• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I never said Sarah stole the role. She just took it because it was empty after Vero got the boot.

Imagine having your seat taken, but then the ones who took it place someone else on it. That someone then goes "eh" and continues the work like nothing happened.
I mean a job is a job. Sarah doesn't owe Veronica anything and it's like they were friends or even close prior to Sarah taking the role. If Sarah didn't take it, someone else would have.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I don't know you, but losing your job out of the blue without prior warning is by no means something to let slide even after years.

Also, it's almost unheard of to see people complain directly to Sarah about her takeover because it's been too long now and she's got fans that didn't experience those days...plus, it's not just about how the show replaced VAs, but more about all the things that failed to keep in quality over the years.
I never said Sarah stole the role. She just took it because it was empty after Vero got the boot.

Imagine having your seat taken, but then the ones who took it place someone else on it. That someone then goes "eh" and continues the work like nothing happened.
You make literally no sense whatsoever and are trying to implicate Sarah in a negative light when she doesn't deserve that at all. First with your shamelessly comment and then saying Sarah be like 'eh' and taking over. Veronica was fired by TPCI, Sarah doesn't factor into the decision at all. She was young and offered a major role, OBVIOUSLY she's gonna take it. She's shown respect to Veronica in the past as well.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Replace a popular VA is always a hard thing for the person who is replacing. I still remember what happened in my country's dub where Ash's VA was replaced pre-XYZ despite doing the character non-stop for over 18-19 years. I remember his replacement doing a video where he explains the whole ordeal and there was even followers of him pointing how tense he looked since it was a popular and iconic character as well as one of the few examples of consistency as far as dubs here go.

I think we shouldn't be too hard on neither side: old VA or new/current VA. At the end of the day, voice acting is a BUSINESS and sometimes price, avaliability or even the whims of the executives in charge of requesting the dub are what causes changes.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Replace a popular VA is always a hard thing for the person who is replacing. I still remember what happened in my country's dub where Ash's VA was replaced pre-XYZ despite doing the character non-stop for over 18-19 years. I remember his replacement doing a video where he explains the whole ordeal and there was even followers of him pointing how tense he looked since it was a popular and iconic character as well as one of the few examples of consistency as far as dubs here go.

I think we shouldn't be too hard on neither side: old VA or new/current VA. At the end of the day, voice acting is a BUSINESS and sometimes price, avaliability or even the whims of the executives in charge of requesting the dub are what causes changes.
Wait a minute, please tell me you're not talking about the Latin American VA. He is awesome as Mexican Ash.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Wait a minute, please tell me you're not talking about the Latin American VA. He is awesome as Mexican Ash.

No idea who you are talking about. I'm refering to my country (Brazil) so I suppose we are talking about completly different people who just happen to share a certain anime role.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jangobadass said:
Sorry, but I get the feeling we'll NEVER hear from them again. Shoot, the very reason they were created was thrown out the window... o_O

I don't think they were particularly popular anyway, at least judging from how they were handled in DP since their only appearance there felt contrived and ended up being pointless in the grand scheme of things. It seemed like even the writers didn't care for them much.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
So now that we are aware that Chuck and possibly Gary have new voice actors can we drop the theory that May is trapped in Johto prison because of her voice actresses?
Unless/Until Gary's VA has been confirmed to be replaced then not exactly.

Sham

The Guardian of War
So now that we are aware that Chuck and possibly Gary have new voice actors can we drop the theory that May is trapped in Johto prison because of her voice actresses?
Unless/Until Gary's VA has been confirmed to be replaced then not exactly.
Yeah I realize the argument is heavily dependent on Gary being recasted. The notion that his VA had to find out through the opening he's returning should say something especially since VA's need to be alerted ahead of time to prepare and fill out contracts before voicing a role.

Red and Blue

With the potential Crown Tundra episode/s it will be a huge missed opportunity (another one) if they really don't bring back Brandon for the Regi-related stuff. Especially considering that Yonemura (who is now the chief writer) handled his episodes back in the day. But seeing how he treated continuity in this series, I don't trust him.
There has been plenty of continuity in the series though. If they can bring back Korrina and Chuck they can do the same for Brandon

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
There has been plenty of continuity in the series though. If they can bring back Korrina and Chuck they can do the same for Brandon
I didn't say that. I said that I don't like how Yonemura treated continuity in his episodes. Mewtwo comes to mind. Tomioka, on the other hand, who wrote the episodes you mentioned, is better.

They could literally bring back Brandon and just have a "it's been a long time" from Ash and that's it. And if that's all they have to do, I'd rather not see the character.

Red and Blue

I didn't say that. I said that I don't like how Yonemura treated continuity in his episodes. Mewtwo comes to mind. Tomioka, on the other hand, who wrote the episodes you mentioned, is better.

They could literally bring back Brandon and just have a "it's been a long time" from Ash and that's it. And if that's all they have to do, I'd rather not see the character.

Maybe Yonemura can surprise us and have Brandon remember Ash unlike Mewtwo. I've wanted him to be one of Ash's opponents in the PWC

BobbbidyBob

Maybe Yonemura can surprise us and have Brandon remember Ash unlike Mewtwo. I've wanted him to be one of Ash's opponents in the PWC
They just wanted to keep Mewtwo a jerk. It’s his thing

LucasMV

Unfortunately Ash's original Latin American VA was replaced from BW onwards. That's the main reason I started to watch the anime in Japanese ever since. At this point I'm used to (and happy with) Ash's japanese voice.
But I can see why changing a character's VA really hurts the character for the people already used to a certain VA. It shouldn't be done unless there's no other way, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.