• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 384931

Everyone has his/her opinion on the "how to handle a return in a good way matter". I mean it is normal that Goh or Chloe will spent time with the previous companions. It has always been that way.

However, in my opinion, the returns seem less meaningful in my opinion. They follow eachother TOO fast (Iris-Gary-Dawn in 11 episodes) to catch a breath and process what happend. And while they add some "storyline" to Gou and Koharu, I feel like it is meaningless sometimes and doesnt leave a big impression to me like Korinna's return.

I also find it normal that the past companions have some time with Satoshi. Does not have to be LONG, but it has to be meaninful for both Satoshi and the returning character.

Tho I am very very happy we get such a chance with all the companions. Who knows when will be next time we will see them all again?

If I had to choose, every protagonist of Journeys (aka Gou and Satoshi) would get one episode with said companion. Fair is fair. But sadly there isnt enough time for that. So we can complain all we want for not having enough time with said companion (Dawn and Satoshi are bffs, that is why it bothers me so much in this case). However in the end, I am very grateful for what we got.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I really wonder why people is so deadset on this mindset of "ya no like 'cause you self insert with Ash".... C'mon guys, people can like and dislike characters for various reasons. Same goes for story handling of cameos and the like. Does our bias regard character x affect how you see character y he or she interacts with? Yes, but I doubt it's more because "I don't like Paul because he treated Ash bad" and more "I think Paul is a big, unlikable jerk".

Sometimes a certain character just doesn't really click with you. It's normal.

UnovaMaster

There is absolutely nothing invalid about the self insert perspective, that's great if you're not part of the 85 percent of Serebiians that are like that

But you aren't going to get any admitting that because that requires self awareness first

No fandom is above it, I've already seen it psychologically happen in live action media

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
It kinda bugs me that past companions have more interaction with Goh/Chloe. I mean May did with Dawn too, but Ash was still there too. Now he feels like an afterthought (except PWC related companions). I mean look at Dawns return in BW and compare it with Journeys.
In the case of Hikari, I didn't mind that Koharu interacted with her while Satoshi wasn't there considering that Satoshi's interactions with Hikari already happened heavily in DP, so there's not much left to gain from them interacting.

LucasMV

Now that we've had so many old characters back, I'd thought I'd make a list of the characters that have returned, in no particular order. Feel free to correct me if I made a mistake or forgot anything.

OS

-Gary
-Chuck
-Lance
-Tracey's mention
-Lt. Surge's mention
-Ash's Bulbasaur, Charizard, Muk, Tauros, Snorlax, Bayleef (both flashback and Oak episode), Totodile, Quilava and Heracross.

AG

-Ash's Corphish and Donphan.

DP

-Dawn
-Paul's flashback (Sinnoh League)
-Ash's Infernape and Buizel

BW

-Iris
-Cilan's flashbacks
-Drayden
-Ash's Krookodile, Oshawott and Pignite.

XY

-Korrina
-Gurkinn
-Ash's Noivern, Talonflame and Hawlucha.

SM

-Kukui
-Burnet
-Baby Lei
-Kiawe
-Suiren
-Mamane
-Mao
-Lillie
-Gladion
-Ash's Lycanroc, Incineroar, Melmetal and Rowlet.

So that leaves AG as the series with the less comebacks/references. We've had main characters return from the OS, DP and BW. An important character from XY, and everyone from SM.

We still haven't had any companions return from XY, AG and OS. From those, we just saw Misty and Brock in SM, but I'm still expecting them to show up at least once before this series is over.

About XY, imo there should be no reason not to bring back either Citron or Serena like they did with Dawn or Iris.

And finally about AG, I'd love to see May back but there's the VA problem everyone is aware of. I'm of the opinion that if they want to make May appear, they'll do it even if it's with a different VA, like they did with Chuck. Ik, a minor character but still sets a precedent. Who knows.

Other than that I'm hoping we get Cynthia show up for the PWC, and I'm sure we'll meet the Alola gang at least once more (not necessarily in the upcoming Alola episode).

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yea as much as I love Ash and Dawn's bond (probably the best in the series), I don't mind that they won't get as much time considering what the writers are going for....which is Dawn and Chloe. It's nice to see Old and new characters interact in that way. The Iris episode featured all interactions with Ash and Iris, as did Korrina episode with Ash and Korrina, while Gary episode had a lot of Ash and Gary as well and we are seeing some Ash and Dawn next episode

DuskAstral

About XY, imo there should be no reason not to bring back either Citron or Serena
1) As for Citron, if it does not participate in the PWC, I cannot imagine what other purpose it could appear for

2) As for Serena, I can see two reasons why she can't come back. The first is that controversial kiss, and the second is that she told Satoshi that when she meets him again, she will be a mature woman (which is too early for that)

Sham

The Guardian of War
1) As for Citron, if it does not participate in the PWC, I cannot imagine what other purpose it could appear for

2) As for Serena, I can see two reasons why she can't come back. The first is that controversial kiss, and the second is that she told Satoshi that when she meets him again, she will be a mature woman (which is too early for that)
Erm yeah keep waiting on the latter option surely it will eventually happen

RafaSceptile

I will not wait for it because the chances for it are zero
That's why the writers can ignore it and in an hypothetical Serena return, focusing on the other aspects of her character that were much more interesting than a one-sided shipping.
Also she has something in common with Chloe, so at least the writers can use that if they decide to return Serena.

D

Deleted member 384931

Ugh not this again. Does Dawn have a "reason" to return? No. Like they said in the interview, JN makes it easier to let old companions return due its setting. Besides Clemont and Serena have just as much right to return like any other companion. Since when does a kiss stop anyone from returning? Serena can help Koharu with her goal, heck she experienced how Koharu felt. We have been discussing this matter about how Serena can return for SIX years.

DuskAstral

Does Dawn have a "reason" to return?
Of course she did. After all, new games are set to take place in Sinnoh, so her return is promoting them
Since when does a kiss stop anyone from returning?
Mainly because when it comes to romantic threads, the plot requires the boy to reciprocate when they meet again, and yet Armor Shipping is one-sided

D

Deleted member 384931

Of course she did. After all, new games are set to take place in Sinnoh, so her return is promoting the games.
Mainly because when it comes to romantic threads, the plot requires the boy to reciprocate when they meet again, and yet Armor Shipping is one-sided
Gary? Korrina?
I am not even going to discuss the reasons why you are wrong. The director said there is a chance they will become a couple in the future.

RafaSceptile

Lets just drop the subject about Serena shall we? I feel if we gonna discuss this any further, the thread will get locked again and I dont want that to happen.
Fair, anyways I hope she gets an appearence later in the series. Literally anyone but the XY cast has returned somewhere in the past or in the current series, and even when they are not my favorites, it still feels a bit unfair.

D

Deleted member 384931

Fair, anyways I hope she gets an appearence later in the series. Literally anyone but the XY cast has returned somewhere in the past or in the current series, and even when they are not my favorites, it still feels a bit unfair.
I just find it weird tbh.
Now how are they going to fix Mays appearance? Just a cameo, a new VA (unlikely) or not appearing at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.