• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ok, they need to stop making the first gym rock type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
If you would have the shortcoming knowledge to bother training your pokemon, this wouldnt be such a problem for you. I also agree. No more rock gyms, they're just way too common.

I don't think they need to stop with the Rock gyms. I think they only need to do a Rock gym as the 5th or the 6th gym, not the 1st all the time.

PsyMax

Psyduck Roooooocks!!
Pokemon wouldn't create a gym that you could have no hope in beating. Even if you have a fire type and don't train him to a level where he learns a move to counter the rock types, the will (sometimes) have a wild pokemon that can help you there. Such as FireRed which give you Mankey to catch right away around Viridian City. Or you can get a Geodude in D/P/Pt and train him to level 15 to get Magnitude which helps against the Cranidos in the first gym. (Or go up from that city and catch a Machop). It's not impossible, you just need to use your problem solving skills more with a fire starter in these cases.

STICKTOPIA

It's like they are trying to **** up people who picked fire. Why can't they **** up the people that picked water for a change? god damn.
This would be why Charmander learns metal claw, Torchic evolves into combusken at level 16 and learns double kick, and Monferno evolves at level 14 and learns mach punch. I agree with Kanto though b/c the 2nd is water and it's a living hell! Even with Pikachu & Pidgeotto it's still friggin hard!

zlxq3000

Master Collector
This would be why Charmander learns metal claw, Torchic evolves into combusken at level 16 and learns double kick, and Monferno evolves at level 14 and learns mach punch. I agree with Kanto though b/c the 2nd is water and it's a living hell! Even with Pikachu & Pidgeotto it's still friggin hard!

Exactly. THAT'S why they do it that way: it forces you to actually train your starter up, possibly past its first evolution, just to give you a chance against the Leader. In the first generation, the starter sets the pace for the rest of the game; either you'd beat through the bosses quickly by using pokemon that easily defeat the other ones through sheer type differences with Bulbasaur, you'd use some type advantages but still rely on strategic capturing and training with Squirtle, or you'd be forced to play through the game slowly, leveling up your pokemon so they'd stand a fighting chance against the pokemon at the beginning with Charmander. I'm talking before Metal Claw was even a move Charmander could learn; back then, the only real way to beat Brock with a Charmander was to capture a full party and level them up as much as possible. The same had to be done against Misty, since there weren't a lot of pokemon that were strong against water-types available early in the game. They made the game knowing this, and when they decided they could make more, they kept the same pattern, knowing it would set the pace for the rest of the game. Second generation is the only exception; they did the Gyms the way they did only to compensate for the missing types in the Kanto Gyms, sans dark-type, of course.

HazzaY2J

</3 Kid
It does make beginning trainers think about types of pokemon and strategy but I must agree...The rock gym is soo common and especially for the first gym, it's getting very tired...I wish that they would go on and create a dark gym already!!!

I also agree! I'm awaiting a dark gym..

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Nintendo probably doesn't listen to us because we complain about stuff like this in this manner:

"**** i hate water types why can't i use my ****in fire types god **** it waaaaah"

Charmageddon

They need to give people who chose the fire type starter a challenge.

Yet people who choose Water or Grass starters get a gym so easy they don't even need to train for it, catch any other Pokemon, or use any kind of tactic whatsoever.

trade_me_for_a_celebi

Training to beat Red
Sure by this point we have learned to expect rock to be the first gym. In Hoenn I picked Mudkip, not knowing rock would be the first gym, but I will admit I was pleased to know early on I had made the right choice.
Usually I do pick the fire starter and in cases like that, I train the pokemon to be strong enough to beat the gym leader with that and my other pokemon.

Spirit of Darkness

They need to choose a type which is weak against most of the starters. I think that it is better to have it rock rather than ground otherwise Fire starters will have no hope. Also, Electric as the first gym is quite high as you generally are evolving your bird which is quite weak against electric and none of the starters will be able to land a super effective hit. I also believe that the first gym in Johto sucked to be easy for beginners due to its unexpected type. Rock is the best.

Chimchar15

I'm have to agree with the creator with this thread. This whole rock-gym as the first gym is just getting really freaking annoying now. First of all those who said that we could just train our fire starters or catch other Pokemon needs to realize although we can do that, it's just unfair. Why is it in three out of the four regions, we always have a tough time starting out? Some of you guys wouldn't be saying stuff like this if you always have a disadvantage against the first gym. Second the rock gym as first is just boring now. I mean Roark is possible my fav. rock leader but still, we don't need more rock gyms.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Yet people who choose Water or Grass starters get a gym so easy they don't even need to train for it, catch any other Pokemon, or use any kind of tactic whatsoever.

Yes, thereby setting the standard for the rest of the game as far as how the player will play the game.

rocky505

Rock type gyms need to be later than the first gym next time as long as rock isn't the first gym in Gen V I'll be happy.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
but what type of gym could they put in that wouldn't be hard against 1 of the starter types? Normal? Dragon? Dark? Psychic? Ghost? Fighting? most of those are known for being stronger types than what a green trainer can or should have to face right of the bat, rock is known for it's weaknesses to several things.

Shiny Bashamo

Isn't it cute ^^
They need to choose a type which is weak against most of the starters. I think that it is better to have it rock rather than ground otherwise Fire starters will have no hope. Also, Electric as the first gym is quite high as you generally are evolving your bird which is quite weak against electric and none of the starters will be able to land a super effective hit. I also believe that the first gym in Johto sucked to be easy for beginners due to its unexpected type. Rock is the best.

Actually, no.

Why would fire starters have no hope against ground types? Rock is Super effective on Fire and fire is not very effective on rock.
Ground on the other hand is SE against fire, but fire deals neutral damage to ground types, so it would be a little easier. ( Grass and water types would still PWN the first gym)
And I was happy to see Johto had a flying gym as first gym. Because for once my fire starter wasn't weak against the first gymleader. still, his underl-level-evolved pidgeotto OWND me, but after I wqent to sprout tower and evolved Cyndaquil, it got much better. The first gym in Johto was a great succes. The first gym in gen V should not be a rock type.

Zazie

So 1991
but what type of gym could they put in that wouldn't be hard against 1 of the starter types? Normal? Dragon? Dark? Psychic? Ghost? Fighting? most of those are known for being stronger types than what a green trainer can or should have to face right of the bat, rock is known for it's weaknesses to several things.

Fighting is actually a good choice it is strong against normal an easily obtainable type in the beginning of the game and weak against flying another easily obtainable type.

Ghost sounds good as well as earlier on in the game it's immunity to normal moves is a much bigger deal ealier in the game and coul be a god choice provided there are some wild pokemon that can take them on. (like poochyena or anything not a normal or fighting type)

Steel is also a good way of mixing tings up even if some starters would have a hard time. It's better than rock by having Grass be ineffective, water be neutral and fire be super effective unlike rock where 2 types are strong and one is weak making it better for the easy, medium and hard level starter crap everyone keeps bringing up. The would have to be a fire,fighting or ground type avilable early on in the game to make it work though.

Andy787

@ OP - I don't know what your crying for. Sure, having a lot of Rock-type Gym Trainers can be frustrating... but like people will have said to you earlier, not only does Johto break this tradition (and gave us a retarded Flying-type Gym Leader), it also spices up the challange for those who use a fire type pokemon as their starter.

It annoys you because you can't beat them as easily and keep getting blacked out? Have you tried moves like "Growl" to lower their attack? And stocking up stuff like Potions (assuming you don't waste it all on 15 Poké Balls), it doesn't make things difficult.

7 tyranitars

first most rock gyms aren't that hard even whit ember they are K0'd easely
second it is kinda stupid they have almost always rock first. I hope they change that in the V gen if they really have too, then use a not too obvious rock pokemon :/

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Nintendo probably doesn't listen to us because we complain about stuff like this in this manner:

"**** i hate water types why can't i use my ****in fire types god **** it waaaaah"

Lol, I wouldn't be surprised it they were looking at this thread this very second.

But this trend isn't all that bad :S

Status
Not open for further replies.