• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in "Aim to Be a Master"

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
I would give focus and conclusions to characters who really need it. Which is essentially Dawn, May and Misty. Brock, Iris, Serena and Lillie essentially accomplished their goals. I'd like an update with Dawn that she's about to enter a Grand Festival or won one, Misty is already getting episodes since she didn't get a proper appearance and hearing May's journey to becoming an idol would be nice.
Cilan too?

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
The press release talks specifically not about ash reuniting with any friends it talks about Pokémon. It mentions Misty and Brock by name going with him. Indicating they’re his traveling companions again for obvious reasons as the familiarity they have with literally everyone is gonna make people that dropped the anime wanna tune in to see how ash’s final journey ends up.
Don't read too much into the press releases or episode summaries. When it suits TPC/OLM/TVTokyo, they've 1)oversold things to generate hype and 2)hidden things to avoid spoilers.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Cilan too?
It would be nice but just for a BW reunion-ish style thing. They've all pretty much accomplished their dreams, I think Cilan was one rank from being the best anyway. Having him back would be great but it's the end if he doesn't come back.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I would give focus and conclusions to characters who really need it. Which is essentially Dawn, May and Misty. Brock, Iris, Serena and Lillie essentially accomplished their goals.

Lillie's the only one who's truly "completed" her goal if we're getting really technical here.

I mean is there an end goal for being a doctor? Also, Iris being champion is not her true goal, her true goal is being a dragon master which imo she ain't there yet.

I know people might disagree with this, but i'd like to see Chloe one more time, because there's still a part of me that feels that her Eevee's not done, sure we know that Chloe has decided to let Eevee choose her own path, but we still don't know if being capable of Gigantamaxing is what's causing it to not evolve or not, because if it is....then her Eevee can not choose a future other than staying eevee due to being incapable of evolving unless it's fed the Max Soup to take away the G-max power, granted it would feel kind of stupid to me at the same time if that was why it couldn't evolve, but it's better to confirm why Eevee can't evolve outright, than leave it hanging.

Of course i've been thinking of something else, but i'm gonna discuss that in another thread.

Last edited:

KukuiFanatic501

Lillie's the only one who's truly "completed" her goal if we're getting really technical here.

I mean is there an end goal for being a doctor? Also, Iris being champion is not her true goal, her true goal is being a dragon master which imo she ain't there yet.

I know people might disagree with this, but i'd like to see Chloe one more time, because there's still a part of me that feels that her Eevee's not done, sure we know that Chloe has decided to let Eevee choose her own path, but we still don't know if being capable of Gigantamaxing is what's causing it to not evolve or not, because if it is....then her Eevee can not choose a future other than staying eevee due to being incapable of evolving unless it's fed the Max Soup to take away the G-max power, granted it would feel kind of stupid to me at the same time if that was why it couldn't evolve, but it's better to confirm why Eevee can't evolve outright, than leave it hanging.

Of course i've been thinking of something else, but i'm gonna discuss that in another thread.
Honestly at this point, while I see where your coming from and empathize with it, Chloe’s a lost cause and has been for a while now.

It still amazes me how much sidelining she got as basically the last main series female companion. There was ample opportunities to give Chloe so much more and they were missed.

At this point, I’d at least rather have the pokegirls that we’ve actually gotten to know get the desperately needed focus and conclusions. Especially for Dawn and May.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Honestly at this point, while I see where your coming from and empathize with it, Chloe’s a lost cause and has been for a while now.

It still amazes me how much sidelining she got as basically the last main series female companion. There was ample opportunities to give Chloe so much more and they were missed.

At this point, I’d at least rather have the pokegirls that we’ve actually gotten to know get the desperately needed focus and conclusions. Especially for Dawn and May.

sure it's just an opinion, but i'd like some form of closure there more so in regards to her eevee than her herself.

this makes me wonder if they'll close up everyone's stories besides Ash's before the end of this small arc.

KukuiFanatic501

If push comes to shove and they end up making Dawn another idol then I think I’d rather stay willfully ignorant and pretend that Contests haven’t been retconned and Dawn will win a GF one day. Neither is ideal though
Considering all the times Dawn showed up and we never saw her in some idol outfit like May and Serena were, I’m gonna go on a limb and argue the idol contests are only something done in Hoenn

Hence why in Mays cameo they finally had her wearing her ORAS outfit from Contest Spectaculars.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Considering all the times Dawn showed up and we never saw her in some idol outfit like May and Serena were, I’m gonna go on a limb and argue the idol contests are only something done in Hoenn
This might have been a dub thing but in Serena's episode she says she's aiming to "become Top Coordinator". I'm hoping regular Contests are not retconned but I wouldn't be surprised.
Hence why in Mays cameo they finally had her wearing her ORAS outfit from Contest Spectaculars.
Which was weird because they purposely went out of their way to say that Chloe was wearing her old outfit and then showed her wearing her Wallace Cup outfit with Dawn, so I had assumed she was still doing regular Contests.

SatoSereFan224888

To be honest, I don't see past companions making appearances in this series. Seems to me the only companions the writers want Ash to be with are Misty and Brock.

Broseph08

So your entire argument is based on casuals doing a hit-and-run jump onto ongoing mainstream fads/trends, rather than actual engagement of an in-depth basis on a long term period, and then jumping off once the fad wears off, and you're classifying this as a "peak" as if that dictates that OS is somehow better and representative of the entire anime, than what came after it (which it isn't)?
I said it was the peak because it was quite literally when the anime was at its most popular worldwide. All this stuff about 'better' and 'more representative' is stuff you said, not me. At least you agree with the popularity bit which was my original point anyway

bmw9413

it specifically talks about Misty and Brock. The focus is more on ash reuniting with the Pokémon he has bonded with from different regions. It makes no mention of any other old friends.

Well I guess this aged well since the next episode confirms that Brock is kidnapped and Ash, Misty and Cilan will have to rescue him. So I was right!

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
I said it was the peak because it was quite literally when the anime was at its most popular worldwide. All this stuff about 'better' and 'more representative' is stuff you said, not me. At least you agree with the popularity bit which was my original point anyway
Casuals and hit-and-runners are irrelevant, and not indicative of anything (and not just for this anime). AL boldly proclaimed "99% percent of AniPoke's fanbase left after OS", when that is as false a claim as can be, that count only indicates the type of people mentioned and not the actual fanbase.

bmw9413

Well I called it. The next few episodes confirm that Misty and Brock rejoin Ash and meet all his previous companions. Apparently Brock is kidnapped and Ash, Misty and Cilan team up to save him. (Cilan is also revealed to be a Top Connisuer too!)

KukuiFanatic501

Well I called it. The next few episodes confirm that Misty and Brock rejoin Ash and meet all his previous companions. Apparently Brock is kidnapped and Ash, Misty and Cilan team up to save him. (Cilan is also revealed to be a Top Connisuer too!)
Well let’s not get too carried away. Cilan appearing doesn’t necessarily mean the others will (just trying not to create false hope)

Btw did the first episode of the 11 episodes drop yet or is it dropping next week?

Konja7

They haven't totally retconned Contests, since they called Serena's Contest as Contests Spectaculars.

However, this just seem to be a compromise with previous continuity. That's why they never directly clarify that regular Contest and Contest Spectaculars are different.

It's clear writers aren't interested in regular Contests anymore. So, I wouln't expect we would see Dawn participating in a traditional Contest again.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Cilan is one of the few companions who didn't return last year, along with Misty, Tracey, May and Max. I expect to finally see Tracey in a voiced role, but the latter two are problematic due to Kaori. The slew of companions who already came back don't have much left to offer. If anything, it's Go whose journey is totally up in the air, but that's what OLM decided for him just recently.

Also note how Cilan is playing second fiddle to Brock. Not a great honor, to be honest.

Last edited:

KukuiFanatic501

This might have been a dub thing but in Serena's episode she says she's aiming to "become Top Coordinator". I'm hoping regular Contests are not retconned but I wouldn't be surprised.
My guess is that regular Contests aren’t so much retconned but rather they’ve just expanded to have a different type added to them than just the traditional ones (Contest Spectaculars). But because the anime has been largely allergic to having any female character not named Iris be remotely considered normal battlers since BW, the writers probably don’t see a point in making the clarification since they wouldn’t have Dawn or May do contest battles.
Which was weird because they purposely went out of their way to say that Chloe was wearing her old outfit and then showed her wearing her Wallace Cup outfit with Dawn, so I had assumed she was still doing regular Contests.
It’s possible May just switched between the 2 types during her time in offscreen land and when she started doing Contest Spectaculars she obtained the ORAS outfit.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
My guess is that regular Contests aren’t so much retconned but rather they’ve just expanded to have a different type added to them than just the traditional ones (Contest Spectaculars). But because the anime has been largely allergic to having any female character not named Iris be remotely considered normal battlers since BW, the writers probably don’t see a point in making the clarification since they wouldn’t have Dawn or May do contest battles.
Its probably like gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics. Or Rugby Sevens and Rugby Union. They're different flavors of the same sport.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Did Cilan ever have a goal though?
Like sure, we know S ranked connoisseurs exist, and Cilan is A ranked, but did he ever even express a desire of getting ranked up and all?
He just seemed to be a guy who vibed and had connoisseur as an occupation
I'd still like to see him S ranked as progression, but it wasn't really his goal or something needed to provide his character resolution tbh