• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Wii U Discussion Thread

dman_dustin

You can always play with people online, you don't always have someone close to you to play with.

This is especially true for handheld devices.
-

I'm curious to see if anyone else is like me, in regards to buying games.

I don't have a Wii U because I can't afford it, but there are all these great games, I would like to play. In the event I do ever get a Wii U, and pick a random game that exists then and there, in the future, however if I get money to buy Wii U games, I'll be more focused on buying the newest and latest games that pique my interest. Unfortunately leaving the other games I wanted to play that were released much earlier at the store.

Are any of you like this, or do you actually get the games you wanted to play and work your way to newest and latest games?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Are you talking about how the Wii U doesn't have a strong library of games yet?

I was talking about that awhile ago.

Online multiplayer is not always like this. A big part of online multiplayer is being able to play with friends who may not live just down the street from you. While I'm definitely a fan of local multiplayer, if I had to pick one of the two I'd rather have online multiplayer. You can always play with people online, you don't always have someone close to you to play with.

Online multiplayer can be alright, but it's situational. I prefer to be able to play against people that don't constantly drop f-bombs or play obnoxiously loud music in the background (reference Call of Duty and Battlefield). If I know the people in real life, then that doesn't tend to happen. That's why I never do online multiplayer, unless I can make it invite-only. Happily, invite-only is starting to become an option for alot of games.

Last edited:

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
This is especially true for handheld devices.
-

I'm curious to see if anyone else is like me, in regards to buying games.

I don't have a Wii U because I can't afford it, but there are all these great games, I would like to play. In the event I do ever get a Wii U, and pick a random game that exists then and there, in the future, however if I get money to buy Wii U games, I'll be more focused on buying the newest and latest games that pique my interest. Unfortunately leaving the other games I wanted to play that were released much earlier at the store.

Are any of you like this, or do you actually get the games you wanted to play and work your way to newest and latest games?

Well to me it depends on the games that I want to play more and not how new or old they are. It also depends how much money I have saved up haha. Like Pokémon X and Y are an absolute first day buy, while I may get Pikmin 3 or W101 a bit later, but then again I also want NSLU and SM3DW. WW and DKCTF are tempting buys too

I'm a mess...a job could help buy all these games haha

SBaby

Dungeon Master
So yeah. A major retailer in the UK is no longer going to carry the Wii U console. The explanation of why is in the article itself, as well as Nintendo's reaction to it (which is also interesting). Most of you probably don't know who this company is, but I guarantee that Serebii Joe knows who they are.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/uks-second-biggest-supermarket-stops-stocking-wii-u-6412164

Now to be fair, this isn't necessarily all bad news. It is still going to be available in their online store. It just isn't going to be in their physical stores anymore (at least not right now). And they did sell out of the Wii U consoles that they did have in stock, though after they went on clearance. However, this does illustrate the fact that retailers aren't going to wait forever for a product to become successful. They want to make money. And if they're not making money on a product, they're not going to have it in their stores.

Now this might change when the new games come out. But right now, things could definitely be looking better for the console.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
However, this does illustrate the fact that retailers aren't going to wait forever for a product to become successful. They want to make money. And if they're not making money on a product, they're not going to have it in their stores.

Now this might change when the new games come out. But right now, things could definitely be looking better for the console.
The Wii U already had spurts of success. Besides, if we applied that logic, should we exclude nearly all consoles for not becoming immediate successes? I'm looking at you PS3, and I want to play more Sonic Generations.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
However, this does illustrate the fact that retailers aren't going to wait forever for a product to become successful. They want to make money. And if they're not making money on a product, they're not going to have it in their stores.

Retail stores don't really make money on consoles anyway, they're like computers in that regard.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
So yeah. A major retailer in the UK is no longer going to carry the Wii U console. The explanation of why is in the article itself, as well as Nintendo's reaction to it (which is also interesting). Most of you probably don't know who this company is, but I guarantee that Serebii Joe knows who they are.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/uks-second-biggest-supermarket-stops-stocking-wii-u-6412164

Now to be fair, this isn't necessarily all bad news. It is still going to be available in their online store. It just isn't going to be in their physical stores anymore (at least not right now). And they did sell out of the Wii U consoles that they did have in stock, though after they went on clearance. However, this does illustrate the fact that retailers aren't going to wait forever for a product to become successful. They want to make money. And if they're not making money on a product, they're not going to have it in their stores.

According to Serebii Joe and some others in the UK, they never saw any Wii U systems being in those stores anyway. I don't see why they would be selling many game systems anyway since it's not a common place for people to buy a game system

SBaby

Dungeon Master
According to Serebii Joe and some others in the UK, they never saw any Wii U systems being in those stores anyway. I don't see why they would be selling many game systems anyway since it's not a common place for people to buy a game system

Do you have a link to where Joe said that? And I'm pretty sure that people do indeed buy consoles in the UK.

Retail stores don't really make money on consoles anyway, they're like computers in that regard.

If that was the case, then what would retailers have to gain from carrying consoles in their stores?

The Wii U already had spurts of success. Besides, if we applied that logic, should we exclude nearly all consoles for not becoming immediate successes? I'm looking at you PS3, and I want to play more Sonic Generations.

This is true. However, this is not about the PS3. This is about the Wii U, and this is happening now.

Last edited:

FusionKT

*cough*
Do you have a link to where Joe said that? And I'm pretty sure that people do indeed buy consoles in the UK.

I'm pretty sure they meant the store, not the country.

If that was the case, then what would retailers have to gain from carrying consoles in their stores?

Retailers still make money on consoles, just not a whole lot.

Aurath8

UK resident incoming, and I don't see Wii Us(or any consoles really) in Asda stores. Asda is primarily a supermarket chain, with a few other stores running under the premise of 'we. sell. everything.' Either way, most people aren't going to buy a Wii U alongside their weekly shop, and tend to go to the other stores for home appliances and other things that aren't consoles. I'm not surprised it's not profitable in stores, as if I had to buy a games console I'd do it via GAME, Amazon or somewhere else online.

The hope that people will buy games. Even people who rarely buy games like me are going to go through at least 9 or so during its lifetime.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

Retailers still make money on consoles, just not a whole lot.

The hope that people will buy games. Even people who rarely buy games like me are going to go through at least 9 or so during its lifetime.

It's all about selling accessories. Games, controllers, warranties etc. These are all high-profit items. The consoles are what draws people in, then you want them to buy extra things.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
It's all about selling accessories. Games, controllers, warranties etc. These are all high-profit items. The consoles are what draws people in, then you want them to buy extra things.

If that was the case, then the store wouldn't have anything to gain by dropping the Wii U.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Space for more profitable items to have in stock?

Exactly. It's about profits. If something isn't making a retailer money, it's gone. The Wii U wasn't making any money, so it was taken off the shelves in favor of things that are selling.

BCVM22

The Wii U wasn't making any money, so it was taken off the shelves in favor of things that are selling.

Except how it's been explained to you repeatedly that the retail chain was not of the sort that has anything to gain by selling Wii U hardware in-store and how their decision not to do so isn't even remotely news. From people who shop at the chain in question, no less. You're making this out to be significantly more important than it actually is.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Except how it's been explained to you repeatedly that the retail chain was not of the sort that has anything to gain by selling Wii U hardware in-store and how their decision not to do so isn't even remotely news. From people who shop at the chain in question, no less. You're making this out to be significantly more important than it actually is.

Exactly. What is with some people going crazy about the Wii U? Sure it had a slow start and is far from perfect, but it doesn't deserve all the hate from people who have no idea what they're talking about. Nintendo gets hated either way I guess

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This is true. However, this is not about the PS3. This is about the Wii U, and this is happening now.
And with the PS3, it happened then. You have to keep time relevance in mind. The Wii U could have a better turn for success after slower momentum.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
I don't like linking you guys to IGN, but this actually a good article from them.
Unlike most IGN articles, this one actually puts the Wii U and Nintendo into perspective, and I think it could help anyone who doesn't know what to believe get things straight.
IGN said:
Nintendo’s first-quarter financial resultsreveal that 160,000 Wii U consoles were sold in the entire world between the start of April and the end of June this year. I don’t think anyone was expecting a sudden resurgence after the grimace-worthy figures of the final three months of last financial year, but that is below even the most pessimistic expectations. It’s more shocking when you break it down by territory; of that paltry number, 90,000 were sold in Japan, 60,000 in the Americas, and just 10,000 in Europe, Australia and the rest of the world.
[..]
There are two stories told in this morning’s results. The first is of an impressively solvent company that’s making a profit and shows no signs of ill health or imminent collapse, with one very successful product and one that’s struggling to take off. The second story is of a console whose post-launch period has been nothing short of a total disaster, and which now faces an extremely tough battle to claw back some ground before its competitors launch later this year. They’re not contradictory. Nintendo should be extremely worried about the Wii U, but we don’t need to worry about Nintendo.