• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I guess. I just listed the ones that were present pre-BW, back when continuity wasn't a sin. Omode would probably handle the eventual Serena return.
Tbh, more than Omode writing I hope Yajima gets to direct a possible Serena return, since Daiki got to direct the Alola episode. I also hope Yuyama gets to direct Gary's

Leonhart

Imagineer
ShinyCharyZard said:
The ideal scenario would be for Ash to lose against Wilkstrom with his current team and realise that he needs to mix in some of his more experienced Pokemon in the later rounds of the PWC if he ever wants to beat Leon..

I know that most people want this to happen, and while I think it definitely should in the later rounds of the World Championship, I think that him making the decision now would be a bit premature. This seems like the sort of lesson that he wouldn't have to learn anyway since it seems like a common sense sort of thing that shouldn't require a dramatic revelation on Satoshi's part.

LucasMV

Mmmh ..I think she only appeared because is part of Ash's past in Journeys

But then the Alola gang should still appear in the OP, and they don't. I think the visuals change to show the characters and Pokemon that will play a role in the upcoming episodes. That's how it's been so far.
So, I'm pretty sure that Grookey, Iris, Gary, Korrina, the already confirmed Suicune episode and the road trip with Leon, will all happen in the next 15 episodes or so.

I know that most people want this to happen, and while I think it definitely should in the later rounds of the World Championship, I think that him making the decision now would be a bit premature. This seems like the sort of lesson that he wouldn't have to learn anyway since it seems like a common sense sort of thing that shouldn't require a dramatic revelation on Satoshi's part.

Totally agree. There's no need for a revelation of sorts for Ash to realize he has to bring reserves. It just has to happen organically, that he starts calling them once he reaches the Ultra Class and starts battling tougher opponents.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Pretty sure they'll bring yajima back for that. He's the one who wrote her farewell episode, he knows how to handle her best.

I think it was Tomioko who wrote the episode. Yajima's wording in the interview made it look like they collaborated for the episode.

And Korrina's arc.

An arc dedicated to explaining Mega Evolution which is the main gimmick of the generation. Showing fully well how different pokemon are affected by ME and how it's not everybody's mother who gets them. Serves to show how the trust between trainers and Pokemon and how it grants them access to a greater power. Which has always been the theme of Pokemon. All while fleshing out the personality of a gym leader rather than making her a battle bot just to give Ash a badge.

Why do people even call it bad ? Because she had a Lucario ?

But then the Alola gang should still appear in the OP, and they don't. I think the visuals change to show the characters and Pokemon that will play a role in the upcoming episodes. That's how it's been so far.
So, I'm pretty sure that Grookey, Iris, Gary, Korrina, the already confirmed Suicune episode and the road trip with Leon, will all happen in the next 15 episodes or so

They do actually. The last shot showed almost all the important characters that appeared in Journey till now. And I saw Kukui in it. Also, there was a picture highlighting Mallow in the frame, but I never took the time to confirm it myself.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
An arc dedicated to explaining Mega Evolution which is the main gimmick of the generation. Showing fully well how different pokemon are affected by ME and how it's not everybody's mother who gets them. Serves to show how the trust between trainers and Pokemon and how it grants them access to a greater power. Which has always been the theme of Pokemon. All while fleshing out the personality of a gym leader rather than making her a battle bot just to give Ash a badge.

Why do people even call it bad ? Because she had a Lucario ?
Remove Ash and co.

Presto.

Nothing of value was lost in the arc.

Hell, disturbingly enough, TRio was more helpful than them!

They just stretched the runtime. It didn't help the group was allergic to Mega Evolution that it didn't use it once so why learn about a very ingrained mechanic they won't bother to use themselves (seriously, even freaking Trevor got to it)? It wasn't like there was an inherent weakness for Ash to exploit. It was a simple friendship thing they ran with to the extreme and mixing it up with weird issues like implying Lucario's aura was making it go wild, but the arc hardly was about dealing with it but rather Korrina's reckless blood knight attitude somehow causing her canine to go mad with power (that or he was simply a sore loser for not even landing a good hit). Then the Mega Audino episode happened and...well, what do we believe anymore?

Just imagine Ash never using Z-Moves at Alola, despite saying all the time, "Wow, that's so cool!"

Last edited:

LucasMV

They do actually. The last shot showed almost all the important characters that appeared in Journey till now. And I saw Kukui in it. Also, there was a picture highlighting Mallow in the frame, but I never took the time to confirm it myself.

I know, I saw Kukui there too. But I meant that they're not highlighted nor have a moment dedicated to them alone in he OP, unlike before or unlike Iris and Gary now, for instance.

Morax

King of heroes
Remove Ash and co.

Presto.

Hell, disturbingly enough, TRio was more helpful than them!

They just stretched the runtime. It didn't help the group was allergic to Mega Evolution that it didn't use it once so why learn about a very ingrained mechanic they won't bother to use themselves (seriously, even freaking Trevor got to it)? It wasn't like there was an inherent weakness for Ash to exploit. It was a simple friendship thing they ran with to the extreme and mixing it up with weird issues like implying Lucario's aura was making it go wild, but the arc hardly was about dealing with it but rather Korrina's reckless blood knight attitude somehow causing her canine to go mad with power (that or he was simply a sore loser for not even landing a good hit). Then the Mega Audino episode happened and...well, what do we believe anymore?

Just imagine Ash never using Z-Moves at Alola, despite saying all the time, "Wow, that's so cool!"
What's your opinion on pikashunium Z? Ash got it exactly when the plot demanded. He didn't even get a training arc or something. There was no struggle or conflict involved, the literal definition of a deus ex machina but the only reason people ignore that is because it helped ash win.

D

Deleted member 384931

The ideal scenario would be for Ash to lose against Wilkstrom with his current team and realise that he needs to mix in some of his more experienced Pokemon in the later rounds of the PWC if he ever wants to beat Leon..
Dont count on that (yet)

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Remove Ash and co.

Presto.

Uh.. No. You can't show the strength of Mega Lucario and connect it to the gym battle without Pikachu being brutalized. It only gives Ash and Pikachu a better motivation to win. You can't remove Clemont and Korrina talking to each other.

They just stretched the runtime. It didn't help the group was allergic to Mega Evolution that it didn't use it once so why learn about a very ingrained mechanic they won't bother to use themselves (seriously, even freaking Trevor got to it)?

Because it is the regional gimmick. Not explaining it is bad writing. And Ash had a substitute for mega evolution which was even better done than mega evolutions.

It wasn't like there was an inherent weakness for Ash to exploit. It was a simple friendship thing they ran with to the extreme and mixing it up with weird issues like implying Lucario's aura was making it go wild, but the arc hardly was about dealing with it but rather Korrina's reckless blood knight attitude somehow causing her canine to go mad with power (that or he was simply a sore loser for not even landing a good hit). Then the Mega Audino episode happened and...well, what do we believe anymore?

Lucario was becoming enraged because he had never experienced such power before. It's expected. It has been done many times in other pieces of media without any complain from the audience.

As for the italicised part, remember when Korrina said Lucario was waiting for her. She specifically wanted to help Lucario with his rage. Mega Evolution is possible successfully only when the Pokemon is bonded with the trainer. Korrina began to doubt herself and her experiences with Lucario. Then she worked to achieve ME and did it successfully with Lucario. You cannot ignore all that and say she didn't anything for Lucario's zombie mode.

As for the bolded part, I already said that it showcased how ME works for different Pokemon. Mega Audino is not the same as Mega Lucario. Lucario is shown to be a naturally aggressive species in the anime. While Audino was always shown with Nurse Joy and has never been shown to be rash. Also, nothing implied that Mega Audino had a powerful boost similar to Lucario.

I would very much prefer if Ash didn't won his limelight battle in Alola with a cheap DEM that he never worked for. So, anything would be better than that.

Look, this was the first time Ash was going to fight against ME. There needs to be a damn good motivation for Ash to win. Remove the arc and Korrina becomes the umpteenth hyperactive kid and the gym battle becomes another random battle that was just cool animations. They need to size up Lucario. They need to show how dangerous ME is in the wrong hands. They need to show how the bond between a trainer and Pokemon is of paramount importance when talking about ME. If mega lucario was a random mon with no feats, then the gym battle fails to deliver as the first Mega Evolution fight. Without getting thrashed, there is no narrative importance of the fight between Pikachu and Mega Lucario. I have been very disturbed with how gimmicks have been handled in the current series and previous series. All things considered, we were lucky to even get such an arc.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think it was Tomioko who wrote the episode. Yajima's wording in the interview made it look like they collaborated for the episode.

Tomioka wrote and Yajima directed if I recall correctly.

Anyway, saying it was a Yajima thing isn't really wrong as since he was the director back then, he was the one calling the shots. Tomioka just translated his intents into a scripted form, long enough to fill an episode's running time

Soniman

Break the Limit
Uh.. No. You can't show the strength of Mega Lucario and connect it to the gym battle without Pikachu being brutalized. It only gives Ash and Pikachu a better motivation to win. You can't remove Clemont and Korrina talking to each other.

Because it is the regional gimmick. Not explaining it is bad writing. And Ash had a substitute for mega evolution which was even better done than mega evolutions.

Lucario was becoming enraged because he had never experienced such power before. It's expected. It has been done many times in other pieces of media without any complain from the audience.

As for the italicised part, remember when Korrina said Lucario was waiting for her. She specifically wanted to help Lucario with his rage. Mega Evolution is possible successfully only when the Pokemon is bonded with the trainer. Korrina began to doubt herself and her experiences with Lucario. Then she worked to achieve ME and did it successfully with Lucario. You cannot ignore all that and say she didn't anything for Lucario's zombie mode.

As for the bolded part, I already said that it showcased how ME works for different Pokemon. Mega Audino is not the same as Mega Lucario. Lucario is shown to be a naturally aggressive species in the anime. While Audino was always shown with Nurse Joy and has never been shown to be rash. Also, nothing implied that Mega Audino had a powerful boost similar to Lucario.

I would very much prefer if Ash didn't won his limelight battle in Alola with a cheap DEM that he never worked for. So, anything would be better than that.

Look, this was the first time Ash was going to fight against ME. There needs to be a damn good motivation for Ash to win. Remove the arc and Korrina becomes the umpteenth hyperactive kid and the gym battle becomes another random battle that was just cool animations. They need to size up Lucario. They need to show how dangerous ME is in the wrong hands. They need to show how the bond between a trainer and Pokemon is of paramount importance when talking about ME. If mega lucario was a random mon with no feats, then the gym battle fails to deliver as the first Mega Evolution fight. Without getting thrashed, there is no narrative importance of the fight between Pikachu and Mega Lucario. I have been very disturbed with how gimmicks have been handled in the current series and previous series. All things considered, we were lucky to even get such an arc.
All of this. The fact people insist this arc should've not happened for one of XY's most important aspects never made sense to me. It was good to have that build up and obviously it had long lasting effects since they still think it's worth bringing back Korrina because of it

Last edited:

Jangobadass

Surprise!
Serena's goal doesn't involve competitive battling.

Hers' is dirtier ;)

All of this. The fact people insist this arc should've not happened for one of XY's most important aspects never made sense to me. It was good to have that build up and obviously it had long last effects of they still think it's worth bringing back Korrina because of it

Here, here! I see people hate on the Korrina arc, but for the life of can't understand their complaints. Heck, seeing Ash as someone else's tagalong is a rare treat for me :D

And the more episodes a non-companion Gym Leader gets, the better!

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
What's your opinion on pikashunium Z? Ash got it exactly when the plot demanded. He didn't even get a training arc or something. There was no struggle or conflict involved, the literal definition of a deus ex machina but the only reason people ignore that is because it helped ash win.
That only gets a free pass because it literally exists because of Ash and Pikachu.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Tomioka wrote and Yajima directed if I recall correctly.

Anyway, saying it was a Yajima thing isn't really wrong as since he was the director back then, he was the one calling the shots. Tomioka just translated his intents into a scripted form, long enough to fill an episode's running time

Building off of this, I suggest people watch SHIROBAKO. It's a pretty good show of how most anime productions works and it's up on Crunchyroll. It's hilarious and will make you cry.

NPT

Just a member
So Iris is coming back? Well, that's fine and all... but I hope they tone down her "you're such a kid" shtick. It was overdone in BW and I don't want any more of that in PM2019.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Which is why we're always treated to a first episode of introductions, then the gym battle.

Buuuuuuuuut instead we got a whole arc of an introduction because Korrina sucked despite winning so much.

Dude, we all saw that replacement for Mega Evolution. They couldn't even give it a believable backstory. Even the village of its origin didn't have an original name. And that's without getting to its pathetic losing streak against a certain dragon!

Also, you forget Serena and Clemont were things. Those two could have gotten Mega Evolution, but they surely weren't given any because the writing team really wanted to sell the idea Ash was the hero.

Girl has a Pokemon that evolves through high friendship. If she faced all these difficulties, she just sucked, or things just got really weird that an arc had to be used. Also, for a Pokemon unable to control that much power...the gym battle sure looked way too tame. Like, where did all this power go? It didn't help TRio had to show up and take off time from the gym battle.

And let's not brush off Mega Audino so easily. We were told having a strong bond is needed to Mega Evolve, but in that instance, Joy and Audino were absolutely this close to wringing each other's necks until TRio showed up and just one small moment of heartbreak that had absolutely no implications of existing prior was enough for them to be in complete sync. I really can't fathom how they got it so easy with no training while Korrina progressed so well...and yet she got the short end of the stick.

So then what do we make of Sawyer and his Mega Sceptile? That thing wasn't shown doing any sort of training and yet Sawyer had almost no time to perfect it between Wulfric's battle and the league. I know he was often said to be some sort of prodigy, but seriously, the guy suddenly goes Wally in very little time.

The exclusive Z-Crystal he obtained literally exists just for him. It was his creation. Which is why all the Pikachu with anime hats can use the move.

For something that is allegedly dangerous, all we got was Pikachu getting punted and a jackal roaring incoherently. Show me the beast destroying a whole house.

And for when they finally mastered the transformation, really, I didn't get the feeling it was so strong. Getting rid of TRio as a solution is hardly wow material.

The execution was overall poor once the big picture of all instances of Mega Evolution are shown. I really wanted Serena to have the mechanic if Ash didn't bother with it somehow.

*claps hands*

Anyhow! I won't budge from these thoughts. Now let's see if they don't do a repeat of Korrina's arc with Ash's Lucario, if it's given Mega Evolution. (If so, dear god, I fear the spotlight-hogging.)

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Which is why we're always treated to a first episode of introductions, then the gym battle.

Buuuuuuuuut instead we got a whole arc of an introduction because Korrina sucked despite winning so much.

Which is what I'm saying. You can't do the simple one introduction episode for the first time Ash is fighting ME. It needs to have an impact. It isn't a simple gym leader introduction. It's a ME introduction that has to show :-

• How Mega Evolution works.
  • How do people acces Mega Evolution
  • What are it's drawback.
  • That it isn't an insta win button.
Like I said, a single episode doesn't work.

that's without getting to its pathetic losing streak against a certain dragon!

That certain dragon can take a bullet to the face and still clean house. Don't know any of Ash's Pokemon who will win against him.

Also, you forget Serena and Clemont were things. Those two could have gotten Mega Evolution, but they surely weren't given any because the writing team really wanted to sell the idea Ash was the hero.

There was no need for Serena to get a mega evolution as her goal doesn't include battling. And the only time ME was useful for something similar to her goal was in ORAS contests. Anime Contests are very different and Serena does showcases, which are less well written version of those.

Clemont, I agree with. I wanted him to get Mega Manectric. Maybe they thought the species already had enough exposure with Jenny. I don't fully know.

Girl has a Pokemon that evolves through high friendship. If she faced all these difficulties, she just sucked, or things just got really weird that an arc had to be used. Also, for a Pokemon unable to control that much power...the gym battle sure looked way too tame. Like, where did all this power go? It didn't help TRio had to show up and take off time from the gym battle.

Why would he go to his Zombie mode when he has it under control ? If he is under control,then of course it will look tame.

Lucario can fully well throw Pikachu through the ceiling. Only if Ash is a scrub who doesn't tell his little rat to do anything and just stand there.

And let's not brush off Mega Audino so easily. We were told having a strong bond is needed to Mega Evolve, but in that instance, Joy and Audino were absolutely this close to wringing each other's necks until TRio showed up and just one small moment of heartbreak that had absolutely no implications of existing prior was enough for them to be in complete sync. I really can't fathom how they got it so easy with no training while Korrina progressed so well...and yet she got the short end of the stick.

I'm not brushing it off easily. It is what was shown in the show. Audino's are never shown to be bunker busting. Every Lucario we have had in the anime has been a fighter.

Also, IIRC Nurse Joy and Audino were actively looking for a stone. It's not like they can across it by chance. Sycamore just helped them.

So then what do we make of Sawyer and his Mega Sceptile? That thing wasn't shown doing any sort of training and yet Sawyer had almost no time to perfect it between Wulfric's battle and the league. I know he was often said to be some sort of prodigy, but seriously, the guy suddenly goes Wally in very little time.

Well, Korrina also technically did it it one the span of one gym. But I also have my problems with the pacing of Sawyer's growth so I can't say I disagree strongly with this take.

The exclusive Z-Crystal he obtained literally exists just for him. It was his creation. Which is why all the Pikachu with anime hats can use the move.

Even worse. Never worked for it and got it for free and only he has a freebie power up.

For something that is allegedly dangerous, all we got was Pikachu getting punted and a jackal roaring incoherently. Show me the beast destroying a whole house.

Ash was a goner if not for Gurkinn. How is it not violent and dangerous when he is going all apex predator that sees nothing aside from his prey ?

And for when they finally mastered the transformation, really, I didn't get the feeling it was so strong. Getting rid of TRio as a solution is hardly wow material.

Again, he was looking weak because he was acting tame. He very well may have had the same strength, even more due to the succesful evolution, but it looks less scary because .. well no red eyes or murderous intentions.

I won't budge from these thoughts.

As you say. Sorry to bore you with this. No need to stress it further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.