• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official X & Y Help Thread

reinofc

What exactly is the shiny value and how do people figure out their number?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
What exactly is the shiny value and how do people figure out their number?

The shiny value is a number that both an Egg and your game have, if the two match up then the hatched Pokemon will be shiny. It requires an external tool to figure out, discussion and linking to said tool isn't allowed here.

reinofc

The shiny value is a number that both an Egg and your game have, if the two match up then the hatched Pokemon will be shiny. It requires an external tool to figure out, discussion and linking to said tool isn't allowed here.

Doesn't that mean you'd have to check each and every egg before it hatches to see if it matches up?
I thought it was suppose to save time shiny hatching

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Doesn't that mean you'd have to check each and every egg before it hatches to see if it matches up?
I thought it was suppose to save time shiny hatching

Ideally, what you'd do is get a bunch of Eggs, check their values, and see if you can find someone else whose TSV matches the PSV of one of your Eggs, then get that person to hatch your shiny.

DKN117

Legend Tamer
So did the Friend Safari thread get deleted? Or did it never exist in the first place?

Do I just list all the FS Pokemon I still need in my signature with "PM me if you have this 'mon in your Safari"?

pikachu54549

Honey can be found on wild Combee, and Pokemon with the Honey Gather Ability have a chance to pick up Honey after a battle.

Also there is a regenerating honey hidden item that appears once per day in the Pokemon Village

And jeffery007 the move Sweet Scent does the same thing a Honey item would do.

Last edited:

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
Is there any difference in the rarity of certain Hordes? It doesn't say on the main site. I.e. on Rt. 14 I haven't seen a single Ekans horde but plenty of Bellsprout and Skorupi. And on Rt. 11 I've found heaps of Nidoran but no Starly even though it's listed.

pikachu54549

Is there any difference in the rarity of certain Hordes? It doesn't say on the main site. I.e. on Rt. 14 I haven't seen a single Ekans horde but plenty of Bellsprout and Skorupi. And on Rt. 11 I've found heaps of Nidoran but no Starly even though it's listed.

I SECOND THE EKANS PART!!!!

And I do believe that there are certain rarities to the different. It does state that in the official Pokemon X and Y Handbook.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

Yes, there is. Stellar's Horde EV Training Guide in Smogon's Orange Islands forum has a listing.

GildedScizor

The drinking bird

pikachu54549

I have two 5IV pokemon in the daycare, one with the destiny knot and another with an everstone, but the eggs don't have 5IVs like their parents? Is there a reason why the destiny knot isn't working?

feelingdand

I have two 5IV pokemon in the daycare, one with the destiny knot and another with an everstone, but the eggs don't have 5IVs like their parents? Is there a reason why the destiny knot isn't working?

Because Destiny Knot passes 5 random IVs, you could be getting the one not perfect IV each time. And if it's anything like previous generations and breeding, it can select the same IV twice in its random choosing.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
If I'm not wrong you want to keep the HP to 404 (for Level 100). This gives you a Substitute with 101 HP, which ensures that Seismic Toss or equivalent cannot break your Substitute in 1 hit - good to stall or set up on ST users like Blissey.
Ah, that's not exactly what I remember hearing, but good to know n.nu

Icepath

So quick question on IV Breeding...

I'm trying to get a perfect Joltik, but it's taking forever. The parent Pokemon are these two:

Joltik (HP, ATTACK, SP ATTACK, SP DEFENSE, SPEED) (But he has Unnerve...so yeah...) Destiny Knot

Joltik (HP, ATTACK, SP ATTACK, SP DEFENSE) Everstone

Am I just out of luck or should I breed different Pokemon to get it? I have a ton of Joltik's with almost perfect IV's. Should I breed the Perfect with one that has less perfect IVs?