR-based controller but didn't see them actually aiming. It's a little like saying you watched someone play baseball but never saw them field or bat or anything. What was he doing the whole time, then?

And who the hell cares how much you have to move your hand? Guess what? Most of the action is going to be centered in or near the center of the screen. The object isn't to make you blanket the screen in cannon fire 90% of the time.

Last edited:

woot21

super noob
And I've played those games on the Wii. I just think that a disappointing amount of games utilized the wii motion controls. You only listed a handful of games.
Based only on what I could think of off the top of my head and what I have played. I'm sure I could find a lot more examples if I actually cared to look into it. In fact, two games just came to mind Red Steel and Red Steel 2.

Oh, and, the Metroid game barely uses the motion controls. I saw my boyfriend play it. Most of the game involved him, well, not swinging or aiming the wii mote. So, I'm convinced that that game doesn't even count. If you don't need to be moving or aiming the wii mote for over 90% of the game, then it may as well be useless. Come on. It's more than obvious that they just put in the motion control in some of the games just because it was there. It wasn't needed, and it didn't add to the game play.
The motion controls made control much more fluid and easier. Being able to aim by pointing instead of moving a control stick around makes so much more sense. In this case, and with Epic Mickey, I'm talking about motion controls making the game a better play, which is a pretty big deal.

Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort were just to demonstrate what the motion controls were capable was in a game form. They weren't cleaver. They're fun, but they're hardly games.
They still make good use of motion controls.

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
No it isn't.

Watching a movie or tv show is much quicker, cheaper and faster than buying a DVD, plus the person can just go to Netflix without even having to get up and move to put the DVD in the DVD player or leave the house.

I understand the convenience of streaming services. I just think it's nonsensical to suggest people hardly watch DVDs anymore when physical media is still being widely bought and used.

No it isn't.

People are buying less physical books and are opting to download them since it's cheaper, quicker and allows them to carry more.

Unfrotunately, you are somewhat right. However, book snobbery is much more rampant and you will get many people (myself included) who will never embrace electronic books. Trust me, there are entire communities of us.

You can't smell an ebook.

It's not the same, at least not yet. Ebooks are still relatively new, not nearly as highly adopted as streaming services, and other means of watching moves using the internet.

The basic message remains. To imply DVDs are a dead medium is a fallacy.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh, and, the Metroid game barely uses the motion controls. I saw my boyfriend play it. Most of the game involved him, well, not swinging or aiming the wii mote. So, I'm convinced that that game doesn't even count.

Yes, I know, but I didn't see my boyfriend doing that often in Metroid, and with a fair number of games where you need to aim you barely have to move your hand. How unimpressive is that?

He wasn't playing Metroid. At least, not Prime 3 or Prime Trilogy.

Not to mention, who cares if it uses motion control or not? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Some things just don't fit well or work with motion control.

The basic message remains. To imply DVDs are a dead medium is a fallacy.

DVDs are dead, we have Bluray now.