• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official X & Y Help Thread

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
So basically that powersaves thing I've been reading about is the only way so save your game file as backup? (Which doesn't count as legitimate)

I believe that if you downloaded the digital copy you can Back-Up the Save File from your SD Card, or as a hard-save to your SD Card if you were to delete the digital version from it.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I believe that if you downloaded the digital copy you can Back-Up the Save File from your SD Card, or as a hard-save to your SD Card if you were to delete the digital version from it.

If I'm understanding what dirkac is saying - that if you have a digital version of your game, the save file is on the SD card you can keep it as a "backup" while playing from another SD card - this will not work. When I got a new SD card for my 3DS, I was wondering the same thing. My thought process was "I now have two save files - one on my 2GB SD card, and one on my 16GB SD card. Can I now switch between the two and have two save files of Pokemon Y?"

And the answer is essentially no. The 3DS remembers what save file you are working from, and if you switch SD cards, it notices that the save file on the 3DS and the save file on the SD card don't match up, and it wipes your save file and forces you to start over.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I think I'm being the victim of a serious troll: I'm sweet scenting at route 5 and all I'm getting are either Gulpins or Scraggies, never Plusles or Minuns.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
If I'm understanding what dirkac is saying - that if you have a digital version of your game, the save file is on the SD card you can keep it as a "backup" while playing from another SD card - this will not work. When I got a new SD card for my 3DS, I was wondering the same thing. My thought process was "I now have two save files - one on my 2GB SD card, and one on my 16GB SD card. Can I now switch between the two and have two save files of Pokemon Y?"

And the answer is essentially no. The 3DS remembers what save file you are working from, and if you switch SD cards, it notices that the save file on the 3DS and the save file on the SD card don't match up, and it wipes your save file and forces you to start over.

I did not mention changing SD Cards, only that backing them up is technically possible if for some reason your data corrupts, in whcih case it can be re-added onto the same SD Card you used prior.

I think I'm being the victim of a serious troll: I'm sweet scenting at route 5 and all I'm getting are either Gulpins or Scraggies, never Plusles or Minuns.

1. They're relatively rare.
2. You have bad luck.

Eclair~

ES member Eclair
I hate to ask this but I've searched for a list on serebii.net and don't see one. So in double/triple battles, there are certain moves that will hit your team mates too. What I need to know is ALL the moves that do this? I know of Surf and EQ & discharge but I believe there are others? Also, just wondering but those moves as well as moves that don't hit your mons but hit multiple of the opponent's mons, do they lose power for hitting more than one or do they keep the power they say they have? (Example, EQ is 100 power) And if they DO lose some power, how much and does that also apply to single/rotation battles?

Multiply by 1.1 and you have your new accuracy. It's a very small boost to accuracy though, especially for inaccurate attacks like Focus Blast or Thunder.

This is the most commonly used one.
So basically I was correct in either math cal. I love how math can be done multiple different ways :) Now I only need to know how often it hits in the 9/10 times form like I asked in my last post. :)

Thanks for all the help. :)

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I hate to ask this but I've searched for a list on serebii.net and don't see one. So in double/triple battles, there are certain moves that will hit your team mates too. What I need to know is ALL the moves that do this? I know of Surf and EQ & discharge but I believe there are others? Also, just wondering but those moves as well as moves that don't hit your mons but hit multiple of the opponent's mons, do they lose power for hitting more than one or do they keep the power they say they have? (Example, EQ is 100 power) And if they DO lose some power, how much and does that also apply to single/rotation battles?

So basically I was correct in either math cal. I love how math can be done multiple different ways :) Now I only need to know how often it hits in the 9/10 times form like I asked in my last post. :)

Thanks for all the help. :)

This page has all the Moves like that, alongside similar ones, as well.

But it's Boomburst, Bulldoze, Discharge, Earthquake, Explosion, Lava Plume, Magnitude, Parabolic Charge, Petal Blizzard, Searing Shot, Self-Destruct, Sludge Wave, Surf, Synchronoise, and Teeter Dance.

Eclair~

ES member Eclair
This page has all the Moves like that, alongside similar ones, as well.

But it's Boomburst, Bulldoze, Discharge, Earthquake, Explosion, Lava Plume, Magnitude, Parabolic Charge, Petal Blizzard, Searing Shot, Self-Destruct, Sludge Wave, Surf, Synchronoise, and Teeter Dance.
Thank you so much, after reading the article, I even got an answer to what I thought I'd read somewhere many years ago, sadly, I wasn't mistaken.

"Moves that hit multiple Pokémon will have their damage reduced by 25%, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point, just like in a Double Battle"

Again, thank you everyone! :)

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
Thank you so much, after reading the article, I even got an answer to what I thought I'd read somewhere many years ago, sadly, I wasn't mistaken.

"Moves that hit multiple Pokémon will have their damage reduced by 25%, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point, just like in a Double Battle"

Again, thank you everyone! :)

So there is a damage reduction in all pokemon hitting moves? I thought I had noticed that when doing battles (just that it seemed like the moves weren't hitting as hard as they should have) but its confirmed?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
So there is a damage reduction in all pokemon hitting moves? I thought I had noticed that when doing battles (just that it seemed like the moves weren't hitting as hard as they should have) but its confirmed?

Yes, it's been like that since Gen III.

LLR

Vivillon Trader
Hello, I've been breeding recently. It's strange though. I can't seem to pass on TMs. I even taught it to both parents. Did X&Y change this mechanic?

My understanding is that unless TMs are listed as egg moves they aren't passed down.
But you can use TMs unlimited times so just teach the new pokemon the move with TM.
TMs that could only be taught in previous gens have to be bred then transferred up.
But then you can't get a Kalos born pokemon.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Question for Rating Battles in Battle Spot:

-Can pokemon in my team use multiples of the same item? (I could easily go try, but thought I'd ask before I go spend more BP or w/e to go try)
Example: 2 pokemon have Leftovers/Life Orb.

KamenAeons

Demon Legion (◕‿◕✿)

-Can pokemon in my team use multiples of the same item? (I could easily go try, but thought I'd ask before I go spend more BP or w/e to go try)

Not that I know of. To be safe, you could try using two Pokemon with Sitrus Berries. See how that goes.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Not that I know of. To be safe, you could try using two Pokemon with Sitrus Berries. See how that goes.

Been checking things in Smogon, and seen a few teams that combined have 3 Life Orbs's and 3 Leftovers... and I'm like... huh?

I don't think they can either, but quite confused at that.

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.

Rating battles follow the same rule format as "Flat rules" for link/wi-fi battles.
In other words, Item Clause is in effect; meaning, your team cannot hold more than one of the same item.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Rating battles follow the same rule format as "Flat rules" for link/wi-fi battles.
In other words, Item Clause is in effect; meaning, your team cannot hold more than one of the same item.

That's what I thought, makes me wonder what the heck some of the people in the RMT in Smogon are thinking though, a team with 3 Leftovers and 3 Life Orbs....
Well doesn't change my team though since they all have 1 of any particular item anyways.

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
That's what I thought, makes me wonder what the heck some of the people in the RMT in Smogon are thinking though, a team with 3 Leftovers and 3 Life Orbs....
Well doesn't change my team though since they all have 1 of any particular item anyways.
Smogon kinda has their own thing where they don't follow the Item Clause, which is what most people seem to prefer.
What I do know, however, is that if you use the "Normal rules" format for link/wi-fi battles, your team is allowed to hold more than one of the same item.
When battling on the Battle Spot, be it Free or Rating, Item Clause is in effect otherwise.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Smogon kinda has their own thing where they don't follow the Item Clause, which is what most people seem to prefer.
What I do know, however, is that if you use the "Normal rules" format for link/wi-fi battles, your team is allowed to hold more than one of the same item.
When battling on the Battle Spot, be it Free or Rating, Item Clause is in effect otherwise.

I see, so while they go willy-nilly banning items and pokemon, they let such a nonsensical rule fly lol... well my respect for Smogon rules went even lower.
To each their own though I guess. I use M-Kangaskhan in my team anyways so.