• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official X & Y Help Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
For the additional experience when using a foreign Pokemon, does it have to be on a different region cart (i.e.: A Pokemon bred on a US cart gains more EXP on a JP cart)? Or does it just need to be different languages (i.e.: A Pokemon bred on an English-enabled cart gets more EXP on a Japanese-enabled cart)?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter, as that's how the Masuda Method is believed to work (different languages (remember you can select your language at the start of the game), not different region carts).

It's just language.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I'm not sure if this was the thread where someone was talking about a Jolly Shellder/Cloyster, or if it was somewhere else, but now I'm curious: given Cloyster's base speed is there an actual point to have one with that nature?

KamenAeons

Demon Legion (◕‿◕✿)
I'm not sure if this was the thread where someone was talking about a Jolly Shellder/Cloyster, or if it was somewhere else, but now I'm curious: given Cloyster's base speed is there an actual point to have one with that nature?

Jolly maximises the Speed increase you get from Shell Smash. It gets pretty fast and can pretty much mow down Substitutes while also being a good Rapid Spinner.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
Jolly maximises the Speed increase you get from Shell Smash. It gets pretty fast and can pretty much mow down Substitutes while also being a good Rapid Spinner.

Ok. What the best purpose of it? Offensive or defensive?

KamenAeons

Demon Legion (◕‿◕✿)
Ok. What the best purpose of it? Offensive or defensive?

Most likely pure offense. Shell Smash pretty much destroys the option of defence without White Herb. Rock Blast and Icicle Spear are fairly common.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
Most likely pure offense. Shell Smash pretty much destroys the option of defence without White Herb. Rock Blast and Icicle Spear are fairly common.

In that case, what should I choose as it's 4th move? And where should I invest in terms of EVs?

Trevenant

Banned
I would say Attack and Speed primarily. Rock Blast and Icicle Spear are must-haves, the fourth move isn't as useful. Maybe Razor Shell for weaker (defensively) Steel-types? I prefer Hydro Pump, as it's generally stronger and most Steel-types have lower Special Defense than Defense.
Despite Cloyster's titanic Defense, his Special Defense is atrocious and his HP/typing are incredibly bad, so he doesn't make for a good defensive-type sadly. The defense helps take a hit when setting up, though.

Well, I cannot say I have firsthand knowledge of all the nuances of the Forewarn Ability, but since Metronome does not have a Base Power, I'd tend to doubt it. In fact, that would mean if a Pokémon has even one move with low power (i.e., Rock Smash), then it would detect that first. What it does in the case where a Pokémon has no offensive moves, I don't know.

So if Forewarn is used against a Pokémon with four status-type moves, the game would simply detect one chosen at random?

a cat

Can someone tell me if this guy is legit?

Pokemon Species:Kyogre
Nickname: Kyogre
OT: Ninja
IDno: 17011
Shiny?: yes
EV's: All in Sp Attack and Speed cant tell numbers
IV's: (if known) I have no clue
Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Alert to Sounds
Ability: Drizzle
Moves: Water Spout Surf Thunder Ice Beam
Level Caught at: I don't know
Current Level: 100
Stats: 342/201/216/438/316/279
Location Caught: It reads: Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos region from the Hoenn region.
Pokeball Caught In: Master
Any other notes?: I got it from the wondertrade.
It was transferred, so it must have bypassed hack check but I don't know. Who gives away shiny legendaries?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Can someone tell me if this guy is legit?

Pokemon Species:Kyogre
Nickname: Kyogre
OT: Ninja
IDno: 17011
Shiny?: yes
EV's: All in Sp Attack and Speed cant tell numbers
IV's: (if known) I have no clue
Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Alert to Sounds
Ability: Drizzle
Moves: Water Spout Surf Thunder Ice Beam
Level Caught at: I don't know
Current Level: 100
Stats: 342/201/216/438/316/279
Location Caught: It reads: Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos region from the Hoenn region.
Pokeball Caught In: Master
Any other notes?: I got it from the wondertrade.
It was transferred, so it must have bypassed hack check but I don't know. Who gives away shiny legendaries?

You can check the EVs by using a Reset Bag on it, you know.

Anyway, that seems Legitimate as far as I can see, it was let through and on Wnder Trade, and has no problems with it, so it appears o be normal.

They may have misclicked.

a cat

Just did a check, flawless IVs except attack which is a 19. It would have been flawless I believe if hacked. Thank you!

Trevenant

Banned
A flawless (5IV on a Special Attacker is flawless) Kyogre from Gen 3? Getting a hack past PokeTransporter isn't hard, the hack-checks there are a lot worse than most, if not all, fan-checks.
Does anyone know that OT?

a cat

How easy is it to hack gen 3?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
If it isn't hacked, it's without a doubt RNG'd. That OT didn't come up on Smogon's banlist, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Unless someone knows the OT, it will be impossible to tell if it's hacked or not without PokeCheck.