• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

I doubt he'll go back into rival mode since his rivalry with Satoshi ended in Jouto, and he had a new goal the last time we saw him in DP. I don't mind if he battles Satoshi once for old time's sake and to showcase Kyodaimax Kamex, but I don't like the idea of him becoming a rival again.

Except the official Twitter account is literally teasing him being Ash’s rival again.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Except the official Twitter account is literally teasing him being Ash’s rival again.

which i don't mind but i'm just hoping they don't completely retcon him out of being a researcher completely, it's fine for him to do battels on the side, and he did still show some rival like characteristics towards Ash when he appeared during sinnoh.

you know seeing older characters come back makes me hope for something

Barry and Bianca appear in an episode at the same time and run towards Ash, but he dives out of the way at the last second, and they hit each other instead of him.

if Serena and Dawn return, maybe it could be at the same time to showcase contest's briefly for Chloe, opening her up more to the pokemon world.

AJ97

Even if Gary is a researcher, there is no reason why he can’t be a competent and powerful trainer.
He defeated Post Battle Frontier Ash despite being out or competitive battling while Ash took part in the Hoenn league and defeated the battle frontier.

Also, Alain was also a Pokemon researcher who ended up training his Charizard up to elite four tier.

Gary was always considered to be a prodigy and a very competent trainer. And now with his experience as a researcher could have made him an even better trainer.

I mean, even Ash is supposed to be a “Pokemon research assistant” of sorts. So..

Red and Blue

Knowing how he used to be one step ahead of Ash I wouldn't be surprised if he already made it into Ultra Class by the time they meet again

I never liked the idea of Gary being a Researcher in the first place since I'd rather see him take over Viridian City Gym just like his Game Counterpart did.

But I suppose Gary being a Researcher here seems fitting since Ash and Gou are now too.
He knew a little too much about Pokemon to not be a researcher. Maybe being Oak's grandson helps.

I think he is here just to showcase G-Max Blastoise. I am more interested in Iris' cameo. Go's development has pretty much fixed the problems people had with Iris. Let's see what Ash' fans will say now.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So, Gary is the first rival to appear in four different series, and Iris is the antepenultimate pokegirl to reappear in a future series (Serena and Bonnie still waiting)
Now Serena is officialy the only girl without a return... :(
Bonnie: Am I a joke to you?

Lillie? Do you guys count just flashbacks as acceptable or what?

Jeez, Korrina. You ALREADY hold the record for Most Appearances by a Non-Compantion Gym Leader that no one will ever be able to break. How many more episode do you need?

I think she's becoming the secondary rival (main rival Bea) like Barry, Bianca, Tierno, and Kiawe. In that case, she'll definitely appear a lot more.

Just like Barry lost to Paul, Bianca lost to Cameron, Tierno lost to Sawyer, and Kiawe lost to Gladion, she will lose to Bea in the Masters 8. I'm calling it now. Screenshot this and send it back to me late summer/fall of next year!!!!!!!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm really happy we are getting Iris back. Will make sure to enjoy every single second she is on screen.

I guess I'll celebrate her return by making her Masters counterpart EX. Just need to decide wether to do it right now or wait until her return.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Almighty Zard said:
which i don't mind but i'm just hoping they don't completely retcon him out of being a researcher completely, it's fine for him to do battels on the side, and he did still show some rival like characteristics towards Ash when he appeared during sinnoh.

I think my main issue with the idea of him becoming a full-time rival again is that I don't think it's realistic for him to juggle two hobbies at once. There's a difference between battling occasionally like he did in DP when he had no other choice, and battling competitively in the World Championships.

Red and Blue

I think my main issue with the idea of him becoming a full-time rival again is that I don't think it's realistic for him to juggle two hobbies at once. There's a difference between battling occasionally like he did in DP when he had no other choice, and battling competitively in the World Championships.
If Ash can be both a research assistant and PWC competitor then why can't Gary?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
About damn time that Gary returns! All this Kanto propaganda since XY and it took this long for him to show up! I hope he gets to utilize Mega Blastoise and G-Max Blastoise! :D
I do hope they give him a new Pokemon as well similar to Electivre for DP cause seeing old characters pop up with the exact same Pokemon just gets boring. Give him an Unova -> Galar Pokemon, do what they failed to do with Brock and Misty!

Iris, meh. I know Dawn will show up, she's the most popular and they're likely saving her for the DP remakes along with confirmation of Cynthia's obvious top 8 placement. This does confirm that at least we can see characters return without having the other companions tacked on which is nice cause I'd really rather have Brock in an episode without Misty and individual episodes with the SM companions instead of them being crammed together! Though I do want at least one episode with Ash, Brock and Dawn all together to relive the good days! Hopefully we can still see Cilan, he and Ash need that rematch against the Subway bros!

Also notice that Iris is holding a Pokeball and no Axew in sight.... please have evolved it! Give her Dragalge too cause that Pokemon basically went into limbo after debuting...

And Korrina's still relevant, hell yeah! Ash getting a Mega Ring still looking good!

Oh and Wikstrom is nice, he was always my favorite of the Kalos Elite Four cause he's a freaking knight! I was actually hoping that we could see the Elite Four members they passed up, especially since unlike the Kanto and Sinnoh sets that were finished... they aren't tied down by VAs! Hopefully we can see Grimsley too, I always liked him and he sure seemed like a 'fan favorite' enough to stuff into the SM games over N or anyone actually relevant to the Unova story lol
Also Ash gets to beat an Elite Four member before beating Lance/Leon which is what I'd been hoping for! They'd have been skipping a major step of progression if they didn't do this and it helps Ash's possible win sit better knowing that he'll have beaten at least one E4 member!

Still holding out hope for Brandon and Paul returns!

Jangobadass

Surprise!
Lillie? Do you guys count just flashbacks as acceptable or what?

Especially when it's a flashback of decent lenght and depth.

I'm hopeful they'll get back to that storyline since they went a good distance with that scene...

I think she's becoming the secondary rival (main rival Bea) like Barry, Bianca, Tierno, and Kiawe. In that case, she'll definitely appear a lot more.

Just like Barry lost to Paul, Bianca lost to Cameron, Tierno lost to Sawyer, and Kiawe lost to Gladion, she will lose to Bea in the Masters 8. I'm calling it now. Screenshot this and send it back to me late summer/fall of next year!!!!!!!

Uh, actually, Korrina ALREADy fought Bea and lost to her quickly (shown in a flashback in PM34)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Red and Blue said:

Shigeru's position isn't quite the same as Satoshi's: Shigeru was much more like a stereotypical researcher than Satoshi is given that Shigeru's entire goal after Jouto was to become a bona fide researcher in the same vein as Okido-hakase. Satoshi's title itself is almost honorary anyway since his idea of "research" isn't as practical or realistic as Shigeru's.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

nobody's saying that he can't, I just don't want him to throw away being a researcher out of no where when the writers put him on that path in the first place, and unlike Brock who never really did anything with his original goal before switching to a doctor, Gary actually got places in research like reviving fossils and studying the legendary pokemon in sinnoh, if they decided to retcon him back into being a full time trainer then they better have a good reason for it.

Also, I feel like putting him into the ultra tier off the bat if he does partake in the PWC is abit extreme, granted I wouldn't mind him being the trainer Ash has to fight to get into the Ultra tier, but I don't feel like Gary should automatically be that high just because he was Ash's first rival, also Just because he was "steps ahead" in the past doesn't mean that's how things should work now, besides in the end it didn't matter, Ash got further than he did in both leagues they were in so perhaps being ahead isn't all good as it seems.

The only rivals who should be in the ultra tier if they return, are Paul and Alain because we know how strong they are, and unlike Gary who's offscreen activity is questionable due to him being having transistioned into a researcher, these two are trainers to the core who know what they want to do, and both of them could probably tear Gary apart regardless of what pokemon he had on him.

So I heard you like barbecued Lucario.

Ash isn't bullied as easily as Maylene was.

If Ash battles Paul again, there are three pokemon that Paul has I want Ash to beat, because as insane and crazy their league fight was, I still feel like Ash never truly beat Paul at full power because he didn't topple the following pokemon.

his Torterra
Magmortar
Honchkrow (and no i do not count the pokeringer, since the objective was to get a ring to a goal post, not knock your opponent out)

Especially when it's a flashback of decent lenght and depth.

I'm hopeful they'll get back to that storyline since they went a good distance with that scene...

Me too, I want Ash to get involved when they find their father because it did irk me that this plot wasn't resolved in SM, or that we never saw the pokepelgo either.

Uh, actually, Korrina ALREADy fought Bea and lost to her quickly (shown in a flashback in PM34)

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Korrina trying to get redemption against Bea though.

seeing the rivals appear is one thing, but i'd also like to see them face each other.

For example, I would love to see Paul beat the crap out of Trip and open his "basic level" mind up through his advanced tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.