• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official X & Y Help Thread

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Hey guys. So what do you think of this Sceptile that I've breed and trained?

Sceptile @ White Herb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed
Ivs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
-Leaf Storm
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Dark)

If I done anything wrong, let me know.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Few questions~

2) To attain 'Grand Duke' in the Battle Chateau, it says I have to defeat all the trainers. Is this retroactive? or I have to defeat them all again upon reaching Duke?

yes you have to defeat all trainers but only the major ones will count ( defeat all gym leaders and elite four this is what I done to reach that rank though it took me days since i had a hard time letting wulfric appear)

Mye

Someone has to win..

Sceptile @ White Herb
-Leaf Storm
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Dark)

Not bad, but still a bit iffy due to the heavy reliance on focus blast to kill off steels. Also, a modest nature would probably be way better as after one leaf storm you're already outpacing most of the unboosted metagame making a power boost much more welcome. Something like this is what I'm suggesting:

Sceptile @ White Herb (Unburden)
Modest, 252SpAtk/252Speed/4SpDef
-Leaf Storm
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Dragon Pulse

Less super effective coverage, but overall more reliability/less reliance on shaky accuracy.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Not bad, but still a bit iffy due to the heavy reliance on focus blast to kill off steels. Also, a modest nature would probably be way better as after one leaf storm you're already outpacing most of the unboosted metagame making a power boost much more welcome. Something like this is what I'm suggesting:

Sceptile @ White Herb (Unburden)
Modest, 252SpAtk/252Speed/4SpDef
-Leaf Storm
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Dragon Pulse

Less super effective coverage, but overall more reliability/less reliance on shaky accuracy.

I see. I wanted it to learn HP(Fire) but, when the pokemon with 5 IVs is born, then the HP that it have is the Dark-type. According to the Egg Group of Sceptile, it can't learn the move "Dragon Pulse" but it can learn "Dragonbreath". Source: Serebii. How to get the HP in Fire-type? According to some other players including Cloneblazer12, Timid is the best nature for an Unburden Sceptile.

Last edited:

Nulava

Banned

Sceptile @ White Herb
-Leaf Storm
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Dark)

Ingame Single Rates, try asking here.
Competitive Single Rates, try asking here.

Someone could give you more information on how to improve your set for Sceptile instead of posting here. :)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
According to the Egg Group of Sceptile, it can't learn the move "Dragon Pulse" but it can learn "Dragonbreath".

Dragon Pulse is available as a tutor move in BW2, or as a TM move in Gen IV.

You ought to probably just stick with Focus Blast, though.

How to get the HP in Fire-type? According to some other players including Cloneblazer12, Timid is the best nature for an Unburden Sceptile.

You need IVs of x/x/x/30/31/30 to get HP Fire.

Timid is kinda unnecessary with Unburden; Sceptile already outspeeds a lot of Scarfers and such after a boost, and needs the extra power from Modest.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Can a male Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus in this gen can breed a female Treecko after it learn "Dragon Pulse"?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It can't, since Dragon Pulse isn't an Egg Move for Treecko.

The only way to get a Treecko with the move would be to Poke Transfer from BW2.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

Are you sure this is correct? I have a Timid Latios that's 31/x/31/x/31/x and it's HP Fire. I'm assuming that the Xs are 30s. (i.e., I think its true IV spread is 31/30/31/30/31/30).

Last edited:

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Are you sure this is correct? I have a Timid Latios that's 31/x/31/x/31/x and it's HP Fire. I'm assuming that the Xs are 30s. (i.e., I think its true IV spread is 31/30/31/30/31/30).
Both are correct. It's just that to get HP Fire, one would first need to focus on getting x/x/x/30/31/30 IVs first.
31/30/31/30/31/30 is usually the best IV spread for HP Fire overall... and especially back when it had 70 attack power with that spread.
This generation, with the HP nerf to a flat 60 attack power, it doesn't matter too much as long as the x/x/x/30/31/30 spread is there, if going for Fire.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Both are correct. It's just that to get HP Fire, one would first need to focus on getting x/x/x/30/31/30 IVs first.
31/30/31/30/31/30 is usually the best IV spread for HP Fire overall... and especially back when it had 70 attack power with that spread.
This generation, with the HP nerf to a flat 60 attack power, it doesn't matter too much as long as the x/x/x/30/31/30 spread is there, if going for Fire.

Ah, I see now that my Latios also has 30/31/30; my eyes looked at Excitable Boy's post and my own IV spread and saw two different things when they were, in fact, the same.

But how are the Hidden Power types of of Pokemon with NO flawless IVs calculated? Is it just even/odd number combinations?

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Ah, I see now that my Latios also has 30/31/30; my eyes looked at Excitable Boy's post and my own IV spread and saw two different things when they were, in fact, the same.

But how are the Hidden Power types of of Pokemon with NO flawless IVs calculated? Is it just even/odd number combinations?
I believe it depends on even/odd number combinations for different stats. (And there is also math involved with determining all this.)
This is the guide I'm often referring back to, whenever I do Hidden Power breeding.
(However, this one is outdated, due to the fact that Hidden Power is now a flat 60 attack power; but the guide is still fairly useful for everything else. There is a minor typo regarding 'add 8 if Speed is off', which is basically 'add 8 if the Speed IV is odd')

Treasurepanda

I have a question

So last night I was trading with one of my friends on the pss.
I offered my shiny ivysaur and he offered a shiny event cranidos.

I wanted it, so we both pushed trade.

But then it cancels it and says "there is a pokemon that cannot be left from the trainers party" or something like that.

It was in box 7 also.
Why does it say that?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I have a question

So last night I was trading with one of my friends on the pss.
I offered my shiny ivysaur and he offered a shiny event cranidos.

I wanted it, so we both pushed trade.

But then it cancels it and says "there is a pokemon that cannot be left from the trainers party" or something like that.

It was in box 7 also.
Why does it say that?

The problem might be on your friend's side.

Probably the Cranidos is the only Pokemon he/she has that knows a certain HM move?

Also, this still needs confirmation, but I don't think the event Cranidos can be shiny.

Treasurepanda

The problem might be on your friend's side.

Probably the Cranidos is the only Pokemon he/she has that knows a certain HM move?

Also, this still needs confirmation, but I don't think the event Cranidos can be shiny.

Well it was shiny u_u
And the guy had almost all his boxes filled with pokemon.
And we traded other shinies too, some with hm moves.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I believe it depends on even/odd number combinations for different stats. (And there is also math involved with determining all this.)
This is the guide I'm often referring back to, whenever I do Hidden Power breeding.
(However, this one is outdated, due to the fact that Hidden Power is now a flat 60 attack power; but the guide is still fairly useful for everything else. There is a minor typo regarding 'add 8 if Speed is off', which is basically 'add 8 if the Speed IV is odd')

Thank you! And thanks for explaining the typo!

Well it was shiny u_u
And the guy had almost all his boxes filled with pokemon.
And we traded other shinies too, some with hm moves.

I'm 99% sure that the event Cranidos cannot be shiny. I would thoroughly hack-check everything that person gave to you.

Also, you can trade Pokemon with HM moves, but you can't trade them if they're in your party. That's why he couldn't trade with you, but it's for the best anyway because Cranidos was probably hacked.

SilverCharizard

Natures can be passed down from parent to off spring by one of the parents holding a ever stone, right?

Mye

Someone has to win..
Natures can be passed down from parent to off spring by one of the parents holding a ever stone, right?

Si, the parent who has the nature you want needing to hold the stone though.