• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official X & Y Help Thread

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
After checking the other pages to see if someone answered my question, it appears no one has noticed? Since it went unanswered in over a month, I'll repeat it one more time.

I've been trying to figure out which two Pokemon would be best suited for Natural Object farming, similarity to that of a HM Slave. Since the total number of moves needed to break all types of objects is five, a second Pokemon is necessary.
What two Pokemon would work? Note that these Pokemon must be obtainable as early as possible without trading.

The best I can come with is to pick Charmander at Lumiose City (it learns Heat Wave and Rock Slide as a Charizard) and to have a Smeargle Sketch Air Cutter, Muddy Water, Razor Leaf and Rock Slide (will require a few trips to Restaurant Le Nah in Lumiose City). Air Cutter and Razor Leaf can be Sketched from Farfetch'd and Skiddo/Flabebe, though Rock Slide requires you to raise a Lunatone or Solrock to Lv 25 (you will have to wait until you get the 8th badge otherwise as Waterfall is needed to get the Rock Slide TM in Couriway Town). A Goomy or Vaporeon can provide you with Muddy Water. Surf is available earlier but it also hits your partner in Double Battles which can knock Smeargle out before it can Sketch the move.

You still have to wait until you get to Dendemille Town to reteach Charizard Heat Wave however.

Last edited:

DavidD001

thank you so very much nel3

nel3

Crimson Dragon

Kacho

You are next.
how do you breed for a perfect or near prefect IV for non gender pokemon?
I kinda want a good IV claydol and cryogonal (and cant think of other no gender poke atm) but i cant do the destiny knot thing? maybe i need to get a good ditto??

so I was on the "gender" page on serebii and...
"That said, Mew and Cryogonal both learn Attract which will infatuate other Genderless Pokémon"
has anyone tried it? does it work on other genderless poke?

Last edited:

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
I kinda want a good IV claydol and cryogonal (and cant think of other no gender poke atm) but i cant do the destiny knot thing? maybe i need to get a good ditto??

just google I don't IV breed

Kacho said:
so I was on the "gender" page on serebii and...
"That said, Mew and Cryogonal both learn Attract which will infatuate other Genderless Pokémon"
has anyone tried it? does it work on other genderless poke?

it will always fail i think

Akashin

A good Ditto is advisable anyway, but what makes you think you can't use the Destiny Knot with Genderless Pokemon?

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I just did an inverse battle today and I had the extreme luck to face against a Shedinja. needless to say I found online which moves to use to defeat that darn thing after 7-8 turns. im setting up a mold breaker Haxorus with false swipe. its other moves are poison jab, dragon claw and taunt.

im not sure which move I should replace taunt with for good coverage. any suggestions? iron tail, e-quake, dark pulse and shadow claw are candidates, I could also remove dragon claw as I have e-quake and dragon claw already covered by Flygon. i'll have to remove some speed EV from Haxorus and drop them into defense. basically a bulky Haxorus if possible. atm I don't have breeding stock for the egg moves but that's not a big problem to fix.

The best I can come with is to pick Charmander at Lumiose City (it learns Heat Wave and Rock Slide as a Charizard) and to have a Smeargle Sketch Air Cutter, Muddy Water, Razor Leaf and Rock Slide (will require a few trips to Restaurant Le Nah in Lumiose City). Air Cutter and Razor Leaf can be Sketched from Farfetch'd and Skiddo/Flabebe, though Rock Slide requires you to raise a Lunatone or Solrock to Lv 25 (you will have to wait until you get the 8th badge otherwise as Waterfall is needed to get the Rock Slide TM in Couriway Town). A Goomy or Vaporeon can provide you with Muddy Water. Surf is available earlier but it also hits your partner in Double Battles which can knock Smeargle out before it can Sketch the move.

You still have to wait until you get to Dendemille Town to reteach Charizard Heat Wave however.

Didn't think of Smeargle. Thank you!
By the way, since I didn't choose Charmander during my play through, I had to do a little research based on what you said for a alternative solution.
Turns out Slugma will work in my case since they can be found at Route 13 via Smashable Rocks & learns Lava Plume at Lv. 37, fulfilling the position.

Vodka Haze

So I need help breeding this Slugma. I've been trying to breed a Slugma that knows HP Grass, and the only Slugma I've bred that can learn HP Grass has abysmal Special Attack, which is a no-go for its moveset. How do I breed a Slugma that knows HP Grass and has good Special Attack?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
So I need help breeding this Slugma. I've been trying to breed a Slugma that knows HP Grass, and the only Slugma I've bred that can learn HP Grass has abysmal Special Attack, which is a no-go for its moveset. How do I breed a Slugma that knows HP Grass and has good Special Attack?

Work on getting a good Special attack stat on a Slugma, then worry about HP type. Unless you're after certain Egg moves, you can breed any compatible Father with a good Sp Atk IV with a Power Lens attached. This will mean that the child should have inherited IV for Sp Atk from the parent that held the Power lens.

This Method isn't super fast but you will end up with what you want quicker.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
im no fan of pkmn amie app but how long does it take for full affection once you hit 5 hearts? anything less than 4 hearts is easy the final gap seems to take forever? ive only maxed 1 pkmn, a WT Lucario and im trying to do the same for my shiny Flygon but its been already 3hrs from 0 heart to 5 and not full affection yet. im feeding her +lvl3 pokepuffs and have accidentally poking to hurt her. I don't do it on purpose, its more impatience it takes so long and rushing.

does it matter if you pet it before feeding it or do you get more point if petted after fed?

4.5 hours in and its nearly there and im out of time to play atm, im sure with 30 minutes more id be able to max it but I don't have that time now. how long dos it take you do this and are there any darm tricks?

edit 2: ive had Flygon, Haxorus and Meganium in the first 3 slots. ive dome the unlimited header game with Flygon all this time. I did switch out to both Haxorus and Meganium to give them pokepuffs and that's about it. Meganium has now fully maxed affection while Flygon continues to stagnate/ wont hit max affection.

NVM: I got them maxed out long ago but didn't notice the alert for full friendship.

Last edited:

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
I have a IV question. Ok so i'm new to the concept of IV breeding. I was wondering i have a Dratini with perfect IVs in hp, attack, defense, and speed. What i was wondering was what would be the best pokemon to breed with it to get the other 2 perfect IVs?
Thanks!

Breeding for 6 perfect IVs can take a while, since only 5 IVs can be passed down, and you want 5IVs because there is always one stat you're not going to use. For best results you'll have to breed with a Pokemon with 6 or 5 perfect IVs from the same egg group. You can also use a Ditto. If you're interested, i have a 6IV Ditto you can have.

damion

Dragon Trainer
Not really sure where i could ask this but some weeks ago i lost my 3dsxl and all my games, now with the older gens i have the old wonder cards covered (i backed up those ) but i lost my event pokemon (shiny haunter etc...) i was wondering if there was some way to get them any advise

Krishnath

Dragon Lord
Not really sure where i could ask this but some weeks ago i lost my 3dsxl and all my games, now with the older gens i have the old wonder cards covered (i backed up those ) but i lost my event pokemon (shiny haunter etc...) i was wondering if there was some way to get them any advise

Sorry about your loss.

You are pretty much stuck with Trading for them. I suggest you start by hunting for shiny pokemon so you have something to trade with. Sorry.

damion

Dragon Trainer
I understand and thank you for the reply, it was a painful lose but i have replaced most of my games so i am pretty much starting pearl to X all over again
i was only a few hours into ORuby so not to much of a lost there
i havent really got the hang of shiny hunting so i will have to read up on that

loveandstardust

Question: Where will Professor Sycamore be after you complete the national dex? I've checked his lab and he isn't there. On the PC he said he had something to give me...the shiny charm...but I can't find him in his lab. Anywhere else he could be?

TheEliteEmpoleon

Question: Where will Professor Sycamore be after you complete the national dex? I've checked his lab and he isn't there. On the PC he said he had something to give me...the shiny charm...but I can't find him in his lab. Anywhere else he could be?

He should be at his lab... Did you check the upper floor, where you you first met him?

Autobot N

Hello there I think I found a Diancie bug/glitch or something with my game. I cannot do a thread since I dont have enough posts. Long story short = I was looking up Diancie in the GTS (for kicks and giggles) and I noticed that several people came up as ha;f a face (just the eyes and top of the head) and it had japanese characteres (which mean "Remodeling", from what I understand), and it happens ONLY to Diancie and both of my X & Y games.

I have a screenshot if anyone like to see it.

If this is in the wrong spot, I'm sorry, I have no idea where this would go (since I cant make a thread yet)

It happens with all the hacked Jirachis too

Krishnath

Dragon Lord
I understand and thank you for the reply, it was a painful lose but i have replaced most of my games so i am pretty much starting pearl to X all over again
i was only a few hours into ORuby so not to much of a lost there
i havent really got the hang of shiny hunting so i will have to read up on that
It is all a matter of patience (and a little bit of luck).

Wonder Trade is a good place to start, as it will give you easy access to pokemon of another language than your own (and rarely it gives you shinies as well), which you can use to breed with pokemon of your language to have an increased chance of the eggs producing a shiny (I.e. the Matsuda Method, or MM'ing for short).

The Pokeradar, when acquired. Is another good source, the longer the chain of the same pokemon with it, the greater the chance of a Shiny.

Finally, there is Chain Fishing. For best effect, get an Octillery with Suction Cups an put it in the lead of your party (another pokemon w. Suction Cups would work as well). Then it is just a matter of fishing. As long as you keep encountering (and either fighting or catching) the same pokemon when you fish, the shiny chance will increase for each one encountered just like when chaining pokemon with the pokeradar.

All three are tried and true methods.

If you manage to acquire the Shiny Charm (which requires *all* species of pokemon, short of event only legendaries, caught), the chance of encountering shinies increase considerably. I am currently working on getting one of these myself. It is hard work. >.<