• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official X & Y Help Thread

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok so I can't get the Looker event to start. I've tried walking into Luminos and it won't start up for me. Is there a certain requirement for it, or what's the deal.

Do one battle in the Battle Maison, and go to the north end of Kiloude City to fight your rival. After that, go to Anistar City to have Sycamore upgrade your Mega Ring at the sundial. Then the Looker event will start.

Durbe

I'm tired
Can anyone tell me if running into one of the legendary birds breaks your chain? I'm chaining Skiddo on route 5 and just ran into Articuno and of course it fled right away.

No, it doesn't. I've run into Moltres several times during my chains, and the PokeRadar music still continued playing after it fled.

Also, I need help with Looker's quest (Chapter 2) to find Mimi the Espurr. I can't seem to find it in any of the alleys at all. I've checked at least 3 times.

Amykins

HELP! I literally made an account just to ask this since it's a one in a million chance. I've run into a shiny Trevenant during a horde battle, and I can't capture it until it's the only one left on the battlefield. The trouble is, the whole layout of the battle UI to the actual placement of enemies on the upper screen is confusing. I've got it down to 2 and I want to make darn sure I don't make the shiny pokemon faint.

I have no moves that can inflict status, and all of my pokemon are too high level so I know any move from any of my pokes would be a 1 hit KO. So...yeah, a lot at stake, hehe! Can someone please help me figure out which one I need to faint?

For reference, the battle UI looks like this: (O = enemy, X = my own poke, S = shiny)

OOO
OXO

But the actual positions of the pokes on the top screen looks like this:

O O O
_O S

So now the confusing part. Does the battle UI go by actual positioning or by number? Say we numbered the slots. The UI would be like this:

2 3 4
1 _5

But the other way, it would look like this:

1 3 5
2 _ 4

So then by that logic, would the shiny be#5, or #4? I've been stuck in limbo for about half an hour trying in vain to find a diagram to show exactly which one I need to faint in order to catch the shiny. Can anyone please shed some light on this? Halp!

Last edited:

Nexus27

Also, I need help with Looker's quest (Chapter 2) to find Mimi the Espurr. I can't seem to find it in any of the alleys at all. I've checked at least 3 times.

If I remember right, there are three alleys where Mimi hides in:
= South boulevard: next to cafe Le Nah (there may be a skiddo sleeping before it)
= North boulevard: opposite the sign-less building between the Route 14 exit and the Galette stand
= North boulevard: next to Cafe Triste (there may be a lady in green standing before it).

If you go counter-clockwise around the city starting from South's pokemon center, you should be able to find them in that order.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
HELP! I literally made an account just to ask this since it's a one in a million chance. I've run into a shiny Trevenant during a horde battle, and I can't capture it until it's the only one left on the battlefield. The trouble is, the whole layout of the battle UI to the actual placement of enemies on the upper screen is confusing. I've got it down to 2 and I want to make darn sure I don't make the shiny pokemon faint.

I have no moves that can inflict status, and all of my pokemon are too high level so I know any move from any of my pokes would be a 1 hit KO. So...yeah, a lot at stake, hehe! Can someone please help me figure out which one I need to faint?

For reference, the battle UI looks like this: (O = enemy, X = my own poke, S = shiny)

OOO
OXO

But the actual positions of the pokes on the top screen looks like this:

O O O
_O S

I've been stuck in limbo for about half an hour trying in vain to find a diagram to show exactly which one I need to faint in order to catch the shiny. Can anyone please shed some light on this? Does the battle UI go by actual positioning or by number? Say we numbered the slots. The UI would be like this:

2 3 4
1 _5

But the other way, it would look like this:

1 3 5
2 _ 4

Halp!

Okay, I'm trying very carefully to make sure I'm clear with this. So the battle UI goes by actual positioning. So if the it looks like this on the bottom screen:
OOO
OXO

And the actual battle looks like this:

O_O_O
_OXS

Then the battle UI should be this on the bottom screen:
OOO
OXS

If you've got it down to two Pokemon, I'm hoping this makes more sense to you, because I really don't want to cause you to KO the shiny.

EDIT: Wait, hold on! I'm not actually sure anymore. You don't happen to have a normal or fighting move on you, do you? I don't know, it might help? I really don't know what to say.

Last edited:

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
^The Shiny would be number 5.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay yeah. I'm in a horde battle now, and it looks like a column as follows with a slight stagger:
OOOOS
_ _X

S being your theoretical shiny, and that would correspond to this:

OOO
OXS

Amykins

Are you totally positive? I'll try to clarify a bit more, I'm so sorry this is so confusing...

I've KO'd all but 2of the original 5. So on the top screen they are standing like this:

S O

But on the lower screen it's lined up vertically like this:

O
O

So...see why I'm all mixed up about this?

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I want to evolve an Eevee into Umbreon, and i wish to keep the move charm it learns at 29, but since its a fairy type move now it keeps evolving into Sylveon, and it's nighttime! Will I have to reduce its affection level to its lowest to get Umbreon and keep Charm? Also, does not using a pokemon for a while (e.g.: keeping it in the PC) make its affection drop?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you totally positive? I'll try to clarify a bit more, I'm so sorry this is so confusing...

I've KO'd all but 2of the original 5. So on the top screen they are standing like this:

S O

But on the lower screen it's lined up vertically like this:

O
O

So...see why I'm all mixed up about this?

So that vertical line is the far right of the bottom screen? Because if so, that would mean that at some point it looked like this on the top screen:

O O O S O

Which looks like this on the bottom screen:

OOS
OXO

In other words, the Pokemon that was at one point on the far right corresponds with the bottom right spot. I tested this in a horde battle recently.

Nexus27

I want to evolve an Eevee into Umbreon, and i wish to keep the move charm it learns at 29, but since its a fairy type move now it keeps evolving into Sylveon, and it's nighttime! Will I have to reduce its affection level to its lowest to get Umbreon and keep Charm? Also, does not using a pokemon for a while (e.g.: keeping it in the PC) make its affection drop?

You can try making Eevee forget Charm for a while to make it evolve into Umbreon then make it remember with a Heart Scale for the Move Reminder in Dendemille Town. From what I know affection level can't decrease.

Amykins

So that vertical line is the far right of the bottom screen? Because if so, that would mean that at some point it looked like this on the top screen:

O O O S O

Which looks like this on the bottom screen:

OOS
OXO

In other words, the Pokemon that was at one point on the far right corresponds with the bottom right spot. I tested this in a horde battle recently.

YES! That looks about right. Gonna go for it, I'm super nervous!

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
You can try making Eevee forget Charm for a while to make it evolve into Umbreon then make it remember with a Heart Scale for the Move Reminder in Dendemille Town. From what I know affection level can't decrease.

I just tested this, i forgot Charm, and it indeed became Umbreon. But it can't relearn Charm via the move reminder...goodness, this is a dilemma!

Nexus27

I just tested this, i forgot Charm, and it indeed became Umbreon. But it can't relearn Charm via the move reminder...goodness, this is a dilemma!

Yikes! Sorry about that. I remembered trying that on one of my eeveelutions before, but i guess i mis-remembered. But given the fact that it was going to evolve into Sylveon because of its max affection level, I can't think of anything else to get it to evolve to Umbreon without forgetting that move.

Durbe

I'm tired
If I remember right, there are three alleys where Mimi hides in:
= South boulevard: next to cafe Le Nah (there may be a skiddo sleeping before it)
= North boulevard: opposite the sign-less building between the Route 14 exit and the Galette stand
= North boulevard: next to Cafe Triste (there may be a lady in green standing before it).

If you go counter-clockwise around the city starting from South's pokemon center, you should be able to find them in that order.

Oh! I think it's because I've been looking at all the three North Boulevard alleys instead of one of them in the South. Thank you, I'll be trying that in a bit!

chuy409

Why hasnt lvl 100 random wifi battles been added to x and y? I hate lvl 50s. It such a turn off that your pokemon automatically loses bulk at lvl 50. Just take a look at these damage calcs.

Lvl 50:
252+ Atk Machamp DynamicPunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aggron: 180-216 (101.69 - 122.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Lvl 100:

252+ Atk Machamp DynamicPunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aggron: 336-400 (97.67 - 116.27%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Both had the same ev spread and such. It may not look like much but for a bulky pokemon, every single hp counts.

I'm really confused, how the heck do I add friends so I can go to their Friend Safaris?