• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
As I've said before, I think every traveling companion Ash has ever had will appear in this series. Next year, the anime is turning 25 years old, so having them all would be a good way to celebrate. So far, we have most of the Alola gang, and now we have Iris. I'm willing to bet Serena is next.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dawn comes next, either instead of Serena or alongside her. She was definitely a more popular character (I prefer May overall, but thats unlikely to happen) and if the rumours are true about a remake, then it would make sense. They could also opt to bring back Misty and Brock before either Dawn OR Serena, since its the 25th anniversary and they are the original money makers for the anime..

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I think this series is in a kind of weird position where they are trying to cater to old fans and youngsters at the same time. They probably want to delve deep into continuity but can't because that would confuse the newer audience and as a result it ends up satisfying nobody.
I feel the the show is 100% mostly aimed at kids. Old character cameos are nice but never give off the impression of the adult fans being a main or even half priority. A few Easter eggs here and there but not anything heavy. That’s what the Mewtwo episode was probably for, but at the heart of it I never felt it was trying to grab adult audiences as equals to the kids.
It is somehow hilarious to me that after so many people wanted Serena, or Hikari, or Kasumi, or Haruka...

Before all of them we get IRIS, who always struck me as being the least popular heroine.
I wanted Iris and a few other characters to return; I just never got the point in making twenty tweets, post or tiktoks about it like the writers are genies who will read them and make it happen. It’s like the energy of me asking for a capture for Satoshi and posting it every other day in. Feels unnecessary?

She’s trending #2 on Twitter right now actually so apparently people care.

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
All I can say is...

Gary Oak returns! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! :D And Iris too!

Okay, time for a little fun speculation! ;) My first and foremost guess of how Gary returns is during a good old Pallet town episode. It could be Ash, Goh, and maybe Chloe too visits Professor Oak's lab for a research assignment. That is where they might run into Gary as he would be back for a visit. At this point, Gary could also state that he will be participating in the world coronation series, which I think he very likely might. I doubt Ash and the others would run into Gary in Sinnoh even though that was the last place where we last saw him. It's been such a long time, he's probably long gone from Sinnoh by now lol.

Okay, on to Iris! Hmm... this will be hard for me to speculate. I haven't really watched the BW series. Just bits and pieces, so I don't really know an awful lot about Iris's character. Just that she has a Axew and an Emolga, desires to be a dragon master, calls Ash a kid, and yeah...

Ash and the others might run into her in Unova, where she's from. That would be my first guess or wherever she decided to travel to? I forget where.

Ash would probably be ecstatic to see either of these characters, as he hadn't seen them in such a long time! The same with Gary / Iris seeing Ash.

Anyway, anyone's guess is good! It's fun speculating even if I would be way off which is likely lol.

Last edited:

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Grary, bro! Welcome to the party!

So, Iris? How'd it go with Gible? And Rayquayza? Did you and Dargonite ever patch things up, or is he disobeying you AGIAN?

Jeez, Korrina. You ALREADY hold the record for Most Appearances by a Non-Compantion Gym Leader that no one will ever be able to break. How many more episode do you need?

Seeing a bunch of people on twitter combing through the end of the op looking for returning characters like it isn't just cut out characters and pokemon from previous episodes in the series lol

It DOES make a little curious if Lance is coming back again...:confused:

Imagine Iris beating Alder and becoming Unova Champion and top 8 in PWT

Oh, the way battles went in Isshu, it don't take much imagining. ;)

Yes please, along with Lady Lillie and her op Snowy :D

Especially if she ever uses that Ice Stone...;)
(She'd be every dragon's worst nightmare)

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
As I've said before, I think every traveling companion Ash has ever had will appear in this series. Next year, the anime is turning 25 years old, so having them all would be a good way to celebrate. So far, we have most of the Alola gang, and now we have Iris. I'm willing to bet Serena is next.
I'm kind of hoping serena doesn't return ( and by that i mean meet ash face-to-face ) because that would ruin the almost perfect closure she got in XYZ.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Jeez, Korrina. You ALREADY hold the record for Most Appearances by a Non-Compantion Gym Leader that no one will ever be able to break. How many more episode do you need?
Imma be honest, I only want her to reappear again if it's going to be related to having Ash own a Key Stone and finally use Mega Evolution.

Morax

King of heroes
I feel the the show is 100% mostly aimed at kids. Old character cameos are nice but never give off the impression of the adult fans being a main or even half priority. A few Easter eggs here and there but not anything heavy. That’s what the Mewtwo episode was probably for, but at the heart of it I never felt it was trying to grab adult audiences as equals to the kids
If older fans are not a part of the equation then who are the cameos for? It doesn't make sense to introduce old characters to children since they wouldn't care. Sounds like a waste of time and resources.

Oh look, more potential to squander....

Returns were expected after that one interview. I don't know how Iris's Japanese VA sounds like, but I hope to god it isn't anything similar to the BW Iris's dub voice.

Honestly, I think the staff at the anime are just afraid of touching Serena at this point lmao. Could be wrong.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
IDK where else to put it, but tbh this is my least favorite version of 1,2,3 in terms of the song. The original is still the best IMO

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Well, after seeing the recent PM opening, I guess Gary & Iris cameos are good news for their fans.

As for me, I'm not that excited especially on how the show delivered things for all these years and my fanfics already got me covered what I wanted. But I'm still curious on what they would do to these characters when they show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.