• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ok, they need to stop making the first gym rock type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Pocket_Monster

It's not even just the cliche of a Rock type starting gym. We've already had Water type and Electric type gyms in every game so far, and every game has had a Psychic type or Ghost type trainer as either a gym leader or member of the elite four. Meanwhile, there has only been one Ground type gym, one Bug type gym, and no Dark type gyms, and plenty of types have been left out of the E4 (such as Normal, Grass, and Rock). If Gamefreak wants to keep it fresh, they'll have to do what they did with Johto and give us something different with regard to Gym Leader and E4 type matchups.

I agree with the person who said earlier that Ghost would be a good starter gym. I also think a Normal type gym could be fun to start with if done right, because then no starter would have the advantage one way or another. ;255;

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
It is boring to constantly see Rock. Switching to Ice or Dark(as the first gym of this type at all) would add variety.

Prinplup

Super, super =D
How come most of the threads in General PKMN Discussion are people moaning about stuff in the games? >_>

I'll just give 1 word - Tradition

zlxq3000

Master Collector
]I also think a Normal type gym could be fun to start with if done right, because then no starter would have the advantage one way or another. ;255;

But that's the POINT of having a rock-type Gym first: it sets up how easy or difficult the game is going to be for the player. Either they're going to have their starter be the pokemon to carry them through the first quarter of the game through just by type advantage, or they're going to pick up other pokemon and actually train their starter, as well as the others, in order to stand a chance against the first few bosses of the game. If you throw in something that everyone is equally able to beat, then what's the use of doing just the three starters? It wouldn't set any sort of precedent for how the rest o the game is going to be played at all.

It is boring to constantly see Rock. Switching to Ice or Dark(as the first gym of this type at all) would add variety.

...And what super-weak ice- or dark-types could the Leader have that one would be able to defeat with pokemon around level 12? There are so few pokemon of either one of these types, and the ones that there are wouldn't make for a good first Gym at all; most pokemon that are ice-type are ice/water, so they wouldn't be useful in setting the precedent for the game's difficulty (as grass would be weak, water wouldn't be very effective, and fire would do something, but not so much because of the water typing of most ice-types), and there are so few dark-types... You'd want to face an Absol or a Sableye or a Sneasel in the very first Gym? I don't think so, and even if you did, they wouldn't be much of a challenge at level, like, 14 or whatever.

There was also some mention of a ghost-type Gym as being the first one? Yeah, because going up against a ghost Gym with pokemon whose first two moves are likely to be normal-type seems fair...

Absol trainer

Hidden Valley...
I found rock to be a good starting type for gyms, it has plenty of weaknesses and for the noobs they will see that tackle won't always be their strongest attack. It would be nice to see something else first, like in Gold/Silver. You could see there that it worked out.

Charmageddon

How come most of the threads in General PKMN Discussion are people moaning about stuff in the games? >_>

I'm sorry, should we be quiet and just list the things we like? No, we're gonna talk about what's bad as well as what's good. It's called discussion, live with it.

And I'm gonna give four words: Dull, unimaginative and repetitive.

But that's the POINT of having a rock-type Gym first: it sets up how easy or difficult the game is going to be for the player. Either they're going to have their starter be the pokemon to carry them through the first quarter of the game through just by type advantage, or they're going to pick up other pokemon and actually train their starter, as well as the others, in order to stand a chance against the first few bosses of the game. If you throw in something that everyone is equally able to beat, then what's the use of doing just the three starters? It wouldn't set any sort of precedent for how the rest o the game is going to be played at all.

It doesn't set up the difficulty because the gym is still really easy, what with grass/water types becoming more available before the first gym, and the fire starters gaining a fighting type. And there are 7 more gyms and the Elite Four afterwards, they will dictate the difficulty far more than the first gym. And even so, Rock is not the only types that reacts to the three starter types in different ways. Steel is weak to fire, neutral to water and resistant to grass. Why not have that? I know it's a challenging type, but there are some weak Pokemon that can be used such as Magnemite and Aron, and anyway, it's supposed to be a challenge!

...And what super-weak ice- or dark-types could the Leader have that one would be able to defeat with pokemon around level 12? There are so few pokemon of either one of these types, and the ones that there are wouldn't make for a good first Gym at all; most pokemon that are ice-type are ice/water, so they wouldn't be useful in setting the precedent for the game's difficulty (as grass would be weak, water wouldn't be very effective, and fire would do something, but not so much because of the water typing of most ice-types), and there are so few dark-types... You'd want to face an Absol or a Sableye or a Sneasel in the very first Gym? I don't think so, and even if you did, they wouldn't be much of a challenge at level, like, 14 or whatever.

Sableye sucks. He'd actually be pretty perfect for the signature Pokemon of the first gym - challenging, but not too strong. Other Dark types that could be used include Poochyena, Nuzleaf, Carvahna, Stunky, Houndour, Pokemon that evolve into Dark-types like Skorupi and Corphish, Pokemon with types similar to Dark, eg. Ghost (note that the one trainer in Brock's gym uses only Ground Pokemon), and of course any 5th gen Dark-types that are introduced.

Ice: Snorunt, Spheal, Delibird, Swinub, Smoochum, Pokemon that evolve into Ice-types like Seel and Shellder, Pokemon with similar types to Ice, eg. Water, and of course 5th gen Pokemon.

Rock does not set any kind of precedent other than that simple fact that some types work differently with other types. Any typed gym can demonstrate this.

There was also some mention of a ghost-type Gym as being the first one? Yeah, because going up against a ghost Gym with pokemon whose first two moves are likely to be normal-type seems fair...

The starters learn Ember/Water Gun/Absorb pretty early on, the native bug usually learns moves like Confusion once fully evolved, and the bird always has Gust or Peck. Then there'll be others with non-Normal moves, like Wingull and Budew, or Zubats with Bite. And remember - it's supposed to a challenge!

It doesn't matter really who the type is, I mean it is done once you beat them, you can't savour it

Each gym leader is like 1/8th of the plot! Of course the types matter, they help greatly in determining how fun the game is.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
And I'm gonna give four words: Dull, unimaginative and repetitive.

Is it just me or are there only three adjectives after the colon?

Anyways, I don't care whether they change it or not. I always pick water type no matter what...

Sure they could change it, but the first gym usually sets the difficulty depending on what pokemon you choose. Rock types for the first gym usually set fire as the "hard" pokemon to use (though with the fighting moves they've been getting they're not as difficult to beat the rock gyms with), the water starter has always been "medium" due to the usually early electric and grass gyms. and the grass types are usually "easy" beating through the first gyms in almost no time at all.

MokKish

Breeding Enthustiast
The first gym should be dragon type, resisting about every attack any starter can have at that point. It would make the games a little more interesting. And frustrating.

Xx Flare xX

Is it just me or are there only three adjectives after the colon?

Nah he said 4 words not 4 adjectives;)

On Topic though It doesn't really bother me as I normally whizz past each Gym anyways. But it would be nice to have some new different type Gyms.

How About:

Grass
Bug
Normal
Fire
Water
Ground
Dark
Psychic

That would be interesting ;)

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991

1. It's arguable whether it could be considered tradition when the 2nd gen didn't have 1st gym leader train rock types.

2. Who cares whether it's tradition. Just because something has been done ultiple times before doesn't always make it the best option. Sometimes it's better to mix things up.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Who gives a flying fig, anywho?

Money is still made off of every single one of you (and myself). If you don't like it, stop giving Gamefreak money.

Each gym leader is like 1/8th of the plot!

Evil team, E4, side missions, legends, e.t.c.

Of course the types matter

Earlier on, they do.

They help greatly in determining how fun the game is.

Not that I've noticed.

Last edited:

Josiah

is your favorite
But then it's just the same argument; if you look at Kanto's Gym roster, both of Brock's pokemon are ground/rock-types. It wouldn't make it any easier for people who pick the fire-type starter, which is what this thread is arguing for; in fact, it'd probably make it harder. And throwing any of the other types you listed in there (with the possible exception of the bug-type Gym) wouldn't be any good at all for a region's first Gym.
I was meaning that they keep ground to maintain the difficulty of raising a fire starter. I wasn't addressing the op. And I never said I wanted those other types to be the first gym, I said they need more gyms in general.

M4zz

Banned
If you would have the shortcoming knowledge to bother training your pokemon, this wouldnt be such a problem for you. I also agree. No more rock gyms, they're just way too common.

Haggahagga

Wakka Wakka!
First gym uses Rock types is pretty repeatative but I understand why it's the first, due to having so many weaknesses but come on, how about a Bug or a Normal type gym at least it will give you variety.

M4zz

Banned
First gym uses Rock types is pretty repeatative but I understand why it's the first, due to having so many weaknesses but come on, how about a Bug or a Normal type gym at least it will give you variety.
Bug>Grass. More people wou;d whine about that. It should be Dragon, so all three have a disadvantage.

Charmageddon

Dragon I think would be too hard for an opening gym. Pretty much the only weak-ish Dragon types are Bagon, Gible and Dratini.

Status
Not open for further replies.