• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ok, cartoon network is taking a turn for the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
In the sitcom front, I'm guessing Nickelodeon has the best quality over Disney. It really looks like Disney got it over their heads after That's So Raven and other legacy sitcoms became successes.

Also, screw Dog with a Blog. No way I'm liking a show because there's a dog in it. Get rid of the blog part.

cantavanda

Blue Rose Princess
I remember many years ago my mom said samurai jack was too violent. ^_^
Good old times. I was a huge fan of dexters laboratory and powerpuff girls and johnny bravo also.
But now, they make overly violent and crappy shows. They ruined ben 10 and stupid over dramatized shows like gumball or generator rex. The only good new shows are adventure time, regular show, and young justice. the batman thing is already older, it is also a good show.

Lanik

Star Wars the Clone Wars is the only show on Cartoon Network that I like. The others aren't very good. I used to like Ben 10 until Omniverse came out. I don't like how they changed Fourarms's voice, the change of art doesn't appeal to me and I have better shows to watch now.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
I stopped having hope for the network a long time ago. I'm not even a fan of Adventure Time or Regular Show. The old school Pokemon was by far the best thing to ever grace Cartoon Network. Now, I only occasionally watch it if Pokemon BW is on. Only occasionally though, because I can only handle the gen5 stupidity in smaller doses...

Doux

I got so sad when I was speaking to my younger relatives and they hadn't even heard of some of my favorites.

Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy? Dexter's Lab? Johnny Bravo? Cow and Chicken? Codename: Kids Next Door? The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy? Evil Con Carne? Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends? The Powerpuff Girls?!
...fighting crime, trying to save the world,
here they come just in tiiime, the Powerpuff Giiirls,
Powerpuff!
dodododo dooo.
:(

So then they start listing off all of this complete bologna, like Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball, Chowder, Flapjack...it went on and on and it made me feel really disappointed. What on earth happened here?

Also, it's hard to revive a show without people complaining about how "it's ruined now."

They shouldn't have ended those shows in the first place though! If they had kept them on, they never would have had to have revived them.

FairGamer9215

They shouldn't have ended those shows in the first place though! If they had kept them on, they never would have had to have revived them.

The problem with keeping a show running for too long is that it might get stale after a while. Its like "Spongebob Syndrome", when a show loses the charm, humor, or likeability it once held. I loved these shows very much, from Ed, Edd, and Eddy, which ended with the movie "Big Picture Show", which I liked quite a bit, there was Billy & Mandy, which had, like, a million specials and mini movies. Powerpuff Girls also had a good film as well, but it wasn't well received because critics happen to be adults...(yeah, I know, there's other reasons, ones I don't understand. Still, I just believed that they just didn't get it.)

I'm glad that they ended like this. Personally, I was hoping Spongebob would end with the movie, but noooooo, let's crank out 4 more seasons of the sh*t. (calm down, this isn't about that...) They were all hilarious and memorable, but what makes a classic cartoon a classic is ending it. So let's appreciate the fact that the cartoons stopped, and hope that cartoon network lets them live on forever as reruns.

Last edited:

Doux

The problem with keeping a show running for too long is that it might get stale after a while.

I feel as if all of the ones I listed ended too early. They weren't nearing 'jumping the shark' and they should've been kept around longer.

I agree with you in that it makes me happy to know that the producers and network knew to end them before they started losing what was great about them, but I just remember always looking forward to the new episodes of all of those cartoons and now that that's ended, that part of being young feels dead.
We all have to grow up sometime, but letting go of that aspect is pretty difficult.

So let's appreciate the fact that the cartoons stopped, and hope that cartoon network lets them live on forever as reruns.

That's the problem! They seem to be slowly but surely inching further and further away from the older cartoons.

I'd be satisfied if they would play the 'oldies' more often, even if they are reruns. But they don't anymore. They set aside a small portion of a massive network for them, and the rest is...garbage! From King Garbage! Of the Garbage Dynasty!

FairGamer9215

I feel as if all of the ones I listed ended too early. They weren't nearing 'jumping the shark' and they should've been kept around longer
True, they never did jump the shark, but they did the smart thing: they ended it before it ever happened. I was glad that it never reached the point of horror. Billy & Mandy was getting really REALLY close, but thank God that went out before it happened. The last episode I remember was Irwin being a bug king with Haus Del Gotto and he runs him over and...that's about it. Anyway, they went out with a bang and not a whimper. That's what I personally prefer.

That's the problem! They seem to be slowly but surely inching further and further away from the older cartoons.

I'd be satisfied if they would play the 'oldies' more often, even if they are reruns. But they don't anymore. They set aside a small portion of a massive network for them, and the rest is...garbage! From King Garbage! Of the Garbage Dynasty!

It is REALLY not that bad. Its not good, but I believe adventure time has some merit, having an actual interesting storyline and deep character creation. Gumball was funny for a bit, and the animating style was interesting, but it didn't really hold me. Regular Show is OK, and with all the minor adult humor, it makes me feel like the show is winking at me going "hint hint". I don't really know about any of the other shows, nor do I care. Btw, about Chowder and Flapjack: they were cancelled relatively quickly, so I think most everyone agreed that those shows were quite unbearable.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Powerpuff Girls also had a good film as well, but it wasn't well received because critics happen to be adults...(yeah, I know, there's other reasons, ones I don't understand. Still, I just believed that they just didn't get it.)

Well, it flopped because of bad marketing, for one thing... And just because Ebert and Roeper didn't like it doesn't mean other critics didn't, but I don't think those critics were as widely-known as Ebert and Roeper.

Another is that I think it's because the movie was darker and more violent than the show was--and I mean really dark and violent. I remember getting really creeped out and depressed throughout the entire movie when I saw it in theaters. I still loved it, of course, and we bought the movie when it came out on VHS, but it was really mature compared to the actual television series. That sadly chased away a lot of the audience (if the critics didn't help), but it still paid off the animation budget, but otherwise, it's considered a major disappointment at the box office.

Thankfully, it's been announced that there will be a reboot of the series next year.

TheReckless1

Mind Wipe
In my opinion, yes CN has fallen in quality. CN's golden age to me was when they had Samurai Jack, Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy, The Grim Adventures, and other cartoons from that era. Remember though, times and trends change. Yes some of us think the shows they have on are dumb (to me they are), but it does have one or two decent ones. Also, parents and other people (grandparents, mid-life, older people, etc.) from when we were younger thought the shows we watched on CN were dumb as well. Maybe it's a generation thing. I still think CN has downgraded, but that's just me.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I don't think they're ruined; the only beef I have with them is their live-action programming. That doesn't seem right to me - it's Cartoon Network. And Kevin, the guy that does the bumps for 'Flicks' is kind of mindless. Usually there is some level of education or imagination in show bumps; but Kevin just plays with video filters and yells about how cool it is.

I'm part of the Dexter/Powerpuff/Billy and Mandy generation too, but eventually I warmed up to Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gumball. In that order.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Oh, sure. Let's just re-use the same dynamic and villain(s) for Batman over and over and OVER again. I don't know if Beware the Batman is going to be any good, but I think using a different set of villains and a new cast is a step in the right direction. Besides, with what the comics have done to the Joker now, not sure if he's going to be very marketable (unless they just use the same designs they have used for years now).

Atari

Did it on 'em
NOT TROLLING, older generation cartoons suck compared to Adventure Time [and Regular Show]. Of course I grew up with Toonami and Cartoon Cartoons. Still doesn't change that imo the shows have gained a bit more originality and I'm glad the channel has made a[nother] turn (for the better {thankfully, remember that dreadful time when they stopped showing cartoons}).

Well, it flopped because of bad marketing, for one thing... And just because Ebert and Roeper didn't like it doesn't mean other critics didn't, but I don't think those critics were as widely-known as Ebert and Roeper.

Another is that I think it's because the movie was darker and more violent than the show was--and I mean really dark and violent. I remember getting really creeped out and depressed throughout the entire movie when I saw it in theaters. I still loved it, of course, and we bought the movie when it came out on VHS, but it was really mature compared to the actual television series. That sadly chased away a lot of the audience (if the critics didn't help), but it still paid off the animation budget, but otherwise, it's considered a major disappointment at the box office.

Thankfully, it's been announced that there will be a reboot of the series next year.

Woah woah woah! They are rebooting Powerpuff Girls?!

FairGamer9215

Woah woah woah! They are rebooting Powerpuff Girls?!

There aren't a lot of details, that I can find anyway (just chatter in the forums), but good ol' Wikipedia says that the creator was going to create a reboot for the series. And Ringo from the Beatles voiced a character. Yep. SOURCE (btw, if anyone DOES have more concrete details on this, please share. My search wasn't that in depth, admittedly...:p)

EDIT: Alright, here's some good informative forum chatter: LINK

Last edited:

insanejames

Unorthodox Trainer
have you ever though that it is just as good and you have simple grown up and the old shows you still enjoy due to nostalgia.

There aren't a lot of details, that I can find anyway (just chatter in the forums), but good ol' Wikipedia says that the creator was going to create a reboot for the series. And Ringo from the Beatles voiced a character. Yep. SOURCE (btw, if anyone DOES have more concrete details on this, please share. My search wasn't that in depth, admittedly...:p)

EDIT: Alright, here's some good informative forum chatter: LINK

That's really cool. I love the original Powerpuff Girls and I really hope this reboot is as good even though it is going to be hard to top the original Powerpuff girls again. Let's see how scary HIM is in this version. Everyone knows who HIM is right?

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
have you ever though that it is just as good and you have simple grown up and the old shows you still enjoy due to nostalgia.

And that's my exact reasoning for liking Red and Blue over Black and White. I've gotten old. but I gotta say I was also with the PPG generation, and I to like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gumball. I still think its funny.

My sister and I were really sad when Chowder and Flapjack went off though...even my mom liked Chowder.

FairGamer9215

I think that's just sort of a cop-out kind of excuse. I'd like to think that I personally know what is not merely funny, but viewable television. Spongebob used to be that. Dexter's Lab was that. Ed, Edd & Eddy was that. Maybe there is something in a child that makes them believe whatever cartoon exists is funny somehow, but...all I know is that I showed my little cousins, one is 4 years old and the other is 5, I showed them old Spongebob and Ed, Edd & Eddy and they LOVED it. They kept those DVDs for months. Now, do they still like Fan boy and Chum Chum, Adventure Time (as do i) and new Scum-I mean "Spongebob"? Yeah, they do. As much? I don't really know, I try to ask them and they just shrug and...keep playing Pokemon or whatever. The point is, yeah, there's nostalgia involved. And when it comes to children, not all, but in general, there's really no meter or system like the older generations. BUT! I'd like to believe that I am in a right enough mind to be able to tell quality from sh*t. And I believe children can too, if you give them the option. So tell them about the legendary toons, show them why they're special, and I'm sure that eventually, they will be able to tell the difference too. But, what do I know? I'm not a kid any more.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.